Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tory-DUP deal in chaos 08:38 - Jun 21 with 1470 viewsHeadmaster

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/queens-speech-dup-theresa-may-tori

So we have a party with no majority trying to push through a Queen's Speech without having formed a government. What a mess.

[Post edited 21 Jun 2017 8:39]
Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 11:12 - Jun 21 with 1413 viewssherpajacob

DUP have told May, "no deal is better than a bad deal"

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 11:16 - Jun 21 with 1402 viewsLeonWasGod

Really impressed with the Tories negotiating prowess. Brexit should be a doddle
Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 11:21 - Jun 21 with 1393 viewslondonlisa2001

Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 11:16 - Jun 21 by LeonWasGod

Really impressed with the Tories negotiating prowess. Brexit should be a doddle

Actually, I'm pleased that they haven't just caved in to anything that the DUP demands in desperation.
Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 11:28 - Jun 21 with 1379 viewsLeonWasGod

Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 11:21 - Jun 21 by londonlisa2001

Actually, I'm pleased that they haven't just caved in to anything that the DUP demands in desperation.

On the one hand that's good in this specific context (not that they should be needing to talk to them in the first place), but a 'no deal' scenario if translated into Brexit will be very poor. Very different kettles of fish though so we'll see. With the EU setting the pace I've more confidence in the process.
Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 11:30 - Jun 21 with 1375 viewsHeadmaster

The gift that keeps on giving

Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 12:10 - Jun 21 with 1330 viewslondonlisa2001

Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 11:28 - Jun 21 by LeonWasGod

On the one hand that's good in this specific context (not that they should be needing to talk to them in the first place), but a 'no deal' scenario if translated into Brexit will be very poor. Very different kettles of fish though so we'll see. With the EU setting the pace I've more confidence in the process.

The whole Brexit issue was always going to be us on the back foot though, they hold all the cards. As those of us against the whole nonsense have said for ages. The number of people that assumed we were the ones with the power because of German cars or similar is quite astonishing.

I'm yet to be convinced it will happen in anything other than a face saving technicality type way.
Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 12:14 - Jun 21 with 1316 viewswestwalesed

Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 12:10 - Jun 21 by londonlisa2001

The whole Brexit issue was always going to be us on the back foot though, they hold all the cards. As those of us against the whole nonsense have said for ages. The number of people that assumed we were the ones with the power because of German cars or similar is quite astonishing.

I'm yet to be convinced it will happen in anything other than a face saving technicality type way.

Which, if that does happen will cause outrage amongst Leave voters. It may not be an easy process, but Leave voters knew that they were voting to leave the EU and it's associated bodies. We were told that endlessly. It feels a bit like moving from one job to another which you *think* will be better but you're not quite sure and prepared to accept that it might all go very very badly indeed. It's a risk, a gamble, but one that as a Leave voter I was willing to take. And considering I work in the Third sector I'll be the first person to lose my job if the money really does dry up completely!

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 12:25 - Jun 21 with 1300 viewslondonlisa2001

Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 12:14 - Jun 21 by westwalesed

Which, if that does happen will cause outrage amongst Leave voters. It may not be an easy process, but Leave voters knew that they were voting to leave the EU and it's associated bodies. We were told that endlessly. It feels a bit like moving from one job to another which you *think* will be better but you're not quite sure and prepared to accept that it might all go very very badly indeed. It's a risk, a gamble, but one that as a Leave voter I was willing to take. And considering I work in the Third sector I'll be the first person to lose my job if the money really does dry up completely!

We were also told endlessly that we'd be like Norway. Hard Brexit is nothing like that.

But your analogy is not quite right. It's more like moving from one job to another which you think will be better, but you're not quite sure and being prepared to accept that it may all go very badly indeed for everyone, even those who decided they didn't want to move jobs in the first place,

If moving job, you're only gambling your own future, and even then, it's not permanent.

And the third sector's money will only dry up if the private sector has gone before it, so you wouldn't be first but someway behind.
Login to get fewer ads

Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 12:47 - Jun 21 with 1269 viewslondonlisa2001

Dennis Skinner "get your skates on, the first race is at half past two"

Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 12:50 - Jun 21 with 1265 viewswestwalesed

Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 12:25 - Jun 21 by londonlisa2001

We were also told endlessly that we'd be like Norway. Hard Brexit is nothing like that.

But your analogy is not quite right. It's more like moving from one job to another which you think will be better, but you're not quite sure and being prepared to accept that it may all go very badly indeed for everyone, even those who decided they didn't want to move jobs in the first place,

If moving job, you're only gambling your own future, and even then, it's not permanent.

And the third sector's money will only dry up if the private sector has gone before it, so you wouldn't be first but someway behind.

I'll pass on your optimism to my Communist colleagues!!! :)

I do prefer the phrase "clean Brexit" - hard has been invented by people opposed to us leaving the EU at all in my opinion.

I'm not sure your modification of the analogy is correct ether, as when I voted ( I can't speak for others) I was thinking "How do I want to be Governed? How would I want my offspring to be Governed?" - moving job is rather the same, it's about you and your closest.

Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 12:55 - Jun 21 with 1253 viewslondonlisa2001

Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 12:50 - Jun 21 by westwalesed

I do prefer the phrase "clean Brexit" - hard has been invented by people opposed to us leaving the EU at all in my opinion.

I'm not sure your modification of the analogy is correct ether, as when I voted ( I can't speak for others) I was thinking "How do I want to be Governed? How would I want my offspring to be Governed?" - moving job is rather the same, it's about you and your closest.

Lol.

I hope, as everyone else does, that all goes swimmingly. Since I also care about myself and my closest.

I think we should leave, even though I voted against it, as that is what democracy is about. I'm just not certain after last week (or the week before now) brexit will take the same form as it would have done.
Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 13:06 - Jun 21 with 1230 viewswestwalesed

Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 12:55 - Jun 21 by londonlisa2001

Lol.

I hope, as everyone else does, that all goes swimmingly. Since I also care about myself and my closest.

I think we should leave, even though I voted against it, as that is what democracy is about. I'm just not certain after last week (or the week before now) brexit will take the same form as it would have done.

The concern of course is that any "fiddling" of Brexit (real or perceived) will result in a huge public backlash by those who voted Leave. Lets face it, the vast majority of MP's believe that the great unwashed have dropped a clanger and they believe that this is their opportunity to lessen the blow, as they see it.

Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 13:16 - Jun 21 with 1219 viewslondonlisa2001

Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 13:06 - Jun 21 by westwalesed

The concern of course is that any "fiddling" of Brexit (real or perceived) will result in a huge public backlash by those who voted Leave. Lets face it, the vast majority of MP's believe that the great unwashed have dropped a clanger and they believe that this is their opportunity to lessen the blow, as they see it.

They do see it that way, I'm sure.

I'm not so certain about a huge public backlash though. I think many people would be quite happy with a technical exit.
Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 13:28 - Jun 21 with 1200 viewsmonmouth

We should all be down on our knees praying to a pixie in the sky that doesn't exist that your last sentence comes to pass Lisa. That way, we will only be a bit worse off instead of catastrophically up Shit Street.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 13:41 - Jun 21 with 1175 viewsHighjack

Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 12:50 - Jun 21 by westwalesed

Of course the media alternative to clean Brexit would of course be a dirty Brexit, the latter being the title of a very dubious Swedish film starring Helga hornbuckle, available from all video shop back rooms.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Tory-DUP deal in chaos on 14:38 - Jun 21 with 1145 viewsLeonWasGod

Agree with the first paragraph. I'm surprised people bought May's rhetoric about taking a hard line. There's no reason to have bought any of that as the EU have given a clear and consistent commentary on what the process would be since the first month after the referendum.

As the time ticks by it's looking more likely that it won't happen at all, let alone a watered down version. It's going to be interesting to see how they wriggle out of it or deliver a soft Brexit AND keep the 52% happy at the same time. Rock and a hard place springs to mind.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024