Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Madness in methods of Mark Warburton’s QPR entertainers 12:36 - Jan 20 with 4583 viewsBushman

From today's Times......for your delectation......

The Journeyman
Gregor Robertson

Are Queens Park Rangers, in the wacky world of the Sky Bet Championship, the most madcap of the lot? Granted, it is a crowded field. Leeds United are gripped by a seemingly interminable neurosis. Derby County’s various off-field transgressions will surely be chronicled one day, perhaps even used to make a feature film. A handful of teams are about to feel the wrath of the EFL for circumnavigating profit and sustainability regulations. The Championship could soon be an indecipherable sea of asterisks. But on the football pitch? Well, this season QPR may just be the most crazy of them all.

The west London club, after Saturday’s hectic 1-0 home win against Leeds, reside in an underwhelming 14th place. Yet they have somehow managed to score 46 goals, more than every team other than West Bromwich Albion, who are top, while at the same time conceding 51 goals, a figure exceeded only by Luton Town, who are bottom. They are the entertainers and the infuriaters. Even in a division as capricious as the Championship, no team segues from the sublime to the ridiculous with quite such frequency.

This year began with the 6-1 shellacking of Cardiff City at Loftus Road on New Year’s Day. Four days later, the assault on Wales was completed with a 5-1 defenestration of Swansea City in the FA Cup. Last weekend, however, QPR were 3-0 down after little more than half an hour in a 3-1 defeat against local rivals Brentford. Then Saturday yielded only a third clean sheet of the season against second-placed Leeds, no less.

You see an average of 2.67 goals a game in the Championship; in QPR games, that figure is a league-highest 3.46. There have been four or more goals scored in 46 per cent of their games, including the 4-0 thumping by Nottingham Forest at Loftus Road in November and the 5-3 defeat by then rock-bottom Barnsley at Oakwell last month. In a 3-0 defeat at Cardiff City in October, QPR had 72 per cent possession and took more shots than in the 6-1 win in the reverse fixture on New Year’s Day.

So, what is behind these wild oscillations? And, is there any method to the madness?

Mark Warburton, who replaced Steve McClaren as manager in May, is the kind of coach who, rather than reverting to a Plan B, simply talks about performing Plan A better. The former City trader, who previously led Brentford from League One to the Championship, shipped out 17 players in the summer and signed 15, all on free transfers or on loan. Having previously fallen foul of EFL financial fair play rules, QPR have not paid a seven-figure fee since January 2017.

While the madness ensues, Les Ferdinand, the director of football, and Lee Hoos, the chief executive, have stuck to their guns, reducing the wage bill, identifying and developing young players. That is the plan but this is the result. It can be thrilling to watch and a triumvirate of young attacking midfielders represent the best of what QPR are trying to do.
Warburton sends Marc Pugh into the fray against Leeds
Warburton sends Marc Pugh into the fray against Leeds
Rex Features

Eberechi Eze, 21, was released by Millwall in 2016 before a successful trial shelved plans of enrolling at college and a part-time job at Tesco. Ilias Chair, 22, joined the development squad from Lierse SK, the Belgian second-tier club, after a trial later that year. Bright Osayi-Samuel, also 22, joined from Blackpool for an undisclosed fee in September 2017. Eze is a joy to watch, roaming from the left into pockets of space, gliding past defenders with ease and unerring poise. Just how much longer Loftus Road will get to enjoy his virtuoso talent is unclear. Spurs are among a number of Premier League clubs casting glances Eze’s way.

Just imagine if QPR could defend. As it is, 51 goals conceded prompted a series of mischievous adverts in the latest issue of A Kick up the R’s, with the fanzine touting the QPR defence as a the “World’s Greatest Charity”, a “cure for constipation”, and “Comedy of the Year”. No team have conceded more goals from big errors (10), or from set pieces (20), including six penalties. In mitigation, the experienced Yoann Barbet, Toni Leistner and Àngel Rangel, have all been struck down by injury.

“It feels like we’ve been punished every time we make a mistake,” Warburton said, although, given Leeds’s profligacy, perhaps QPR’s luck is changing.

Just seven points shy of the play-offs, could they make a late run? Truth is, your guess is as good as mine.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2020 12:37]

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

Madness in methods of Mark Warburton’s QPR entertainers on 12:48 - Jan 20 with 4468 viewsCiderwithRsie

3.46 goals per game, eh?

Right, I'm getting my prediction for Friday in early, I'm hoping for QPR 3 Sheff Weds 0.46.

Madness in methods of Mark Warburton’s QPR entertainers on 12:57 - Jan 20 with 4387 viewsCroydonCaptJack

That's ridiculous

Surely you mean a 1.73 all draw then penalties?

Madness in methods of Mark Warburton’s QPR entertainers on 13:01 - Jan 20 with 4370 viewswestberksr

0-0 for sure, then all pens missed, we lose when they run out of players to take them & MW loses at rock, paper, scissors to their manager

Madness in methods of Mark Warburton’s QPR entertainers on 13:24 - Jan 20 with 4259 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Madness maybe, but the most enjoyable football for years.

Shades of Gigi De Canio,with just a slight bit more attention to defence, no matter the naysayers.

Madness in methods of Mark Warburton’s QPR entertainers on 14:28 - Jan 20 with 4111 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Given how different us fans can be to each other, given how we manage to see things completely differently... is there anyone NOT enjoying this season? There must be some out there.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Madness in methods of Mark Warburton’s QPR entertainers on 14:38 - Jan 20 with 4076 viewsBlackCrowe

not me guv. Really enjoying it.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Madness in methods of Mark Warburton’s QPR entertainers on 14:42 - Jan 20 with 4052 viewsstevec

Must admit, I've come out of LR mad as hell on occasions but every game has been hugely entertaining.

Sat through many a Jimmy Floyd home game contemplating taking a running jump out the back of the stand.

Madness in methods of Mark Warburton’s QPR entertainers on 15:24 - Jan 20 with 3913 viewsjoe90

Great article from the Times.

I know what you're saying, it's been very frustrating at times this season, but it's also been amazing. One of the best seasons in ages. Feels like we're slowly moving in the right direction.

JFH era was a particular low point.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2020 15:24]

Madness in methods of Mark Warburton’s QPR entertainers on 15:32 - Jan 20 with 3875 viewsbosh67

There were periods during JFH's reign that I doubted the reality of life. Some of Hughes's reign did the same but he won some games before it went pair shaped.

Warburton is like Keegan with a degree and some idea that the defence needs improving. Roy Of The Rovers stuff most weeks with varying outcomes. Highly entertaining stuff. Some weeks I am reminded of Gordon Jago's team and others are ... well, less so.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Madness in methods of Mark Warburton’s QPR entertainers on 15:34 - Jan 20 with 3863 viewsenfieldargh

I'm luvin it. I'm not going to build up my hopes and try to stop day dreaming of how we're going to win the next 10 games

We still have some new recruits to show what they can do.

Kane is a bit wobbly but he looks like Lee Dixon some I'm clinging to that.

How many members of the press have actually heard of AKUTR's let alone read a copy? (Clive not included)

MW at all keep saying the same mantra ...patience and develop the clubs style of play

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Madness in methods of Mark Warburton’s QPR entertainers on 15:35 - Jan 20 with 3861 viewsNed_Kennedys

"JFH era was a particular low point"

As was the second half of last season under McClaren: a number of truly dire performances.
Warburton has done really well considering where we were not that long ago.

Madness in methods of Mark Warburton’s QPR entertainers on 15:36 - Jan 20 with 3856 viewsnix

I agree about JFH. He incidentally looked like he'd been sucking a lemon at full time as pundit in the Leeds game. Worse than us winning, we actually showed some style and swagger, unlike during his time in charge.

Madness in methods of Mark Warburton’s QPR entertainers on 16:03 - Jan 20 with 3745 viewsNoelmc

Definitely the most enjoyable season since the Warnock promotion one. I find myself really looking forward to attending matches. I’ve even enjoyed a couple where we’ve dropped points.

Madness in methods of Mark Warburton’s QPR entertainers on 19:11 - Jan 20 with 3432 viewssilky

I'd take 14th position wining 6-1, loosing 5-3 and drawing 3-3 than 1-0 0-1 0-0.

Marks been a breath of fresh air! I sincerely hope he's given the time he richly deserves to make a great team.

Poll: Do you think this current QPR team has got what is takes to go up this year?

Madness in methods of Mark Warburton’s QPR entertainers on 19:16 - Jan 20 with 3424 viewsGroveR

"No team have conceded more goals from big errors (10), or from set pieces (20), including six penalties."

What's the difference between a big error and one that costs you a goal? Is this a new metric non-football people don't understand like xG (expected goals) and upFUx (unpunished fùckups)?

Madness in methods of Mark Warburton’s QPR entertainers on 19:49 - Jan 20 with 3342 viewsMatch82

I'm struggling to think of a season I've enjoyed more than this one. The promotion season with Adel was obviously fantastic but we always had the spectre of the points deduction hanging over us and the pressure of knowing we had to win every game to stay at the top.

This year it's just fun for the sake of being fun. We aren't going up, we aren't going down, we are playing an entertaining style with a ton of homegrown (ish) youngsters, all of which we are doing while improving our long term outlook for the future of the club off the pitch.

Love it.

Madness in methods of Mark Warburton’s QPR entertainers on 21:56 - Jan 20 with 3144 viewsDorse

Enjoying this season so much more than last. Actually, more than quite a lot of other seasons. I think we'll look back at this one as a bit of a cult classic (like the one where Ollie kicked off the campaign with only 11 players).

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Madness in methods of Mark Warburton’s QPR entertainers on 06:49 - Jan 21 with 2844 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Good comparison, Dorse.

I’m looking forward to games so much this season that I’m building my week around them if at all possible. Will miss part of Friday’s game and feeling a bit sorry for myself!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Madness in methods of Mark Warburton’s QPR entertainers on 10:22 - Jan 21 with 2664 viewsBrisbaneR

Are you not entertained?

Are you NOT ENTERTAINED??

Could MW be a Spaniard....?

Madness in methods of Mark Warburton’s QPR entertainers on 10:48 - Jan 21 with 2594 viewsloftus77

Take your point — it is fun — and very ‘un-QPR like’ compared to recent years. But I think the comparison with 2001/02 Is not there.

For a start, in 2001 we were in administration, in the third tier for the first time in 34 years and had just plunged into the abysss of a second relegation in 5 years. The club really was on its knees with so guarantees about its future.

Now , yes, FFP and the huge fine is all around us but we do have identifiable owners who continue to finance the club and with Sir Les and Lee there is clearly an emerging structure that’s starting to pay real dividends. I know there are ongoing issues with Warren Farm/LCS but a new training ground/stadium in 2001 was just not on the agenda. A club at all was the aim, which is why Ollie will always be a legend.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2020 10:49]

Madness in methods of Mark Warburton’s QPR entertainers on 14:42 - Jan 21 with 2452 viewsTacticalR

Interesting that the whole article is actually about football rather than the madness of the club.

Air hostess clique

Madness in methods of Mark Warburton’s QPR entertainers on 18:06 - Jan 21 with 2313 viewsDylanP

Great article. Thanks for posting.

It certainly is a madcap season and as enjoyable as it is frustrating. Not quite my favourite season of all time but certainly my favourite group of players of the last couple of decades. The Taarabt promotion season was my favourite single season since the 1990s. But there is literally nothing more rewarding in football than watching essentially homegrown talent emerge and be successful. One by one youngsters come in and out of the club and look better each time they play. Its brilliant. Its like watching the 1982 side all over again. Clive Allen and Paul Goddard emerged out of the youth set-up like maniacs and its the same thing with Eze, BOS, Chair, and so on. It feels like we have a future, a direction, and a real identity again!

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Madness in methods of Mark Warburton’s QPR entertainers on 23:21 - Jan 21 with 2089 viewsLazyFan

Paul Hart was the worst.
Putting 3 left-backs on the pitch just to preserve a 2-0 lead in a game we controlled anyway so, he could claim his first win.

Useless.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzz

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024