Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EURO vision song contest 21:26 - May 19 with 3288 viewsNoDiddley

Welcome Australia, I know previously that Israel joined the fray, so is it "Any fcuker with a song contest" ?
By the way UK finished last
And a piece of trivia, UK gave ABBA NIl Points when they won in Brighton.

EURO vision song contest on 21:52 - May 19 with 2470 viewsTacticalR

Who is in Europe is a very difficult question.

Air hostess clique

EURO vision song contest on 23:44 - May 19 with 2355 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Things aint what they used to be.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

EURO vision song contest on 00:02 - May 20 with 2353 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I had these guys at 9/1 happy days.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

EURO vision song contest on 09:51 - May 20 with 2195 viewsJAPRANGERS

Did Man City win the Eurovision too??

EURO vision song contest on 09:57 - May 20 with 2184 viewscolinallcars

Back in '74 a girlfriend had this on a 45rpm single. One day I erroneously played it at 33rpm...it sounded awesome.

EURO vision song contest on 10:02 - May 20 with 2167 viewsRs_Holy

No but Duncan Laurence will be signing for them in the summer!

EURO vision song contest on 11:06 - May 20 with 2106 viewsderbyhoop

It would have been so ironic if the UK had won. They would have had to host a competition that brings European countries toegther in friendly rivalry. In a post-Brexit environment!!
Would the contestants have needed visas or settled status?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

EURO vision song contest on 13:00 - May 20 with 2006 viewsManinBlack

Perhaps we finished last because we are leaving the Union so our entry doesn't count in the eyes of the rest.

I wanted North Macedonia to win but instead some bland Dutch song triumphed. I hadn't appreciated that Macedonia had split in a Korean sort of way so where was the South Macedonia entry?

EURO vision song contest on 13:20 - May 20 with 1984 viewsRs_Holy

the UK entry (name escapes me) said he finished last purely down to Brexit.

EURO vision song contest on 13:24 - May 20 with 1979 viewsMaggsinho

There is no South Macedonia. Macedonia renamed itself to North Macedonia to end a dispute with Greece who have their own region called Macedonia.

EURO vision song contest on 13:33 - May 20 with 1963 viewsMick_S

The NM song was rather good indeed.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

EURO vision song contest on 15:11 - May 20 with 1880 viewsToast_R

Well the British lad can take comfort from the fact that he wasn't as bad a Madonna. He should give-up wearing skinny Jeans though, they look stupid on tubbys.

EURO vision song contest on 15:18 - May 20 with 1865 viewsMick_S

They can get right into the groove.

Ouch!

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

EURO vision song contest on 15:49 - May 20 with 1829 viewsCiderwithRsie

My daughter's view is that letting Israel and Australia in is just to p*ss off the yanks. Every year they'll let some other bizarre non-Euro nation in - maybe South Korea or Bourkino Faso next - but never, ever the Americans. And every year the internet will go doolally while everyone in America says WTF?

Letting in Canada will make it really obvious.

EURO vision song contest on 16:08 - May 20 with 1801 viewsQPR_John

"Perhaps we finished last because we are leaving the Union so our entry doesn't count in the eyes of the rest. "

We finished last because we usually do nothing to do with Brexit. Not all countries competing are in the EU some not even in Europe. It's all political nothing to do with music then again apart from ABBA the Eurovision Song Contest has never been about music.
[Post edited 20 May 2019 16:15]

EURO vision song contest on 16:14 - May 20 with 1786 viewsManinBlack

Thanks. I think I would be rather irritated if I lived in South, West or East Macedonia and the whole country is called North Macedonia. It would be like renaming England to South England.

Why couldn't they call it Great Macedonia or Real Macedonia which might reflect the whole nation rather than just part of it?

EURO vision song contest on 16:24 - May 20 with 1764 viewsToast_R

Probably put on the spot, like when you can't agree on a Quiz team name good enough to please all members. Witty, slick or just plane dumb?

I'd imagine after a while they'll think or something better which they'll wish they'd thought of at the time.

EURO vision song contest on 16:25 - May 20 with 1765 viewsLythamR

They tried lots of variations but none were acceptable to the Greek Macadonian, its a pretty complex situation that has been ongoing, this solution of "North Macedonia" is probably the best solution to avoid future conflict

EURO vision song contest on 17:35 - May 20 with 1709 viewsrobith

Funny how the two entries prior to him didn't suffer the same fate.

If it was just because of Brexit, we'd be smashing the jury vote, and losing the televote. He's full of rubbish.

the UK doesn't win because it doesn't take it seriously enough, or learn from everyone else.

In 2011, Blue entered for the UK. They did an enormous tour of Europe, interviews, performances. Came 5th on the televote (sadly the jury savaged the song haha).

Get a decent act, and a Swedish songwriter and off we go

EURO vision song contest on 18:21 - May 20 with 1671 viewscolinallcars

This one was I think the year after Abba won and is tuneful and catchy

EURO vision song contest on 20:57 - May 20 with 1557 viewsBoston

Y'wha? In all the years I've lived in this country I've never met anyone who's even heard of the Eurovision, unless they'd originated from that side of the map. But it's getting harder every day to justify my position of authority on everything when Europeans don't have an elemental grasp of geography.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

EURO vision song contest on 21:10 - May 20 with 1543 viewsJeff

This years UK song was written by the Dutch winner, who discarded it for the song he eventually sung, so we’re halfway there!

Can we not knock it?

EURO vision song contest on 23:25 - May 20 with 1481 viewsCamberleyR

What about those who live in the North, West and East of South Africa then?
[Post edited 20 May 2019 23:26]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

EURO vision song contest on 23:34 - May 20 with 1470 viewsCiderwithRsie

It's a Young Person's Thing.

They're all on the internet so much that for her generation having online "friends" all over the world isn't unusual.

Come Eurovision time apparently they all chat about it while the Americans say "What is this thing?"

PS the "euro" thing isn't geographical ignorance - Eurovision (EBU) has nothing to do with the EU or even Europe these days, its an association of TV companies for swapping programmes, especially news.Started in Europe but grew and Israeli equivalent of the Beeb is in, as are most of North Africa. Oz is an associate member (as are CBS actually) but the Americans, Algerians etc aren't bothered about the singing contest, probably because it's not a big thing in gay culture there, which is what seems to be the main market now.

EURO vision song contest on 23:45 - May 20 with 1450 viewsSydneyRs

Australia was invited as a one off about 5 years ago but have kept returning. Unlike the UK they take it really seriously and send some of their best acts to the comp. We'll never hear the end of ti if they win it one year.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024