Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Doughty 07:03 - Apr 30 with 2853 viewsDixie_CT

I've often over believed in our players abilities from a pure hope that they do well (Mike Sharon, Kevin McLeod, Petter Vagen Moën) but I do see something in Michael Doughty that thinks he should be getting more game time.

In his small cameo yesterday it felt like he won more headers in the middle of the park than Freeman, Manning and Luongo did all game. Basically he was a physical presence, on the deck and in the air, which we've desperately lacked at times. I'm a fan of Mass who is great at winning the ball back but it's normally from a slide tackle due to bad positioning or slow speed of thought. Freeman isn't reallly that guy and let's just say that Mannings tackling is a work in progress.

Doughty also retains possession quite well and generally looks for a forward pass. Mass passes like a League two player, it's his biggest failure which for a CM is a bit of an issue, especially if you haven't got someone next to him who keeps it moving well. Goss could be the perfect partner for Luongo but needs to get up to Championship speed from U23 football and quick. I actually see Freeman more as a winger or 10 and Manning could be used at the point of a 3 man midfield in a 4-5-1/4-3-2-1 or 4-3-3.

I thought Olly was a big fan of Doughty but that doesn't seem to have equated to game time. Maybe there is something missing from training ground to match day but you would be surprised if it was to do with his character and he's shown some great hunger and desire in the short amount of game time I've seen him play.

I hope to see more of Doughts next season as I think he could save us a fortune looking for something we've already got.

Doughty on 10:25 - Apr 30 with 2651 viewsfrancisbowles

Yes he was very good coming on today but when he did start a game after coming back from Swindon he was poor. Should get another chance next week and needs to do well.

Doughty on 10:35 - Apr 30 with 2623 viewsAntti_Heinola

Hmmm. I like Doughty, but it's time for him to join Derry or Ainsworth. He did well when he came on, but at 2-0, it's a simpler job, and with the advantage of fresh legs. He has no pace and while i was very grateful ffor his tackles yeaterday, i don't see him in the same league as Manning, Luongo, Freeman or Cousins.

Bare bones.

Doughty on 13:35 - Apr 30 with 2533 viewssmegma

That was his only poor performance in the 15 appearances he's made.

Doughty on 13:45 - Apr 30 with 2520 viewsTacticalR

@Dixie_DT 'In his small cameo yesterday it felt like he won more headers in the middle of the park than Freeman, Manning and Luongo did all game.'

I think the simple explanation for that is that he's taller than they are.

Air hostess clique

Doughty on 14:22 - Apr 30 with 2452 viewsDixie_CT

He does have a 3 inch height advantage over the other 3 but by that logic, Matt Smith never loses a header.

Les was only 5ft 11" and wasn't too bad in the air so for me, height isn't indicative of aerial ability

It also screams we need more presence in centre mid as it's a crucial area.

Doughty on 14:34 - Apr 30 with 2422 viewsDannytheR

If Doughty ever has anything more than a bit part for QPR, I'll be seriously worried about us.

Doughty on 14:41 - Apr 30 with 2412 viewsTacticalR

I like Freeman, Manning and Luongo, but I agree we have a problem of not winning headers in midfield. It might be a problem that we can live with (as a comparison Spain beat Germany in 2010 with a smaller midfield, and the very small Japan women's team beat the Germany women's team in 2011), but it's hard to imagine that being the case in this division.

Air hostess clique

Doughty on 15:33 - Apr 30 with 2346 viewsted_hendrix

Paul Parker was one hell of a great header of the ball and I don't think he was 6' tall.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Doughty on 15:58 - Apr 30 with 2298 viewsNeil_SI

For me, Doughty's issue at this level is his lack of tactical discipline. He can be naive in the way he presses play and vacates his position.

He needs to improve on his decision making and the timing of his decision to press, because when I've seen him play, he's often done this at poor moments and left the midfield and defence exposed and vulnerable on the counter.

At this level, it can be the difference between winning and losing matches and I think that's one of the reasons he's yet to "make it" by now. At 24, he's still to play a full season of competitive football and he desperately needs to be playing regularly.

On a physical level, I don't think he's particularly quick or agile, however, he uses what he has in straight lines and pockets of space related to his position and zone well enough. So, while that might be a concern for some, I think in the right set up and team, it's less of an issue for him.

I can't say I noticed he was more dominant in the air over other players either, but then, there's not too many midfielders these days who are.

For the sake of his own career, unless he gets a guarantee from Holloway that he'll play more, he should move on and find a team where he'll get those games and the opportunity to work on these details.

Doughty on 16:48 - Apr 30 with 2248 viewsvegasranger

Doughty just isn't good enough for the Championship. Main faults for me are lack of pace and poor levels of fitness.

Doughty on 18:09 - Apr 30 with 2140 viewsNorthernr

Yeh not sure about the fitness but he can't get around the place quick enough. Looks a good player in League One, and I still think we could have used him more when we were pissing about with Henry, but he should get himself a permanent, regular gig downstairs now.

Doughty on 18:29 - Apr 30 with 2106 viewsE17hoop

Could he play the Hall role?

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Doughty on 21:25 - Apr 30 with 1949 viewsbosh67

I am not sure I agree with people saying he is too slow. He just needs game time. When he was played in our Prem days he was deployed very deep or at the back and he looked very comfortable. I think if we let him go we are shooting ourselves in the foot.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Doughty on 21:30 - Apr 30 with 1940 viewsbosh67

I don't see him in the same position as Manning, Luongo or Freeman. He's more suited to the deeper Derry type role. As for Cousins, and I may be stirring because of all the injuries, but on what evidence apart from a good game against us for Charlton are you basing his ability to be any better than Doughty, or Basil Brush for that matter? It would appear to me that Doughty is a more effective play breaker and Basil Brush has better legs.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Doughty on 09:52 - May 1 with 1688 viewsderbyhoop

I must admit to not having seen a huge amount of him playing for us but from what I have seen, I don't think he is up to Championship level. I think he's a L1 player, probably quite a decent one at that level. The lack of pace is a real detriment. He probably would have been a better bet than Karl Henry, when we were messing about with him. I don't hear many advocating for the Henry in the Championship.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Doughty on 10:09 - May 1 with 1654 viewsDixie_CT

Depends on how well he's linked up with his other players in regards to his decision to press. If he goes on his own and leave big holes which aren't filled then it's a big issue. If he's trying to squeeze the play and others recognise that so slide across to create a block (after much training on recognising pictures and triggers) then it's less of an issue. That being said, we should always be hunting in packs of mutilples as it's a lot more effect in winning the ball back.

At Brentford and against Forest, I was really concerned at our lack of urgency, as individuals and units, to react to a cross field pass. Not so much of an issue on Saturday as Forest didn't pose much of a threat but it was one of main weapons used by Brentford to cause damage (Jota 1 v 1 against Bidwell.

Do you think Doughty or Goss would be better in there to counter such threats?
[Post edited 1 May 2017 10:10]

Doughty on 11:23 - May 1 with 1574 viewsdodge_stoke_r

I personally think Mike Sherron gets a bit of a rough ride. Maybe because of high expectations following a very good couple of seasons at Stoke. But he played 60 odd games and got 20 goals. What would we give for a goal every 3 games striker now?

Doughty on 14:30 - May 1 with 1507 viewsNeil_SI

The occasions I'm talking about are much bigger issues than pressing in packs or alone, I've seen him not recognise the danger of coming off of his position and leaving gaping holes when there's a high chance we're about to lose the ball, so in some ways, not reading the game properly and making a naive mistake.

In others, I've seen him trying to press a ball that's a good 15-20 yards away from his starting position, which to me, leaves a lot to be desired. Of course, he may well have improved on some of this in his recent loan spells, I am talking about the last times I've watched him play for us.

In addition, there's a way to press and still narrow angles and close of space behind you as you do it, or to shape the player on the ball into going in the direction you want him to, and I just don't see that happening here, but to be fair, I could say that about one or two others as well.

I think Grant Hall has played the holding role really well in the middle, and it's been evident that we've missed him since he's been injured in the system that Holloway wants to try and play. He's been integral to the shape and has protected those behind him well when he's been in there and dropped into defence when it's made sense.

I'm not particularly worried about cross field passes, but where we've been pretty poor for a while now is the lack of protection sometimes offered to the full backs, or just not doing enough to stop crosses and cut off angles when the ball is out wide. Bidwell's had a tough campaign, but he's barely had any protection this season and been expected to do a job in defence and attack at the same time. The balance on that side hasn't been quite right all season and then you need to rely on central midfielders to try and cover and that's always going to ask questions about whether someone should stick or come away from their position to help out.

Personally if I were Doughty I'd move on and make sure I found a club that I know I would play. I think we have better players in his position. I'm unsure about Goss, he's just not played enough competitive football and he's another one who needs to get on his bike for the sake of his own career, he has to play to work on the bits and pieces he needs to and quickly get himself up to speed of the demands of the Championship.

But, again, it's not really a surprise because Goss had never played a competitive match until he came here. He won't get any better sat on the bench or in the stands either, so really he needs minutes under his belt to help him progress and answer the questions of him. So, that's true of Doughty, Goss, Washington, etc, and they need a fair run of games in the side unchecked no matter their performance to aid their progress. It just doesn't look like we can afford to do that with so many of them though, hence why I think Doughty should move on so he has that chance.

Doughty on 19:25 - May 1 with 1357 viewsTheJudge

I've wanted him to stake a claim in the 1st team for years, but I just don't think it's going to happen for him here now.
He needs to go and get a career rolling elsewhere imo

Doughty on 20:57 - May 1 with 1294 viewsJamesB1979

Think we have better midfielders at club and for me if we want to improve next season, he needs to be one of the squad we move on permanently.

Doughty on 23:05 - May 1 with 1223 viewswombat

I'd play him just in front of the back four myself . Tackles well decent in the air and can spot a pass

Poll: which is your favouite foot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024