Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sunderland 08:42 - May 23 with 587 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Nicked off AVFTT.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7059561/The-real-story-Sunder

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Sunderland on 08:46 - May 23 with 582 viewsspell_chekker

The EFL will be looking into it.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

Sunderland on 09:48 - May 23 with 575 viewsspudgun

Looks like a smart business move whereby Ellis Short is the big loser. It may be only a short term fix but sounds like a result of sorts for Sunderland fans.

I`m far from an expert (and may have missed something blindingly obvious on this) but I don`t easily see the big problem - didn`t the Glaziers operate something not too dissimilar at United.

If the ship has been stabilised and debts wiped and Sunderland is sold to a benign owner, then all (except Short) are relatively happy.

Football is a dirty business and raw capitalism writ large. Fans dream of a benevolent, lifelong fan-owner but are more likely to get a hard-nosed, profit-driven consortium of businessmen- like these two.

It isn`t necessarily right and fair, but neither is life...

Sunderland on 17:58 - May 23 with 564 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

I'm sure the Glaziers did what was called a leveraged buyout, by setting up a company (Red holdings or something similar) and borrowing the money against the assets of Man Utd. I think that type of purchase is no longer allowed by the PL. (That's before you get onto the two cowboys who bought Liverpool).

Sunderland seems to be a straight forward accountancy trick, to show that the parachute payments went into the club accounts. They may have gone into the accounts, but they went straight out again.

The 500k a week quote should worry Sunderland fans, without the PP, how are they financing the club? One guess would be through new debt.

Also what about the EFL's own financial fair play rules? I'd take a bet they have smashed that this season.

If they don't get back in the PL in the next 2 - 3 seasons can see them being the next Bolton.

If that article is correct, then these two paragraphs show how totally useless the EFL are.

It was a deal that apparently made the English Football League nervous until Short made it clear to EFL chief Shaun Harvey and his executives that the alternative would be ruinous for Sunderland. In what has been described a tense exchange, Short is said to have stressed that he was losing so much money – reportedly as much as £500,000 a week – he was ready to simply pull the plug.

Sportsmail understands that Donald only had to demonstrate he could finance the running of the club to meet the EFL criteria for ownership. The EFL knew parachute money formed part of a deal and still allowed the takeover to go ahead. On Wednesday the EFL said they would not comment on specific details.

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Sunderland on 17:13 - May 26 with 540 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Guess they wont be making a quick £30 odd million profit now.

Sunderland on 17:23 - May 26 with 534 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

It will be a long way home on the coaches this evening. Plenty of time for them to ponder their sins of 1974. Payback is such a bitch.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Sunderland on 19:05 - May 26 with 517 viewsspell_chekker

Did't Mickey Walsh and the steward in the white lab coat pay them back in '75?

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.

Sunderland on 10:53 - Jul 8 with 498 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Think they've got big problems down the road....

Sunderland on 12:07 - Jul 8 with 487 viewsLala

Doesn’t surprise me. Unless you’re one of the very top elite clubs this business is a complete money pit.

Finding an owner prepared to subsidise a club millions isn’t always a viable option. Shame really.

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

Sunderland on 12:11 - Jul 8 with 482 viewsspell_chekker

Sunderland have always been an underachieving club for as long as I can remember.

Moreover, they seem to have been very badly managed In the last 20 or so years and hence they've turned into a real car crash as well.

Sunderland on 14:49 - Jul 10 with 450 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Sunderland on 23:00 - Jul 27 with 424 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Speaking exclusively to the Echo, the real estate expert opened up on the four months of talks that saw him come agonisingly close to purchasing the Black Cats from current owner Stewart Donald.

Campbell, who was confirmed to be leading a group set to take over at Scottish side Falkirk on Friday, entered advanced talks with the club’s hierarchy.

And the businessman has now opened up on the talks for the first time - revealing how he came to learn that he could have the opportunity to purchase a ‘massive club’.

“I’ve always wanted to get involved with a football club,” admitted Campbell.

“Football business management is something that I’ve always been passionate about and I was in my office in New York and I received a phone call from someone that I was working with on real estate in the UK.

“He just asked me a question - do you know anyone in the US who might want to buy a football club?

“I said ‘who’s for sale’ and he just listed off club after club - Aston Villa, Charlton, Bolton, Swansea, West Brom, and then he said Sunderland.

“When the name Sunderland Football Club comes out, it’s a massive club with a great support base and great facilities.

“I’d been there a few times to watch a few games and I said ‘are you sure Sunderland are for sale?’.

“I was recovering from surgery and while I was recovering I watched the Netflix documentary, and at the end of the programme it said new owners.

“I’m sat in my office counting with my fingers how many months ago it was when I watched it, and I was sat thinking ‘why are they looking to sell?’.

“So I said to him ‘if they’re looking to sell, I would be interested in that’.

“That was on the Thursday, and by Monday morning I was sitting down in Oxford with the owners.”

Those preliminary discussions were held with Neil Fox - described as Donald’s ‘right-hand man’ in the past - and quickly advanced.

Indeed, the club’s current owners made a quick impression on Campbell, who was keen to ensure Donald remained part of the club.

“They [the owners] were very positive from the very early days,” he said.

“The first discussions I had were with Neil Fox, who was absolutely brilliant.

“He was a really nice guy, really open and explained to me what the situation was with the club and what they wanted to do.

“Stewart Donald was going to stay as a shareholder as part of our deal.

“I wanted Stewart to stay. I’ve got a great relationship with Stewart and we get on really, really well.

“I wanted him to stay and I had to fight for that, but that was agreed.”

But what of the deal mentioned by Campbell?

There were conflicting claims as to whether the offer was for investment or a full-scale buyout, but Campbell insists the former was not an option.

“It was for a full takeover,” he claimed.

“There was a lot of talk about investment. It was not investment, it was a takeover.

“We would have become the majority shareholders of the club.”

Talks progressed at a rapid rate.

By the time Sunderland had lost the Checkatrade Trophy final in March, heads of terms had been drawn up.

Then began a period of due diligence, which saw Campbell’s group allowed access to the club’s intimate financial details while waiting on a key answer.

He said: “The question [we had] was ‘why are you looking to sell?’. We never got a definitive answer until further on down the line.

“We got given a set of accounts by the club and with those accounts we went away, gave them to our law firm and accountants and said ‘this is what we’ve got so far, we need to get to due diligence’.

“Within about four weeks we had heads of terms drawn up and we were coming towards the end of March.

“That’s when you start the financial due diligence, we had access to the data room and were able to start looking into the club’s accounts and the running of the club.”

But despite talks reaching such an advanced stage, a deal could not be struck.

And Campbell has now revealed what caused his party to take a step back from the deal as it looked to edge over the line.

“We had the club valued and our price that we agreed to buy the club at the very start, when we first made the bid, dramatically changed as time went on,” he explained

“There were certain components of the deal at the end that weren’t going to work for the club.

“It was irrelevant what we were going to do.

“I went to this club in March and basically moved to the city. I was there three or four times a week to try and get this done.

“You’ve got two people in the consortium who are massive Sunderland fans, we had a robust business plan that the likes of serious people in football were blown away by because they had never seen anything like it.

“Anyone can own a football club, but if you don’t run it right you’re going to go bust.

“For us, it came to a point at the end where we had to make a decision.

“We’ve had a number of other clubs approach us since we’ve lost this in the last ten days, which is when we said ‘we can’t do this, if we do this we’re going to bankrupt the club.’

“I was putting in in excess of around £20million of my own money and there were other people looking to join our bid.

“But you get to a point where you have to take a step back.”

So is a deal completely off the table?

‘“Look, if I got a phone call tomorrow that said ‘do you want to go back again?’...

“You can never say never, because you don’t know what’s around the corner.

“I was going to move from my apartment in New York to Sunderland, people thought we were mad.

“You can never say never though. I love the place, the people and I think the city is an unbelievable place.”

Sunderland, meanwhile, are continuing talks with potential investors in the background - but executive director Charlie Methven stressed earlier this month that investment is only for the longer-term.

“At this stage there are no changes to the board,” he said.

“We’ve been open that we’re looking for investment but, for now and because of the time of year, we’ve decided to get on with the job in hand and keep talking to interested people in the background.

“We're approaching the stage where there are things that, for the club to grow longer term, will need to be invested in, so we need a good base of available capital to ensure the club can invest appropriately.”

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/latest-sunderland-a

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024