Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Flat roofed pubs.. 13:43 - Apr 29 with 123971 viewsPommyhoop

As mentioned by Konk in the Morhinio thread. Flat roofed pubs are normally shiteholes which are suited to and are normally frequented by a good few Scum supporters. Here's my offering as one of the roughest ,worst boozers I've ever been in .
The Beaver in Beaver's Estate Hounslow .Now that was a REAL shithole!!
Looks like its closed down.Thank F@ck...

Add your own wonderful flat roofed watering holes...

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Flat roofed pubs.. on 08:21 - May 1 with 10737 viewsgordanoR

I had to live in Coventry for a year when I was 16 as part of my apprenticeship, the technical college was the only place in the country that did my particular course. Within the first week a body was pulled out of the stream behind our digs in the, rather appropriately named, area called The Butts.

Flat roofed pubs.. on 08:58 - May 1 with 10697 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ya, you nailed it with the changing of the gaurd, Pom.

My parents were in the pub business for years, and that was always a busy month if your new pub was previously rough. Old grivances, old barring orders, old bar bills...the filthy laundry was all taken out once more. If you kept your wits for the first month, the pub was yours. If you didn't, you were as well to hand the keys to the punters.

They took over the notorious Blad Faced Stag in Burnt Oak during the first Iraq Invasion. There was a Union Flag by the pool table with a sign under it that read something like 'This flag will stay here until all Blacks, Pakis, Irish etcetc are out of England...".

My Dad, who's no joke, naturally took it down. No-one was telling him how to run his pub. He had it half way down when he got hit in the back with a pool ball. None of the lads playing pool would fess up so he hammered them all.

That started it. Something was going to. Every lowlife who'd been barred by the ex-guvnors was back in and all looking for us, mostly my Dad or, failing that, me and the brother, who were now bouncers. They were taking their pub back. We had friends, but it got really serious when they tried to follow my Mother home. That's when we called in favours.

A tough few weeks. It was like siomething out of "Snatch".

The Stag didn't have a flat roof. But in its heart it did.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Flat roofed pubs.. on 09:09 - May 1 with 10679 viewsClive_Anderson

Wow. That's got to be the winner, an absolute beauty.

It's like it has been designed with CGI to be the archetypal flat-roof pub. It's hard to believe it is actually real. And in Stockport as well.

Flat roofed pubs.. on 09:16 - May 1 with 10660 viewsDiscodroid

thats a brilliant post bri..and so true.

" I guess in four or five years, the new generation's music will be .. electronics, tapes. I can kind of envision .. maybe one person .. with a lot of machines, tapes, and electronics setups, singin or speaking .. and using machines " James Douglas Morrison | 1969

Flat roofed pubs.. on 10:10 - May 1 with 10631 viewsPommyhoop

Great post Brian.Glad you and your folks came through that ok. Fair play to your old man.
You had to be a strong and take no sh1t to make a go of these pubs of character whether they had flat roofs or not.
I remember one fella who took over from a great Guvnor.This new Guvnor didnt quite cut it and made the mistake of trying to be 'one of the lads'. You could see the predators eyes following him round the bar that first couple of weeks.
He lasted more than a month but as you say he might as well have handed the keys over.
He ended up being tied up and robbed by one of the regulars . He knew who it was even tho he was masked ,we all did. This was The Rising Sun (sometimes Ginellis) Cranford .
Like your pub it had a pitched roof but in its heart it was flat..
Mind you looking at this pic it was nearly flat..

Flat roofed pubs.. on 10:17 - May 1 with 10619 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Sound Disco and Pom.

Sorry, I just realise I didn't point out who 'won'. If you met my parents, you'd know why. They're quiet people, but they were never going to lose.

Flat roofed pubs.. on 20:40 - Sep 5 with 10337 viewsDWQPR

A new entry for the flat roofed pubs requested from the dotorg on the 'Is DaveB still breathing thread........

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/surrey/wallington_merrygoround.html

Looks like it has had a double extension added to the front that looks suspiciously like a bus! Evidently a frequented pub by the Chavs.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Flat roofed pubs.. on 21:15 - Sep 5 with 10297 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I don't think it's quite flat roof status, but any truth in the rumour the tiny grey haired lady who runs the Conningham Arms used to be big in the IRA?

Flat roofed pubs.. on 21:45 - Sep 5 with 10243 viewscollegeranger

I think you may be referring to The Shears in Sunbury. I was born and raised and schooled in the art of drinking in Sunbury and I believe of the 80's era The Shears was the only pub I never went into. Lights on full and never any more than 3 people in it. Never new anyone who ever went in let alone be a regular other than a couple of alkys that frequented most pubs in Sunbury until they wet themselves on a bar stool and got barred.

However for my contribution I give you The Paddock in Molesey. As with The Shears now condemmend to history (hurrah). I went in The Paddock once. My mother was a pub land lady in the late 80's and 90's in High Wycombe and wanted to potentially move back to West London/Surrey areas and I was sent to recce a few boozers that were available as tenanted pubs in the area. One early evening after work I drove over to The Paddock walked in the door where 3 old men were at separate tables and that was it - I walked no more than 3 paces in and the guy behind the bar bellows at me "F@ck off out of my pub" - I asked why and he shouted he said didn't want to buy anything - I was in a suit and took that as a sign that a suit in pub like this usually meant bailiff. I took this a reasonable request and walked straight out as I had seen enough to report back that this was not a pub she would want to invest in.

Flat roofed pubs.. on 22:01 - Sep 5 with 10222 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I remember that pub well. Roundshaw was a bit dodgy although they have rebuilt most of it and it is better now. Even has one of those gold post boxed courtesy of David Weir who lives there.

Flat roofed pubs.. on 00:29 - Sep 6 with 10123 viewsPommyhoop

Clive Seeing as we are only one awayday into the season.Can we have an awayday Flat Rooved Pub feature? Our away support can snap offending pubs on their mobiles and offer them up for our inspection. Points awarded for offensive barstaff,vile grub ,scary locals and of course decor and flatness of the roof..
Starting with Mancland next week.

Flat roofed pubs.. on 01:27 - Sep 6 with 10095 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Pom, we'd be like the hapless folk on the wagon trails in the bad wild west movies. Every away day would see another couple of defenceless stragglers picked off by ruthless outlaws (the mother always got killed, and the cook). By the last day of the season all that would be left would be our equivalents of John Wayne and the pony-tailed girl.

Flat roofed pubs.. on 18:00 - Jun 30 with 9514 viewsNorthernr

BTTT, because it's summer and I like this thread and we've all just been in stitches here about The Globe where there's a drug deal going on outside as the Google car goes past.

Flat roofed pubs.. on 18:48 - Jun 30 with 9426 viewsMancR

Omg this place doesn't count as Stockport. It's Lancashire Hill and the pub (not sure it actually sold beer) was situated in the shadow of those cream and free tower blocks you can see from the motorway. The stench of urine from the broken lift shafts can be tasted for miles!

Flat roofed pubs.. on 18:52 - Jun 30 with 9412 viewsMancR

Flat roofed pubs.. on 19:46 - Jun 30 with 9361 viewsloftboy

Building my own one next summer

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Flat roofed pubs.. on 20:32 - Jun 30 with 9295 viewsCamberleyR

Happened to be in Exeter a couple of times in recent months and saw this, just outside the main shopping area in the city. It looks worse in the flesh believe me.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Flat roofed pubs.. on 20:40 - Jun 30 with 9282 viewshopphoops

The top half is a tank of blue WKD.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Flat roofed pubs.. on 20:43 - Jun 30 with 9271 viewseastside_r

This thread is like welcoming back an old friend.

Flat roofed pubs.. on 20:53 - Jun 30 with 9261 viewslondonscottish

That avatar! Wondered when I'd see it again

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Flat roofed pubs.. on 21:01 - Jun 30 with 9117 viewsPunteR

Bracknells finest...

A flat,hipped ,gable end roof combo.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Flat roofed pubs.. on 21:07 - Jun 30 with 9104 viewshopphoops

next i'll be inventing a hoop which goes all the way round. give me a couple of years...
[Post edited 30 Jun 2015 21:07]

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Flat roofed pubs.. on 21:32 - Jun 30 with 9066 views1MoreBrightonR

If the pig and whistle has gone upmarket, they are doing a good job hiding it! Think it just does pizza now in a poor attempt to attract normal people. Still has 'discos' most weekends. The other two by Latimer road...the racecoarse (closed now) and the Kenilworth castle always looked pretty sketchy.

Kensington park hotel doesn't count...not got a flat roof.

Flat roofed pubs.. on 23:32 - Jun 30 with 8967 viewsDWQPR

The KPH doesn't have one but if there ever was a pub that deserved this status it is the KPH. Maybe a future developer could provide it with one, preferably on the ground floor.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Flat roofed pubs.. on 23:52 - Jun 30 with 8955 viewsNortholt_Rs

Priceless and funny because it is so true. Simply wonderful.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024