Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) 16:09 - Nov 27 with 10025 views1mark1

Self explanatory.

How many on here regard Rochdale as Lancashire, rather than Manchester, or themselves as Lancastrian or Manc? I regard Rochdale as a Lancashire , and I am a Lancastrian not a Manc.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2017 16:18]

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 22:01 - Nov 27 with 3014 viewsnordenblue

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 21:55 - Nov 27 by D_Alien

Let's get started on Hebden Bridge, nb!

I'll start with - there's a cracking little microbrewery just off the main street

As for where we live, my local county cricket team is Lancashire so that's good enough for me

Nice to visit granted,full of sandal wearing tree huggers not to mention the ridiculously large proportion of "women",the network to and from is worse than shite and anything resembling a rain cloud brings full closure and floods!!!
Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 22:10 - Nov 27 with 3006 viewsD_Alien

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 22:01 - Nov 27 by nordenblue

Nice to visit granted,full of sandal wearing tree huggers not to mention the ridiculously large proportion of "women",the network to and from is worse than shite and anything resembling a rain cloud brings full closure and floods!!!

It's built on a ley line, apparently

But you have to admit, the trees in Hardcastle Crags are very huggable, i quite like ridiculously large proportions of women and i suspect they congregate there for full closure, in the knowledge it's not easy to get in or out

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 22:24 - Nov 27 with 2983 views1mark1

I'll start with - there's a cracking little microbrewery just off the main street

As for where we live, my local county cricket team is Lancashire so that's good enough for me

And the HQ of Lancashire CC, is Manchester . Therefore even Manchester is Lancashire.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 23:31 - Nov 27 with 2939 viewsYadHoDale

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 20:40 - Nov 27 by firgrovedale51

"I can confirm that the Government still stand by this statement,.…that the local authority areas and boundaries introduced in April 1974 do not alter the traditional boundaries of counties. The 1974 arrangements are entirely administrative, and need not affect long-standing loyalties and affinities.”
Michael Portillo MP, Minister of State for Local Government — 11th July 1990

Which traditional boundaries, though?

Pre 1182, Lancashire did not exist. North of the Ribble was in Yorkshire, South ( including Rochdale) was attached to Cheshire.

Then before the Norman conquest, you get the choice between Angle Northumbria, the Viking Kingdoms of York and Dublin, Brythons from Strathclyde or the remnants of the pre-Roman kingdom of the Brigantes.

In terms of a choice of two, Lancashire > Greater Manchester hands down. But I do quite like the Vikings, so they'll do for me... :-)
Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 05:48 - Nov 28 with 2891 viewsjoecooke

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 23:31 - Nov 27 by YadHoDale

Pre 1182, Lancashire did not exist. North of the Ribble was in Yorkshire, South ( including Rochdale) was attached to Cheshire.

Then before the Norman conquest, you get the choice between Angle Northumbria, the Viking Kingdoms of York and Dublin, Brythons from Strathclyde or the remnants of the pre-Roman kingdom of the Brigantes.

In terms of a choice of two, Lancashire > Greater Manchester hands down. But I do quite like the Vikings, so they'll do for me... :-)

https://wikishire.co.uk/wiki/Salfordshire

Poll: How much would you care if bury fc went out of existence

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 06:16 - Nov 28 with 2885 viewsnordenblue

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 22:10 - Nov 27 by D_Alien

It's built on a ley line, apparently

But you have to admit, the trees in Hardcastle Crags are very huggable, i quite like ridiculously large proportions of women and i suspect they congregate there for full closure, in the knowledge it's not easy to get in or out

Most of them like coming "out"......very odd place
Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 08:19 - Nov 28 with 2849 viewsScunnydale

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 05:48 - Nov 28 by joecooke

Excellent news! May I cordially welcome all you new Salfordians!
Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 09:30 - Nov 28 with 2817 viewsfirgrovedale51

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 23:31 - Nov 27 by YadHoDale

You are correct before the breakaway by the House of Lancaster it was all Yorkshire but since then the county boundaries have not changed Greater Manchester is only for governmental and administrative purposes and did not replace the old Lancashire county
Login to get fewer ads

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 09:33 - Nov 28 with 2816 viewsfirgrovedale51

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 22:01 - Nov 27 by nordenblue

You would certainly know about tree hugging but don`t you normally wear wellies for your exploits into the country
Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 13:57 - Nov 28 with 2754 viewskiwidale

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 05:48 - Nov 28 by joecooke

I read the link and this caught my eye.

"A twice-yearly meeting of jury-men chose the borough reeve of Salford, along with two constables, a dog-muzzler, ale-taster and inspectors of flesh and fish for the town.

Talk about the dream job ale taster, it really was the good old days for some.

This is not the time for bickering.

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 14:35 - Nov 28 with 2734 viewsnordenblue

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 09:33 - Nov 28 by firgrovedale51

You would certainly know about tree hugging but don`t you normally wear wellies for your exploits into the country

Stop it you'll get me excited again....
Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 18:46 - Nov 28 with 2662 viewsrochdaleriddler

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 06:16 - Nov 28 by nordenblue

Most of them like coming "out"......very odd place

Homophobe

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 18:52 - Nov 28 with 2656 viewsrochdaleriddler

Callans's micropub is brilliant, the brewpub near the station is good, the micropub next to the cinema is fab. The community owned fox and goose is great, chapter 17 and the bottle shop/bar has great beer. It has a cinema, theatre and numerous good eateries. It is a fab place and only 20 mins by train

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 19:08 - Nov 28 with 2643 viewsnordenblue

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 18:46 - Nov 28 by rochdaleriddler

Homophobe

And?
Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 19:45 - Nov 28 with 2619 viewsrochedale

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 20:18 - Nov 27 by R17ALE

Littleborough is Yorkshire.

Rochdale is Lancashire.

New Hey is Milnrow.

Middleton is Manchester.

Heywood is Heywood.

All fall into RMBC though

Littleborough is Lancashire and/or Greater Manchester, not Yorkshire.

‘Littleborough was a hamlet in the manor of Huddersfield’ is an extract from wiki, but there is no other info I have ever seen that indicates Littleborough is in Yorkshire. Prove otherwise or admit you’re on the ‘wind-up’!!

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 20:14 - Nov 28 with 2598 viewsrochdaleriddler

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 19:08 - Nov 28 by nordenblue

And?

It's you that's odd, not hebden bridge folk

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 20:17 - Nov 28 with 2593 viewsnordenblue

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 20:14 - Nov 28 by rochdaleriddler

It's you that's odd, not hebden bridge folk

I take the little digs as a massive compliment,keep them coming it's pretty sweet you're that bothered......

Stick to writing ridiculous comments about football instead you're far better at it
Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 20:39 - Nov 28 with 2578 viewskiwidale

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 19:45 - Nov 28 by rochedale

Littleborough is Lancashire and/or Greater Manchester, not Yorkshire.

‘Littleborough was a hamlet in the manor of Huddersfield’ is an extract from wiki, but there is no other info I have ever seen that indicates Littleborough is in Yorkshire. Prove otherwise or admit you’re on the ‘wind-up’!!

Correction... but an easy mistake to make its Hundersfield not Huddersfield.

from wikipedia
Historically a part of Lancashire, Littleborough and its surroundings have provided evidence of Neolithic, Celtic, Roman and Anglo-Saxon activity in the area.[4] During the Middle Ages, Littleborough was a hamlet in the manor of Hundersfield, parish of Rochdale and hundred of Salford.[

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 20:54 - Nov 28 with 2557 viewsrochedale

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 20:39 - Nov 28 by kiwidale

Correction... but an easy mistake to make its Hundersfield not Huddersfield.

from wikipedia
Historically a part of Lancashire, Littleborough and its surroundings have provided evidence of Neolithic, Celtic, Roman and Anglo-Saxon activity in the area.[4] During the Middle Ages, Littleborough was a hamlet in the manor of Hundersfield, parish of Rochdale and hundred of Salford.[

My mistake!!

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 20:58 - Nov 28 with 2539 viewsrochdaleriddler

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 20:17 - Nov 28 by nordenblue

I take the little digs as a massive compliment,keep them coming it's pretty sweet you're that bothered......

Stick to writing ridiculous comments about football instead you're far better at it

I'll have to wait until Bradford away to comment on actual games, pretty sure you won't be there, part timer

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 21:02 - Nov 28 with 2523 viewskiwidale

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 20:54 - Nov 28 by rochedale

My mistake!!

I made the same mistake on first reading only corrected reading this thread.

More information about Rochdale history

Rochdale was one of the largest parishes in England, administered via four extensive parishes, subsequently called townships. Three of these townships converged on the town centre which became the trading centre for an otherwise rural industrial economy.
To the south lay Castleton Township, the name being a reference to Rochdale’s castle to the south-west of the river crossing. To the north-west lay Spotland Township which ran northwards almost as far as Bacup in the Rossendale Forest. To the north-east lay Hundersfield, the largest township which extended a considerable way beyond Todmorden at its northern end while further east laid Butterworth, a township including modern-day Milnrow

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 21:07 - Nov 28 with 2516 viewsnordenblue

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 20:58 - Nov 28 by rochdaleriddler

I'll have to wait until Bradford away to comment on actual games, pretty sure you won't be there, part timer

Can't wait...... may go we'll see if I can get some free tickets first though 👌
Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 21:20 - Nov 28 with 2495 viewsrochdaleriddler

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 21:07 - Nov 28 by nordenblue

Can't wait...... may go we'll see if I can get some free tickets first though 👌

Freeloader

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 21:22 - Nov 28 with 2490 viewsnordenblue

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 21:20 - Nov 28 by rochdaleriddler

Freeloader

I know it's really shit,I'd much rather pay ideally
Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 17:54 - Nov 30 with 2346 viewsrochdale_ranger

Happy Lancashire Day (n/t) on 21:22 - Nov 28 by nordenblue

I know it's really shit,I'd much rather pay ideally

In my experience the only people who bang on about regional pride and regional borders are insecure Yorkies who deep down know they are from a crap county. I didn't choose to be born in Lancashire (even though I now live in Chesire) it's just one of those things. EDIt. Sorry for tying your quote into my post by mistake.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2017 18:16]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024