Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gaffer on tonight's defeat 23:11 - Nov 22 with 2652 viewsbosh67

https://www.qpr.co.uk/videos/interviews/warburton-reacts-to-fulham-defeat/

The frustration for me is that it is clear that he sees the problem but there seems to also be a bit of denial creeping in that we need to have a drastic rethink about how to defend when playing this system.

You can't say we don't block crosses, we don't pick people up without somehow thinking perhaps it's something to do with the way we are defending. For me it feels zonal all over the park. Zonal rarely works. Especially if you can't do that either.

However, if MW and staff can solve it then we start to win games again.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 23:54 - Nov 22 with 2544 viewsBklynRanger

That's the most wound up he's been since he arrived by far - can see he's seriously pissed off.

I've no idea about the rest of it to be honest Bosh, but I do with him agree that different kinds of individual errors have different consequences. Not blocking crosses is something that cost us in more than one game recently; Chair should have shot instead of pulling it back into a culdesac. We may well be trying to play in a way that is just collectively beyond us in terms of keeping a clean sheet.

I don't know honestly but Iike the intensity from Warbs there at least.

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 02:10 - Nov 23 with 2376 viewsstainrods_elbow

I suppose that's one way of putting a positive spin on it, but I'm more wound-up myself than consoled by MW's agitation. To me, there was a tone of defiance/denial in his interview, which worries me. 'Defending as a team' is becoming a bit of a broken record now. We didn't lose those latest two goals tonight for a lack of teamwork - it was a complete dereliction of duty/proper marking by Hall and Leistner, not for the first time, and another unpressured suicidal error by Lumley, who could have done anything else with his clearance, but instead elected to pass directly to their player so accurately it almost looked like he'd been paid to! For me, this was the most maddening outcome of the whole season so far, against a Fulham team we could and should have beaten comfortably.

Talking about the game with the Irish Rs here in Dublin after, the consensus was we need a new keeper, a proper CB and a Derry-like midfield anchor to stop teams counter-attacking us like a knife through butter, i.e. a new half-spine, as I was arguing some time back to the derision of some - even if it means selling a player like Manning. Now I'm even more sure I'm/we're right. The January window is going to be crucial.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 10:48 - Nov 23 with 2171 viewsLblock

So..... Plan A better then.

I was minded last night to a game up at Barnsley when we won the title.
Started like a steam train that night and Adel scored after a couple of minutes.
We then turned out 85 minutes of pragmatism and walked off with 3 points and another step towards Warnock being king.

I’m not saying we should be competing at the top end, I’m not saying I’d be happy to turn out drudge performances away from home; but I’m all for a bit of balance and mixing up tactics. Once Foolham went ahead they squeezed the life out of us, Warbs can try to convince us different but they did. We lack nouse, pace and energy but most concerning will be confidence waning thin.

I hope Warbs is a happier man Wednesday evening after we play the Dukes of Nottingham and their 10,000 men

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 10:56 - Nov 23 with 2156 viewsRangersDave

The thing that stood our for me last night was the way that they (flegm) threw themselves into the way of almost every attach by Rangers in their defending.

Not sure if the stats, but it looked like they blocked everything (apart from our goal) obviously.
Thats what a defence should be like IMHO.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 11:06 - Nov 23 with 2127 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Excellent interview. Good questions and honest answers.

Find it hard to disagree with any of that.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 11:09 - Nov 23 with 2125 viewsrsonist

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/queens-park-rangers/

Love Caroline Barker asking proper questions properly.

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 11:15 - Nov 23 with 2103 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Another good interview.

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 11:22 - Nov 23 with 2089 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Excellent interview - only one question from it - Warburton said our budget was in the bottom six in the division - is this true?
I thought our budget has been higher than most sides?

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 11:24 - Nov 23 with 2076 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Well, he said he thought it was but didn't seem sure.

I was surprised myself. I would've thought we were low but maybe not that low...?

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 12:00 - Nov 23 with 2039 viewsfrancisbowles

If our budget is that low, how are we affording Wells and Hugill as well as Amos, Smith and Mlaker?

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 12:03 - Nov 23 with 2036 viewspaulparker

Also didn’t we have about 3 million to spend on that Aberdeen defender ?
If that’s knocking about can we get a goalkeeper who can kick a ball ?

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 12:16 - Nov 23 with 2000 viewsfrancisbowles

I'm just getting a bit worried about this stubborn streak to keep saying we defend as a team and we need to take our 'rewards'.

I don't expect him to call people out but surely we do need to adjust and compromise a bit?

To be fair, I thought we didn't play out from the back as much as we have done and mixed it up a bit more, which is easier when you have Hugill as a target. I also thought that Amos and Ball did well but every time we concede possession, we are exposed defensively as for the first goal last night. Manning gets out tackled (which can happen to anyone), Kane is pushed high on the right, Hall is sucked over to the right and when Wallace and Leistner move to the left to try and cover the danger, Hall is either too far out of position or doesn't react quickly enough and (the invisible elastic band snaps) a huge gap appears between him and Leistner.

I'm no tactical expert but if the ball is on the left, can't we get the right back to stay a little further back so the cbs can keep that invisible piece of elastic intact. I'm not saying we abandon our attacking style but just be a little less cavalier, at least until we get used to it and build up a bit of confidence in our ability to defend. More a case of Kane (or Manning) following the play when it is on the other side rather than being ahead of it.

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 12:26 - Nov 23 with 1984 viewsbosh67

Their parent clubs are paying a substantial part of their wages still.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 14:08 - Nov 23 with 1880 viewsMatch82

I don't personally think Lumley has made the most of the chances he's been given, but I'd rather see what Kelly (for more than 3 games) Dieng and Barnes have before splashing money on a 5th goalkeeper

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 17:20 - Nov 23 with 1762 viewsfrancisbowles

They must be but makes it slightly surprising that we weren't outbid for them.

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 17:34 - Nov 23 with 1737 viewsRangersw12

People are focusing on the defending but how many chances did we squander in the first 20 mins to put the game to bed

We had Fulham on the ropes and didn't throw the knock out punch

We need to stick with this philosophy as I'm really enjoying this season . We've been rubbish for years finishing 16th might aswell finish 16th playing with a style

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 17:44 - Nov 23 with 1727 viewsNorthernr

She's very good, politely called Nathan Jones on his bullsht before he got the sack at Stoke in a very good interview I saw. Shreeves should be locked in a room and forced to watch her showreel.

I came out of last night very frustrated. Great chance to get a result, they weren't all that, we gifted them two goals in a manner we've gifted lots of other goals this season which suggests we're not learning, and I go think we're very bad at recognising when we're in a tough part of the game and a pragmatic ten minutes is required to regain a foothold before we start all the fancy out from the back stuff again.

But I don't think our problems are to do with Warburton and his style and this "defend as a team" thing. I just think the players we have at the back and in goal aren't good enough for the level at the moment. We're a goalkeeper and a centre back away from being a good side IMO.

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 18:10 - Nov 23 with 1689 viewsDejR_vu

I’m not even sure CB is a massive problem. They’re not the best but I don’t think they’re that bad.

I think the keeper situation has a bigger impact than just the keeper. I agree with MW in that keepers’ mistakes get highlighted and magnified but that’s the same for every keeper at every club but other keepers at other clubs don’t have the problems we do. Our just aren’t good enough.

With Smithies I always thought whenever he was called upon there was a good chance he’d pull off a save, one on ones, penalties, whatever. With Lumley, in particular, there’s never any doubt in my mind he’s going to concede.

Get a decent keeper in who’s capable of making a few saves and the defence doesn't look half as bad all of a sudden.

I’d crawl over broken glass to get Smithies back, but we haven’t got any money. But there must be a decent keeper out there somewhere who’s maybe only got two or three years left and just wants to play.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 18:44 - Nov 23 with 1621 viewsThe_Seer

I very much doubt we will be spending £3m on a player. We'll have to sell our best players before spending that type of money. Fernandes chairmanship left us with a huge debt.

It might just be a case of some of our players just aren't good enough. Our central midfield and defence are weak. They dont look comfortable playing the system that Warburton wants. You have to be technically good on the ball, make the right decision and be strong mentally as well as physically to play that system well.

Lumley is also not comfortable with Warburton's instruction to play from the back. I think that he has finally blown it with Warburton.

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 18:58 - Nov 23 with 1604 viewsBrianMcCarthy

"But I don't think our problems are to do with Warburton and his style and this "defend as a team" thing. I just think the players we have at the back and in goal aren't good enough for the level at the moment. We're a goalkeeper and a centre back away from being a good side IMO."

I agree with your whole post but your last paragraph is what I've been thinking about off and on all day, and I think you have it nailed, nearly (and I'll come back to that) - one centre-back seems to be within our budget thanks to the astute dealings of Hoos and Ferdinand (McKenna) and I really liked your idea about Smithies on loan, for instance.

But (getting back to my earlier 'nearly') we return then to the favourite topic of the last month - that our midfield lacks control and is regularly excellent going forward but offers little protection to the Alamo at the back.

I am, I freely admit, an advocaat (I know, sorry) of Dutch football and its legacy through to the modern age. It's often seen as soft, weak and dreamy. But it's based in the harsh reality that whoever controls midfield controls and dictates a large portion of the game. This basic truism also applies to Gaelic Games for instance. And it applies to us.

Every match thread of the last 4-6 weeks has had a huge consensus that no matter how many we bodies we put in there we are invariably swamped. We desperately need a centre-mid who can take, turn, see, pass. But of course these players go for millions.

The Sawyers answer to the question at the forum makes me believe in Warburton even more. He's seen it.

Yes, as you say, we need a goalie and a centre-half. But, $hit, do we need control in midfield.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2019 19:02]

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 15:54 - Nov 24 with 1358 viewsPinnerPaul

I guess he wasn't sure because he didn't know - hard to accept he knows the wage bill of all the other 23 clubs!

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 16:33 - Nov 24 with 1341 viewsbarbicanranger

There's a lot to chew on here and I agree with most the comments above.

I don't think we defended as a team but I also felt on this occasion the goals came from poor individual errors. There have been games this season where I believe I have seen what Warbs means by defend as a team - it's a bit like the way L'pool play albeit at a lower quality - we squeeze teams in right from the top until they can't get out and we do it right across the park.

Also, as a few mentioned above we don't seem to be learning; Friday night was not that dissimilar to Luton at home for me. We came out hot and could have had the game sewn up but then proceed to gift goals away. I think a lot comes down to Northern's point about our goalie and defense; I'm not sure we have the personnel to do it. And if you look at both Luton (h) and Fulham (a) the goalie clearance set the change of tide - to gift goals away that softly even if you are passing out from the back is going to land you in trouble. It's a simple tactically decision made in a split second - no pass on then go long.

All that said, I am still feeling very positive about the way we are playing and what the club is trying to do. I hope this is the start of following this philosophy and style of playing for a long time to come and it being our identity (even if it doesn't work out in the short term or there are teething problems). Yes, I think it needs some tweaks both in game management (there's nothing wrong with 10 minutes of boredom to stifle a game) and personnel but everything considered I think we are on the right path.

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 16:37 - Nov 24 with 1332 viewsBrianMcCarthy

True!

Gaffer on tonight's defeat on 03:53 - Nov 25 with 1166 viewsjoolsyp

Good post Brian. Thing is we *should* be able to find a central midfield combination that gives us that control. We have:

- Scowen
- Amos
- little Matt Smith
- Cameron
- Ball
- Charlie (forgotten his second name) - injured?
- Hall (as an option)

Amos showed signs on Friday that he is returning to full fitness. Ball I like but he’s limited - he does the simple things well but he will struggle against sides that pass the ball quickly in midfield and run directly at the defence. Cameron when fully fit plays the enforcer role well ... but he can’t seem to get fully fit this season.

If MW talks about someone like Sawyers then perhaps he does realise that we need something a little different in central midfield. I watched a bit of Sheffield Utd v Man Utd today and they have John Fleck ... signed from Coventry City (not sure for how much) and was outstanding - breaks up play, always available for a pass and can link defence and attack well. Perhaps there is someone of his ilk knocking around in Scotland or the lower leagues who might be worth a look in Jan?

I still think we need someone strong but, importantly, who has pace at the back. We seem criminally slow at the back and combine that with poor positioning and many teams who attack with pace must be licking their lips. I think Barbet will help when he is back.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024