Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm finding that I am being strangely sucked in by the charm of Rochdale 09:41 - Jun 13 with 3536 viewsCanavanOfLove

I find myself anxiously looking forward to the fixtures being released, yet not for Ipswich but for Rochdale. What is going on!

I've been an Ipswich season ticket holder for 34 of my 37 years. Seen them away at 50 + league grounds. Admittedly I am excited for the Norwich games but that is about it.

Cherish what you've got people. When certain owners and managers can make you almost not even care about following your own team you know it's bad. It's been coming for 2-3 years and we've dropped to 8,000 season ticket holders. Crowds will be down from 16,000 last season (only 13,000 in the ground for most part as 3,000 season ticket holders were not turning up) to around 11,000 if we are lucky next.

Yet in total contrast to being sat bored, watching McCarthy hoofball at a club that sees fans as customers to exploit with the highest prices for the cheapest possible service, I cannot wait to start following Dale next season. I fully anticipate that I'll see as many Rochdale games as Ipswich ones.

For the first time last season I missed 3 or 4 home games which I'd paid for, when I live 15 minutes from Portman Road, because I simply couldn't be bothered. I'd have considered that unimaginable a few years ago.

I may not be a Rochdale fan, but your club has at least reignited my excitement for going to football. So thank you!
I'm finding that I am being strangely sucked in by the charm of Rochdale on 12:02 - Jun 13 with 3408 viewsTipperaryDale

I was also strangely sucked in Rochdale once...

In all seriousness, if only the inhabitants of our town were as enthused as you obviously are.
I'm finding that I am being strangely sucked in by the charm of Rochdale on 13:09 - Jun 13 with 3322 viewsCanavanOfLove

I'm finding that I am being strangely sucked in by the charm of Rochdale on 12:02 - Jun 13 by TipperaryDale

I was also strangely sucked in Rochdale once...

In all seriousness, if only the inhabitants of our town were as enthused as you obviously are.

There's so much about football that depresses me but at the same time I am also a massive part of creating that problem.

When you hear people refer to themselves as football fanatics, well that is me I am afraid. I've been following Ipswich since the age of 3 when my Dad started taking me to every game on the back of him having not missed a game himself since he was 6. I started going to away games with him aged 7. I worked for Ipswich Town and even my job now involves football (I'm developing a football management game).

Before that I'd watch 3 or 4 live games a week. Now I watch the MLS, Dutch football, Swiss football, Australian games, you name it. I'm completely and utterly saturated by it, which in turn means I pay to subscribe to a lot of the services like Sky that have made football so much poorer. It's not the money in the game it's the distribution of wealth and how the FL is dictated to by the PL, but that's another story.

As a result of that Ipswich have become trapped in being just about organised enough not to go down largely due to McCarthy's effective but horrendous to watch tactics and all the parachute clubs we cannot possible catch up with. Even that hasn't put me off ITFC, it's more to do with the fans being taken for mugs by the owner and plenty of us have had enough.

So that brings me to Rochdale. A team I have always had a soft spot for. I have no passion at all for watching Ipswich stick 10 men behind the ball at the same old soul less places like Reading and Derby where I've been countless times.

It'll be fun to watch a proper club that does things the right way in stadiums I haven't been to (due to Ipswich being in top two tiers for over 60 years) and it'll be my pleasure to contribute in a very small way to Rochdale financially and support wise.

What frustrates me the most though is how many people in Ipswich and Rochdale will support West Ham, Arsenal or Man United or City. It's a real shame that people actively hunt success like that.

The beauty of seeing Ipswich succeed in 2000 was the heartbreak and failure that wen't before. I can only imagine how you guys felt when you finally made it into League One. That to a Dale fan would be a million times better than any plastic city fan celebrating that Aguero goal.
I'm finding that I am being strangely sucked in by the charm of Rochdale on 20:16 - Jun 15 with 2895 viewsFatCat

Your going through what I did a couple of seasons back.
I first got into football in the 77-78 season with West Ham being my team.
They got relegated that campaign.
However, I looked at the football league tables at the end of the season and saw Rochdale finish at the bottom of the pile.
I've had more than a soft spot for them ever since.
Two years ago I made my first trip to Spotland as well as taking in Dale away games down South.
I'm Essex based.
I'm finding that I am being strangely sucked in by the charm of Rochdale on 20:49 - Jun 15 with 2853 viewsdavidab2202

I'm finding that I am being strangely sucked in by the charm of Rochdale on 20:16 - Jun 15 by FatCat

Your going through what I did a couple of seasons back.
I first got into football in the 77-78 season with West Ham being my team.
They got relegated that campaign.
However, I looked at the football league tables at the end of the season and saw Rochdale finish at the bottom of the pile.
I've had more than a soft spot for them ever since.
Two years ago I made my first trip to Spotland as well as taking in Dale away games down South.
I'm Essex based.

Perhaps this leads to the interesting question as to which other teams posters on here have "soft spots "for and why
Mine were Tottenham,because coming from a farming background,the Cockerel on the badge swung it for me.My brother also always looked out for Cowdenbeath results presumably for the same season.He must have had a worrying season last year!!!
I'm finding that I am being strangely sucked in by the charm of Rochdale on 21:20 - Jun 15 with 2826 viewschalkyncfc

I'm finding that I am being strangely sucked in by the charm of Rochdale on 20:49 - Jun 15 by davidab2202

Perhaps this leads to the interesting question as to which other teams posters on here have "soft spots "for and why
Mine were Tottenham,because coming from a farming background,the Cockerel on the badge swung it for me.My brother also always looked out for Cowdenbeath results presumably for the same season.He must have had a worrying season last year!!!

Strange that you mention Cowdenbeath as I also look out for their results on a Saturday, when I was in my teens in the 70's and only watched local team Arnold FC at home I would notice that when the football results came in with Dickie Davis at 4.45 Cowdenbeath was always the team that was at the bottom of the bottom league of Scottish football,40 years on they still are
The only other two team that I look out for are Forest and Rochdale and believe it or not I like to see you lot do well
I'm finding that I am being strangely sucked in by the charm of Rochdale on 21:25 - Jun 15 with 2818 viewsfitzochris

I'm finding that I am being strangely sucked in by the charm of Rochdale on 21:20 - Jun 15 by chalkyncfc

Strange that you mention Cowdenbeath as I also look out for their results on a Saturday, when I was in my teens in the 70's and only watched local team Arnold FC at home I would notice that when the football results came in with Dickie Davis at 4.45 Cowdenbeath was always the team that was at the bottom of the bottom league of Scottish football,40 years on they still are
The only other two team that I look out for are Forest and Rochdale and believe it or not I like to see you lot do well

To be fair, it's only recently that Cowdenbeath have fallen on hard times. East Stirlingshire held the mantle as the worst team in Scotland for the past decade or so.

Cowdenbeath were not a bad side during that time. The bold Mixu Paatelainen had them playing some lovely stuff at one point.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

I'm finding that I am being strangely sucked in by the charm of Rochdale on 08:33 - Jun 16 with 2677 viewsAtThePeake

I'm finding that I am being strangely sucked in by the charm of Rochdale on 20:49 - Jun 15 by davidab2202

coys

Tangled up in blue.

I'm finding that I am being strangely sucked in by the charm of Rochdale on 10:47 - Jun 16 with 2568 viewsyemaalad

coys

the dale are dead good at the footy

Login to get fewer ads

I'm finding that I am being strangely sucked in by the charm of Rochdale on 10:57 - Jun 16 with 2552 viewssoulboy

How can anyone not have a soft spot for Fort William FC, you can always rely on them to concede an average of 4 a game and finish rock bottom. I always look for their result, a Dale win and a three goal defeat or less for FWFC means its a great weekend!
I'm finding that I am being strangely sucked in by the charm of Rochdale on 13:06 - Jun 16 with 2461 viewsSaxonDale

The title of this thread sounds like the opening line from a piece by Keats or Byron.
I'm finding that I am being strangely sucked in by the charm of Rochdale on 15:01 - Jun 16 with 2394 viewsShun

I'm finding that I am being strangely sucked in by the charm of Rochdale on 13:06 - Jun 16 by SaxonDale

The title of this thread sounds like the opening line from a piece by Keats or Byron.

Oh Saxon don't. I love a bit of Keats!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024