Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Asian Cup Final fred- Qatar v Japan 19:13 - Jan 29 with 3237 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Having given UAE a shoeing in another’embargo classico’, Qatar find themselves in the final on Friday against Japan. Unless I’m mistaken, both teams have reached the final without conceding a goal along the way!

If you’ve lived here, then you’ll know the words ‘road’ and ‘safety’ are rarely written together. Crazy driving tonight - nearly wiped out just the once tonight; as cars hurtle along with people on roofs.

Should be a good game.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Asian Cup Final fred- Qatar v Japan on 21:00 - Jan 29 with 3175 viewsthame_hoops

Qatar in a final...hmmmmm not suspicious at all FIFA

Asian Cup Final fred- Qatar v Japan on 21:37 - Jan 29 with 3142 viewsHooparoo

The fix is in.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Asian Cup Final fred- Qatar v Japan on 22:05 - Jan 29 with 3110 viewsMrSheen

Give the slaves a half day off. Oh alright, a half-hour off.

Asian Cup Final fred- Qatar v Japan on 22:19 - Jan 29 with 3094 viewsLongsufferingR

Just waiting to see how many Spanish and Brazilian players are suddenly granted Qatari citizenship in the next year or two.

Asian Cup Final fred- Qatar v Japan on 07:54 - Jan 30 with 2976 viewsTheChef

Odd isn't it? Especially given their stellar record in previous tournaments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar_national_football_team#Asian_Cup

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Asian Cup Final fred- Qatar v Japan on 15:14 - Jan 30 with 2876 viewsPlanetHonneywood

To be fair to the national team, the coach has been here for several years and worked from youth upwards, and I believe several players have progressed with him into the national side.

The domestic league is maybe not much to trouble you with, but the national side are not bad. They are well coached and no mugs. I’d suggest the likelihood of bribing their way to the final is very unlikely. Saudi and UAE are currently in a major political dispute with Qatar, the tension palpable, and manifesting itself in an embargo. In simple terms, it’s as likely as Man. United and Everton taking a bung to let Liverpool win the league And as for JSP’s lot; came here with hopes of winning, so not sure they’d be so mailable.

Should be a good game, Japan with an extra days rest, will be faves.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!

Asian Cup Final fred- Qatar v Japan on 20:04 - Feb 1 with 2699 viewsHooparoo

What a farce. Qatar come from nowhere and win the Asian Cup. The stench of corruption rears it’s ugly head again. I’m boycotting the 2022 World Cup. Fck ‘Em.

Asian Cup Final fred- Qatar v Japan on 20:22 - Feb 1 with 2684 viewsHooparoo

The test event for the next World Cup - the Confederations Cup, will now Have Qatar present representing Asia. How convenient.

Asian Cup Final fred- Qatar v Japan on 20:26 - Feb 1 with 2676 viewstraininvain

Doesn’t the host nation of the World Cup normally host / participate in the confederations cup a year before the event?

Asian Cup Final fred- Qatar v Japan on 20:28 - Feb 1 with 2674 viewsHooparoo

Don’t think so but in any case, won’t matter now will it? They’re the champions of Asia apparently.

Asian Cup Final fred- Qatar v Japan on 21:44 - Feb 1 with 2625 viewsDannyPaddox

Another hard-luck shoulda cudda betting story maybe but does anyone know what Qatar's odds were before a ball was kicked? It did cross my mind to put a tenner on them. Had a hunch this might happen.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2019 21:47]

Asian Cup Final fred- Qatar v Japan on 22:08 - Feb 1 with 2606 viewsKonk

The straight up geezers at FIFA awarding the World Cup to Qatar was long overdue - a footballing powerhouse, a country with a deep-seated love of the game, a long established footballing culture, and an immigrant population that are so keen to see their adopted country host the tournament that they're prepared to live in portacabin prison blocks and work all the hours that God sends in insane heat for peanuts, just to get the stadiums built. That's fu cking dedication. They're football mad - the Geordies of the Middle-East.

Seeing those plucky underdogs coming good just before they get to host the World Cup... modern football is mega.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Asian Cup Final fred- Qatar v Japan on 02:28 - Feb 2 with 2518 viewsJigsore

this is your completely unbiased opinion i'm sure

doubt there is anything in the way of officiating that particularly helped Qatar. in terms of bending the rules of handing people citizenship? surely. I almost expect that from Qatar, UAE, etc. that looks to be an issue for sometime soon in the future. but they've invested a shit tonne into coaching, academies, etcetera in recent years.

but on the day Qatar were just better than Japan. What it really shows is just how weak Asia is in footballing terms now. Australia in particular absolute pathetic.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2019 2:29]

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Asian Cup Final fred- Qatar v Japan on 05:00 - Feb 2 with 2501 viewsSonofNorfolt

As I said the other week, I'm not going there again. Definitely.

Let me know if you have a spare room just in case.

Asian Cup Final fred- Qatar v Japan on 07:47 - Feb 2 with 2465 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Simple fact: Qatar were the stand out team of the tournament. To think the likes of Oz, Japan and South Korea took bungs not to win, is as daft as thinking the French, Jocks, and Aussies would roll over to let England win the WC.

This is especially so, as Qatar beat the Saudis and UAE who hatred towards Qatar has manifested itself in an embargo from several GCC states. Frankly, no amount of bribery was going to see the UAE roll over against Qatar, to miss out on the final in their own backyard.

Where Qatar has done well - as noted earlier by another poster - is building up and through their youth system and coaching players to be technically solid. Which after spunking half a billion quid, is what we’re now finally doing at QPR.

I don’t know how the WC will work out here. In the three months since I landed, it’s clear there is a pragmatic determination but equally, going from league games where maybe 50 fans attend to managing 50,000 partisan and potentially violent ones, is not something I think they’ve yet understood how you handle it.

Geopolitical concerns and paranoia aside, not a bad game. Qatar’s first goal was one that if Messi scored it, would never see it off TV. Somewhere between Frank Worthington’s over the head juggling effort, and Tricky Trev’s bicycle kick. Second wasn’t bad either.

Solid defending as Japan launched a second half onslaught; not panicking after they pulled one back; and a counterattack saw a penalty and decisive third for ‘our’ boys. Bar I was in was packed and I got in about 3 on a surreal night akin to watching that game against City in a dodgy bar in Manila...shudder to think the cost of it, as booze tax has made already expensive alcohol prices more so! And the cost of things here - a month before Xmas - is going to be a factor for many; especially as the global economy may well go nipples north between now and then!!

Still, first bit of silverware since Zamoraaaaa!

Msg to SonofNortholt: duly noted Melvyn Aas as im in a one-bedder, we’ll have to top and tail and if your feet stink, then it’s the sofa dear boy!

Asian Cup Final fred- Qatar v Japan on 08:06 - Feb 2 with 2456 viewstraininvain

The FIFA Confederations Cup is an international association football tournament for men's national teams, currently held every four years by FIFA. It is contested by the holders of each of the six (AFC, CAF, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL, OFC and UEFA) continental championships, along with the current FIFA World Cup holder and the host nation, to bring the number of teams up to eight.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Confederations_Cup

Btw I’m not pro Qatar World Cup in any way but just pointing out that the host nation normally competes in the confederations cup.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024