Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) 07:13 - Mar 18 with 4708 viewsPhildo

Following Clive's advice on the Corona thead

Who was the first player you idolised as a kid? Not the best or the most memorable but the one who caught your attention as a youngster

I will start with Steve Wicks

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 07:15 - Mar 18 with 2499 viewssmegma

Dave Clement. He scored in my first Rangers game.

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 07:23 - Mar 18 with 2479 viewsdistortR

David Kerslake. England captain at all levels he played at, until he caught glandular fever.

Oooooooh, you mean when I was a kid.

Ian Gillard. I played left back for the primary school, he played left back for my team.

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 07:49 - Mar 18 with 2450 viewspeejaybee

Tony Ingham

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 07:50 - Mar 18 with 2450 viewspaulparker

As a kid Gary waddock

As a teen Paul Parker

As an “adult” Adel , that 2010/11 season was one of the happiest times of my life

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 08:19 - Mar 18 with 2417 viewsHayesender

Absolutely loved Simon Stainrod as a wide eyed 12 year old.

He just seemed to swagger over the pitch

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 08:29 - Mar 18 with 2404 viewsloftus77

Stan - then I read the OP more carefully.

Martyn Busby - when I first started going, the crowd used to give him the bird, not realising the extent of his injury problems.

[Post edited 18 Mar 2020 8:32]

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 08:53 - Mar 18 with 2366 viewscolinallcars

George Petchey.

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 08:59 - Mar 18 with 2356 viewsDWQPR

Stan.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 09:16 - Mar 18 with 2348 viewsjoe90

Euro 92 I remember liking Ruud Gullit, possibly because as a 7 year old I liked his cool hairstyle and orange shirt! I remember my brother was trying to explain why I should support England, haha.

Kinkladze scored some great goals, Yeboah, basically anyone who played in PL between 94-98, haha

From QPR Dichio was my hero.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2020 9:17]

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 09:37 - Mar 18 with 2322 viewsozexile

I missed Stanley at Loftus road. So use to go and watch him at Brentford. Amazing.

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 09:38 - Mar 18 with 2320 viewsRamseyR

Lucky enough to be a kid for the Dave Sexton years, so all the players in that team.

Apart from Rangers...Kevin Keegan for me. Loved how he would get kicked to bits in Internationals and just keep getting up.

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 09:40 - Mar 18 with 2320 viewsBucksRanger

Mike Keen - a 3rd Division footballer who played like Booby Moore.

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 09:43 - Mar 18 with 2319 viewsEsox_Lucius

I started going to see QPR because of Marsh but my favourite then was Roger Morgan, followed by Ron Hunt. Don Masson later on, followed by Clive Allen and more recently, Ale Faurlin, even though Adel made the hair on my neck stand out, and currently Ebere, who does the same thing.

The grass is always greener.

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 09:52 - Mar 18 with 2306 viewswestberksr

just caught the end of the great 70's team, so have to say Stan.

As a centre back myself I always loved Bob Hazel, then Alan McDonald

latterly is was Adel

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 09:59 - Mar 18 with 2290 viewsterryb

I have two, both of which were before I had any interest, let alone support for Queens Park Rangers!

As a youngster in the late '50's /very early '60's my "hero" was Brian Douglas. My father was a Blackburn fan & we had a family outing to The Valley for the promotion decider of 1958(?). Blackburn won 4-3 after leading 4-1 with 5 minutes left! Douglas was tte star & replaced Finney in the England team (Tom, not Paul!).

Then as a 10/11 year old Stewart Scullion came into my life! A 17 year old that broke into the first team for Chesham United (my first love) & to this day is the best player to have worn ther claret & blue! He never played for Scotland (a fellow called Jimmy Johnstone kept him out), but he played many a game in the first division for the best post war Sheffield United team (Scullion, Woodward & Currie front line) & many an older Watford fan regards him as among their best ever players.

Stewart remains my favourite ever player with only Ale Faurlin getting anywhere near!

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 10:00 - Mar 18 with 2290 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Gary Bannister

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 10:06 - Mar 18 with 2281 viewsMrSheen

Missed the golden years, only started going after relegation as a teenager. Big Bob Hazell, the only autograph I’ve ever got.

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 10:11 - Mar 18 with 2274 viewsqprxtc

Phil Parkes.

I was 9 when we sold him and cried my eyes out.

Seven months later I was booing him when he came back with West Ham. We won 3-0.

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 10:11 - Mar 18 with 2273 viewsMick_S

I idolised the man. Bicycle kick against Cardiff, wasn't it, hmmm.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 10:26 - Mar 18 with 2236 viewsdannyblue

Roy Wegerle for me

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 10:30 - Mar 18 with 2226 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dave Thomas.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 11:18 - Mar 18 with 2189 viewsfrancisbowles

Rodney. Scored a hatrick, two of which were in the Big Match goal of the season contest, the first game I came to as a twelve year old.

Before that I watched Brentford and my hero was Alan Mansley, a goalscoring winger and crowd favourite, who they had signed from Skelmersdale after they had reached the F.A. Amateur Cup Final. Unfortunately 'Ollie' as he was known had serious injuries and eventually followed the manager to Notts County.

Didn't really know what happened to him, so looked him up on wiki. Sadly he died of a heart attack aged just 54. 24 goals in 96 games for the Bees. No mention of his injuries but that he fell out of favour when Frank Blunstone took over as their manager. Blunstone was ex scum, so that was unfortunate.

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 11:36 - Mar 18 with 2162 viewsthame_hoops

haha i loved Gullit too. My mate had a small goal in his garden and We'd practice crosses and headers Gullit style into an empty net.

Kid (1987)-Gary Bannister/John Byrne
Teen- Evil Les
Adult-Adel

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 11:53 - Mar 18 with 2142 viewsNov77

Phil parkes, Stan and then Tony Currie

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Favourite player as a young boy (or girl) on 12:03 - Mar 18 with 2128 viewsClive_Anderson

Me too.

He had a strange career really, no idea why we sold him when we did for the same money we paid for him. Didn't really do anything at Blackburn and not a lot at Coventry either.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024