Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Offside question 17:53 - Jan 14 with 2952 viewsWilly_WonkR

Probably one for Pinner...

I was chatting with a friend over the weekend about Man City's 9-0 win over Burton. Jesus scored in the first half (3rd goal) where, in my opinion, he was about 8 yards offside. The ball was chipped over the defence to Gundogan who squared it first time to Jesus who then scored. Gundogan wasn't offside and neither was Jesus when Gundogan passed to him but I can't see how Jesus hasn't gained an advantage from being in an offside position when the initial chip was played.
As far as I know there isn't a 2nd phase of play law, and even if there was then I can't see how one pass later can be a 2nd phase. Is it part of laws that the ball has to go directly to the player for them to be offside?

Can anyone explain or has the offside law been so tinkered with that nothing is clear any more?

Offside question on 18:04 - Jan 14 with 2923 viewsBoston

ZZZzzzZZZzzz.....sorry, but you know what I mean.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Offside question on 18:06 - Jan 14 with 2921 viewsWilly_WonkR

Thanks

Offside question on 18:11 - Jan 14 with 2914 viewsCroydonCaptJack

What are you?
The Offside police?

Offside question on 18:52 - Jan 14 with 2868 viewsPinnerPaul

'Gaining an advantage' has a specific definition in the LOTG and that is playing the ball when it has rebounded or deflected to you off oppo, teammate or woodwork.

That's a paraphrase but hopefully you get the idea.

I want to pin the first line of the offside law up in every ground because it reads 'It is not an offence to be in an offside position'

As you say 1st pass, he IS in an offside position but doesn't play the ball, isn't close to the ball nor has any impact on oppo playing the ball - so no offence.

2nd pass, as you say, he is now onside when teammate plays the ball so again no offence.

Hope that helps!

Offside question on 19:05 - Jan 14 with 2845 viewsWilly_WonkR

Cheers PP. If that’s the specific law then it explains why the goal should stand.

I’m not trying to suggest he should be given offside for being in that position. My question was just because I thought he gained an advantage by being there.

Offside question on 23:21 - Jan 14 with 2645 viewsstowmarketrange

I run the line for my daughter’s U18 team and it’s sometimes pretty difficult to know if a player is interfering with active play when they might be 25-30 yards away on the other side of the pitch.I know I’ve made mistakes over it this season but seeing as her team normally lose badly,1 stray offside decision doesn’t make much difference.

Offside question on 10:57 - Jan 15 with 2531 viewsfrancisbowles

I think it is far too complicated. I can see why they changed it as before offside was given, more or less, every time someone was in an offside position and the not interfering with play referee's interpretation rarely used.

I was once given offside, when a colleague scored, after pulling a cross back from the goal line. I pointed out that Sir Stanley Matthews would have had a much less effective career if that interpretation had been used by other refs but to no avail.

For me, however, there wasn't much wrong with the old rule if applied correctly. The change that I would like to have seen, would have been a new line 35 yards from the goal line and offsides only in that zone instead of in the opposition half. This would have stopped teams trying to play offside on the halfway line and squeezing the play, which would have the effect of making the game more open and more entertaining.

This was used in the old North American Soccer League, where Rodney, Pele, Best, Beckenbaur and many other 'gods' used their skills towards the end of their careers. It was stopped by Fifa as they wanted all countries to play to the same laws of the game.

Offside question on 12:24 - Jan 15 with 2474 viewsstowmarketrange

I once had a goal disallowed by the ref when I luckily had a shot from just outside the box and it went straight in.He saw someone offside standing in the area but not interfering with play,and decided he was offside.Lucky it was only a friendly.

Can I run the line on the opposite side to the normal side?The norm is to run it on your own left back’s side,but her team rarely cross the halfway line and it means that I have to do all the hard work while their Lino virtually stands on the halfway line.It does keep you fit but I’d like a rest every now and then.

Offside question on 14:15 - Jan 15 with 2385 viewsolderR

So City could use that as a planned move and it's up to the defenders to stay with Jesus.
Sounds like the end of pushing up to catch an oppo offside.

Offside question on 15:21 - Jan 15 with 2355 viewsPinnerPaul

Yes I know what you mean - always told by referees I work 'for' that a late correct flag is better than a wrong early one.

Problem with that one is that its only the referee who will appreciate a late flag , because you can be sure the players won't!

Offside question on 15:34 - Jan 15 with 2345 viewsstowmarketrange

Hopefully the ref will then decide from nearer the action whether the player Ive flagged for is interfering with play or not,but a lot of them will blow for it anyway.
Luckily there aren’t more than 5 or 6 parents from the opponents to give me grief over a bad call,and the girls and women aren’t as aggressive as the boys and men of that age,and they normally accept it without moaning too much.
It does help if they’re winning 10 nil though,which they normally are against my daughter’s team.

Offside question on 15:36 - Jan 15 with 2341 viewsPinnerPaul

If you're acting as a 'club AR' I always ask them to only flag if someone touches the ball or is about to.

If I'm in a 3 in a better game, its obviously got to be a little more complicated/correct!

Offside question on 16:05 - Jan 15 with 2322 viewsstowmarketrange

I’ll remember that then.Our refs are normally at the lower end of ability.They are normally on the way up or the way down.Some are quite young and probably glad to get a game where there aren’t 22 players trying everything they can to win.And the parents are normally restrained on the sidelines too.
We haven’t had a played booked in the 6 years that I’ve been involved in,and it is a pleasure to watch a game without all the hassle you get in some leagues.
They get beaten every week but they still enjoy their football.

Offside question on 16:17 - Jan 15 with 2313 viewsPinnerPaul

Enjoyment is what it should be all about - sadly that's not always the case!

Offside question on 13:39 - Jan 16 with 2163 viewsPinnerPaul

For WW - THIS is what 'gaining an advantage' looks like.

Sadly this wasn't given offside - a mistake obviously!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/46886114
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024