Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bristol City away - extraordinary local insight and pre-match reporting 10:26 - Feb 12 with 3170 viewsKonk

I noted that there wasn't an official match preview as of yet, so seeing as I'm sat in waiting for a mattress to be delivered, I thought I'd put one together for you.

OPPOSITION VIEW:

I live a five minute walk from Ashton Gate. Steve, who lives two doors down from me, is a City season-ticket holder. He was leaving home at the same time as me this morning, so I took the opportunity to gauge his thoughts ahead of tonight's game:

Me: Morning Steve, Fancy your chances tonight?

Steve: Yeah.

So, City fans in confident mood.

I took the picture below at 08:05 as I was returning from dropping my son at Nursery. We can all agree, it sets the scene beautifully, but for some weird reason, I cant get the fu cker to rotate. As you can see, a nice day, if a little fresh. Clarks pies were making a delivery as we passed.

Pubs: Loads of decent spots for a beer/cider on North Street, although I'm not sure how away-friendly most are and other than the Tobacco Factory, I'd probably avoid colours if you want to drink on North Street. If you're a small group, enjoy your beer/cider and old school boozers, then I'd probably go with The Merchants in Hotwells (V small, though), The Nova Scotia at Cumberland Basin (a two minute walk from The Merchants) or The Orchard round the corner from the SS Great Britain - this is a principally a cider house, but does decent ales too. If you like drinking on boats before midweek games, then the Bristol Beer Factory brewery have the Grain Barge, which is a nice spot and about a five minutes walk max from the Merchants. Friendly Records on North Street now have a bar next door, and that's a nice spot for listening to a bit of vinyl with a beer. Can't imagine they operate any sort of home fans only policy. Ditto the Bristol Beer Factory Tap Room on North Street, which is a five minute walk to the ground.

I'd invite you all round mine for a bit of tea, a few beers and some cbeebies before the game, but we're going into town to meet my sister-in-law for dinner. Enjoy the game.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2019 10:27]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Bristol City away - extraordinary local insight and pre-match reporting on 10:30 - Feb 12 with 3140 viewsMick_S

I can see you sneaking in.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Bristol City away - extraordinary local insight and pre-match reporting on 10:38 - Feb 12 with 3107 viewsKonk

I'm gonna open our windows and doors when I get home tonight, and listen out for your fans. If I can't hear anything, I'm gonna tip-toe into my son's room, quietly open the sash window, lean out the window and sing, "Your support is fu cking sh it!" in the direction of AG.

Bristol City away - extraordinary local insight and pre-match reporting on 10:39 - Feb 12 with 3102 viewsMick_S

Get the accent right mate or there could be trouble.

Bristol City away - extraordinary local insight and pre-match reporting on 10:43 - Feb 12 with 3077 viewsDavieQPR

Well if you are not going Clarks might as well cancel that delivery.

Bristol City away - extraordinary local insight and pre-match reporting on 10:45 - Feb 12 with 3066 viewsKonk

A good point that I'd overlooked. I'll have a can of Thatcher's Gold in my hand and shout out "Asdal! Bananal! Arenal!" in case anyone thinks I'm a Rangers fan who's travelled from London to spend the game shouting out of a bedroom window a five minute walk from the ground.

Bristol City away - extraordinary local insight and pre-match reporting on 10:46 - Feb 12 with 3059 viewsKonk

Ooh! You cow!

Bristol City away - extraordinary local insight and pre-match reporting on 16:55 - Feb 12 with 2758 viewsKonk

Just taken my son to get his barnet cut on North Street. Saw some middle-aged blokes crouching down by the wheelie-bin outside the Clove Indian restaurant, which struck me as a bit dodgy. Got into the hairdressers and told the girl what we'd seen. Yeah, she says, it's the Wheelie Bin of Doom. What? I said. Apparently, City's hooligans now use it as their main ambush spot. She reckons she's seen up to six blokes hiding behind it - they wait until away fans walk past and then jump out. If the Old Bill ever twig on, they'll just say they're looking for something.

Just thought I should give any travelling Rangers fans a heads-up: Avoid the Wheelie Bin of doom.

Bristol City away - extraordinary local insight and pre-match reporting on 17:19 - Feb 12 with 2702 viewsMrSheen

How could you forget to ask if The Wurzels are on at half time?

Bristol City away - extraordinary local insight and pre-match reporting on 18:54 - Feb 12 with 2562 viewsKonk

I think a couple of them have banning orders after trouble last season with Wolves. The others are refusing to perform until the bans are lifted.

Just looked out the window and the police chopper is hovering over the Wheelie Bin of Doom. Not sure whether there's been an ambush this evening or whether the Old Bill are clamping down on the Bemmy* Bin Boys and the Wheelie Bin of Doom.

*Bemmy/Bemmie - local name for Bedminster, the heart of City's support.

Bristol City away - extraordinary local insight and pre-match reporting on 11:30 - Feb 13 with 2160 viewsKonk

Sorry about last night, Chaps. Where did you all end up drinking?

Bristol City away - extraordinary local insight and pre-match reporting on 14:35 - Feb 13 with 1987 viewsBoston

Appreciate the heads up mate, but we’re too busy fighting with ourselves at the moment to accommodate Bristol City.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Bristol City away - extraordinary local insight and pre-match reporting on 14:39 - Feb 13 with 1981 viewsMick_S

Didn't the bin outside the Adelaide have a name, and maybe even a mob/admirers? I vaguely remember something about this.

Bristol City away - extraordinary local insight and pre-match reporting on 14:47 - Feb 13 with 1965 viewsBoston

Trash talking again Mick.

Bristol City away - extraordinary local insight and pre-match reporting on 14:56 - Feb 13 with 1948 viewsBoston

S’funny, few fans going to Bristol are aware that there is a local train service within the City of Bristol. Alighting at Temple Meads, they either walk or cab it to Ashton Gate not knowing there is a stop about 7/8 mins away. When I was a teenager there actually was an Ashton Gate station close by, but I’ve since been told it’s closed.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024