Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smyth 19:05 - Jan 6 with 3231 viewsMedwayR

Disappointed he didn’t get a game today, should we be looking to send him out on loan for the rest of the season?

Poll: Who’s better?

Smyth on 19:07 - Jan 6 with 3209 viewsLongsufferingR

I was thinking he should be the one to replace Oteh near the end rather than Chair, but at the moment I'm more than happy to believe that McClaren knows best and whatever he decides goes!

Smyth on 19:07 - Jan 6 with 3208 viewssmegma

Let's talk about those that did play,

Smyth on 19:33 - Jan 6 with 3052 viewsdixiedean

He was stripped and ready to come on but we scored from the corner so he sat down again. Similar thing happened v Reading with Chair after about 55 . Smyth for BOS would have made sense as he was cramping up , no doubt due to lack of game time. Which has a certain irony.

Smyth on 19:41 - Jan 6 with 2994 viewsdannyblue

I really like him and am Sad not to have seen him this season after having been so excited by him last.

SM seems not to fancy him at all.

Bunch of northern Irish fans came for a game a couple weeks ago and stood next to me. They met with Smyth, Saville and McNair before the game. FWIW they told me Smyth says he’s been trying to talk to SM about why he’s not in the squad but SM refuses to meet with him.

Smyth on 19:59 - Jan 6 with 2935 viewstraininvain

Chair seems to have done something to get ahead of Smyth in the pecking order which suggests that McClaren’s making a judgment based upon what he sees in training.

Maybe Smyth needs to work harder in training.

Smyth on 20:10 - Jan 6 with 2882 viewsdaveB

They play in different positions so doubt that has anything to do with it

Smyth on 20:30 - Jan 6 with 2802 viewstraininvain

The three attackers behind the centre forward are pretty much interchangeable. The system isn’t rigid which makes it difficult to defend against.

Smyth’s competition for a place in the team includes Freeman, Pavel, Eze, Bright, Chair etc. It’s competitive which is a wonderful thing to see.

Smyth on 20:44 - Jan 6 with 2750 viewsEsox_Lucius

I actually spoke with Paul before our last home game and asked him directly "Does the manager not fancy you?" and he said "No, he doesn't" I asked had he tried talking to him about what he needs to do and he told me he doesn't talk to the players about his decisions like that. I then asked him if he has approached Eustace then and he told me that he is the same. I get that the manager shouldn't have to explain his decisions to the players, especially as he seems to have got it right this season, but having a sit down with a player to explain what it is that they need to do to progress with him isn't undermining his authority surely? Might be a good question for the next fans forum?

The grass is always greener.

Smyth on 20:47 - Jan 6 with 2727 viewsRBlock

From what I understand, Chair is doing fantastically for the U23s, whilst Smyth is looking rather average. I get this from my brother who watches all the U23 games, rather than my own opinion, but it would make sense as to why Chair is above in the pecking order. He also made a good point, that Smyth is the type of player, with pace and power, to make an impact in any league regardless of technique.

Smyth on 20:48 - Jan 6 with 2722 viewsdaveB

your right on the 3 behind the forward but for me Smyth is a forward or a right winger and Chair a central midfielder or a number 10 so I don't think Chair is getting the nod over Smyth as they are not really competing for the same position. Smyth is up against Pawel and Bright for the right wing role and both of those have been playing well

Smyth on 21:04 - Jan 6 with 2675 viewsCiderwithRsie

"having a sit down with a player to explain what it is that they need to do to progress with him isn't undermining his authority surely"

Dunno, I'm not so sure. There might be a bit of "neither confirm nor deny".

You don't want to get into comparisons between players ("sorry, I'm always going to pick Eze") for sake of team unity. If you say "you're close to getting picked," to one player, someone else is under threat or out in the cold, so maybe best to say nothing to anyone.

I think Traininvain's on the money - there're a lot of players competing in that role due to silly buying, and it's hard on them, especially with S McC's consistent selection replacing the old tombola. But you don't want to say "TBH you're down the pecking order and that's that."

If there're specific weaknesses then yeah that should be pointed out, but maybe there aren't as such - it's just that we don't change a winning team and there's a couple of others just a smidgeon ahead - so keep your head down, work hard in training and hang in, you're still young.

Credit to Smyth for being hungry though; it's the right attitude and I like him.

Smyth on 21:24 - Jan 6 with 2604 viewstraininvain

Always two sides to a story. I doubt McClaren doesn’t fancy him without reason. I’m not sure talking to supporters about the situation is going to help his cause.

Smyth on 22:22 - Jan 6 with 2459 viewsEsox_Lucius

Talking to the fans honestly seems to be a thing under this current set up. I have also had some honest, forthright conversations with Lee Hoos at games and I believe the fan forums are also blessed with this honesty too. Obviously not any confidential subjects but all else is fair game it seems. Paul just answered my question honestly and when pressed a little explained why. If I had found out he had outright lied to me I would lose a lot of respect for him but it didn't feel that way; just a young man frustrated by the situation he finds himself in.

The grass is always greener.

Smyth on 23:49 - Jan 6 with 2318 viewswombat

Hopefully it’s nothing to do with your Paul’s mum costing mclaren off earlier in the season after a few games , he’s out of contract in June so can’t see him being here much longer I’m sorry to say shame as could have been a game changer for us esp as a late submaybe

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Smyth on 10:41 - Jan 7 with 2096 viewsfrancisbowles

Perhaps McClaren is concerned about his lack of physical strength in this league and what cover he can give to the fullback.

I think this may be part of the reason why it looked like he was coming on when we needed a goal but as soon as we had a lead to protect he chose Pav.

Pav and to a lesser extent BOS have developed this side of their game over a considerable time (including Ollie's reign) and are much stronger and aware for it.

Agree Smyth needs to go out on loan and prove himself consistently.

Smyth on 10:59 - Jan 7 with 2049 viewstimcocking

This season must be sickening for him, but we're literally spoilt for riches! Hard to get in this team.

Astonished to see myself write that.

Smyth on 11:02 - Jan 7 with 2042 viewsdaveB

I just think he had a poor game against Sheffield United so was dropped and then we spent the first two months playing without wide players so his chances were limited. Since then Pawel and Wells have been superb so almost impossible to drop either of them and give him a chance.

A loan move seems the best thing for him at the moment but a real shame as I think he could be a star for us

Smyth on 11:56 - Jan 8 with 1790 viewsfrancisbowles

What's the situation on his contract. I think it is up this year but we have an option on another year. Is that correct?

Smyth on 12:36 - Jan 8 with 1713 viewssmegma

Watching him in the under 23s before Christmas, he looked a bit lightweight and was struggling a bit then ended up scoring 4 goals in half a dozen games. Has been in the first team squad a few times since but hasn't made an appearance. There's a reason, like mentioned, Pavel and BOS are in front of him in the pecking order, and rightly so. A shame because he is a talent.

Smyth on 21:16 - Jan 8 with 1511 viewsCiderwithRsie

Sounds a candidate for an arm round the shoulder, tell him he's got talent, but send him out on loan and encourage him to bulk up and then we'll see.

Smyth on 08:56 - Jan 9 with 1346 viewsHunterhoop

Hi Esox, to be honest, this sounds like it’s more on Smyth than McClaren. If he can’t answer “yes, and this is what he said...” to that qn of yours, then Paul hasn’t actually tried properly to talk to McClaren. I find it HIGHLY unlikely that if Smyth approached McClaren at the end of a session and said he’d like to have a 1-1 whenever suited Steve, then Steve would oblige and he’d get the feedback he needs.

I’d suggest this sounds like Smyth is being a tad immature and a) assumes he knows what the feedback will be, or b) he doesn’t actually want to hear the latter. Both mindsets are bad for his own development, for which he is primarily responsible for. He needs to “seek out” feedback to help him improve, to give him clarity and peace of mind, not simply expect it. I actually think this a generational thing. I see it increasingly in the working environment.

It would be a real shame as he is a good young player and could be exciting and develop into a first teamer. But he needs to drive this, not wait for it to happpen, and it will require him to seek feedback, digest it, work hard and have patience (and take his chance when it comes). Simply saying “yeah, the boss doesn’t fancy me...and he’s not approachable” is putting all ownership on McClaren and Smyth abdicating all his own responsibility for his career. It’s disappointing.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024