Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Red Wine - White wine 23:45 - Jun 23 with 6274 viewsPokerface

There really is no reason to spend more than £5 on a decent wine to drink at home.

Treble that price at least in a restaurant for same wine. Worth it though, given right occasion / venue.

Red wine wins hands down every time.

Red or White. Is it red for blokes more commonly and white for women . If so, why ?

Best reds for consistently good. Chile, Australia, Spain,South Africa and France. In that order. At that price- £5

Poll: Most boring poster....and least football knowledge

Red Wine - White wine on 23:46 - Jun 23 with 2121 viewsBanosswan

Red

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Red Wine - White wine on 23:50 - Jun 23 with 2111 viewslonglostjack

Blue Nun

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Red Wine - White wine on 23:57 - Jun 23 with 2098 viewsWarwickHunt

The fixed costs for a £5 bottle of wine are about £4.50, leaving 50p for the wine.

Spend about a tenner and you should usually notice a huge difference. If it still all tastes the same to you then stick with the cheap stuff.
Red Wine - White wine on 00:02 - Jun 24 with 2091 viewsPokerface

I have spent £20 plus on wine from a decent wholesaler and not a great difference. So yep £5 ok with me.

Is that ok with you ? For 2nd night running. How do you spell Pretentious ?

Red Wine - White wine on 00:04 - Jun 24 with 2085 viewslonglostjack

Red Wine - White wine on 23:57 - Jun 23 by WarwickHunt

The fixed costs for a £5 bottle of wine are about £4.50, leaving 50p for the wine.

Spend about a tenner and you should usually notice a huge difference. If it still all tastes the same to you then stick with the cheap stuff.

Is the right answer. If the cheaper stuff then Oz Shiraz / Chardonnay .

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Red Wine - White wine on 00:11 - Jun 24 with 2076 viewsPokerface

In a blind tasting test the 'Experts' which are not on this site, often choose the cheaper wine over bottles costing far greater.

Its laughable ... some want to be hooray friggin Henrys are trying to act all posh like.

I know all too many people who love to put on an act. See through a mile off. Carry on though if it inflates egos. Heard it all b4.

Red Wine - White wine on 00:12 - Jun 24 with 2062 viewsDarran

Red Wine - White wine on 00:11 - Jun 24 by Pokerface

In a blind tasting test the 'Experts' which are not on this site, often choose the cheaper wine over bottles costing far greater.

Its laughable ... some want to be hooray friggin Henrys are trying to act all posh like.

I know all too many people who love to put on an act. See through a mile off. Carry on though if it inflates egos. Heard it all b4.

I agree Bob that Warwick fella is a right cock.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Red Wine - White wine on 00:13 - Jun 24 with 2073 viewsmorningstar

Red Wine - White wine on 00:02 - Jun 24 by Pokerface

I have spent £20 plus on wine from a decent wholesaler and not a great difference. So yep £5 ok with me.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Login to get fewer ads

Red Wine - White wine on 00:15 - Jun 24 with 2062 viewsPokerface

Red Wine - White wine on 00:13 - Jun 24 by morningstar

Are my taste buds dead ?Smoking and black coffee can do that.

Red Wine - White wine on 00:21 - Jun 24 with 2051 viewsmonmouth

Absolutely this. Every extra £ over shared costsis purely on the quality of the wine, unless it's on the hype.

Therefore assume fixed costs on reasonable volume is £2.50 per bottle, then a £10 bottle is three times better in terms of wine quality than a £5 bottle.

Or it should be. In theory....

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Red Wine - White wine on 00:32 - Jun 24 with 2026 viewsPokerface

Red Wine - White wine on 00:21 - Jun 24 by monmouth

Absolutely this. Every extra £ over shared costsis purely on the quality of the wine, unless it's on the hype.

Therefore assume fixed costs on reasonable volume is £2.50 per bottle, then a £10 bottle is three times better in terms of wine quality than a £5 bottle.

Or it should be. In theory....

Can you tell the difference between a £5 bottle and a £10 bottle ?

Tesco, Asda , Co-op every week have very good wine for sale at £5. Bottles that sell for £20 plus at local restaurants.

If you can taste the difference then fairplay to you. Alot said is rubbish and the stats have been spouted for years and the supposed need to spend a few quid more .... rubbish.. fact. More profit is made on more expensive wines.

Not guarantee of better quality. Ask someone who works in the industry ( a friend not a sales rep) rather than daily mail / Times bollocks.

Red Wine - White wine on 00:42 - Jun 24 with 2018 viewsmonmouth

Red Wine - White wine on 00:32 - Jun 24 by Pokerface

Can you tell the difference between a £5 bottle and a £10 bottle ?

Tesco, Asda , Co-op every week have very good wine for sale at £5. Bottles that sell for £20 plus at local restaurants.

If you can taste the difference then fairplay to you. Alot said is rubbish and the stats have been spouted for years and the supposed need to spend a few quid more .... rubbish.. fact. More profit is made on more expensive wines.

Not guarantee of better quality. Ask someone who works in the industry ( a friend not a sales rep) rather than daily mail / Times bollocks.

I like them all mate, but yeah, I can generally tell the difference between say, a good barolo and a Lidl Barolo, or a rioja and a decent gran reserva, or the brilliant Jip Jip (75ml of justification for Warwick right there) but that doesn't mean that I think it's often worth the extra for normal drinking, and I'm quite happy with the lower price bottles. Most £5 red bottles are a bit too soft for me, lacking in any real guts and body, but I do like the old £4 Toro Percho Loco from Aldi well enough.

I can't really tell much difference in whites though, unless it's sweet and shitty, so I don't pay a lot for those as long as they are very dry.

Red Wine - White wine on 00:53 - Jun 24 with 2010 viewslondonlisa2001

50p includes the shipping cost, bottle etc.

About 15p is the wine.
Red Wine - White wine on 00:54 - Jun 24 with 2007 viewsmorningstar

Red Wine - White wine on 00:42 - Jun 24 by monmouth

I like them all mate, but yeah, I can generally tell the difference between say, a good barolo and a Lidl Barolo, or a rioja and a decent gran reserva, or the brilliant Jip Jip (75ml of justification for Warwick right there) but that doesn't mean that I think it's often worth the extra for normal drinking, and I'm quite happy with the lower price bottles. Most £5 red bottles are a bit too soft for me, lacking in any real guts and body, but I do like the old £4 Toro Percho Loco from Aldi well enough.

I can't really tell much difference in whites though, unless it's sweet and shitty, so I don't pay a lot for those as long as they are very dry.

Whenever i fancy a glass of wine i leave some Strongbow out until it gets flat, then add 25% water and a touch of Sarsons vinegar. Trust me, you wouldn't tell the difference.

Edit: It has to be Sarsons, anything else and it'll taste shit.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2017 0:56]

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Red Wine - White wine on 00:56 - Jun 24 with 2000 viewsEbo

I used to love red wine but it plays hell with my guts so I knocked it on the head. I do like a good Aussie red now and again though. My rule of thumb is that you can drink Aussie or South African reds quite young, but Spanish reds need a bit of maturing. I like this one called 'The old black stump' which is a decent drop if you can find it.

These days I'll drink rose or sparkling like a wimp. My stomach thanks me for it.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Red Wine - White wine on 02:02 - Jun 24 with 1961 viewsWarwickHunt

Red Wine - White wine on 00:02 - Jun 24 by Pokerface

Not with a capital letter unless you're starting a sentence with it. Dullard.

Enjoy your cheap plonk, chav.
Red Wine - White wine on 02:55 - Jun 24 with 1956 viewsBrynCartwright

For parties back at the old Ponderosa the missus and I utilise Barolo.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Red Wine - White wine on 07:53 - Jun 24 with 1900 viewsswanjackal

I can't tell the difference between brands, so a £3 lidl special tastes no different to an expensive one. For me , on the rare occasions I drink now, if it's wine, I will go for several £3 - £5 bottles over a single more expensive bottle. Drinking for me is to get f'cked up , and one bottle does not cut it, so for something that tastes foul to me, I'd rather go cheap and risk blindness than pretend to like the stuff and be snooty and have a large hole in my wallet.

Edit:. Also I have nothing against wine snobs, been at the bar a few times where some clunge has refused a glass of wine for it being "corked", and have benefited by drinking it before it is thrown out.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2017 8:25]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Red Wine - White wine on 08:13 - Jun 24 with 1879 viewsSenhin

I can usually tell the difference between the really cheap ones and the £8-10 ones. After that I cant, so i generally buy them around that price. I prefer Malbec.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

Red Wine - White wine on 08:16 - Jun 24 with 1873 viewswaynekerr55

There's some great wines in Lidl and Aldi around the tenner mark. Although the Toro Loco Tempranilo at 3.49 is surprisingly good.

I find the slightly more expensive wines (UCO Valley Malbecas at 9 quid) more smooth.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Red Wine - White wine on 08:19 - Jun 24 with 1865 viewsmonmouth

If you really think you can't tell the difference, go on a wine tasting. We went on one last year in Tuscany and the difference between a cheap, moderate, expensive and ridiculous Chianti was absolutely stark.

Law of diminishing returns kicks in, unless money is no object, but for special occassions, definitely worth paying.

Red Wine - White wine on 08:21 - Jun 24 with 1862 viewsswanjackal

Warm/room temperature red wine is foul too, has to be chilled to be bearable for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Red Wine - White wine on 08:35 - Jun 24 with 1844 viewsWarwickHunt

Red Wine - White wine on 08:21 - Jun 24 by swanjackal

Warm/room temperature red wine is foul too, has to be chilled to be bearable for me.

Ever tried Thunderbird, mate?
Red Wine - White wine on 08:50 - Jun 24 with 1836 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Both, surely??
Reds for me , Malbec (especially Argentinean) , Cab sav (a really good one) , Chateauneuf Du Pape, Shiraz
White - not keen on Sav blanc (to acidic for me) any good chardonnay which hasn't been oak aged (yuk, WTF etc) Muscadet , Chablis
Any Champers. Goes without saying !

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Red Wine - White wine on 09:06 - Jun 24 with 1818 viewswaynekerr55

Red Wine - White wine on 08:21 - Jun 24 by swanjackal

Chilled red???

You anarchist you! 😂

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024