Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
laser eye surgery 14:53 - Jun 11 with 2390 viewssevenhoop

hi chaps

I'm a 61 year old with a job sat at my desk in front of a computer all day. somewhat miraculously, i didn't wear glasses until a couple of years ago but then had them fitted for short sightedness, Since then my eyes have got markedly worse , leading (i think ) to constant headaches cos the prescription is now wrong. So was going to go back and have a new prescription and someone recommended laser eye surgery.

Anyone had it/recommend/not recommend it? if so, any places close to the Staines area? (not sure if recommendatons are allowed?!)
laser eye surgery on 15:20 - Jun 11 with 2329 viewsJuzzie

Similar situation though some 10 years younger.

Best thing I can say is speak to your optician/optometrist etc. I spoke to mine and he said my eyes don't need laser surgery, they won't benefit.

I can't remember the reasons why but it was explained and made sense. So, for now, I'll stick with glasses until such time comes that laser surgery is appropriate.
laser eye surgery on 15:28 - Jun 11 with 2306 viewsToast_R

My wife had it done about 10 years ago (she was early 20's at the time). and always a contact lens wearer before. Says it was the best investment she ever made.
laser eye surgery on 15:35 - Jun 11 with 2284 viewsheadhoops

I had mine done approx 20 years ago after a proper consultation with the optician/ optometrist and only recently have needed glasses for driving. Been well worth it. Not least for when the kids were young and I grabbed the right kid in the swimming baths. Awkward otherwise. I had it done in Guildford, I would think there is more choice now available.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

laser eye surgery on 15:58 - Jun 11 with 2247 viewsMoonshineSteve

Yes, do some research. My uncle. my mother and a close mate have all had it done and were really pleased. But it depends what you're having corrected; for example if it's long-sightedness (I know you said you're short-sighted) you might still need reading glasses so it's worth asking what you will and won't need.

Really wanted it done myself but am not suitable.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

laser eye surgery on 16:05 - Jun 11 with 2226 viewsenfieldargh

2 of my children had it done in their early 20's and they are extremely satisfied. Philip Schofield was in the waiting room when my son had it done.

Not cheap but it should make watching Charlie Austin banging them in that much sweeter.

They will tell you if you should/shouldn't have it done.

Went to London Vision Clinic in Harley Street W1

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

laser eye surgery on 16:05 - Jun 11 with 2225 viewstoboboly

Bought a pair of these just after lockdown as I was getting bad headaches, haven't had one since;

https://foxman-frames.com/

Can't help on laser surgery.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

laser eye surgery on 18:33 - Jun 11 with 2074 viewsBoston

Twenty plus years ago. Excellent results. Great to throw away the contacts.

I did lash out a bit more than I could have done. Had the procedure performed at a clinic where celebs / sports types go, figured I would probably get the best in the business.

What makes someone unsuitable?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

laser eye surgery on 20:11 - Jun 11 with 1953 viewsMoonshineSteve

Only having one properly functioning eye. That is the one I wanted fixed. The surgeon said it was in the perfect range for the procedure but he wouldn't do it because there is always a small risk with surgery, and any problems would leave me in trouble.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Login to get fewer ads

laser eye surgery on 21:46 - Jun 11 with 1874 viewsRochfordRanger

I had it done over 20 years ago as I was having trouble seeing the ball when playing football. But I wouldn’t recommend it in your case if your prescription hasn’t been stable for a number of years.
laser eye surgery on 22:27 - Jun 11 with 1837 viewsdanehoop

Had mine done 12 years ago along with my wife, been great.

My advice though is go to Moorfields to get it done. Moorfields is a world leading eye hospital and basically was the original place where laser surgery was pioneered in the UK. It is the best training hospital in the UK for eye surgeons (you'll notice how many eye surgeons carrying out this type of surgery look to identify their training/qualifications from Moorfields. They also probably have the best facilities as well.

In terms of what happens, usually you have a pre appointment where your eyes are tested to ensure that you are suitable for the procedure, that starts off like a normal eye test/annual contact lens check, but goes on a little longer with lots of eye drops. Then the surgeon will have a chat with you to discuss what your expectations are and what is and importantly might not be possible. It isnt a sales pitch, but genuine assessment so you can be sure you know what is possible and understand the potential risks.

If you are happy and the surgeon is happy, then you book the appointment. On the day you'll be told to bring someone with you to help you get home. You will need sun glasses and wont be able to use the tube when you leave.

The surgery itself is actually very quick. Before it starts you will get lots on anesthetic drops in your eyes to numb things up and keep things moist. You'll then be placed in a chair a bit like a dentist in some respects, and you be made immobile from the neck up. After that they will tape up your eye lids to keep them open - this doesnt hurt at all as your eyes are totally numb.
The surgeon then lifts a small flap of skin from your eye - again this doesnt hurt, you feel some pressure on your eye as its done, then you lose focus as everything goes blurry. The surgeon then asks you to look at the red light and you hear a clicking sound. After 10-20 seconds that stops and the surgeon flips back the skin and everything is blurry - but you can see, but everything is a bit teary. Its not at all painful (keep underlining this point) because of the anesthetic. Then the other eye is done and same process followed.

With an experienced surgeon that whole process for both eyes tends to take 5-10 minutes. After that the surgeon will do quick assessment and release you. Your vision will slowly start to improve as the eye settles down that day. You will be given a weeks supply of eye drops to use and will be given protective eye covers to wear at night for first 3-4 days. After first 48 hours the numbers of eyes drops and frequency starts to reduce, but you must complete the full weeks course. I found my vision was really improving after around 4 hours and by next day was absolutely spot on. You dont get to wash your face and must avoid getting water in your eyes for first 72 hours and basically avoid contact sports, swimming etc for first few months.

You will then have a follow up with the surgeon usually 3-7 days later to ensure everything is settling down.

It really is straight forward and personally I would recommend it. Its isnt without risks and it may not give you perfect vision. It can also accelerate the need to wear reading glasses in some people (ironically) as in improving short sightedness and overtime give a stronger inclination to long sightedness. I found for a while I had some issues supermarket lighting where it reduced the contrast a little between light and dark so was a bit tricky to read prices (weird I know) and initially I was less comfortable driving at night for the same reason, but things seemed to settle down relatively quickly after a few months.

Never knowingly understood

laser eye surgery on 22:34 - Jun 11 with 1825 viewsstowmarketrange

laser eye surgery on 15:58 - Jun 11 by MoonshineSteve

Yes, do some research. My uncle. my mother and a close mate have all had it done and were really pleased. But it depends what you're having corrected; for example if it's long-sightedness (I know you said you're short-sighted) you might still need reading glasses so it's worth asking what you will and won't need.

Really wanted it done myself but am not suitable.

I’ve been wearing glasses for distance for about 30 years,and I was going to have laser surgery about 5 years ago,but they told me that I’d had to wear glasses for reading,so I decided against it.What is the point of paying lots of money just to swap glasses over?
I think if you’re still young,then have the surgery done,but I was 55 and I decided it wasn’t worth the cost.
laser eye surgery on 22:40 - Jun 11 with 1819 viewsBoston

I’m sitting in Mass Eye & Ear right now as it happens, effing vinyl / PVC, sprayed me in the face when using a table saw. Tipped up the sunglasses for a second...boom!.

I hope the Moorfields facility has improved, god it was antiquated when I was a kid.

laser eye surgery on 22:40 - Jun 11 with 1817 viewsBoston

laser eye surgery on 22:34 - Jun 11 by stowmarketrange

I’ve been wearing glasses for distance for about 30 years,and I was going to have laser surgery about 5 years ago,but they told me that I’d had to wear glasses for reading,so I decided against it.What is the point of paying lots of money just to swap glasses over?
I think if you’re still young,then have the surgery done,but I was 55 and I decided it wasn’t worth the cost.

Give up reading FFS!

laser eye surgery on 23:31 - Jun 11 with 1772 viewsdanehoop

laser eye surgery on 22:40 - Jun 11 by Boston

I’m sitting in Mass Eye & Ear right now as it happens, effing vinyl / PVC, sprayed me in the face when using a table saw. Tipped up the sunglasses for a second...boom!.

I hope the Moorfields facility has improved, god it was antiquated when I was a kid.

Not sure, but I can guess that there is quite a difference between the private and NHS sections of Moorfields and all the areas I saw were fine.

Never knowingly understood

laser eye surgery on 00:49 - Jun 12 with 1732 viewsDavieQPR

Almost everyone in favour quotes it was done in their 20's not in their 60's. See a proper Opticians.
laser eye surgery on 06:05 - Jun 12 with 1663 viewssevenhoop

Wow, thanks everyone for your considered advice. Loads to take on board and will go for a consultation (probably Moorfields) and see where it takes
Me!
laser eye surgery on 06:51 - Jun 12 with 1647 viewsWokingR

As others have said above, I don’t think they’ll do it until your prescription has been static for 2 years and you’d be wasting your money otherwise. After all, what would be the point of spending several grand, walking our with perfect vision, which then changed again within 6 months.
laser eye surgery on 10:51 - Jun 12 with 1562 viewsGloryHunter

What you might wish to consider is that laser surgery is basically destructive. What the laser beam does is to burn tissue. The resulting scar tissue can be used to patch holes in the retina, or "stitch" things together (like a spot weld), or to distort the shape of your eyeball or cornea to change your eye's focal length. This burning cannot be undone.

I had laser treatment as well as physical stitching to repair my detached retina. At Moorfields. Fantastic hospital. They saved my sight. It's fantastic technology, and for anyone with serious eye problems it can be a god-send. But to use it for vanity purposes, because people don't want to wear glasses - I suggest it might be over-used and the risks might be under-estimated.

[Edit: to correct my biological ignorance about the parts of the eye]
[Post edited 12 Jun 2021 11:18]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024