Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blowers 13:27 - Jun 23 with 996 viewsCountyJim

To retire at end of this season

Will be sadly missed on TMS

His ramblings on buses pigeons and cranes will be missed
Blowers on 13:46 - Jun 23 with 976 viewsCooperman

I agree Jim. His dulcet tones on a warm summers day will be hard to replace.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Blowers on 13:49 - Jun 23 with 973 viewslondonlisa2001

I could quite happily listen to Henry Blofeld and the others rambling on for the whole day when the sun is out.

Irrespective of interest in cricket, they are a triumph of broadcasting and worth the licence fee by themselves. I always think it's a shame they can't do the commentary on all other sports. The only thing that comes close is the BBC's Wimbledon coverage on the radio which is also often wonderful.
Blowers on 14:17 - Jun 23 with 944 viewstheloneranger

His father Thomas was at Eton with Ian Fleming and is believed to have been the inspiration for James Bonds arch enemy Ernst Stavro Blofeld!!

His dulcet tones will be missed as are Brian Johnston and John Arlott.

I met him many years ago when he was a guest speaker at a cricket event and he came across as an old Etonian snob, not wanting to mix with the common man, even refusing autographs to youngsters.

Spoilt my image of him, but he still is a wonderful commentator.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Blowers on 14:36 - Jun 23 with 931 viewsProfessor

The last of "The Old School" on TMS. Arlott, Johnston, Bailey, Trueman...

Still some excellent commentators/presenters ( Agnew, Vic Marks, Michale Vaughan, Alison Mitchell ,Ebony Rainsford-Brent and even "Sir Geoffrey") there, but clearly a move towards a more polished and professional approach in recent years. Less of the' gentleman's club' atmosphere
Blowers on 14:40 - Jun 23 with 924 viewsVetchfielder

Big Swans fan

Proud to have been one of the 231

Blowers on 14:51 - Jun 23 with 912 viewsWarwickHunt

Played in a charidee six-a-side tournament at the Oval years ago and Blowers was commentating.

I'll take the "Oh my word, what a splendid cover drive!" to the grave.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2017 15:02]
Blowers on 16:25 - Jun 23 with 853 viewsdickythorpe

Cricket's answer to Norman Wisdom!

I bet he's a right dirty old man.

Like David Lloyd on Sky, great when you're in the mood to listen to irreverant ramblings but a right pain in the 'arris when you're wanting to concentrate on the action, which sometimes Blowers and his ilk think they are superior to!!!
Blowers on 16:29 - Jun 23 with 849 viewsdickythorpe

Blowers on 14:51 - Jun 23 by WarwickHunt

Played in a charidee six-a-side tournament at the Oval years ago and Blowers was commentating.

I'll take the "Oh my word, what a splendid cover drive!" to the grave.
[Post edited 23 Jun 2017 15:02]

My mate met him a few years back and said he was a bit aloof but did come up with some funny comments.
"My boy that's a humdinger of a bat you have"

Plus in fairness he cracked me up when co-commentating with Vaughan when the South Africans came over and whilst Amla scored his triple century, Blowers got totally bored and started describing houses near the ground as "foolish"
Login to get fewer ads

Blowers on 19:26 - Jun 23 with 794 viewsexiledclaseboy

As much as I love TMS, Blofeld has been an anachronism for some time now. His plummy, borderline hysterical style doesn't fit in with the other, younger commentators and pundits. I won't miss him.

Poll: Tory leader

Blowers on 19:57 - Jun 23 with 775 viewsploppy

Blowers on 19:26 - Jun 23 by exiledclaseboy

As much as I love TMS, Blofeld has been an anachronism for some time now. His plummy, borderline hysterical style doesn't fit in with the other, younger commentators and pundits. I won't miss him.

Bah, humbug.
Blowers on 20:04 - Jun 23 with 769 viewsexiledclaseboy

Blowers on 19:57 - Jun 23 by ploppy

Bah, humbug.

just my view.

Poll: Tory leader

Blowers on 20:17 - Jun 23 with 753 viewssherpajacob

I will miss him, a bit of a dinosaur but his way with words is unmatched by any current commentators.

I listened to his audio book, "squeezing the Orange " and it's an enjoyable romp through his eventful life.

The passage where he describes a dinner party with John arlot is priceless.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Blowers on 20:45 - Jun 23 with 734 viewslondonlisa2001

Blowers on 19:26 - Jun 23 by exiledclaseboy

I always think it's exactly that anachronistic style which causes the others to spark off him.

He and 'Tuffers' together in particular are great fun.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024