Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
O/T Your morning after election thoughts 10:48 - May 8 with 2463 viewsbig_bloomers

Glad we have a majority government - prepared to see what the Tories can do. Politics won't miss drippy Milliband, Balls and Clegg and delighted Farage can't stick his snout in the trough!!

Poll: Protesting or Not Protesting - Official Poll

O/T Your morning after election thoughts on 10:58 - May 8 with 2455 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

1. I'm absolutely delighted with the result, though I can't say I saw it coming. I feel our basic economic future is now as secure as it can be for the next five years.

2. I think the demise of the two purportedly progressive left of centre parties is not good for democracy, especially if the vacuum they leave is filled by the tax and spend fanatics we have running the show North of the border.

3. I feel sorry for Clegg, much less so for Miliband and not at all for Farage. He's a cancer and a general blight on our political life and we are well off without him. I hope his party of bigots and crackpots goes the same way.

4. Seeing Balls go was a very sweet moment. Revenge for Portillo, eaten cold.

5. I also think that the late surge in performance of the Tories can be put at the door of Nicola Sturgeon as much as anyone, particularly when she started talking about forming alliances to lock the Tories out of Downing Street. That "locking out" is the prerogative of the electorate Nicola, not you.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

O/T Your morning after election thoughts on 11:30 - May 8 with 2446 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

1. Gutted and tired.

2. Glad to see the back of Ed Balls (and i support Labour) and Esther McVey.

3.Small majority, the whole question of Europe on the table, reminds me of the last 12 months of Major's goverment.

4.Scotland, not sure how that problem gets solved.

5. UKIP, that's a lot of votes for 1 seat in anyones book, so if Farage does quit, be intresting to see if they really are a just a one man band.

6.Labour, they need to come up with a plan to fight back in Scotland, while still trying to win votes in England. Don't think that's possible Tories haven't been able to do it.

7.Lib Dems, Need to go back to fighting local issues, trying to build up council seats, and totally forget about national issues for now.

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

O/T Your morning after election thoughts on 12:38 - May 8 with 2432 viewsBFC_Tim

It was always going to be the lesser of two average contenders and that's why Cameron has won. It'd be like putting Lee Clark up against a waxwork dummy as manager - the dummy (the waxwork one) would always win!

Poll: Who reckons we'll beat Watford?

O/T Your morning after election thoughts on 13:39 - May 8 with 2415 viewsHarryHorse

Very very concerned for the future of the NHS & like BBTRR Europe will presumably now become an issue (I want us to stay in)

Agree with BRRB on his point 5

Strange how two posters have such similar initials !
[Post edited 8 May 2015 14:49]

O/T Your morning after election thoughts on 14:08 - May 8 with 2405 viewsAVFTTConvert

Labour got what they deserved - they have put their faith in a dead duck leader who it was clear from Day One the public didn't like and so it was proven!

Poll: Worst 'Regular' First Teamer at the moment?

O/T Your morning after election thoughts on 15:31 - May 8 with 2383 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

All results in now, Tories have a majority of 12 which is really 16 when you take account of Sinn Fein.

Not a big majority, but people have worked with less. It will be interesting to see who Cameron appoints to the Cabinet now, and to see how these national results are reflected in the local election results which we'll start getting later today I suppose.

O/T Your morning after election thoughts on 17:00 - May 8 with 2366 viewsgiro

Robbie,

As David Coleman used to say, "quite remarkable".

Having said that, the tories did have trump card called....... Ed Milliband!

My major concern with Cameron, et al, is the future of the NHS.

A good friend of mine (yes I do have some) who is a very big cheese in the NHS (Director level) says the restructuring started by Andrew Lansley is an unmitigated disaster, costing hundreds of millions and actually making things a whole lot worse.

I confess, I'm no great fan of Cameron and his smug Bullingdon club mates. But I'm not surprised they got in, given the inept performance by the opposition.

As far as the SNP is concerned, it seems to have gone unnoticed that Sturgeon didn't even stand. Talk about having you cake and eating it!

The Labour party need to think long and hard before appointing Millibands successor.
The only credible candidate on the current bunch , in my opinion, is Andy Burnham.

The only solice, for the non blue voter, was the removal of Esther McVey. She has taken "objectionable" to another level!

Still reckon the advice my Dad gave me is well worth remembering. He said, "politicians are like humbugs, their stripes might be slightly different, but they all taste the bloody same"
[Post edited 8 May 2015 21:46]

O/T Your morning after election thoughts on 17:13 - May 8 with 2357 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

For me the single most jaw-dropping moment of the night (and there were a few) was the interview with Neil Kinnock. He more or less said that the leader was fine, the policies were fine, it was just the electorate who didn't get it. How you can get to his age and learn so little is beyond me.

Brilliant performance by the Tories in some ways, I think they've won 40% or so of votes n England and part from the North East and London are pretty dominant in this country. They even won three seats in Wales. If they get a Boundaries Review through Parliament in this term they could be very, very hard to unseat in England next time.

It's been entertaining this afternoon watching Labour politicians start yet another post-mortem. I could watch it all day.

O/T Your morning after election thoughts on 17:51 - May 8 with 2334 viewsCurryman

I feel the Scots have fallen for a smoke and mirrors party. They claimed all along that they wanted more representation in parliament than they have had in the past.

When I think of the number of Scottish MP's who have previously served in the Cabinet, indeed as Chancellor and Prime Minister and how many they will have now!

I feel the SNP is a backward step for the Scottish Nation, not a step towards more representation, unless you include complete devolution in that statement.

Finally only the Labour Party could choose such a bunch of 'not fit for purpose' leaders as they have. Kinnock, Foot and Milliband to name but three. Who next Miss Whingy, Yvette Cooper with Balls on a zero hours contract.

Love Blackpool, not the O's
Poll: Whi is responsiblke for our current mess?
Blog: Trust

O/T Your morning after election thoughts on 19:40 - May 8 with 2304 viewsscratchingshed

Gutted the Tories are going to reap havoc on the NHS, do nothing about immigration and still do what we're told by Brussels, you have been warned all those that voted them in.

O/T Your morning after election thoughts on 19:43 - May 8 with 2301 viewsterminallytangerine

1. Distraught. Blackpool supporter/Labour supporter/ mass murderer in a previous life (most probably.)

2. Surprised that people find a right wing anti-state agenda attractive and the Eton elite are seen as worthy mouthpieces for democracy and the best that this country has to offer.

3. Sorry for Milliband - a decent bloke who had the chance to restore the respect of the people for a PM; not so much for Ed Balls; gutted for Douglas Alexander who has always impressed when I've heard him.

4. Fearful for workers in general but particularly for public sector workers who have had to bear the brunt of the Tories ideological scapegoating (Michael Gove, especially); fearful for the weak and vulnerable in our society who will be the victims of unprecedented welfare cuts.

5. Disappointed that an opportunity to heal the wounds in a divided society and divided country has been rejected by the majority.

6. Annoyed that Bonnie Prince Charlie decided to return to Scotland after getting as far as Derby and with London in a panic. I've a long memory! SNP could then be the party of national unity rather the UK disunity.

7. Convinced that Labour is an idea whose time has not yet come and that future generations will look back with disbelief at the numbers who did not vote and the numbers of people who voted against progressive policies.

8. Apart from that deliriously happy.

O/T Your morning after election thoughts on 08:18 - May 9 with 2263 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

BRR

Nor too sure there will be a Boundaries Review after they look at the way the votes were cast in this election.

For the first time since 1992 the tories have needed less votes to win a seat than labour (34,000 to 40,000). Doing the next bit from memory, but the boundary review from the last parliament was to reduce MPs from 650 to 600, and it was thought that would leave the Tories about +20 seats.

Scottish seats were to go down from 59 to about 48, costing Labour 8-9 seats, and some of the tories gains were expected down south at the expense of Lib Dems, (It was probably the reason they voted against it, and not about Lords reform as they claimed), however both those things have already happened with interest.

Also i doubt they would want to spread their vote any thinner and turn what are fairly safe seats into marginals just to try and boost support in another seat.

Going to look it up over the next few days when all the data is in, because I'm really sad like that, and need something to do as the football season is over (If it ever really started? ) and still about two weeks until England play New Zealand.

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

O/T Your morning after election thoughts on 18:29 - May 9 with 2234 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

It's in the Manifesto, they wanted to do it last time and will probably add 20 seats for the Tories, so I think it will be near the top of their list. I actually think it will lead to a more efficient distribution of Tory votes in the South East. We'll see.

There hasn't been much coverage of the local council results has there? Another good news story for the Tories who have taken over thirty councils and around 500 extra seats overall. And UKIP took control of Thanet!

O/T Your morning after election thoughts on 19:00 - May 9 with 2223 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Some of the Manifesto they are looking to drop, without having to go through a "Tuition fees" moment. All parties that win power do it. (It's an open secret that some stuff was put in the manifesto to be used to trade away for a coalition). Anyway Queen's speech will tell us .

In the South East they won 80 out of 84 seats, so not much to be gained there.

Actually if UKIP want to win more MP's they need to take a leaf out of the Lib Dems book and really target 8-10 councils first. However I think they too hell bent on Europe only.

O/T Your morning after election thoughts on 19:10 - May 9 with 2196 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

80 out of 84 is good, but I suppose the view will be that it is history now and that they will want to make sure they have as good a chance as possible of doing the same in future. And it would also limit their losses in London, I should imagine.

Interesting times ahead.

O/T Your morning after election thoughts on 19:31 - May 9 with 2185 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

If they don't sort out the Europe vote whatever they do, they'll be toast.

Need to hold it in 2016, best chance of winning it Goverments tend to still be popular upto 12-15 months after an election. If they leave it to 2017, halfway through a fixed term they've got problems, as by then Goverments tend to be unpopular and voters are just looking for any excuse to give them a bloody nose.

O/T Your morning after election thoughts on 19:39 - May 9 with 2176 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

I agree they need to sort it out, but I'm agnostic on the timing. Although the quicker it is the more chance there is of scaring the EU into offering concessions, I suppose.

The chances are that both the main parties will be more in favour of remaining in, than coming out, I'd imagine. But the case for remaining in needs to be articulated consistently and well.

O/T Your morning after election thoughts on 19:52 - May 9 with 2166 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

"The chances are that both the main parties will be more in favour of remaining in, than coming out, I'd imagine. But the case for remaining in needs to be articulated consistently and well."

Agree

Also holding it before the Scottish elections could also be the best way to start chipping away at the SNP. If will force them to campain along side both Labour and the Tories for a yes vote.

Not too sure he'll get too much from Merkel, however the devil will be in the detail.

With a hostile press, need to start explaining the case for staying in now.

O/T Your morning after election thoughts on 20:08 - May 9 with 2157 viewsPlumbs

Jocks just showing perfectly how big that chip on their collective shoulder is,and Labour proving that don't listen to rank and file once again.
Ironic that the idiot in charge of the Town Hall got back in and continues his one man class war, which does neither the town or his party any favours.

Real fans go to pubs like the HITW or the Welly

O/T Your morning after election thoughts on 06:25 - May 10 with 2129 viewsbig_bloomers

Astonished that so many were surprised by that result - effectively that last week you had Milliband with Brand, a tombstone and falling off stage at Question Time all of which reinforced a lot of people's belief that he is a bumbling buffoon!!

Poll: Protesting or Not Protesting - Official Poll

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024