Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
house of lords 10:24 - May 31 with 1966 viewsbob566

what do they do exactly? Why do you have to pay somes guys flights to attend. Cant he drive to work or get a train. Also in this day and age can't they conference call in rather than fly there?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/30/labour-peer-never-spoke-house-o

house of lords on 12:52 - May 31 with 1903 viewsTonto

it is the one and only thing I agree with Nigel Farage on: our political system needs significant reform.

I get that stuff done in the House of Commons needs to be scrutinised an checked to avoid bringing in unlawful or unconstitutional stuff, I also accept that the removal of hereditary peerages has heled, but I don't like that the HofL is unelected and/or unreflective of the country as a whole.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

house of lords on 13:01 - May 31 with 1889 viewsrobith

I kinda like the theory of there being body of "experts" to overview laws outside of political bias, to avoid the issue of gridlock an elected second chamber can have.

But as it all ends up politically biased anyway, I'd like an elected bicameral system to provide oversight

house of lords on 13:14 - May 31 with 1864 viewsDorse

I think it needs to be representative of society at large. So, along with the experts and experienced decision-makers we should also have a proportion of t wats, wnkers, bell-ends and scrotes to give voice to the full gamut of UK opinion.

I would set up the House as:
10% Highly educated but out of touch arseholes
10% Highly educated but still pretty grounded types
10% Ex-business types who bang on about spreadsheets, flow charts and communicate exclusively in management bullsht.
10% Gimps
10% Man in the pub types who spout 'facts' such as everyone's nipples are 9" apart. Go on, measure it. No? Don't have to mate, they all are.
10% People who are going to have to collect the kids in a minute.
10% Rugby Union fans who live vicariously through their children's achievements. Hugo has made the First XI this year and he is sooooo popular.
10% Cap-doffing arseholes
10% Burberry-capped scratters who unaccountably refer to everyone as 'blud'
10% Anyone who can be found in Wetherspoons at 8.30AM rattling for a pint of cut-price Stella.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

house of lords on 14:17 - May 31 with 1819 viewsDavieQPR

It's just a club for the boys in return for old political favours and retired Civil Servants. Just a big, fat second pension.

house of lords on 14:24 - May 31 with 1806 viewsisawqpratwcity

Er, First XV?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

house of lords on 14:35 - May 31 with 1775 viewsisawqpratwcity

Don't know why you'd feel comfortable with two out of three parts of your national government being unelected.

We had an elected government dismissed illegally by the unelected Queen's representative in 1975 and we still don't know what Her Maj's deliberations were on the subject at the time.

house of lords on 14:36 - May 31 with 1773 viewsTonto

which are you then Dorse?

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

house of lords on 21:55 - May 31 with 1658 viewsDorse

Without any doubt, the last one.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

house of lords on 23:46 - May 31 with 1595 viewsNortholt_Rs

I’m the penultimate one, blud....

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

house of lords on 07:13 - Jun 1 with 1514 viewsdistortR

being Australian, could the decision have been eugenically based?

Actually, when I lived in Oz and found out about this, I was shocked. But then you had the Rudd stuff go on (And I'm not a fan, but thought all that was really dodgy) and I wondered if it's just what you lot do over there?

Were the mining corps involved?

We have a lieutenant-governor over here, he lets our hugely inept and corrupt leaders crawl on, what do we pay him for?

We also have an upper-chamber, mostly seen as a sinecure for aging politicians and civil servants. The bishop also has a seat. Democracy in action!!

house of lords on 08:37 - Jun 1 with 1483 viewsGroveR

"About 100 peers are former senior members of the judiciary, Church of England bishops, or aristocrats who inherited their seats."

Paedophiles then.

house of lords on 17:42 - Jun 1 with 1404 viewsisawqpratwcity

I never knew you lived in Oz. Why on earth would you want to go back to the UK?

Apart from being the bloke who trounced John Howard, I couldn't understand why Rudd was so popular. He did some very good things, but nothing that wasn't pretty standard Labour policy or generally supported by caucus. That it gradually emerged that he was a narcissist control freak to the point of sociopathy did tend to erode my respect for him a bit, but that didn't seem to be the opinion of the electorate as a whole.

Fwiw, the other side of politics found the prospect of such instability irresistible and also managed to have three Prime Ministers within six years, both changes of elected leaders occurring at the behest of just the parliamentary MPs.

As you'd know, most Australian states have a democratically-voted Upper House based on proportional representative voting, so I share your aversion to appointed or hereditary representation. Queensland (and New Zealand) are unicameral exceptions. But the Australia system is corrupted by having a Head of State who would not even be Constitutionally allowed to stand for parliament because of their foreign citizenship. Ridiculous!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024