Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread 14:35 - Dec 11 with 26917 viewsHullDale

[Post edited 11 Dec 2021 14:35]
Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 23:35 - Dec 11 with 3007 viewsswiggy

He’s had 23 games, yep. Remember not so long ago, for me anyway, Hilly’s first match in charge, no fear football. My memory is not what it was but I think we may have won. Now despite what the fans forum was told we still insist on going forwards for 10 yards and then turning round and passing backwards, still insist on the keeper passing the ball to our centre half in our penalty area, sorry it doesn’t work, just because you can doesn’t mean you have to.
Harker, Smith , Ryder, Leach, Parry, Ashworth, Whitehead, Rudd, Buck, Jenkins, Butler, Still ingrained in my head from 1969, do you think any of the present generation could lace their boots? I don’t think so, having said that many in between have been more than capable, Holty, Ricky, Alan Reeves, Hogan, Our Craig, Gary Jones, etc etc
Pretty fed up with an apparent couldn’t care less attitude.
Enough, sorry 😢
Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 23:37 - Dec 11 with 3004 viewsDalenet

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 20:40 - Dec 11 by RippDale

We need to be patient here and not go down the Oldham route of changing managers every 6 months. We have been severely mis-managed both on and off the pitch for the last 4 years and we now have stability off the pitch, we need to support RS the best we can to get some stability on the pitch.

I feared for us this season and worried we would do a Southend but I think Robbie has done a decent job under the extreme circumstances. There are many mistakes but also some very good glimpses. He has been left with some dross but by the end of the season most of that will be gone and we can judge him on the players he brings in for next season.

We are not a sacking club but modern day football has created this monster and some of our fans embrace that

Nobody had suggested changing manager. Lets not create a story where there isn't one
Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 00:29 - Dec 12 with 2902 viewsswiggy

What we want is to win a football game, not complicated, not a big ask, just score more goals than the opposing team, simples. To do this play the ball in your opponents half, don’t bother messing about with the goalkeeper and centre half’s tippy tappying.
Listened to Tony Cottee today who was told by people, you’re crap, all you do is score goals, why don’t you track back?
All you do is score goals ffs
Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 07:06 - Dec 12 with 2734 viewsD_Alien

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 00:29 - Dec 12 by swiggy

What we want is to win a football game, not complicated, not a big ask, just score more goals than the opposing team, simples. To do this play the ball in your opponents half, don’t bother messing about with the goalkeeper and centre half’s tippy tappying.
Listened to Tony Cottee today who was told by people, you’re crap, all you do is score goals, why don’t you track back?
All you do is score goals ffs

Clearly, he needed a Kevin Sinfield type to advise him

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 08:17 - Dec 12 with 2635 viewskel

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 23:37 - Dec 11 by Dalenet

Nobody had suggested changing manager. Lets not create a story where there isn't one

There’s loads of them doing it on Facebook on Twitter but granted, not on here. Some clown on Facebook has stated we should get Big Sam in ffs. It’s like reading the bury board circa 2015.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2021 8:26]
Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 09:47 - Dec 12 with 2464 viewsAltDaleComms

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 10:04 - Dec 12 with 2416 views1907

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 17:35 - Dec 11 by beat_the_bishop

A the beginning of the season I said to my old man I was looking forward to season where we could just play some football, under very little pressure and enjoy the ride of a mid table season while we stabilise off the field and nurture some of youth on it.

A positive start, some tidy football played and some entertaining games. Some went our way others didn’t. Pretty much as expected and felt like being back in the Rochdale decision after so many years ‘punching above our weight’ was the relief we struggled to accept but probably needed.

Now, ultimately I feel like I did at this stage for the last two seasons under BBM. Constantly frustrated, watching us causes me stress due to the fact that half the things we do in matches really doesn’t seem to make much sense or is completely avoidable and most importantly and the most worrying is I am turning up expecting as much. I don’t embark on watching a game thinking we could win, I am watching through habit and clinging on the fact a clean sheet would be an enjoyable afternoon/evening.

Our fan base is thread bare, and those 500 - 800 that sit on the fence and take our gates from 2,200 to nearer 3,000 I have never quite understood. I thought being a ‘true fan’ was all about giving it your commitment and what will be will be. But after years now of utter crap to put it bluntly, I feel myself sort of understand those ‘fencers’. If you have something more productive to be doing or something clashes with a Dale match and you would typically make an excuse or try and rearrange so you can do both… all of a sudden you put up less fight. Simply because I don’t feel that fight in return on the pitch. I can accept not being good enough or being beaten by a quality team but this league is god awful and so are we. We have no grit or fight. If you can’t match quality you can match work ethic and more often than not work ethic is enough in this league. But we have neither, we have team of wimps with no under belly and I really find that hard to watch.

Stockdales harshest lesson is how he hasn’t prioritised a battling midfielder. It’s a is a catastrophic failure. Liam Kelly for his technical ability will actually struggle in this league, the lower down the ranks he does the less effective he is/will get. I would take an Ethan Hamilton, Cavanagh, S Dawson over him every single day of the week. We have a threadbare squad and we have too many lightweight players who would be squad players anywhere other than Rochdale.

O’Keefe is another example. Gets lots of hype but again for me a Wiseman/Rafferty type player pops him all day long. I want my wing backs to be able to defend as part of the defensive unit as the priority as opposed to clipping his own ankles in the opponents box in the hunt for penalty.

People won’t agree but I’m at a point where I just want to see defenders defend, central midfielders win personal battles, wingers focus on hugging the touch line, being an outlet and swinging a ball in at every chance. And two strikers who can read one and other and be in that box and every single opportunity.

Currently we have defenders who not doing the basics. Wing backs who offer little going forwards and even less defensively, a midfield who all seem to be jockeying for the same ‘I just spray the ball but don’t tackle role’ and strikers who actually rarely strike and come to deep due to lack of service. Regarding the goalkeeping situation, it’s been a problem for years. But at this level, I feel like most of them aren’t very good no matter what team. Sanchez coming for a corner no matter where it was flighted was more important than a goal at times. That was a skill you don’t see very often anymore, hence he’s now number one for Brighton.

I’m not Stockdale out because I know it’s more deep routed than that. But I am worried. I feel like January is still an age away but even when it comes will much change? Have we got any money to makes changes? I still want that mid table finish but on recent showings, I feel very miserable supporting Rochdale. I need more from them, I’m not feeling the love.

That is one of the best posts I’ve ever read on here and perfectly sums up the situation & how I also feel at present.

I know Stockdale has been dealt a difficult hand but the way some of this forum will try to protect him for any sort of criticism is getting beyond a joke.

We are persisting with a formation that doesn’t work. The proof is in the pudding and we’re not getting the results. When was the last time he attempted to do anything different?

He plays it safe far too much for me. Rarely gambles. Never mixes it up. We must be the most predictable team in the league because we’ve not changed the system once in months.

Our midfield is pathetic. When you think of the likes of Jones, Kennedy, Taylor, Lund, Rathbone etc and you look at our centre midfield now it’s laughable. We’re fighting in the trenches against battle hardened warriors with what looks like two 13 year old boys. Why the hell did we not bring in any experience in the summer?

Watching Dale has become so depressive again and I absolute hate it. Hartlepool commentators the other night made a comment “you need to be beating Rochdale at home”. We were in League One beating Wigan 0-5 away 12 months ago and now we’re getting beat week in week out struggling in League Two.

I know that’s not Stockdale’s fault, I know it’s not the boards fault. We worked so hard to become a solid, decent, exciting League One team and now it’s just back to the same.

At 12.01 January 1st I want new players being brought into this club who will do our fans justice and start doing the job they’re paid for to a better standard.
Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 10:07 - Dec 12 with 2409 views1907

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 17:58 - Dec 11 by 442Dale

Most of your points, some valid, revolve around the squad construction of which everyone admits was done in a short period and probably not to the manager’s total satisfaction. It’s hard to say he hasn’t prioritised a battling midfielder, he lost Rathbone and was able to pick up Broadbent on loan who hasn’t worked out and Kelly who was available without a club. A mish-mash of players for sure, but Stockdale will almost certainly share the same frustrations.

I get the impression, especially after the interview on Wednesday, that he wants his teams to be more battle hardened and that’s not happening right now. Let’s see how things are at Easter in terms of how we look in general, league position is almost irrelevant.

“League position is almost irrelevant”

Are you mad? What a load of tosh and twiddle. I’m not Stockdale out by any stretch but some of the pro Stockdale stuff you’re posting is becoming bonkers to the BBM extreme.
Login to get fewer ads

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 10:10 - Dec 12 with 2406 views1907

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 18:22 - Dec 11 by D_Alien

We got that "from this team" when they came from 2-0 down to draw level, and (apparently) should've taken the lead

The hard week we've had eventually took it's toll

Not sure what you want, really, as someone else posted earlier

I don’t get why you’re trying to argue with this guy when every single point is valid and some of the most “real” comments I’ve seen on this forum in some time.
Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 10:13 - Dec 12 with 2405 viewsBillyRudd

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 22:24 - Dec 11 by TVOS1907

Not sure I agree. At no point in the game or afterwards did anyone comment on it until now.

It was perfectly fine and didn't impact the game in any way whatsoever.

Happy to be corrected but I vaguely remember the commentator on I-follow mentioning words to the effect that although the pitch condition looked good, it was in fact bobbly. Not that I think that had any bearing on the eventual result.
Regarding RS, his frustration is palpable. He is ambitious and I think capable of being ruthless in that pursuit . I would be surprised if, within the constraints of budget, we do not see that manifested in January. Up the Dale
Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 10:18 - Dec 12 with 2387 views442Dale

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 10:04 - Dec 12 by 1907

That is one of the best posts I’ve ever read on here and perfectly sums up the situation & how I also feel at present.

I know Stockdale has been dealt a difficult hand but the way some of this forum will try to protect him for any sort of criticism is getting beyond a joke.

We are persisting with a formation that doesn’t work. The proof is in the pudding and we’re not getting the results. When was the last time he attempted to do anything different?

He plays it safe far too much for me. Rarely gambles. Never mixes it up. We must be the most predictable team in the league because we’ve not changed the system once in months.

Our midfield is pathetic. When you think of the likes of Jones, Kennedy, Taylor, Lund, Rathbone etc and you look at our centre midfield now it’s laughable. We’re fighting in the trenches against battle hardened warriors with what looks like two 13 year old boys. Why the hell did we not bring in any experience in the summer?

Watching Dale has become so depressive again and I absolute hate it. Hartlepool commentators the other night made a comment “you need to be beating Rochdale at home”. We were in League One beating Wigan 0-5 away 12 months ago and now we’re getting beat week in week out struggling in League Two.

I know that’s not Stockdale’s fault, I know it’s not the boards fault. We worked so hard to become a solid, decent, exciting League One team and now it’s just back to the same.

At 12.01 January 1st I want new players being brought into this club who will do our fans justice and start doing the job they’re paid for to a better standard.

I think this forum has been very fair in the main and cannot be said to be protecting him from “any sort of criticism” because there’s been plenty.

There has been much discussion around the formation and people would like him to try something different, although we can see why he might not want to try a back four with so many CH looking unsteady. Midfield as well - we all can see what we need but we can’t change the personnel yet. What we can do is increase bodies in there, that is on the manager and he knows that his decision making will rightly be analysed and criticised where necessary.

Is our current form now disappointing again? Very. And I’m sure some fans are affected more than others, but we aren’t a million miles away from these games and results going in our favour and you can see that is what is frustrating Stockdale the most

Watching a lower league football team who gets inconsistent results is part of football in this country. For now we are part of that group. The games aren’t awful, we aren’t getting battered every week looking completely clueless, so for now maybe we have to accept that whilst rightly having a moan and saying where it could be better. It might be like it next season too, is that so bad?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 10:21 - Dec 12 with 2379 viewsTVOS1907

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 10:13 - Dec 12 by BillyRudd

Happy to be corrected but I vaguely remember the commentator on I-follow mentioning words to the effect that although the pitch condition looked good, it was in fact bobbly. Not that I think that had any bearing on the eventual result.
Regarding RS, his frustration is palpable. He is ambitious and I think capable of being ruthless in that pursuit . I would be surprised if, within the constraints of budget, we do not see that manifested in January. Up the Dale

Can't comment on what was said on ifollow as I was at the game.

The pitch was absolutely fine and has only been mentioned by one person three days after the game.

It had no bearing on either teams' performances or the result.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 10:26 - Dec 12 with 2351 viewsjonahwhereru

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 10:04 - Dec 12 by 1907

You have many plenty of reasoned contributions on this site, and I understand the frustration, but this is harsh.
Don’t look back because it will be painful. Lund and Rathbone both went for more money
I fully believe that we will soon have players here who are capable of playing at a higher level. Kelly already is. But I urge you to hold your nerve. This is Dale, it will never be an easy ride, but the we all understand their will be moments that make the difficult days more tolerable.
UTDNFS
Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 10:35 - Dec 12 with 2323 viewsBillyRudd

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 10:21 - Dec 12 by TVOS1907

Can't comment on what was said on ifollow as I was at the game.

The pitch was absolutely fine and has only been mentioned by one person three days after the game.

It had no bearing on either teams' performances or the result.

Think you miss my point. Whether the pitch in your view was fine or not which is totally subjective, is immaterial to my point. Your continuing assertion that "mentioned by one person three days after the game", unless I have dreamt it , is factually incorrect. Unless of course you only refer to being mentioned on this forum. Up the Dale
Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 10:54 - Dec 12 with 2270 viewsTVOS1907

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 10:35 - Dec 12 by BillyRudd

Think you miss my point. Whether the pitch in your view was fine or not which is totally subjective, is immaterial to my point. Your continuing assertion that "mentioned by one person three days after the game", unless I have dreamt it , is factually incorrect. Unless of course you only refer to being mentioned on this forum. Up the Dale

Yes, obviously that's what I mean, as that's what started this in the first place!

If the pitch was an issue and it had appeared as such during the game on Wednesday, surely someone else would have mentioned it somewhere other than on iFollow or on here on Saturday night, as usually happens with most other in-game issues.

Even NigeriaMark never referred to it in his running commentary, as far as I can see.

And as I said, regardless of a subjective view about the pitch, it had zero influence on Wednesday's result, the way Dale and Hartlepool played or the goals we conceded!
[Post edited 12 Dec 2021 10:59]

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 11:34 - Dec 12 with 2189 viewsbeat_the_bishop

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 10:54 - Dec 12 by TVOS1907

Yes, obviously that's what I mean, as that's what started this in the first place!

If the pitch was an issue and it had appeared as such during the game on Wednesday, surely someone else would have mentioned it somewhere other than on iFollow or on here on Saturday night, as usually happens with most other in-game issues.

Even NigeriaMark never referred to it in his running commentary, as far as I can see.

And as I said, regardless of a subjective view about the pitch, it had zero influence on Wednesday's result, the way Dale and Hartlepool played or the goals we conceded!
[Post edited 12 Dec 2021 10:59]

The point was… pitches are deteriorating. Whether you think Hartlepools was fine or not I don’t really care it’s been and gone. Apologies for not raising it on the night. I tend to only comment when I have residual time.

Why I mentioned it was focused on one thing. We have Dooley, Newby, Morley, Kelly, Odoh etc who’s game is all very similar. Neat on the ball and play a pass and the odd little twist and turn. As we approach the winter that will be even less effective than it’s already been on perfect summer surfaces. We can’t win midfield battles in the summer and autumn months so I am worried about winter when sometimes the tippy tappy isn’t an option.

As mentioned. Our midfield are like teenage boys. If you are a box to box experienced central midfielder you are licking your lips playing against Morley and Kelly.

My point throughout was I don’t see any grit and fight in the team. Everyone can run around looking busy and therefore you can’t question their effort. Joe Thompson was the best example of that. But what they contribute with is what’s important. And right now we need to get a better grip of games and do the ugly side better. We are too easy to beat.

Changing the system could be a temporary stop gap that could steady the ship to buy time to recruit. The problem is Stockdale won’t do that and we are shipping points without trying alternatives. What do we have to lose when it’s we are getting beat regularly and the fans are bored of the same pattern?
Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 12:06 - Dec 12 with 2090 viewskel

I wouldn’t say 2 league losses in a week after a long unbeaten run was being beat regularly but each to their own.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2021 12:06]
Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 12:44 - Dec 12 with 1997 viewsbeat_the_bishop

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 12:06 - Dec 12 by kel

I wouldn’t say 2 league losses in a week after a long unbeaten run was being beat regularly but each to their own.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2021 12:06]

If you are happy with 5 wins in 21 then each to their own. I don’t recall draw specialists making much ground in football either.
Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 12:46 - Dec 12 with 1985 viewsD_Alien

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 10:10 - Dec 12 by 1907

I don’t get why you’re trying to argue with this guy when every single point is valid and some of the most “real” comments I’ve seen on this forum in some time.

I'm not "trying to argue", i'm rebuking him for his short-sightedness and i'll rebuke you too

You posted earlier "this is one of the best posts i've ever read on here"

That's such a shite cliche; the post isn't even in the best 10,000, and that's even if you agree with it

[Post edited 12 Dec 2021 13:52]

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 12:53 - Dec 12 with 1948 viewskel

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 12:44 - Dec 12 by beat_the_bishop

If you are happy with 5 wins in 21 then each to their own. I don’t recall draw specialists making much ground in football either.

Sorry, you’ll have to remind me where I said I was happy.

Just a simple quote from one of my posts will do.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2021 12:54]
Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 13:18 - Dec 12 with 1904 views442Dale

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 12:46 - Dec 12 by D_Alien

I'm not "trying to argue", i'm rebuking him for his short-sightedness and i'll rebuke you too

You posted earlier "this is one of the best posts i've ever read on here"

That's such a shite cliche; the post isn't even in the best 10,000, and that's even if you agree with it

[Post edited 12 Dec 2021 13:52]

I’ve done at least twelve about sock clashes that were better.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 13:20 - Dec 12 with 1901 viewsBarrowdale

Having finally decided to pluck up interest to watch the highlights there is no getting away from the fact that their second goal comes from our obsession to keep trying to he Man City and play out from the back. I know you could argue that our pen comes from similar but until we desist from this ludicrous system, we will continue to give hoals away for fun. Simple
Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 13:56 - Dec 12 with 1793 viewsEllDale

We all know that the squad needs freshening up.
Some of these players aren’t just knackered physically but mentally.
When you’re tired you make mistakes simple as.
A fair few of them haven’t had to plays men’s football week in week out before either.
And they were all psyched up mentally for the cup tie versus Plymouth so that another two away games in six days afterwards has deflated them.
If they were tougher mentally they’d be playing at a higher level.
I’m not calling for the manager’s head but what worries me is that out of the cluster of teams below Dale in the table only a couple have still to come to Spotland.
We have to go to the likes of Oldham, Scunthorpe, Carlisle, Stevenage and Colchester where they will all be scrapping tooth and nail for the points.
Loose a couple of those and we could well and truly be in a relegation dogfight.
Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 14:05 - Dec 12 with 1760 viewsTVOS1907

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 13:56 - Dec 12 by EllDale

We all know that the squad needs freshening up.
Some of these players aren’t just knackered physically but mentally.
When you’re tired you make mistakes simple as.
A fair few of them haven’t had to plays men’s football week in week out before either.
And they were all psyched up mentally for the cup tie versus Plymouth so that another two away games in six days afterwards has deflated them.
If they were tougher mentally they’d be playing at a higher level.
I’m not calling for the manager’s head but what worries me is that out of the cluster of teams below Dale in the table only a couple have still to come to Spotland.
We have to go to the likes of Oldham, Scunthorpe, Carlisle, Stevenage and Colchester where they will all be scrapping tooth and nail for the points.
Loose a couple of those and we could well and truly be in a relegation dogfight.

Carlisle excepted, there's an awful lot of football to be played between now and most of those games.

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 14:09 - Dec 12 with 1750 viewsD_Alien

Bristol Rovers (a) Match Thread on 14:05 - Dec 12 by TVOS1907

Carlisle excepted, there's an awful lot of football to be played between now and most of those games.

I hope so, rather than a lot of awful football!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024