Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea Museum 20:26 - Jun 25 with 3961 viewsmorningstar

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-39934918

Great shame but c'mon, the place is well past it's sell by date. Hardly anyone visits there anymore. it's totally unsustainable and a total waste of over half a million pounds a year which could be be better spent elsewhere. Certainly time to sell it off into private hands. Would make a great hotel that would make Morgans look like a hostel!

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Swansea Museum on 20:50 - Jun 25 with 3897 viewsswanjackal

The most deceptive looking building from face on. Looks fairly large, but is tiny when you enter. Sad to see any museum struggle though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Swansea Museum on 22:18 - Jun 25 with 3820 viewsPrivate_Partz

It is only in the state it is in bacause Local Government has been shafted for nearly a decade and can no longer afford to support their museums. These along with Libraries are closing all over the Country as LAs struggle to keep their statutory requirements of Social Services and Education in tact.
I have first hand experience of this and administration, Leisure and technical are all taking massive hits.
I have a horrible feeling that many of these cuts have had a detrimental effect on both Health and Safety and the Building Inspectorate which is likely to have a bearing on the massive of problems those living in tower blocks are now suffering.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Swansea Museum on 22:20 - Jun 25 with 3812 viewsdickythorpe

It must be kept open!!!
Swansea Museum on 22:26 - Jun 25 with 3798 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea Museum on 22:20 - Jun 25 by dickythorpe

It must be kept open!!!

I agree. I remember going there on school trips as a child in the 1960s and it was a very impressive place.
I went there about 6 months ago and it is a shadow if it's former self.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Swansea Museum on 22:38 - Jun 25 with 3769 viewsmorningstar

Swansea Museum on 22:26 - Jun 25 by Private_Partz

I agree. I remember going there on school trips as a child in the 1960s and it was a very impressive place.
I went there about 6 months ago and it is a shadow if it's former self.

As someone brought up in the centre of Swansea, it was a day out as kids during the 6 week summer hols. We'd go there, look around and then play outside for a few hours on the tram, train etc. But in 40 years since nothing has changed. In fact, things have been taken away. There is no interest in the place sadly. Lovely building, but let's use it for something else and move forward. It's nothing more than a drain on public funds.

Swansea Museum on 22:40 - Jun 25 with 3757 viewsJoe_bradshaw

The First World War exhibit is excellent.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Swansea Museum on 22:48 - Jun 25 with 3742 viewsmorningstar

Swansea Museum on 22:40 - Jun 25 by Joe_bradshaw

The First World War exhibit is excellent.

Indeed it is Joe. But not worth over half a million pounds a year for ten people a day to go and view it.

Swansea Museum on 22:48 - Jun 25 with 3742 viewsmax936

Swansea Museum on 22:20 - Jun 25 by dickythorpe

It must be kept open!!!

This 100% its synonymous with the Maritime History of Swansea and Swansea itself..

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea Museum on 22:55 - Jun 25 with 3728 viewsmorningstar

Swansea Museum on 22:48 - Jun 25 by max936

This 100% its synonymous with the Maritime History of Swansea and Swansea itself..

But we have the National Maritime Museum 200 yards away!

Anything else Swansea related doesn't need to be exhibited in a building that costs so much to upkeep?

Swansea Museum on 23:00 - Jun 25 with 3725 viewsjack2jack

The building and the history of Swansea must be maintained,for future generations,otherwise it will all be forgotten and that saddens me.We will just end up as a new town, where buildings are meaningless.I mean if you walk around the Guildhall you can see the scars of shrapnel marks on the building from WWII. I mentioned it one to a youngster and he was fascinated,you can't build that sort of history.
I understand times move on and I'm just a soppy sentimental type,however it is possible to integrate the old and the new and maintain some character.
As for the old museum it is suffering from a lack of investment,I suppose in these oestere times there are more important issues that need attention.
Swansea Museum on 23:05 - Jun 25 with 3710 viewsmax936

Swansea Museum on 22:55 - Jun 25 by morningstar

But we have the National Maritime Museum 200 yards away!

Anything else Swansea related doesn't need to be exhibited in a building that costs so much to upkeep?

It stays for me, opinions in it, I haven't called in there for a year or so, but I will soon its a remarkable building and the exhibits the same.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Swansea Museum on 23:19 - Jun 25 with 3686 viewsmorningstar

Swansea Museum on 23:00 - Jun 25 by jack2jack

The building and the history of Swansea must be maintained,for future generations,otherwise it will all be forgotten and that saddens me.We will just end up as a new town, where buildings are meaningless.I mean if you walk around the Guildhall you can see the scars of shrapnel marks on the building from WWII. I mentioned it one to a youngster and he was fascinated,you can't build that sort of history.
I understand times move on and I'm just a soppy sentimental type,however it is possible to integrate the old and the new and maintain some character.
As for the old museum it is suffering from a lack of investment,I suppose in these oestere times there are more important issues that need attention.

I'm not advocating knocking it down or turning the Guildhall into an indoor Leisure park mun! Of course we should retain our past heritage, but Swansea museum just isn't doing that. It's a stale boring state of affairs that means no matter whatever money you throw at it, it will remain a drain on our taxes. Seriously, when was the last time you went there, or even spoke with anyone who went there? The place is finished.

Swansea Museum on 23:28 - Jun 25 with 3670 viewsjack2jack

Swansea Museum on 23:19 - Jun 25 by morningstar

I'm not advocating knocking it down or turning the Guildhall into an indoor Leisure park mun! Of course we should retain our past heritage, but Swansea museum just isn't doing that. It's a stale boring state of affairs that means no matter whatever money you throw at it, it will remain a drain on our taxes. Seriously, when was the last time you went there, or even spoke with anyone who went there? The place is finished.

I hear what your saying chief. Ummmm last time I went there was about 10 years ago with my daughter. Maybe it not cool enough for kids,I don't know,maybe history just doesn't float people's boat anymore, if it isn't viable or sustainable then it needs to morph into something else.
Swansea Museum on 23:40 - Jun 25 with 3656 viewsKilkennyjack

Hard i know but lets feck it off asap. There said it.

Replace it with the new 'Football Museum for Wales'.
All digital, modern, the works.
Ivor, big John, cliffy, big Tosh, sprake, leighton, Deano, cookie, hartson, curt, joey, ben , it works in our only premiership city.
And would massively p@ss off all other welsh clubs in one go.

Perfect solution.

Beware of the Risen People

Swansea Museum on 08:43 - Jun 26 with 3568 viewsPegojack

Why not turn it into a nightclub for the over 50's and call it - wait for it - The Museum?
Swansea Museum on 08:52 - Jun 26 with 3559 viewsswanjackal

Swansea Museum on 08:43 - Jun 26 by Pegojack

Why not turn it into a nightclub for the over 50's and call it - wait for it - The Museum?

Or the over 70s, and call it the "Mausoleum".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Swansea Museum on 09:30 - Jun 26 with 3517 viewsWarwickHunt

Museyroom (©Joyce, J).
Swansea Museum on 09:45 - Jun 26 with 3507 viewswaynekerr55

Swansea Museum on 09:30 - Jun 26 by WarwickHunt

Museyroom (©Joyce, J).

With Shaky and you on the turntables, back to back

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Swansea Museum on 10:05 - Jun 26 with 3497 viewsAnotherJohn

The museum does have interesting exhibitions. However, I actually prefer the overflow building near the stadium. This contains some fascinating larger exhibits, and is good for an hour or two browsing around the various aisles and randomly-arranged objects.
Swansea Museum on 12:44 - Jun 26 with 3397 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea Museum on 22:38 - Jun 25 by morningstar

As someone brought up in the centre of Swansea, it was a day out as kids during the 6 week summer hols. We'd go there, look around and then play outside for a few hours on the tram, train etc. But in 40 years since nothing has changed. In fact, things have been taken away. There is no interest in the place sadly. Lovely building, but let's use it for something else and move forward. It's nothing more than a drain on public funds.

I don't agree it is a drain on Public funds. It is the austerity/ cut backs that are making it a drain. Properly funded LAs should be able to support institutions such as these. They are there for the benefit of all and should not been seen as wasted money.

Swansea Museum on 12:47 - Jun 26 with 3389 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea Museum on 23:40 - Jun 25 by Kilkennyjack

Hard i know but lets feck it off asap. There said it.

Replace it with the new 'Football Museum for Wales'.
All digital, modern, the works.
Ivor, big John, cliffy, big Tosh, sprake, leighton, Deano, cookie, hartson, curt, joey, ben , it works in our only premiership city.
And would massively p@ss off all other welsh clubs in one go.

Perfect solution.

Why not have both? Celebrate both Swansea's cultural and sporting achievements.

Swansea Museum on 15:46 - Jun 26 with 3319 viewsDyfnant

Empty the place, seal it up and convert it to the aquarium the council are on about. No one can go and see that as well then

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Swansea Museum on 23:35 - Jun 26 with 3213 viewsKilkennyjack

Swansea Museum on 12:47 - Jun 26 by Private_Partz

Why not have both? Celebrate both Swansea's cultural and sporting achievements.

Fair point.

Beware of the Risen People

Swansea Museum on 23:54 - Jun 26 with 3202 viewsTNT

Swansea Museum on 08:43 - Jun 26 by Pegojack

Would there be an under 30s night?

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Swansea Museum on 00:02 - Jun 27 with 3197 viewsLeonWasGod

Whilst they've been challenged to raise funds I don't think selling to developers was the thinking! Coke and hooker bar would do well though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024