Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The foundering of the Prince Ivanhoe off Port Eynon. 11:46 - Jun 18 with 3188 viewsLohengrin

Anybody else on here remember that, anybody else down there on the day? Myself and a few friends were on the beach helping people ashore, I was talking to one of those old friends yesterday and he reminded me of it, it's hard to believe it was thirty six years ago.

Thirty six years! You blink and they're gone....

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The foundering of the Prince Ivanhoe off Port Eynon. on 12:07 - Jun 18 with 3165 viewsGowerjack

I remember it.

In the days following the foundering many Gower locals engaged in a little bit of wrecking which is where the bannister on our stairs came from along with some bulkhead light fittings on the outside of our holiday cottage.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

The foundering of the Prince Ivanhoe off Port Eynon. on 12:15 - Jun 18 with 3157 viewsLohengrin

The foundering of the Prince Ivanhoe off Port Eynon. on 12:07 - Jun 18 by Gowerjack

I remember it.

In the days following the foundering many Gower locals engaged in a little bit of wrecking which is where the bannister on our stairs came from along with some bulkhead light fittings on the outside of our holiday cottage.

Ha! Whisky Galore!

The foundering of the Prince Ivanhoe off Port Eynon. on 12:34 - Jun 18 with 3132 viewsexiledclaseboy

I vaguely remember it.

On a slightly related note we were on Oxwich beach a few years ago on a sunny summer Sunday much like this one. Someone had parked a van on the beach and didn't notice the tide coming in until it was too late. The owners' attempts to save the van from a watery end were most amusing and ultimately futile.

Poll: Tory leader

The foundering of the Prince Ivanhoe off Port Eynon. on 12:53 - Jun 18 with 3111 viewsGowerjack

The foundering of the Prince Ivanhoe off Port Eynon. on 12:15 - Jun 18 by Lohengrin

Ha! Whisky Galore!

I've just discovered we also have a few life jackets from the wreck as well.

This is the story as I've just been told...

It seems that the ill fated vessels Captain was below decks enjoying some light "refreshments" with a board of trade official leaving the helm to a young crew member.

The ship came to far in to the bay and hit a reef at Port Eynon point there was no "uncharted" reef.

The Captain however had the presence of mind to swing the ship around and beach it had he not there may have been a serious loss of life.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

The foundering of the Prince Ivanhoe off Port Eynon. on 12:58 - Jun 18 with 3107 viewsLohengrin

The foundering of the Prince Ivanhoe off Port Eynon. on 12:53 - Jun 18 by Gowerjack

I've just discovered we also have a few life jackets from the wreck as well.

This is the story as I've just been told...

It seems that the ill fated vessels Captain was below decks enjoying some light "refreshments" with a board of trade official leaving the helm to a young crew member.

The ship came to far in to the bay and hit a reef at Port Eynon point there was no "uncharted" reef.

The Captain however had the presence of mind to swing the ship around and beach it had he not there may have been a serious loss of life.

I saw all that. It looked initially as if he was trying to run her aground.

Did you notice on the footage how much sand there was back in 1981?

The foundering of the Prince Ivanhoe off Port Eynon. on 13:01 - Jun 18 with 3099 viewsLohengrin

The foundering of the Prince Ivanhoe off Port Eynon. on 12:34 - Jun 18 by exiledclaseboy

I vaguely remember it.

On a slightly related note we were on Oxwich beach a few years ago on a sunny summer Sunday much like this one. Someone had parked a van on the beach and didn't notice the tide coming in until it was too late. The owners' attempts to save the van from a watery end were most amusing and ultimately futile.

That's the sort of daft thing I'd do!

The foundering of the Prince Ivanhoe off Port Eynon. on 14:38 - Jun 18 with 3034 viewssherpajacob

I don't remember this at all.

Yet as a,teenager on a sunny day in June 1981 I was more than likely down oxwich, pobbles or three cliffs with my school mates.

How do I not recall,
was ian botham performing heroics that day, had the swans just signed latchford., was Sarah Greene wearing something skimpy on blue peter.?

A complete blank.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:58 - Jun 18 with 3021 viewsHighjack

The foundering of the Prince Ivanhoe off Port Eynon. on 12:58 - Jun 18 by Lohengrin

I saw all that. It looked initially as if he was trying to run her aground.

Did you notice on the footage how much sand there was back in 1981?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) (n/t) on 15:13 - Jun 18 with 3006 viewsHighjack

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:58 - Jun 18 by Highjack

My bloody wifi keeps sending empty posts...

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

The foundering of the Prince Ivanhoe off Port Eynon. on 15:56 - Jun 18 with 2979 viewsdickythorpe

http://www.gowershipwrecks.co.uk/2011/01/gower-shipwreck-prince-ivanhoe-port.htm
The foundering of the Prince Ivanhoe off Port Eynon. on 16:02 - Jun 18 with 2972 viewsEbo

I remember it well. I was a 12 year old lad on a break in Oxwich, we had a caravan up in Greenways (I think it's called Warners or something now).

I remember seeing the wreck poking and people swimming up to it.

A fella I used to work with got caught having a look around the wreck many years later. We named and wrote on his trolly in the maintenance shop "HMS Ivanhoe". :)

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

(No subject) (n/t) on 16:03 - Jun 18 with 2969 viewsexiledclaseboy

(No subject) (n/t) on 15:13 - Jun 18 by Highjack

My bloody wifi keeps sending empty posts...

They're among your best posts ever.

Well somebody had to say it.

Poll: Tory leader

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:51 - Jun 18 with 2915 viewsHighjack

(No subject) (n/t) on 16:03 - Jun 18 by exiledclaseboy

They're among your best posts ever.

Well somebody had to say it.

Ooh you bitch

The foundering of the Prince Ivanhoe off Port Eynon. on 18:22 - Jun 18 with 2886 viewsjackharris

I was on the beach when it happened, I was only 5. Like watching a disaster movie.

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024