Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Manager 11:39 - Feb 17 with 868 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

New Manager on 11:43 - Feb 17 with 567 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Blackpool WON'T consider Barrow boss Ian Evatt for managerial vacancy, while ex-Luton boss Nathan Jones has doubts

Barrow boss Ian Evatt won't be considered for Blackpool's vacant managerial post, The Gazette understands.

It's understood Evatt was told at the back end of last week that he's not in the frame due to his lack of experience.

The Blackpool legend, who made over 200 appearances for the club as a player, would be interested in talking to the club.

But it's believed the hierarchy at Bloomfield Road are not holding a traditional interview process.

Evatt's Barrow side are currently top of the National League table, four points ahead of second placed Harrogate Town with a game in hand.

In his second season in charge at Holker Street, Evatt has Barrow on course for a first return to the Football League in half a century.

Nathan Jones remains the bookies' favourite to take the Blackpool job, which was vacated last week when Simon Grayson was sacked after just seven months in charge.

It was reported last week that Jones was Blackpool's first-choice for the role, but it's understood the Welshman has doubts.

The former Luton Town man is reluctant to relocate to the Fylde coast and is still receiving a payoff from his last job at Stoke City, where he was given the boot in November of last year.

Paul Heckingbottom, who worked with chief executive Ben Mansford at both Barnsley and Leeds United, is currently the bookes' second favourite to take the job.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/blackpool-wont-co

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

New Manager on 11:49 - Feb 17 with 564 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

For what it's worth, latest odds

https://m.skybet.com/football/manager-specials/event/25351437

New Manager on 11:53 - Feb 17 with 563 viewsspell_chekker

As far as we know, if you take Jones and Evatt out of the equation it doesn't leave all that many people in contention.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

New Manager on 17:28 - Feb 17 with 544 viewsspell_chekker

I'm not filled with confidence with all this. Neither the candidates or the recruitment process.

Unless a rabbit's going to be pulled out of the hat we're left with a choice of either Heckingbottom or Wellens. That Spanish guy from Goa being a dark horse.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.

New Manager on 19:50 - Feb 17 with 533 viewsjanegallagher

I’m glad the board are not letting their hearts rule their heads. Evatt not got enough experience, especially at this level.

We’ve got Simon Sadler

New Manager on 20:50 - Feb 17 with 519 viewsspell_chekker

Yes, the board are discreet and have, to a large extent, plugged leaks out of the club.

They'll be talking to available managers. It's anybody's guess who.

All sorts of names have probably sent their CVs in.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/trainer/verfuegbaretrainer/statistik

New Manager on 21:17 - Feb 17 with 508 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Not bothered how long it takes as long as they get the right person.

New Manager on 21:19 - Feb 17 with 506 viewsjanegallagher

Me too red

We’ve got Simon Sadler

New Manager on 19:30 - Feb 19 with 475 viewsspell_chekker

Out of nowhere, Brian Barry Murphy (current Rochdale manager) has shot to the top of the list and is now the odds on favourite.

https://www.thesackrace.com/teams/blackpool

New Manager on 19:51 - Feb 19 with 474 viewsspell_chekker

Barry Murphy was Rochdale's player coach from 2013 onwards.

He hung up his boots at the end of the 2017-18 season.

Became Rochdale's manager about a year ago after Keith Hill's sacking.

He's credited with having a purist football philosophy and promoting academy talent.

Since becoming Rochdale's manager his record is Played 54, won 20, Drawn 13, lost 21.

Guardian article from January:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/03/stylish-rochdale-up-for-visit-o

BBC article (player coach):

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/28003559

BBC article (appointed Rochdale manager after brief caretaker spell):

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47798648

New Manager on 20:09 - Feb 19 with 471 viewsspell_chekker

Brian Barry-Murphy the favourite to succeed Simon Grayson as manager of League One side

The 41-year-old Corkman is currently in charge at Rochdale.

FORMER REPUBLIC OF Ireland U21 international Brian Barry-Murphy has emerged as the favourite to take over as the new manager at Blackpool.

Barry-Murphy, who’s currently in his first managerial role at fellow League One club Rochdale, had his odds slashed to 91/100 today as bookmakers look to forecast Simon Grayson’s successor.

Grayson was sacked last week after just seven months in the job, having guided Blackpool to one win in their previous 12 games.

Nathan Jones, who was axed as Stoke City boss in November, was the favourite to take over at Bloomfield Road until Barry-Murphy moved ahead in the betting.

The 41-year-old Corkman had been a member of Keith Hill’s coaching staff at Rochdale before being promoted to the manager’s job when Hill was relieved of his duties in March 2019.

After a run of just one victory in 11 games, the club were in the relegation zone at the time. However, with Barry-Murphy overseeing six wins and two draws from their final 11 fixtures of the season, the Spotland outfit ultimately avoided dropping down to League Two.

This season, Rochdale — whose budget is among the smallest in League One — sit in 19th place and they’ve earned plaudits for an attractive style of play.

In September, they drew 1-1 with Manchester United at Old Trafford in the third round of the Carabao Cup, before being eliminated via a penalty shootout. Last month, Barry-Murphy’s side also took Newcastle United to a replay in the third round of the FA Cup.

Barry-Murphy has also received praise for nurturing the club’s younger players. Their goalscorer at Old Trafford, 16-year-old Luke Matheson, has since earned Rochdale a £1million transfer fee from Wolverhampton Wanderers.

A sizeable Irish contingent — comprising Paul McShane, Eoghan O’Connell, Jimmy Keohane, Jimmy Ryan and Stephen Dooley — is part of the Rochdale squad.

Blackpool, who currently have Ireland U21 playmaker Connor Ronan on loan from Wolves, are due to travel to play AFC Wimbledon on Saturday, while Rochdale are scheduled to host Coventry City.

Barry-Murphy moved into coaching after hanging up his boots at Rochdale in 2017. His playing career, which began at Cork City, also included spells with Preston North End, Sheffield Wednesday and Bury.

Former Blackburn Rovers midfielder David Dunn has taken charge of Blackpool on an interim basis since Simon Grayson’s departure. Dunn had served as first-team coach under Grayson.

New Manager on 20:14 - Feb 19 with 470 viewsspell_chekker

Update offered as Blackpool’s managerial hunt continues

Blackpool ‘might’ begin interviewing candidates for their vacant manager’s role soon, according to journalist Alan Nixon.

The League One club are looking for their sixth manager in five years following Simon Grayson’s dismissal last week following a run of just one win in their last 10 matches.

Blackpool currently lie 16th in the League One table and are now closer to the relegation zone than they are the League One play-offs.

Former Blackburn Rovers midfielder David Dunn is currently in caretaker charge of the club whilst they continue their search for a new manager.

On Wednesday The Sun’s Alan Nixon suggested that the club may start interviewing candidates for the job soon and he expects a few names, including Rochdale’s Brian Barry-Murphy to be one of them.

When quizzed on whether the ‘might’ is because the club are waiting to hear back from Nathan Jones, Nixon confirmed that there had been talk of a short-list yesterday but suggest Jones was yet to commit his name to that list.

ones, who has been out of work since leaving Stoke City back in November, had emerged as one of the early favourites to succeed Simon Grayson at Bloomfield Road.

Caretaker boss David Dunn told the Blackpool Gazette last Thursday that he had “no intention” of becoming the club’s next permanent manager.

It looks likely that Blackpool will end the season in mid-table and hopes of making the play-offs are all but over with only 16 league matches remaining for the side, but despite this, some fans will be hoping the club will speed up its process of hiring a new manager.

The Verdict

Blackpool seemed like they had a good chance on making the League One play-offs earlier this season, but a poor run of results has seen the club fall down into the bottom half of the table, costing Grayson his job.

With Dunn already ruling himself out taking the job on a permanent basis, there is no reason for the club not to act swiftly in appointing Grayson’s successor.

Although Nathan Jones may not be committing to the job just yet, the club should ensure they are pressing on with other targets in the meantime in order to help stabilise the club’s situation.

New Manager on 20:59 - Feb 19 with 463 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Lost track of him after Man About the House and George and Mildred.

New Manager on 09:08 - Feb 20 with 439 viewsspell_chekker

There of lots of managers out there who would be an exciting proposition.

I've not gone into too much detail but I did a quick search on the managers of the top L2 clubs. It seems a logical place to look and assumes that Sadler is willing to pay some form of compensation to the other club if we nick their manager.

If it's important, I think they've all got connections to the north of England and the north west in particular.

Another interesting point is that it's common for them to have an "Evatt" type profile. Many youngish, whole hearted, and respected central defenders.

There are a couple of managers who we already know a bit about so I've not included them in the search. Obviously, there's Wellens at Swindon who we all know. We've also heard a bit about Ryan Lowe at Plymouth who seems to have dropped completely off the radar.

Then there's Matt Taylor at Exeter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Taylor_(footballer,_born_1982)

Then there's David Artell at Crewe:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Artell

Michael Duff at Cheltenham:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Duff_(footballer)

The final two managers are more experienced. Especially John Askey at Port Vale:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Askey

John McGreal at Colchester:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McGreal

I found this to be a moral booster as there seems to be plenty of choice if someone is willing to come to BFC and we're willing to pay compensation. We could make a very positive appointment.

New Manager on 17:10 - Feb 20 with 431 viewsspell_chekker

New Manager on 17:17 - Feb 20 with 429 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

"new man is likely to work as head coach"

Hope Matt asked him what the role involves, and how it differs from "manager".

The rest of those bullet points are what I'd expect.

New Manager on 23:45 - Feb 20 with 421 viewsspell_chekker

The last thing to do before going to bed was to check the betting for any news of a possible new manager.

Lo and behold, Lee Carsley has suddenly appeared out of nowhere and is currently 4th favourite.

Since retiring from playing in 2011, he's managed a bit here and there but has often been an assistant manager or been in charge of a development squad team. At the moment he's assistant manager of England U21s.

New Manager on 10:26 - Feb 21 with 415 viewsspell_chekker

After a week or so of inactivity, things are beginning to move.

Karl Robinson is now in the running.

Very good indeed.

https://m.skybet.com/football/manager-specials/event/25351437

New Manager on 12:34 - Feb 21 with 403 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

I'd take the betting with a huge sack full of salt. It'll be a small betting market, so a few bets placed can cause violent swings.

If I still gambled, I'd think about placing a few bets on Alex Neil, just enough to get him listed, not because we'd have a scooby's of getting him, but because of the chaos it would cause on the wrong end of the M55.

New Manager on 19:24 - Feb 23 with 382 viewsspell_chekker

Of course Red.

There are spurious candidates but some can't be too far removed from the process.

I see that Sol Campbell is now included as an outsider.

He should be so lucky.

With Sadler's ambition, I'm hoping that Robinson will be interested.

New Manager on 17:36 - Feb 24 with 370 viewsspell_chekker

Robinson Responds to Blackpool Managerial Vacancy

Oxford United manager Karl Robinson has responded to reports linking him with the vacant managerial role at League One rivals, Blackpool.

The 39-year-old, who joined the U’s in March 2018 following Pep Clotet’s dismissal in January, has guided the U’s to a successful campaign.

During this season, the U’s have beaten West Ham United with ease in the Carabao Cup, eventually bowing out at the quarter-final stage against holders Manchester City, while taking Newcastle United to an FA Cup replay and forcing extra time.

In the league, the U’s have been pushing for promotion all season, and despite a poor start to 2020, remain a real candidate to achieve the goal.

But following Simon Grayson’s dismissal from the Tangerines last week, Robinson has been made the fourth favourite in the hot seat.

Speaking after his sides impressive win at Ipswich yesterday, Robinson told the Oxford Mail: “I don’t know anything about that,” he said. We have to be ambitious, that’s the way it is.

“I’ve done many games. Whatever happens in my career it doesn’t really matter to me, I only care where my players go.

“If something happens and things don’t fit right at a certain place I know there will be other things I can go and do.

“Right now we’re in a really good place and these players have given me everything. I’m so proud.

“The fans who have seen me here celebrating, that’s a man who loves what he’s doing.”

Despite this season looking a successful one both on and off the pitch, it did take Robinson some time to find a winning formula with the U’s.

After taking over in March, he managed to keep the U’s in League One falling their sharp decline whilst searching for a new manager but last season, in his first full campaign, the club flirted with relegation for most of the season.

New Manager on 18:48 - Feb 25 with 348 viewsspell_chekker

New Manager on 18:51 - Feb 25 with 343 viewsspell_chekker

Some tweets commenting on the Robinson situation:

Leave Oxford for Blackpool?! Damn.

Well it`s a Done Deal then

The question is why would he?

Bigger club. Huge investment on and off the pitch. Ex-player. North west based......I could go on.....oh and a far bigger salary.

He’s always wanted to be in the north west where his family live, also Oxford are a selling club they sold both there best players and the club is limited I think the Blackpool job looks like a really good chance and he can really get behind the current plans for the club

New Manager on 19:06 - Feb 25 with 340 viewsspell_chekker

New Manager on 19:06 - Feb 25 with 339 viewsspell_chekker

I'll have a rummage.

See if I can find anything else.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024