Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Karl Lagerfeld - RIP 14:02 - Feb 19 with 7052 viewsKonk

RIP Karl. Massive Fulham fan and could often be seen at places like Chesterfield, Hartlepool and Wrexham when we were struggling in the lower divisions. The first time I chatted to him was in the buffet car on the way back from Walsall. This German bloke asked me if he could look at my programme and it was a few minutes before I was able to put a name to the face. Turns out that as a young boy growing-up in Hamburg, he'd fallen in love with the simple monochromatic elegance of the Fulham kit. He was wearing his distinctive uniform of white shirt, black tie, black jacket, trousers, fingerless gloves and sunglasses, but when I looked closer I saw his shirt was actually a replica of our '75 Cup final shirt. Only he could pull that off.

A standout memory is Hadjuk Split away in 2002 - amongst the various flags tied to the fences was one that simply said 'FULHAM IS FASHION - FASHION IS FULHAM". Classic Karl.

Karl used to drink in the Chancellors before and after games and will be sorely missed by all the regulars. Auf Wiedersehen, mein freund.

[Post edited 19 Feb 2019 14:21]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 14:40 - Feb 19 with 5082 viewsBoston

Turning a simple neck brace into haute couture was inspirational.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 14:41 - Feb 19 with 5077 viewsMrSheen

Complete phoney. Born Charlie Bitterfield in Penge.

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 15:34 - Feb 19 with 4993 viewsBluce_Ree

He looks like a mid-game boss from Metal Gear Solid or something.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 15:38 - Feb 19 with 4978 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Looks like an older jimmy Page

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 19:22 - Feb 19 with 4841 viewsVancouverHoop

Thanks for that. I had no idea, a proper fan indeed.

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 19:47 - Feb 19 with 4811 viewsjohncharles

Karl is dead. Gloves for sale.

Strong and stable my arse.

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 07:41 - Feb 20 with 4662 viewsKonk

Absolutely. He used to stand near us in the Enclosure before the ground went all-seater and he moved across to the Riverside. He'd have his radio glued to one ear, his trademark fan in the other hand - even in the middle of January when you were freezing your nuts off. Someone would say, "Karl, isn't it a bit cold for a fan?" and he'd say, "Darling, we're Fulham; we need all the fans we can get!" and everyone around us would fall about laughing. Good times. Well, they were sh it times mainly, but Karl made it fun. Well, slightly less depressing.

The final time I saw him was Wolves away last season. I bumped into him in the toilets. As he stood there drying his hands under the hand dryer, we had a quick chat about Tom Cairney's hair, Brexit, renationalising the railways, and his upcoming S/S 2018 collection for Chanel, and that was it. Strange to think we'll never see him down at Fulham again.

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 08:13 - Feb 20 with 4629 viewsBlackCrowe

genius Konk.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 08:53 - Feb 20 with 4587 viewsDannyPaddox

About 10 years ago on a sunny April afternoon I saw him sitting outside the Rutland Arms by Hammersmith Bridge showing a young couple his 'Intertoto 2002' tattoo. Good muscle tone for a man his age. A colourful character. Will be missed. RIP.

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 09:08 - Feb 20 with 4568 viewsdistortR

yet, yet, for all his love of Fulham, he never found a way of working red jeans into haute coutre.

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 09:13 - Feb 20 with 4560 viewsMick_S

Check out the label, guy.

With your magnifying glass.

I knew KL would deliver.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 09:16 - Feb 20 with 4553 viewsKonk

That's a beautiful picture, Danny.

He went to every game on that Intertoto run. One of my lot shared a hotel room with him in Athens when we played Egaleo. He said he was an absolute gent. Very clean, slept in pants as a courtesy, no skids in the toilet, pulled his weight with the tea-making etc. No airs and graces and very happy to help my mate when it came to picking out an outfit for the game. He'll certainly be missed.

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 09:18 - Feb 20 with 4546 viewsdistortR

You came up with that image a bit quickly.

peering at the label..................yes.................can make out the chanel branding......................and Mick S in felt tip pen...........
[Post edited 20 Feb 2019 9:18]

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 09:20 - Feb 20 with 4535 viewslondonscottish

Konk, I've always wondered if he took the fingerless gloves off for a piss? Or did he still have them on when he was drying his hands?

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 09:23 - Feb 20 with 4530 viewsdistortR

just looked at the picture properly - a big queenie for sure.

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 09:25 - Feb 20 with 4522 viewsKonk

He was VERY anti red trousers down at Fulham. Militantly so. I remember queueing up behind him on Stevenage Road, waiting to get into the ground and a bloke walks towards us in a pair of red cords. I nudged Karl and rolled my eyes, but Karl pushes the bloke and shouts, "Hey! Mr Red Trousers! Fulham is black and white! Black and white is Fulham! We are not Liverpool!". He was fuming. You didn't see it often, but he definitely had a temper on him when something pi ssed him off.

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 09:29 - Feb 20 with 4517 viewsMick_S

You sound like you were very close, so did you have an affectionate nickname for him, like Karl Lagertop, or something as funny?

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 09:30 - Feb 20 with 4513 viewsKonk

He kept them on. I think that's why he wore fingerless gloves. He even kept them on when he was tucking into his Wotsits Grab bag on the train back from away games. They'd get coated in that orange Wotsit dust, but it didn't seem to bother him.

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 09:36 - Feb 20 with 4498 viewsMick_S

He was devoted to his cat Chapoute - I think that's how you spell it - Konk will know.

Anyway:

As well as having two personal maids to tend to her every beauty need, the precious pussy also owned a iPad, loved to shop and ate her dinner from Goyard china next to Karl.

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 09:36 - Feb 20 with 4495 viewsKonk

I can't say we were especially close, but we certainly got on well when I saw him at the football. He was always just known as 'German Karl' in the Enclosure (cos there was another Karl, but he was 'Putney Karl'), but if we were with him on a train and one of my lot was going to the buffet, we'd always say something like, "Karl, Lager yeah?". Ironically, he would usually go for a Strongbow or a can of Ruddles. This thread's bringing back a lot of happy memories.

EDIT: Thinking about it, back in the early 90's, he was often referred to as 'Bismarck', but not to his face. That was mainly older supporters, though.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2019 9:50]

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 09:47 - Feb 20 with 4471 viewsdistortR

we have 'OrcadianKarlwhousedtobeManxKarl'.
Bit of a mouthful.
Did a bit of a Declan Rice.
Anyway, sorry for interrupting the flow of memories on 'German Karl'.

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 10:01 - Feb 20 with 4436 viewsDannyPaddox

Hopefully the Karl Lagerfeld FFC toiletries range will still see the light of day. Especially the 'Eau de Bobby Zamora!'

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 13:07 - Feb 20 with 4357 viewshopphoops

How's this for nostalgia - Konk and Karl were all for the Europa League group format but Bert wouldn't let the old knockout UEFA Cup go.

[Post edited 20 Feb 2019 13:08]

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 22:31 - Feb 20 with 4199 viewsDannyPaddox

Of course a lot of people thought he was Rangers. Probably because of the bedding stall he ran in the Market.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2019 23:07]

Karl Lagerfeld - RIP on 06:27 - Feb 21 with 4115 viewsJuzzie

I guess one of his legacies was the introduction of the happy-clapper at Craven Cottage.

RIP Karl, proper old school supporter.

[Post edited 21 Feb 2019 6:28]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024