Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McClaren 17:03 - Jan 6 with 4394 viewstraininvain

Aside from getting most of the managerial decisions / results right recently, it feels like we’re starting to see the benefit of having a top coach on the training ground working with the squad.

I’m noticing improvements across the pitch in the style of football and individual performance levels. The players (see Freeman, Eze etc) look fitter than I can remember for a long time.

One of the main arguments for McClaren was the improvements we’d see as a result of his coaching methods. It looks like we’re starting to reap the rewards.

McClaren on 17:08 - Jan 6 with 4346 views100percent

And the confidence he has instilled.... a group of players that all know the role they have to play. bloody excellent.

McClaren on 17:13 - Jan 6 with 4290 viewsbosh67

After an ultra dodgy start he has managed to get a squad of players that play as a team and play with their hearts on their sleeves. If he does give Manning and Smyth a chance soon then he really has got a very good bunch to call from.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

McClaren on 17:14 - Jan 6 with 4282 views08olesen

I cant remember many better organized teams at QPR in recent years. The front four play interchangeably in a very smooth way. BOS and AO were excellent today as was Hall and Furlong

Poll: Who will the other play off

McClaren on 17:16 - Jan 6 with 4265 viewstraininvain

Personally, I feel that Smyth would do well to go out on loan. He’s unlikely to get many minutes this season given competition for places and first team football would help his long term development.

McClaren on 17:23 - Jan 6 with 4191 viewsted_hendrix

I think Steve McClaren has done a superb job and long may it continue, my only concern and it is a 'slight' concern is the he'll get head hunted by a Prem club who are currently in trouble.
Don't want to put a damper on todays result or the progress we've made so far but it does worry me a bit.
Anyway great result today so we move on (happily)

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

McClaren on 17:32 - Jan 6 with 4118 viewstraininvain

It’s a good problem to have. When was the last time we were worried about losing our manager to a Premiership club?!

And who would’ve predicted such a problem after WBA away!

McClaren on 18:27 - Jan 6 with 3926 viewsdavman

Ted,

I may be wrong, but Mcclaren would probably need to do a hell of a lot more than keep us in the top 10 in the league and through to the 4th Round to shake off the baggage he has accrued since the Newcastle job. I think he will be here for a little while yet.

My concern is how we replace Wells, Hemed and Cameron next season. If he wants Oteh to develop, he either needs to loan him out, which he can't do whilst we only have Wells and Smith fit, or give him a chance when Wells has to be replaced. Also, BOS needs more game time, especially if the club ends up not offering Pav a new contract.

We are safe from relegation and, if in a few weeks we are out of the playoff race, it is time to roll the kids out bit by bit so that they are ready to start next season when we will be even poorer...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

McClaren on 18:34 - Jan 6 with 3871 viewsBlackCrowe

Added to this, I sit next to the duggout and, for what it's worth in football, he seems emotionally very invested in the club and the players - he's enjoying it, no doubt.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

McClaren on 18:55 - Jan 6 with 3776 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Can't agree more with the OP, but why did it go so wrong with him elsewhere?

McClaren on 19:00 - Jan 6 with 3728 viewstraininvain

Interesting question. Worth noting that a couple of his more recent jobs were over pretty quickly after they started. Could’ve been the same with us to be fair.

My view is that McClaren needs time to implement his ideas and a squad which will buy into his methods. It helps that we have a young squad and not many (any?) big egos amongst the older professionals.

McClaren on 19:45 - Jan 6 with 3599 viewsPapillon

Agree, but not just "starting to see the benefit of having a top coach...", would say it's been evidential for some time now, no? First four or five games of the season aside, when he was finding his feet in the job. IMO.

McClaren on 19:54 - Jan 6 with 3559 viewstraininvain

Maybe but I’d say that over the last month or so our performances have been more consistent. Our style of play more noticeable. Fitness levels have been brilliant over the Christmas / New Year period.

Probably splitting hairs and hopefully this is just the beginning of McClaren’s time in charge at the club.

McClaren on 19:56 - Jan 6 with 3549 viewsflynnbo

Also nice to see that we actually pose a threat at corners and vary them. A far cry from the days when Barton couldn't clear the first defender.

McClaren on 19:56 - Jan 6 with 3538 viewsdannyblue

Sorry. DOwn arrow was a fat fingered phone mistake. Meant to be an up arrow

McClaren on 21:33 - Jan 6 with 3286 viewsNoelmc

Yes, nice to see some variety on corners. However, the huge improvement in this area is the quality of Freeman’s set-piece delivery. It really is consistently excellent. We’ve not possessed anyone with this ability in ages. Possibly, Lee Cook, was the last player we had with similar quality.

McClaren on 22:03 - Jan 6 with 3168 viewsToast_R

Every issue/weakness has been addressed and worked on with noticeable improvement. Something Holloway for whatever reason, seemed incapable of.

McClaren on 22:42 - Jan 6 with 3032 viewsplasmahoop

Steve mclarens overall record is pretty decent. He did well at Middlesbrough, got the England job, and won the league in Holland. Did OK at Derby too. Newcastle have always been a bit of a basket case, and he left forest almost immediately. So basically he knows what he's doing and I think it's the England job that has led to the general lack of respect he encounters

McClaren on 23:50 - Jan 6 with 2883 viewsPunteR

I'm not trying to take anything away from SM who has done a fantastic job but i do think a lot of what we're seeing now is all the hard work done by the club over the last few seasons.
The team spirit and camaraderie must surely be down to not only the coaching now but also signing the right sorts and having a proper wage structure. I think that helps with everyone pulling in the same direction. Hats off to Ferdinand and Hoos.
Ramsey should also get a mention who it seems is doing an incredible job getting players into the first team. No doubt he's a very good coach and well respected. Penrice and also Ollie have imo been very influential to this team as well.
SM even acknowledged that this team had a togetherness when he got here. The teams spirit and attitude got them through those first few bad games.
Steve McClaren's played a massive part of course and also his coaching team but as a club we've done a few hard seasons to get where we are now. Maybe its why he's doing better here than he has done at other clubs recently. We're actually being well run for a change!
Still much more work to do if we do want to compete in the premier league but for now we seem a decent championship club.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

McClaren on 00:14 - Jan 7 with 2833 viewsBrianMcCarthy

PunteR, I think that's a great point.

For many years we spoke on here about whether any manager could really change this club as just one human being, so bad was the culture.

Now, thanks to the hard work of many people, some of whom you have listed above, we are at the stage where our manager freely admits that he is merely adding to the good work of others.

PS. I feel bad for Steve Gallen who put so much into developing these lads and must surely feel proud of his work now.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

McClaren on 05:33 - Jan 7 with 2654 viewssmegma

Mark Hughes was the last one !!!!

McClaren on 05:52 - Jan 7 with 2626 viewstimcocking

Future England manager...

McClaren on 09:12 - Jan 7 with 2449 viewsDejR_vu

Looks a bit weird Derby got rid of him second time. I think he has a 50%+ win ratio in his first stint but ‘only’ about 45% second time around?? I think they fell away from the play-offs but that must have been his only bad run?

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

McClaren on 09:23 - Jan 7 with 2416 viewsDixie_CT

McClaren is doing a fine job and I think a masterstroke of his was getting Eustace and Gardiner in along side him.

I watch them quite a lot and I think they are crucial to what we are doing. Coaches talk all the time to players but it's how it's done and whether the coach is respected enough for it to impact and I get with these guys that they are getting it spot on.

Gavin Ward is another worth a mention. After Ingram gave us kittens with his slow kicking, Ward was out of the dug oit telling him to focus and in a very calm way. Pretty big standard stuff you'd think but it's not always a given.

Lastly, they all seem to but into the club. I remember at Forest, Eustace and Gardiner were the last two off the pitch, soaking up with pure delirium in the away end. That sort of reaction must make the day job pretty special!

McClaren on 09:45 - Jan 7 with 2356 viewsCamberleyR

"I think they fell away from the play-offs but that must have been his only bad run?"

It was. The second time at Derby he was probably harshly done to. When he took over in October they were 20th.
https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-championship/09-october-2016/

At the end of January 2017 they were 6th. Not long before that they'd won seven straight in the league (including a win at LR in December). After January until he got sacked, they only won once in ten games but despite this they were still only 10th. Given they're not much above that position two years later you'd say the Derby board were perhaps a bit trigger happy at the time.

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-championship/31-january-2017/

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-championship/13-march-2017/
[Post edited 7 Jan 2019 10:02]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024