Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rooney ENG's greatest goalscorer (soon to be) 10:47 - Sep 4 with 4741 viewsWeaverQPR

I'm not having that whatever the the stats say, never turns up in the Euros/WC only scores in qualifying v eastern europes worst teams and two bob friendlies.

@WeavQPR

Rooney ENG's greatest goalscorer (soon to be) on 10:58 - Sep 4 with 4725 viewsJuzzie

Yup, out of all of his goals he's scored against Brazil twice and both were friendlies, Argentina (friendly), Uruguay (WC group game) & Holland (friendly) once each. That's it, just 5 goals against top opposition and just ONE of those was a competitive game. One.

All the rest have been against mainly Balkan & East European teams.

Source: http://www.englandstats.com/players.php?pid=1126

I know you can only play against who is in front of you but the fact the vast majority of his goals are against smaller countries that probably didn't even exist when the likes of Charlton, Lineker etc were around.

He'll be immortalised for actually not being as good as the record books suggest, and shinning a goal against Man City.

[Post edited 4 Sep 2015 12:30]

Rooney ENG's greatest goalscorer (soon to be) on 11:00 - Sep 4 with 4707 viewseasthertsr

Has never fulfilled the promise he had as a teenager. He has developed into a decent player but at the highest level he is miles behind Messi , Rinaldo etc. Some of his performances for England in the last five years have been shocking. Often picked on reputation during this time.

Rooney ENG's greatest goalscorer (soon to be) on 11:12 - Sep 4 with 4678 viewsWeaverQPR

For me he has peaked, he ain't the player he used to be. Maybe he should of stayed at Everton for a couple more years, have Man U burnt him out?

@WeavQPR

Rooney ENG's greatest goalscorer (soon to be) on 11:25 - Sep 4 with 4644 viewsPBLOCK

Never been a massive fan of Rooney as others have said he a decent player but not in the World Elite (Messi, Ronaldo, Austin ;o) ) that his early promise suggested he may be

In fairness he will break the record and for that he should be congratulated as that is a great achievement.

The reason he won't be remembered as fondly as Lineker (Golden boot winner) and two very good World Cups and Charlton (World Cup winner) is that he has never turned up at a
Major tournament and turned it on. He probably has 2 maybe 3 more tournaments to do it but I won't hold my breath

Rooney ENG's greatest goalscorer (soon to be) on 11:27 - Sep 4 with 4630 viewssimmo

Whatever you want to say about Rooney, and it's true that he didn't reach his potential - he still has double figures for goals and assists every season and has done for the last 5 years, the only player in Premier League history to do it. There's a level of consistency there that goes unnoticed as people focus on what he could/should have been. He's been a key part of United teams that have won things and his record in European cups is brilliant, even in a declining force.

Agree he's not amazing, and although he will hold the record he's not the best player/striker we've had even in my lifetime, but he is still by far the best all round player we have had in recent times, especially upfront where there's been a massive lack of talent since Shearer/Sheringham days.

His problem was that he and Ronaldo were almost at par at one stage, but whereas Ronaldo is a perfectionist, described by every coach that's ever come across him as 'the hardest trainer in the club', Rooney smokes, goes out, smashes grannies and is obviously content with being better than most others without striving to be one of the best ever. He's always made himself available though and as discussed, there has to be someone to finish the moves, inevitably it's him. Not one of the greats, but fair play to him for doing it.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Rooney ENG's greatest goalscorer (soon to be) on 11:32 - Sep 4 with 4597 viewsHayesender

Rooney peaked at euro 2004 imo.

Never been the same for England since

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Rooney ENG's greatest goalscorer (soon to be) on 11:40 - Sep 4 with 4564 viewsJamie

The ultimate flat track bully.

Rooney ENG's greatest goalscorer (soon to be) on 12:00 - Sep 4 with 4505 viewslongbottom

Jimmy Greaves........England's greatest goalscorer....bar none.

Rooney ENG's greatest goalscorer (soon to be) on 12:08 - Sep 4 with 4478 viewsSydneyRs

Owen, Shrearer and Lineker all better strikers for England.

Agree with those who say he has never lived up to the promise he originally showed. I think he moved to Man Utd too soon during an era where they were dominating and making him look better than he was.

Rooney ENG's greatest goalscorer (soon to be) on 12:12 - Sep 4 with 4474 viewsCamberleyR

Yep. 44 goals in 57 games, six international hat tricks (the most by an England player) and didn't play for England after the age of 27.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Rooney ENG's greatest goalscorer (soon to be) on 12:30 - Sep 4 with 4419 viewswhittocksRs

Rooney's consistency is impressive, the goals, assists and versatility are all great qualities that mark him out. He's pulled some very, very average United teams to titles they shouldn't have one and is still probably England's best player.

That said, he's not in my top 10 England players, nor in my top 10 Premier League players of all time. He's wasted a lot of his talent by not pushing himself to really get the best out of his gifts — he scores goals but should have been really pushing the Ronaldo/Messi level of 35+ per season given his natural ability.

His attitude to winning is good, but his approach and mentality are not those of a legendary player. He's too involved in how the fans treat him (that comment to camera gave him away), and he can't shake his bad habits: smoking, drinking, playfighting with scallies and cheating on his wife with grannies.

Still an excellent player, but it's a struggle to see him as anything better than somewhere in the lower part of England's top 20 all-timers.

Rooney ENG's greatest goalscorer (soon to be) on 12:54 - Sep 4 with 4364 viewsdoogi55

scored more goals in tourment games he is up there but will never be regarded as the best till england win something,
dont forget charlton scored goals in the home internationals that where held every year.

Rooney ENG's greatest goalscorer (soon to be) on 13:03 - Sep 4 with 4330 viewsTacticalR

I really don't see how grannies can have had a negative impact on Rooney's game.

Air hostess clique

Rooney ENG's greatest goalscorer (soon to be) on 13:41 - Sep 4 with 4254 viewsSimonJames

Yes, definitely Greavsie.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Rooney ENG's greatest goalscorer (soon to be) on 13:49 - Sep 4 with 4228 viewsBluce_Ree

If people didn't have sh1t for brains and Liverpool hadn't ruined him. Peter Crouch could have been a contender.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Rooney ENG's greatest goalscorer (soon to be) on 13:59 - Sep 4 with 4213 viewsQPR_Jim

It's a difficult one, someone should probably run a study to get a definitive answer. Just need a willing sample of players..

Rooney ENG's greatest goalscorer (soon to be) on 14:06 - Sep 4 with 4177 viewsJuzzie

"scored more goals in tourment games he is up there..." is that Rooney you are referring to?

If so, he has scored one tournament goal and that was last year in Brazil.

Plenty of goals against Slobodovia but in qualifiers.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2015 14:09]

Rooney ENG's greatest goalscorer (soon to be) on 14:57 - Sep 4 with 4098 viewsToast_R

Gary Lineker for me, did it in the tournaments always dependable for a goal no matter who the opposition.

Fair play to Rooney though, I think the stick he gets is a trifle unfair. He's scored a few a the Euros in 2004 aswell as the goal that got us to the quarters in 2012. His big misses though have been at the 2010 World Cup. 2006 he was injured. He even score in Russia in 2008 which should have qualified us for that had Gerrard not missed a sitter to make it 2-0.

Rooney ENG's greatest goalscorer (soon to be) on 15:57 - Sep 4 with 4048 viewsTW_R

Hasn't he scored 4 or 5 goals in the Euro finals?

Rooney ENG's greatest goalscorer (soon to be) on 16:13 - Sep 4 with 4011 viewsJuzzie

One against Ukraine, two against Croatia and two against Switzerland. No disrespect to them but they're not world giants.

http://www.englandstats.com/players.php?pid=1126

Sorry, my point, rather badly, was he's scored just one goal against top opposition in tournament games. That was last year.

Rooney ENG's greatest goalscorer (soon to be) on 16:28 - Sep 4 with 3988 viewssimmo

But the entire England team as a whole have shit out at tournaments. Also, he can only score against the better teams at major tournaments by actually playing them. We play those in our group and then get knocked out by one of the better teams if we qualify, you can;t expect him to score against Germany, Brazil, Spain, etc when we never make the latter stages to play them.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Rooney ENG's greatest goalscorer (soon to be) on 17:20 - Sep 4 with 3940 viewsTW_R

Well, Greaves only scored 4 goals during qualifying or in tournament games and 3 of those were in a WC qualifier against Luxembourg where England won 8-0. Sir Les has a similar record I believe.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024