Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would you sell Manning 07:34 - Apr 30 with 10519 viewsDixie_CT

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/bournemouth-crystal-palace-

Would look to make a profit on the boy from Galway who we signed for £50k and must have cost us less than £100k in wages and bonuses? How much would he be worth?

Or do you see him as an integral part of a promotion chasing team that could return millions??

For me, I'd cash in at £4/5m and invest in a war horse of a centre back that could be captain or a time machine to go and get a 27 year old version of Clint Hill

Would you sell Manning on 22:48 - May 3 with 1771 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Some fair comments there from the palace report. I don't agree that he needs to "bulk up". Seems strong enough to me. I find it hard to criticise him at all really.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Would you sell Manning on 00:05 - May 4 with 1718 viewsDannytheR

I wouldn't necessarily argue with the Palace report, but I have to say, being patronised by that bunch of jumped up wrong 'uns like we're some sort of feeder club for them when their natural home is the arse end of the Championship really makes me really fking ANGRY.

Would you sell Manning on 10:43 - May 4 with 1629 viewsterryb

I'm quite pleased with the Croydon paper.

God forbid that they sign anyone from us that may be of value. They are far better off signing "stars" like McCarthy & the ex Swansea midfielder (name forgotten)!

This has raised my hopes that Samuel may decide that he can make Caulker a priority signing. They would also pay a couple of million more than anyone else!

Would you sell Manning on 11:02 - May 4 with 1607 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I cringe every time I hear that

Would you sell Manning on 11:05 - May 4 with 1602 viewsCroydonCaptJack

The last paragraph - 'the likes of Bournemouth and Palace come calling'
Hardly Man Utd and Chelsea is it!

Would you sell Manning on 11:37 - May 4 with 1575 viewsTacticalR

OK, but they've still got piles of cash in easy-to-carry bags.

Air hostess clique

Would you sell Manning on 12:10 - May 4 with 1552 viewsDorse

'Bournemouth and Palace Come Calling' by Oscar Wilde

Act 1, Scene 1 - Loftus Hall, Breakfast Room, Morning

Binky (Excitedly entering the room): I say, Algy old chap, I have a telegram here from His Majesty's Equerry!
Algy (looking up from his quails egg omlette): Really? Well, out with it man, what does it say?
Binky: It seems that the Palace is coming to call on us this very afternoon!
Algy (monocle dropping into his ocelot's liver parfait): But we've got Lord Bournemouth joining us for tiffin!
Binky: It seems they wish to speak regarding matters of great import to Manning.
Algy: What? Manning? The Irish foundling we gave to Dungo the gardener for his 84th birthday?! Bring him in, sir.
(Binky exits stage left and returns with a dishevelled Manning)
Manning: Top o' the morning, faith and begorrah, diddley dee, sirs.
Binky: Speak the King's English, sir, or receive a damned good thrashing.
Manning (cringing): Sorry sirs, I'll try my best, so I will.
Algy: Why should His Majesty's Equerry wish to discuss matters of great import with you? Come on lad, out with it.
Manning: It must be about the golden locket.
Algy and Binky (together): Golden Locket?
Manning: Yes sirs, it was a ll I was bequeathed, so it was. A little locket with a picture of the old Queen...
Algy: That's enough from you, young scamp. Of you go now, I want to see that compost pruned properly by lunch.
(Manning exits grovelling)
Algy: I think he may be His Majesty's long lost son. I have a plan. If we can substitute my own son in his place then we could be made fabulously wealthy.
Binky: We already are.
Algy: I know, but damn it, I'd trade it all for a little more. Bring in my son.
(MIchael Petrasso enters, stage right)

Etc etc etc etc etc

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Would you sell Manning on 13:10 - May 4 with 1507 viewsHunterhoop

Good work, Dorse.

I find myself with a different view to Manning on here.

Firstly, I wouldn't sell him at all, at present.

However, I think many, especially Clive, overrate him, based on performances to date. I think some of that is down to wanting him to be good and the most cursed of friends, "hope". Equally, I think some of it is down to the fact he broke into the team just after we had been horribly bad (Holloway's first 6 game losing streak), and he looked good by comparison to the mess around him.

However, since then, the performances of Freeman and Luongo have improved (even in the second losing streak!), and, unsurprisingly Manning's performances appear to have dropped off a tad. I'm not sure they have, I just think comparatively, he's not actually "that" good, as per people's original thoughts.

But this is football, we're fans, and narratives stick easily.

I think Manning has lots of potential. I think he understands the game and plays with far more maturity than you would expect of someone with such little game experience. He can clearly see a good pass and he's full of energy and presses well. I like him, let me stress that.

However, I don't think he's nearly as good as Freeman or Luongo.....yet. I'm sure he will be, and he may well surpass them. But I certainly don't see, in his play today, what others do.

He is more "lightweight" in possession than Luongo. He makes fewer tackles and, in my view, is bullied off the ball more easily. In possession, he's not as good as Freeman, his touch isn't as good, nor is his passing or shooting. Positionally, I think he's much more naïve than Luongo. Yes, he presses well, but he gets turned and ends up the wrong side of his opposite man, far more often than Luongo. And, whilst he can see a pass, like Luongo, he isn't able to execute to as good a consistency as a top Championship centre midfielder should be.

Finally, is he a defensive, holding, harrying CM? Is he a quarterback type CM? Is he a box-box man? Basically, is he a Shaun Derry type, an Ali Faurlin/Shelvey type, or a Frank Lampard/Steven Gerrard type?

I'm not sure Holloway, or indeed himself, have quite worked out what type of centre midfielder he is yet.

Again, let me reassert that I really like him and would definitely keep him. I think he's very young with enormous potential and played such few games that his ceiling could/should be so much higher. If we can enjoy that improvement in performance in the next year or two, we'll be better off on the pitch and better off financially when we sell him on.

But, he's nowhere near the finished article, and he's not quite the messiah some make out, in my opinion, anyway.

If next year we play a 442 (of sorts)
Smithies
Furlong Onouha Hall Robinson
Wszolek Luongo Manning Freeman
Washington Smith

and away a 4231 where you lose one Manning/Freeman/Washington to fit in an extra centre half, pushing Hall up alongside Luongo in the "2".

I think we'll be much better and he'll progress really nicely. And I don't think we'll need too many new players to have the squad to make that team/shape a success.

Let's not heap too much pressure on him though.

Would you sell Manning on 13:25 - May 4 with 1477 viewsTacticalR

Is he a bird? Is he a plane? How can we sell him when we can't even define him?

Air hostess clique

Would you sell Manning on 14:31 - May 4 with 1435 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Very interesting analysis, Hunter.

I get quite a few of my Irish friends asking me about him and I find that the only sensible reply I can give is that I've seen far too little of him to judge. I've seen him likened to Liam Brady on this board and from the half a dozen games I've seen that seems extremely optimistic to me. Brady could run a game from centrefield and bend the planets to his will. Manning is promising with a great attitude and no little skill but is only just at the beginning of a journey.

Next year when I can watch 30 additional games a season I'll be very interested to watch him learn and progress.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Would you sell Manning on 14:46 - May 4 with 1419 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I agree we shouldn't overhype him.

He's the next Ray Wilkins.

Would you sell Manning on 15:11 - May 4 with 1391 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Does he drive?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Would you sell Manning on 15:28 - May 4 with 1374 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Only when he can't walk!

Would you sell Manning on 17:10 - May 4 with 1331 viewsTonto

if the price is right, of course we sell...

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Would you sell Manning on 07:14 - May 5 with 1243 viewsLadbrokeR

There you go. You've got manager potential.

Would you sell Manning on 10:07 - May 5 with 1191 viewsfrancisbowles

Very thorough Hunter and I find myself agreeing with most of it. I'm not sure whether he is potentially the new Faurlin in deep midfield or the left sided attacking midfielder in a three, four or even five (wing back). I think we should continue giving him minutes in all of these roles next season to carry on aiding his development.

I think the Brady type comparisons come from the lovely left footed passes that was the first thing I noticed about him on his debut at Wolves.

Would you sell Manning on 11:15 - May 5 with 1140 viewsTheChef

Smithies
Furlong Onouha Hall Robinson
Wszolek Luongo Manning Freeman
Washington Smith

I quite like the look of that, and that's without taking into account any summer recruitment. Although there's the usual question mark over Robinson's fitness

As Clive mentioned on the podcast you don't need umpteen systems for the Championship - just a consistent formation, pattern of play and playing players in their right positions regularly enough over 46 games.

Warnock did that for the most part in one full season, and look how that turned out.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024