Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League 07:25 - Mar 19 with 440 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Reserves hit eight as new South Stand is open for the first time

Over the next few weeks The Gazette will be dipping into its archives to tell you the tale of how we reported Blackpool’s remarkable promotion to the Premier League during the 2009/10 season.

On this day 10 years ago, this is the story that adorned our back page…

Ishmael Demontagnac had the honour of being the first player to score in front of Blackpool’s new South Stand.

Stephen Dobbie also fired a timely reminder to Ian Holloway as he hit a hat-trick as a strong Blackpool reserve side ran riot in front of 1,600 fans at Bloomfield Road.

The new Jimmy Armfield Stand, which will be officially opened when Pool face Crystal Palace on Saturday, welcomed supporters for the first time - but it might be some time before it sees a goal feast like this again!

An experienced Blackpool second string hit eight without reply against a youthful Rochdale side in front of a crowd sufficiently large that the new stand could take no more and stragglers were directed to the West Stand.

Demontagnac fired home after little more than 10 minutes, while Billy Clarke and Dobbie added further goals to make it 3-0 at half time.

Dobbie could have had five before the break as a string of good efforts flew agonisingly wide, one of them set up by a superbly weighted chip by the impressive Barry Bannan, who played a part in most of the goals.

The Scot made up for his misses in a one-sided second half, which also saw Bannan and the returning Ian Evatt hit the net.

But perhaps the pick of the goals was Al Bangura’s volley from the edge of the area.

Evatt’s strong, hour-long performance after injury was a major boost, while young trialist Rod McDonald, from Stoke City, was solid alongside him.

His father, also named Rod, was a striker for Walsall and Partick Thistle in the 1990s, after making his name alongside ex-Seasider Tony Rodwell at Colne Dynamoes.

Clarke continued his return to fitness with a full 90 minutes. Also making a welcome return was referee Mark Halsey, given a warm round of applause after surgery for throat cancer.

Pool had required at least 500 to occupy the new stand in order to secure a safety certificate ahead of Saturday’s grand opening.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/ten-year-annivers

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League on 07:26 - Mar 19 with 377 viewsLala

Just an amazing time and day. No one at Wembley that day could ever forget it.

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League on 09:09 - Mar 19 with 372 viewsspell_chekker

I'd like to know the line up of the reserve team.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League on 07:33 - Mar 20 with 363 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League: Seamus Coleman signs on loan from Everton while Ian Holloway quotes Oscar Wilde

It’s 10 years since the greatest achievement of Blackpool FC’s recent history: promotion to the Premier League for a season feasting on unforgettable football at the English game’s top table.

Over the coming weeks, The Gazette's football writer Matt Scrafton will be dipping into the archives to bring you our reports from a decade ago on Blackpool’s remarkable journey to the promised land.

--

On this day 10 years ago, this is the story we told on our back page: “Ian Holloway beat off competition from his former club QPR to sign Everton youngster Seamus Coleman on a one-month loan.”

The business turned out to be a masterstroke as Coleman went on to play a crucial role in the Seasiders’ promotion push.

The defender had been high on Holloway’s wanted list and helped fill the gap left by the injured Neal Eardley at right-back.

The Republic of Ireland Under-21 international joined the Premiership outfit from Sligo Rovers for £60,000.

He made his debut for the Toffees in their Europa League defeat against Benfica. Three days later he made his Premiership debut as a second-half substitute against Bolton Wanderers at the Reebok Stadium.

Coleman, who wore the number 31 shirt, went straight into the Seasiders’ squad for the game against Crystal Palace on March 20.

Ian Holloway told his players to get caught up in the emotion of the South Stand opening that day and enjoy every moment.

And in a lively press conference ahead of the crucial home clash with Crystal Palace, the manager also advised them to read Oscar Wilde.

Holloway said: “He (Wilde) wrote: ‘We’re all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars’ and that’s how I want my team to feel.

“Someone asked if the fans and I are getting carried away by talking about and aiming for the play-offs.

“Well, you have to set your sights as high as you possibly can. That’s life.

“I am a bloke who was born in a council house to a family who didn’t have two halfpennies to rub together.

“I wanted to be a footballer and a manager, and I became one because I aimed high.

“I want my team, my fans and my chairman to have the same view.

“We need to start to think that one day we’ll get to the Premier League. Whether that day is very close or miles away, who knows? But let’s go for it.

“There are 27 points to play for. We’ve got ourselves in a fantastic position, where we’re not really that concerned about the bottom end of the league.

“We’ve not been down there all season and people have had the feelgood factor.

“If we can get three points tomorrow, then another three on Tuesday against Swansea, it will throw it all open again and it will suddenly be really exciting again.”

While victory was the order of the day against Palace, there was the added sideshow of the opening of the £8.5m Jimmy Armfield stand.

Armfield and club president Valeri Belokon were due to cut a ribbon outside the stand at 1.55pm, five minutes before the turnstiles open.

The players were to form a guard of honour prior to kick-off and Armfield would be paraded on the pitch.

More than 8,600 home fans had so far bought tickets as the club aimed for a sellout.

Asked if it was important for his team not to get caught up in the emotion of the occasion, Holloway responded: “It’s the opposite — we’ve got to get caught up in all of it.

“It is going to be a terrific day, a terrific tribute to a great man in Jimmy, and I can’t wait.”

And Holloway believes the club deserves credit for getting the stand up.

“Getting the necessary finance that wasn’t borrowed to build the stand is quite phenomenal in this day and age.

“So well done to this football club. The stability they’ve got here is absolutely fantastic.”

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/ten-year-annivers

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League on 18:50 - Mar 20 with 354 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League on 07:52 - Mar 21 with 348 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League:

Karl Oyston lays down challenge to fans as Jimmy Armfield speaks of pride at new stand

It’s 10 years since the greatest achievement of Blackpool FC’s recent history: promotion to the Premier League for a season feasting on unforgettable football at the English game’s top table.

On this day 10 years ago, this is the story we told on our back page: “Oyston’s challenge to Pool fans: We’ve built it — if you really want to go places then FILL IT!”

Karl Oyston sent a rallying cry to the people of Blackpool: “Support us so we can really start going places.”

The Seasiders chief has often been criticised for a perceived lack of ambition.

But following the grand opening of the £8.5m Jimmy Armfield stand, the chairman believes there is a golden opportunity for the club to kick on ... as long as they get enough people through the turnstiles.

“We need more fans to come and support us if we are to continue to make progress, it’s as simple as that,” Oyston said.

“We remain committed to continuing to try to grow the support base because that is one of the main determining factors on the squad budget.

“We’ve come a long way in the last few years and this season has been particularly fantastic.

“So it would be unfortunate if the fantastic work the managers and the players have done couldn’t be built on because of constraints.”

Oyston believes Pool must attract 11,000 people through the turnstiles on a regular basis if the club is to flourish and become a Championship force to be reckoned with.

Asked how the Seasiders could coax more fans in, the chairman replied: “It will be by a combination of our existing supporters spreading the word and the people of the Fylde coast buying into what we are trying to do.

“We have been working hard to go out into the community and schools and telling children that we’re a worthwhile cause and use of their money.

“Times are difficult, money is tight and there are a lot of things to do.

“But we firmly believe that the type of football we are playing and the plans we have in place, and with the resources we now have, that it certainly wouldn’t be an investment that people would regret.

“The take up of the recent March Madness offer has been fantastic and it shows what we can do with some imaginative marketing offers.

“We’ve also of course got to be mindful that the lifeblood of our club are the people that commit ahead of the season and have been with us all the way, the season ticket holders.

“We can’t dilute their commitment by giving too many offers, but we hope they understand the need for us to really grow the support base.”

Oyston was speaking prior to the official opening of the new Armfield Stand, which took place before the Seasiders came from two goals behind to draw 2-2 with Crystal Palace.

The new stand was opened by the 74-year-old, who dedicated his entire playing career to Blackpool.

“I have been really looking forward to it, but then again we all have the supporters and the players,” Armfield said.

“I am very proud.

“When they first told me they were going to put my name on the stand I thought it would be in very small letters on the top, or maybe even outside the ground.

“I didn’t expect it to be like it is. It means everybody will be able to sit on me now!

“I feel very proud and honoured to be recognised by the only club I played for and a place which means so much to me.

“It will change the atmosphere in the ground and the ambition must now be to do the east and move on further.”

His name was sung from the terraces, now it is being chanted from his own stand.

Seasiders’ great Jimmy Armfield was all smiles as he was given the honour of opening Blackpool FC’s new South Stand, the Armfield Stand.

The 74-year-old former Seasiders and England captain unveiled a plaque at a special ceremony before Saturday’s highly-charged Championship clash with Crystal Palace.

Armfield, who was visibly moved, said it was a special day for him and his family.

“It’s quite emotional,” he said. “It seems a long time since I started to play for Blackpool back in the 1950s.

“There’s been a lot of great lads playing for the Tangerines before and since then.

“I’d like to thank the club for this honour.”

As the Bloomfield Road hero, known affectionately by fans as “Sir Jimmy”, cut the ribbon on the turnstiles, supporters standing outside spontaneously began chanting “there’s only one Jimmy Armfield.”

Club owner Owen Oyston said the day would not have happened had it not been for the support of Latvian president Valeri Belokon.

Oyston said: “It’s an exciting time. Jimmy Armfield is a giant among men, not just for what he has done for the football club, but for the town.

“It’s a privilege to name a great stand after a great man.”

The day itself was in danger of not going to script as the Seasiders fell two goals down by half-time.

But a rousing second half comeback, and Ben Burgess’ last-minute equaliser, ensured high drama on a memorable day.

Fan Robert Burdon, 30, from Thornton, said: “Today means everything. It’s been a long time coming and it’s really important for the club.

“The seats are nicer and it definitely looks impressive. It’s right to honour Jimmy Armfield as he’s a legend.”

Andy Monkman, 40, from Layton, said: “The stand is here at long last and hopefully we will get the rest of the stadium finished soon.

“It’s a big day for the club and it’s special for Jimmy Armfield. He really deserves the honour.”

Former St Annes resident Nigel Auty, 44, had travelled from Wiltshire, especially to see the new stand.

He said: “I used to sit in the old South Stand. It’s great to honour Jimmy Armfield because he has done so much for the club.”

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League on 06:45 - Mar 22 with 336 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League: Jimmy Armfield pays special training ground visit as Seasiders prepare for clash with play-off rivals

A training ground visit from Jimmy Armfield gave Ian Holloway a boost as he prepares to get one over on promotion rivals Swansea.

Fresh from his special day opening the new South Stand at the weekend, Armfield dropped into Squires Gate for a chat with the manager.

It was much appreciated by Holloway, who also talked at length to the former England and Seasiders legend after Saturday’s 2-2 draw with Crystal Palace.

“Jimmy spoke to me after the game and he was as emotional as I was,” said Holloway.

“He came in yesterday to tell me what a fantastic second half it was. We could have won by five he said, but unfortunately their keeper was a bit tasty.

“It was good of him to go out of his way to do that and he’s right, the second half was good.

“I think the problem in the first period was that with the stand opening and Jimmy being there, things like that can sometimes cloud your focus.

“You don’t normally have an excellent old footballer walking along shaking your hand and it looked like we thought we were at Wembley rather than Bloomfield Road.

“But I reminded them what their jobs were at half time and luckily we had a great response and that’s what I’m focusing on now, how good that comeback was.”

Failure to win has lengthened the gap between Pool and sixth-placed Cardiff City to seven points, and the Bluebirds have a game in hand.

Suggest to Holloway, though, that a play-off place is unlikely and the pressure is now off and he couldn’t disagree more.

“We have to reapply the pressure. It should always be about yourself and you should never look around,” he said.

“The last thing you do at the end of a race is to check on where everyone else is because you won’t win. It is very difficult not to do because of where we got ourselves.

“But we’ve got to learn to deal with that if we are going to be the club that I think we can be, instead of a club who thinks it is really doing well because it isn’t near the relegation zone.

“That’s a whole mindset that has got to change, from the fans to the players to the board.

“I know where I think we can get to and you have to keep working towards getting there.

“At the end of the day it comes down to the quality of what you produce on the pitch for the whole 90 minutes each week.

“You can’t waste any minutes of that. But we have recently, against Sheffield United and the first half against Crystal Palace.

“I won’t go mad about it because I understand it is difficult.

“It is a long hard race and you might stop, put your hands on your knees and take a long deep breath at the wrong time.

“But we need to get it back because I don’t want our season which has been fantastic to be ruined right at the end.”

Holloway added: “Cardiff now have a fair few points more than us. But we’ve got 24 to fight and scrap for and if we can win seven out of nine we might even be in the playoffs.

“We want to finish off strongly, see what we can do and nothing that happens can stop my belief in where I think we are going to go.”

Ben Burgess is likely to lead the line for the Seasiders against Swansea after his goalscoring appearance from the bench at the weekend.

Burgess, speaking to The Gazette ahead of the Swansea clash, admitted he’s having to prove he’s worthy of a new contract.

The striker’s contract runs out in the summer and he is unsure whether he’ll be offered new terms.

“I’d love to stay at Blackpool,” the 28-year-old said.

“But I haven’t played that many games lately and it is up to the gaffer what he wants to do.

“There are eight games left this season and so I’ve got eight games to get a contract. It’s as simple as that and I just have to do the best I can.

“I’ve not started many games since Christmas and I’ve got to put that right by trying to play well and score goals when I do play.

“But I’d love to stay because I’ve had a great time here so hopefully the goal on Saturday can be the start of a good run.”

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League on 07:24 - Mar 23 with 323 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

On this day 10 years ago, Blackpool produced a stunning display to thrash play-off rivals Swansea City 5-1 at Bloomfield Road. This is how we reported it:

Hands up, who saw that one coming? I can’t see many hands.

Blackpool simply sauntered past the club with the meanest defence in the Championship, playing through their visitors at will for lengthy periods in the second half.

Swansea hadn’t conceded more than three goals in a game all season. In fact they’ve only conceded three twice, and that was against Newcastle and Middlesbrough.

They were simply no match for Pool, and this — don’t forget — a side without David Vaughan, DJ Campbell, Stephen Dobbie, Hameur Bouazza and Neal Eardley.

Imagine if they were all fit? Ian Holloway would have one heck of a squad.

Pool racked up their best win of the campaign, beating their previous highest score of a 4-1 win over Scunthorpe.

This was so much more impressive, because it came against a Swansea side in fourth position and which has been ridiculously hard to beat all campaign.

It also arrived after what had been a difficult week for the players.

In the previous seven days they had lost to West Brom and Sheffield United and laboured to a draw against Crystal Palace.

The start to the Palace match, in particular, had been dreadful.

Here it was very different, with Holloway’s men getting in the faces of their opponents from the off.

Gary Taylor-Fletcher’s position slightly ahead of the midfield two was a tactical masterstroke.

It stopped Swansea getting their pretty passing game going and thus wrestled the initiative away from their confused visitors early on. It was the foundation for victory.

Brett Ormerod, so terrific all evening, showed his intent by kickstarting the evening’s entertainment on 12 minutes.

The determination and desire that has been the hallmark of his career shone through as he won the race with defender Ashley Williams (eight years his junior) to force home the loose ball after Dorus De Vries had saved Billy Clarke’s angled drive.

De Vries, by the way, had been aiming to add to his 22 clean sheets in 38 games. Better luck next time...

Swansea rallied slightly as Pool had a little lull during the half, relying too much on the long ball.

The dangerous Nathan Dyer latched onto a superb 60-yard pass from Williams and cut past Stephen Crainey into the area, but Ian Evatt saved the day with a fine block.

That’s the kind of commitment the team misses when Evatt isn’t playing.

The key moments came either side of the break. Pool scored a second goal at a perfect moment in first-half stoppage time.

Clarke deserves great credit for bundling his way past Cedric Van Der Gun on the right flank.

Seamus Coleman took over and pulled the ball back to Evatt, who scored his first goal of 2010, his fourth of the season.

Then four minutes after the interval Clarke did a couple of Ronaldo-style stepovers before curling a left-footed shot against the inside of the post. The rebound fell perfectly for Ben Burgess to knock in.

Two goals in two games for the big man, great credit to Clarke for the initial skill though.

Swansea boss Paulo Sousa was probably bewildered, not that you’d know it. The guy looks fabulous, like a classier Mourinho.

A sign of how the contest was going, the Stylish One had made all three of his substitutions by the 59th minute, to no avail though.

De Vries did well to repel Charlie Adam’s thunderous effort but the keeper had no chance with Ormerod’s second of the evening on 67 minutes.

Fed by Coleman, the evergreen 33-year-old cut inside and slammed a left footer into the top corner. A peach of a strike, vintage Brett.

“Didn’t know Brazil played in tangerine” remarked one spectator as the Seasiders began to knock it around in gleeful fashion, every pass accompanied by a cheer from the home fans.

The atmosphere, with Pool supporters behind each goal, was top notch all night.

Burgess put a free header over from Coleman’s deep cross before the home side rounded off their scoring for the night with a well-worked strike seven minutes from the end.

Barry Bannan combined with fellow substitute Stephen Husband to put Coleman in on the right of the area.

The on-loan Everton full-back showed speed and strength to get to the ball, then vision and composure to put it on a plate for Taylor-Fletcher six yards out.

Great moment for ‘GTF’, who has missed large chunks of the season with injury, and also for Coleman not least because a no-doubt impressed David Moyes was watching from the directors’ box.

Also seated there was Jimmy Armfield — I bet the great man enjoyed last night’s football more than Saturday.

Swansea nicked a consolation moments later, Van Der Gun latching onto Husband’s error and beating Alex Baptiste before finishing nicely past Matt Gilks.

Annoying for the keeper and back four to concede but a minor irritation on what was otherwise a truly splendid night.

We can talk about the stats, like it being the first time Pool have scored five goals since beating Charlton at Bloomfield Road in February 2008.

But as satisfying as all that is the main thing about last night is that Blackpool guaranteed safety and will be a Championship team next term, for a fourth successive season.

To be safe from relegation this early proves they are a much better team than in previous years.

But just how good are they? That is now the question and it could be quite exciting finding out the answer. The play-offs are four points away. the dream’s back on.

Speaking afterwards, Pool boss Ian Holloway said it was his new scarf that did the trick.

“A lot of managers seem to have lucky scarves so I’ve gone and bought one,” he revealed.

“I am trying to look like these other managers, and I’ve made sure it has a little bit of tangerine in there.

“I’m just hoping we won’t get any sun between now and the end of the season because if we win 5-1 like that I am going to have to wear it every week!

“I’m delighted with this win. It was a bit rough last week to be honest. I didn’t enjoy it. It ruined my birthday.

“I was 47 and boy, what a terrible seven days it was. But the lads have been fantastic in the way they have responded.”

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League on 17:44 - Mar 24 with 315 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Ian Holloway on his delight at Championship survival, 'outstanding' Charlie Adam and Brett Ormerod's return from illness

On this day 10 years ago, Ian Holloway was looking upwards after a memorable Bloomfield Road win...

Ian Holloway set his Blackpool side the new target of beating their previous season’s points tally after the Seasiders claimed their 11th home win of the season in emphatic style.

Blackpool thrashed play-off rivals Swansea 5-1 at Bloomfield Road to move onto 54 points with seven games of the season still remaining.

That is a big deal because with 53 points generally regarded as being definitely safe, it means Holloway’s side don’t have to worry about relegation.

This is a stark contrast to the last two seasons in the Championship and is a sweet moment for the manager.

Holloway said: “We are definitely safe. We’ve got 54 points and it means we can stop looking around us. There should be no nerves any more.

“It feels good to know that we are going to be a Championship side next year. But I want to be a good one.

“For me now there’s a new target. We got 56 points last year, so we need to beat that.

“I’d like to beat last year’s tally by quite a few points and if we do it then you never know.

“Let’s set our sights as high as we possibly can and see what we can achieve.

“The players have been terrific all season. I’m not going to talk about the play-offs, but let’s have a run at the line. You never know in this life.”

Asked if the win against Swansea was the best performance he had seen from his team this season, Holloway replied: “I don’t know if it’s the best. To be honest, we could have kept the ball better.

“We really did throw it away by going too long at times.

“The balance wasn’t always right because we got too close to Ben Burgess and couldn’t pass it. But the important thing for me was to see a response after the first half against Crystal Palace on Saturday, which I was very disappointed with.

“I told them who was in the stand and watching, all the scouts that were at the game.

“Apart from the Royal family every man and his dog was here. They were either watching Swansea or us, so I told them to give a performance.

“Sometimes that can put your mind off what you’re doing but it didn’t. The response from my lads was absolutely brilliant.”

Charlie Adam didn’t add to his impressive goal tally of 15 for the season but he did add to his growing reputation.

With dozens of scouts watching, the 24-year-old had another fine game in the centre of the Seasiders midfield.

And Holloway said he will eat his hat if Adam doesn’t get in the next Scotland squad.

“Charlie grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and if Craig Levein doesn’t think he is good enough to play for Scotland I will eat my hat,” said the Seasiders boss.

“Charlie has been absolutely outstanding.”

Keith Southern, the man alongside Adam in midfield, also earned praise from the manager.

“Keith was outstanding too,” said Holloway. “People moan and say ‘Why are you playing (striker Ben) Burgess?’ but it’s all about balance.

“You can play as many good footballers as you like, but if they don’t get hold of the ball or don’t get a challenge in you can’t do anything.

“Last night was a good old northern performance. Northern boys like their gravy and I’m beginning to love it!”

Who knows what that last sentence means, but it’s clear Holloway is loving every minute of this season.

Brett Ormerod, meanwhile, capped his return from illness to bag two goals in Blackpool’s sweet win.

In usual Brett style, the forward went into a bit too much detail when asked just how poorly he had been feeling.

“I hadn’t been well all day,” he said. “There has been a bit of a bug going around.

“My missus has had it and big Ben Burgess had it on Saturday. I won’t give you the exact details but I spent most of yesterday on the toilet.”

A delighted Ian Holloway said: “What can I say about Brett?

“He’s an absolutely brilliant player. I am so pleased I’ve got him at my club and playing for me.”

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League on 11:42 - Mar 25 with 311 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Ian Holloway mulls over deadline day drama as Keith Southern calls for improvement in away form

Ian Holloway won’t drive himself crazy trying to strengthen his squad before today’s final transfer deadline.

The boss has until 5pm to make a loan signing — after that he cannot complete any further business until the end of the campaign.

DJ Campbell, Barry Bannan, Stephen Dobbie and Seamus Coleman are all on loan at Bloomfield Road.

But Holloway won’t be concerned if he doesn’t add to that figure come teatime.

“I’ll have a look at it but I don’t see me being able to bring in anyone I think is better than what I’ve already got,” he said.

“What I inherited when I came here was of a fantastic level and I’ve got them playing a way they are all enjoying.

“Even the new ones I’ve bought are finding it difficult to play better because of the balance we had and the way we’ve been practising to play all season.

“So the lads I’ve already got are a tough act to follow.

“I’m delighted how hard they have worked for me and they were great against Swansea the other night so let’s see what we can achieve from now on until the end of the season.”

Holloway added: “There is no huge gaping hole in the squad I need to fill. I’ve got people who can play in every area.

“There was only the right-back spot that was a problem because of Neal Eardley’s injury.”

Keith Southern, meanwhile, warned the Blackpool squad an improvement in away form is crucial if the Seasiders are to have any chance of breaking into the top six.

The club has claimed 11 home victories this term, one of the best records in the Championship.

But on their travels it has been a different story, with only three wins in 19 games.

Pool will travel to Holloway’s old club Plymouth on Saturday in the best of spirits after hammering Swansea 5-1.

And Southern says it is imperative to try and get a result against a Pilgrims side languishing second bottom in the division.

“If we are going to maintain a play-off push we are going to have to win a couple of away games. If we don’t we will slide down the league, it is as simple as that,” said the midfielder.

“The away form has been the most disappointing factor of the season and I can’t really put my finger on why.

“The pitches we play on away from home tend to be a lot better. I don’t know if we’re a little bit naïve away and we need that little bit of ruthlessness.

“There are a lot of good players in the dressing room but a lot of young lads too and they are learning all the time.

“But we’ve got this Plymouth game coming up so let’s go and win it.”

Victory over Swansea took the Seasiders to 54 points and guaranteed Championship football next season.

“The pressure is off in terms of relegation and the only pressure now should come from ourselves. We’ve got seven cup finals left and let’s see how many we can win,” added Southern.

“The Swansea game was great to play in and I think it’s as good as we’ve played all season. Everyone was delighted in the dressing room after the game.

“We felt we owed the club and the fans a performance after the previous three games, especially the first half on Saturday against Crystal Palace.

“We came out all guns blazing and what a superb effort. To play like we did in spells on that pitch takes some doing.

“The pitch is horrendous, let’s not make any bones about it. It is really poor. But I think we played a little bit more to the conditions.

“Last Saturday we had three little men up front and we tried to play but we couldn’t really get it going.

“But against Swansea we mixed our game up, passing it short and long, hitting Ben Burgess when we needed to, and won the second ball.

“You need to do that, to mix it up, because in this league you cannot be too predictable really.”

As for the play-off dream, 28-year-old Southern is old and wise enough not to get carried away.

“All I’ll say is that there is no pressure on us. We’re Blackpool. We were tipped to go down,” he said.

“The only pressure we’ve got is from ourselves and let’s have a real good go for the remainder of the season. But what’s pleasing is the way we are able to bounce back.

“We lost three games in a row in February to West Brom, Leicester and Sheffield Wednesday but we’ve bounced back well.

“I think we showed our character against Palace on Saturday. Even though we were really poor first half, we came out fighting in the second period and we gave a real reaction. We carried that through to the Swansea game.

“We were up and at them from the word go and won our tackles and that was the key to victory.

“The first goal settled the nerves because we have conceded early in the last couple of games. Then the goals either side of half-time killed the game.

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League on 15:49 - Mar 26 with 309 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Ian Holloway prepared to be in the firing line on his return to Plymouth as assistant 'Thommo' calls for repeat of 2007 heroics

Ian Holloway insists he is looking forward to returning to Plymouth this weekend for the first time since quitting the club to take over at Leicester City.

That left him public enemy number one in the eyes of Pilgrims fans.

And it means Saturday’s game — as important for Plymouth’s survival hopes as it is to the Seasiders’ play-off dreams — has added spice.

“I don’t care what reception I get,” said Holloway. “They have a different board now and everything has changed, so what on earth has it got to do with Ian Holloway? Absolutely nothing.

“I just want three points, no matter who the opposition. It’s not about me — it’s about trying to get a victory for Blackpool, which we desperately want.

“The people there can think and say what they want about me but I’m looking forward to taking my Blackpool team there.

“We beat them 2-0 at home and I thought we played them off the park. I have to try and do that again.

“They’ve had a great run of results lately and well done to Paul Mariner (who had replaced Paul Sturrock as manager in December) because it is not easy turning around a side that had been struggling a bit.”

After failing to win at two of his other former clubs this season, QPR and Leicester, Holloway is desperately hoping to break his duck and get three points at Home Park.

He added: “I haven’t beaten any of my old teams away yet and I’d love to beat Plymouth tomorrow, just for the fact that we’d be on 57 points and in and around the hunt.

“It is nothing personal against Plymouth but a win would give us a chance of having a really good run at it in the last few games.

“But we have to earn the right. We have to go there and play the right way, and make sure we’re mentally right for it as we were against Swansea the other night.”

Pool will be well supported at Home Park. A fan, who asked to remain anonymous, has paid for several coaches to make the trip to the south coast and almost 300 fans have taken advantage of the offer.

“I understand one supporter has made a marvellous gesture and paid for coaches for the fans to use for the trip,” Holloway added. “That’s great, and I’m sure it will add to the atmosphere and give us a lift.

“Our away support has been first-class throughout the season and I am sure those that make the long trek will be in fine voice.

“The lads certainly do appreciate the lengths people go to follow us.”

Meanwhile, assistant manager Steve Thompson is hoping the Seasiders can turn back the clock and repeat their promotion heroics of three years ago.

Back in 2007, Pool won their last 10 games to clinch a stunning promotion to the Championship.

A run of victories in the final seven games of this campaign would go a long way to helping the Seasiders grab a play-off spot.

And Thompson says there is no reason why the club can’t do it. “We went on a great run a couple of seasons ago and why can’t we do it again now? That’s what we’re aiming to do,” he said.

“Yes, we’re in a higher division but there’s an even bigger prize at the end of it now. We know what we need to do and we have our own targets.

“I think the play-offs are a realistic target. The teams above us could get nervous. They have some tough games coming up.

“If we keep picking up these results you never know what might happen.

“At the other end of it, I also think the points for safety will be higher than last season because there are a lot of teams at the bottom end winning.

“So it is important we keep picking points up either way you look at it.”

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League on 10:39 - Mar 27 with 306 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Ian Holloway enjoys winning return to Plymouth as Seasiders claim crucial away win

Unsurprisingly, this match was all about Ian Holloway.

Sure, Angela Rippon tried to get in on the act, appearing on the pitch in a natty red number at half-time on behalf of a local charity and giving a moving speech.

But other than that it was Holloway’s day.

This match has been eagerly-awaited by folk in Plymouth since the start of the season. For those who’ve stumbled upon this match report out of desperation because they couldn’t do the sudoku, here’s the short version of why.

Holloway was doing very nicely in charge at Plymouth, but left them a couple of years back to join Leicester City. And, well, that’s it.

But football fans have long memories (a Blackpool supporter I know is still bitter about Joe Smith’s decision to axe Stan Mortensen in 1947...) and the Plymouth fans haven’t forgiven Holloway.

They say he’d promised not to leave but did, so he’s a Judas. For his part, Holloway says there were things going on behind the scenes the fans didn’t know about which forced him out.

Whatever, his return was hyped up, to the extent that Holloway made the front page of the local Plymouth paper the day before the game.

In fact, he was given almost as much space on the page as an international gang of drug smugglers sentenced to 17 years in prison. Blimey!

Ollie was being put on a par with a bunch of criminals - clearly this game was a big deal.

Because of all this, one half expected a brick or three to come smashing through the windscreen of the Blackpool coach as it neared Home Park. But in the end the atmosphere was nowhere near as poisonous as some thought it might be.

Of course there was the odd bit of screaming. But Holloway was applauded by 99 per cent of those who gathered around the team bus when it arrived at the ground an hour before the contest started.

And when he emerged from the tunnel prior to kickoff, there was nothing more than some mild-mannered booing.

Despite the best efforts of the media to whip up a furore, time clearly has been a healer and the majority of Plymouth fans appeared to have mellowed in their attitude towards Holloway for what may or may not have done in the past.

Mind you, by the time the final whistle blew they probably hated him again as Ollie’s Seasiders claimed the points.

The victory was less comfortable than it sounds though.

Precariously perched at the wrong end of the division and fighting for every point, Plymouth had five good chances to open the scoring in the first half but fluffed them all.

Blackpool were poor throughout the opening period but not too dissimilar to the Crystal Palace game a week ago, came to life in the second 45 minutes.

Charlie Adam began strutting his stuff and when his goal 12 minutes from time was followed by a strike from sub Stephen Dobbie, Pool had recorded yet another valuable three points.

They were big points too. In my book this was a must-win game. Defeat and Pool would have been as good as out of the play-off race.

But victory has piled the pressure on sixth-placed Leicester, who travel to Cardiff City tomorrow.

Defeat for the Foxes and the gap could be one point come Friday tea-time if the Seasiders win at Scunthorpe.

That’s a couple of big ifs, especially as Scunthorpe, another struggling side, will make it every bit as tough for Holloway’s men as Plymouth did.

But how ironic, given Holloway’s past, that Pool are now battling for the final play-off berth with Leicester.

What a sweet moment it would be for the manager if he could catch and overtake the only club he has failed at as a boss.

Whatever happens, with six games remaining it is all bubbling up nicely and looks set to be a fantastic finish.

Pool are well and truly in the thick of it thanks to a fantastic last week which saw them claim seven points from nine.

Since half-time in the Crystal Palace game, they have conceded only one goal in 225 minutes of football while scoring nine. That’s a goal every 25 minutes - not bad at all.

Here, after Holloway had taken his seat in the dugout and the important business of the football began, Plymouth were the better side, despite losing their skipper Carl Fletcher only four minutes in.

He suffered a badly gashed knee in a collision with Keith Southern. The Pool midfielder was booked, but harshly - it was a complete accident, whatever the view of Paul Mariner (who throughout the 90 minutes bounced spectacularly around his technical area like a prepubescent who’d guzzled too much fizzy pop).

Alan Judge miskicked when through on goal, the lively Yannick Bolasie slammed shots into the side-netting and at Matt Gilks, and the Seasiders keeper made a great stop from Bradley Wright-Phillips before Alex Baptiste bravely blocked the rebound.

Seamus Coleman then threw his body in the way of Jamie Mackie’s close-range shot.

Meanwhile, Pool’s best effort was a shot from 30 yards from Charlie Adam which went over.

It got worse moments before the break when Stephen Crainey’s knee went. Joe Martin came on.

Holloway didn’t reveal what he said to the players at half-time, or how loudly and forcefully he said it, but it had an effect.

His players were transformed after the break and Ben Burgess should have scored immediately, but couldn’t beat keeper David Stockdale after latching onto Luke Summerfield’s loose header.

After a quiet first half, Adam suddenly came to the fore - or at least his right foot did.

With the leg he only usually uses to stand on, the Scot curled a lovely long range effort against the inside of the post.

Then he thumped a thunderbolt of a right footer towards the top corner, only to see Stockdale pull off a truly remarkable save.

It seemed it wasn’t going to be Adam’s day. Au contraire... With 12 minutes to go and after Holloway had made a shrewd double substitution, replacing Jason Euell and Billy Clarke with Dobbie and Barry Bannan, Adam struck.

The impressive Martin deserves credit for a lovely ball in the build-up, Dobbie produced a clever backheel and Adam did the rest.

He drilled a low angled shot this time with his favoured left foot into the bottom corner. It was his 16th goal of a remarkable season.

Four minutes later it was 2-0 and game over. It came from another move down the left, masterminded by the quick feet of Bannan.

Adam helped it into the path of Dobbie, who showed good composure to finish past the advancing Stockdale.

Bannan could have added a third while at the other end. Mackie, meanwhile, kept trying for the hosts but didn’t get the goal he deserved.

Probably the best player on the pitch on the day, the Plymouth frontman twice tested Gilks after beating Baptiste and Ian Evatt. He also had a freekick tipped over with the last kick of the game.

Holloway sensibly didn’t celebrate at the end, walking straight down the tunnel. He didn’t need to do or say anything. The result was enough. Job done.

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League on 15:42 - Mar 27 with 301 viewsspell_chekker

Wasn't it Holloway himself who paid for the coaches?

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League on 06:14 - Mar 29 with 295 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Ian Holloway hits back at Plymouth fans after winning return to Home Park

Blackpool boss Ian Holloway produced a passionate response when asked about the reception he received from his former club Plymouth Argyle.

He was speaking after the Seasiders claimed a crucial 2-0 win at Home Park courtesy of goals from Charlie Adam and Stephen Dobbie.

It capped off a positive return to Devon for Holloway, who had left Argyle to join Leicester City in 2007.

“We won, so my return to Home Park was all right,” Holloway said.

“Who the hell are they to say what I felt when I was here? I played with passion and I manage with passion, and I think the Plymouth fans believed every word I said when I was here and now they are calling me a liar.

“But they didn’t know about my family situation. They didn’t know what was going on.

“They didn’t know one of my daughters’ education went horribly wrong here. She had to redo a whole year.

“The Leicester situation put my daughter back in her old school and now she has nine GCSEs. So how dare they scream and shout at me.

“But they can because I can’t stop them and I wouldn’t want to. I am a human being. They can think what they want.

“All I know is that I had a very good team when I was here and unfortunately the board decided to sell. That’s how it goes.

“But do I want Plymouth to go down? No, of course not. That’s why I didn’t celebrate our win.

“I think Plymouth have some exciting players and I think (manager) Paul Mariner is doing a great job. I wish them all the best.

“Their front lads are a handful on any given day. They work hard and I think Jamie Mackie has had a terrific season. He never stops.

“Bradley Wright-Phillips has played in the top flight and is still only a young man.

“What we’ve got to do is try to impose our game and I think we did that in the second half. I didn’t think we got the balance in midfield quite right. We played a little bit too far advanced.

“It was almost 4-2-4 rather than a 4-2-1-3, which I wanted. But second half we sorted it out, got a couple of breakaway goals and we denied them the chance to do that.”

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League on 23:27 - Mar 30 with 289 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Brett Ormerod and Stephen Crainey may not play again this season.

Ormerod has had surgery on a fractured hand, while Crainey will see a specialist this week about the knee injury which forced him off in Pool’s latest Championship game, the 2-0 victory at Plymouth.

The pair are key men in the squad but boss Ian Holloway says he will not take any risks with either in the final six games, even though Pool are chasing a play-off place.

The latest injury setbacks took the shine off the Seasiders’ solid victory against second-bottom Argyle, which lifted Pool to within four points of the top six.

It was a hugely satisfying result for Holloway, who made a triumphant return to Home Park on his first visit since leaving the club to take over at Leicester City in 2007.

He had to take some stick from the home fans as many still haven’t forgiven him for departing.

“It’s an emotional day but it was bound to be,” admitted Holloway.

“Plymouth as a club meant a lot to me while I was there. Their fans can say what they like — I know how I felt.

“I didn’t celebrate when we scored or when the final whistle went because I didn’t want to. I didn’t feel like it.

“I was part of that place for a while and I enjoyed my time at the club. So good luck to them.

“I have got a new job and I’m getting on with my life, which is all that matters, and I hope they can thrive in the future too.”

Pool got a little lucky in the first half, when Plymouth had the better chances.

Holloway felt his players got caught up in the emotion of the occasion in the opening 45 minutes.

“My players knew how much this game meant to me and I think they got caught up in all the emotion swirling about,” he said.

“Plymouth pushed us hard in the first half but luckily we came in 0-0.

“A couple of words were said at the interval because basically we just had to calm down and think about where we were putting the ball.

“We were much better after the break and I always thought we’d score, even after Charlie Adam had hit the post and had another great shot saved.

“The first goal was absolutely vital.”

Emotion apart, a sure sign of a positive sporting spirit between the teams was in evidence when Keith Southern knocked on the Plymouth dressing room door to check on the condition of an opponent who came off second-best in a challenge against him.

The Seasiders midfielder went in for a 50-50 with Pilgrims skipper Carl Fletcher, with the game just four minutes old.

Southern accidentally caught Fletcher on the knee and opened a wound which required 12 stitches.

Fletcher limped straight off and played no further part in the contest. Southern was booked.

Afterwards Plymouth boss Paul Mariner questioned whether the challenge would have earned a red card had it happened later in the game.

But Southern revealed he went into the Plymouth dressing room afterwards and Fletcher had no hard feelings about the tackle, admitting the contact had occurred because he slipped.

Holloway defended his player, saying: “I thought Keith and Carl Fletcher both went for a tackle and I can’t believe Paul was jumping around on the line.

“I understand it — you have to have passion — but I didn’t see many bad decisions or bad challenges.

“But we’re already safe and Paul isn’t, so I understand. We’re in that sort of industry and I wish him all the very best with getting Plymouth safe.”

Mariner, who felt losing his captain so early in the contest had a major bearing on the game, was critical of Southern’s challenge. He said: “My captain needed 12 stitches in the knee and I wasn’t very happy with the tackle at all.

“The previous Saturday at Scunthorpe, my full-back got hammered, was carried off the field and went to hospital for an X-ray.

“His ankle was like a balloon but the ref didn’t see anything.

“Maybe there’s been a mandate from the Football League saying there are a lot of players on eight bookings and they don’t want them to miss the end of the season.”

Southern has an excellent disciplinary record and has been sent off only once in his career, in a League Cup tie at Macclesfield 18 months ago.

His midfield partner Charlie Adam, meanwhile, is now the second-highest goalscorer in the Championship after his opener at Plymouth.

Only Cardiff’s Peter Whittingham, with 18, has been more prolific than Adam, who has 15 league goals.

Adam admits he’s a touch surprised at how many he’s scored. But the good news for Pool fans is that the Scot has no intention of stopping just yet and is aiming for more in the final six games.

“I am surprising myself a bit with how many goals I’ve got,” he said. “But at the same time I know I can get in the positions to score the goals.

“It’s just about trying to convert chances and luckily enough I have managed to do that so far this season.

“Personally it is great to get what I’ve got but I want more. There are still six games to go and hopefully I’ll get some more opportunities that I can convert.

“To be the second-top goalscorer at the moment is great but it is not just about me scoring goals — it is about everybody. The team performance is the most important thing.

“Overall we’ve done well all season and we’ve only really let ourselves down in a handful of games.

“That’s the main thing — that the team keeps winning.

“We knew we had to win on Saturday. It doesn’t matter whether Cardiff won or lost — we have to win every game we play in.

“To come to a place like Plymouth and win 2-0 is a good result for us.

“It pushes us up the ladder and we can take confidence going into the next two games against Scunthorpe and Doncaster.

“We are four points off the play-off places, so we’ve got to take each game as it comes and try to keep stringing results together.”

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League on 14:02 - Apr 1 with 275 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Ian Holloway is “absolutely buzzing” at the prospect of trying to cap a sensational first season in charge by leading Blackpool into the Championship play-offs.

But he’s labelled tomorrow’s trip to Scunthorpe as the toughest game of the season and admitted that his players can’t afford to slip up.

His squad will be boosted by the return of fit-again DJ Campbell and Hameur Bouazza.

David Vaughan has also made a quicker than expected recovery from a foot injury and could start.

Stephen Crainey (knee) and Brett Ormerod (fractured hand) are out, and will miss both tomorrow’s game and the Easter Monday visit of Doncaster.

That’s a blow but it hasn’t dampened Holloway’s spirits as he enters the make or break stage of the campaign.

“I am absolutely buzzing I have to say, I’m loving every minute of this,” said the manager.

“I am pleased for the lads that we’re doing well and in with a chance because they’ve been so good all season they deserve it.

“If you think about the games we’ve lost, we’ve still been in with a chance in nearly all of them.

“There have been only three performances where we haven’t done very well, all involving Sheffield — United away and Wednesday away and home. We let ourselves down in those.

“But the rest of the season has been an absolute joy and I think we’ve played some fantastic football.

“The lads are improving. They are gaining belief as a group, although they are having to learn as we go on because they are not used to being in this position.

“They are more used to a dogfight than a promotion chase.

“But they’ve been magnificent and I honestly think that every single one of them has done this club proud.

“I think they’ve worn this shirt with pride. They’ve given me everything they’ve got.”

The players will have to keep putting the effort in for a little while longer though, for the next half-dozen fixtures are crucial to Pool’s chances of making the top six.

Holloway feels his team must get something from every game.

“We’ve given ourselves no margin for error. That is the truth,” he said.

“If you’d have said to me that, with six games left, we’d be four points off the playoffs in seventh place, I’d have ripped your arm off, so we are delighted to be where we are.

“But we’ve had a couple of bad games that have caused us to drop out of the top six.

“Two games ago you’d have thought we were dead and buried but football is a funny game.

“I want us to nick as many points as we can, but I do really think we need to get every point if we are going to catch the teams above us.”

The final push begins tomorrow against a Scunthorpe side that are scrapping for their lives at the bottom end of the division, followed by the home match with play-off rivals Doncaster.

“The next two matches are huge,” added Holloway.

“The challenge I’ve set to the lads is ‘can we give ourselves a chance to get in the play-offs by the last game of the season?’

“There will be some twists and turns but all we’ve got to try and do is put the pressure on the people above us immediately, starting tomorrow.

“It is the toughest game of the season I think. Scunthorpe have won the last three games and they are fighting for their lives.

“We had a very tough game against them at our place in November. We were 10 down. They got a man sent off and we managed to beat them 4-1 but until that it was such a tough game.”

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/ian-holloway-buoy

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League on 08:07 - Apr 2 with 270 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Ian Holloway is “absolutely buzzing” at the prospect of trying to cap a sensational first season in charge by leading Blackpool into the Championship play-offs.

But he’s labelled tomorrow’s trip to Scunthorpe as the toughest game of the season and admitted that his players can’t afford to slip up.

His squad will be boosted by the return of fit-again DJ Campbell and Hameur Bouazza.

David Vaughan has also made a quicker than expected recovery from a foot injury and could start.

Stephen Crainey (knee) and Brett Ormerod (fractured hand) are out, and will miss both tomorrow’s game and the Easter Monday visit of Doncaster.

That’s a blow but it hasn’t dampened Holloway’s spirits as he enters the make or break stage of the campaign.

“I am absolutely buzzing I have to say, I’m loving every minute of this,” said the manager.

“I am pleased for the lads that we’re doing well and in with a chance because they’ve been so good all season they deserve it.

“If you think about the games we’ve lost, we’ve still been in with a chance in nearly all of them.

“There have been only three performances where we haven’t done very well, all involving Sheffield — United away and Wednesday away and home. We let ourselves down in those.

“But the rest of the season has been an absolute joy and I think we’ve played some fantastic football.

“The lads are improving. They are gaining belief as a group, although they are having to learn as we go on because they are not used to being in this position.

“They are more used to a dogfight than a promotion chase.

“But they’ve been magnificent and I honestly think that every single one of them has done this club proud.

“I think they’ve worn this shirt with pride. They’ve given me everything they’ve got.”

The players will have to keep putting the effort in for a little while longer though, for the next half-dozen fixtures are crucial to Pool’s chances of making the top six.

Holloway feels his team must get something from every game.

“We’ve given ourselves no margin for error. That is the truth,” he said.

“If you’d have said to me that, with six games left, we’d be four points off the playoffs in seventh place, I’d have ripped your arm off, so we are delighted to be where we are.

“But we’ve had a couple of bad games that have caused us to drop out of the top six.

“Two games ago you’d have thought we were dead and buried but football is a funny game.

“I want us to nick as many points as we can, but I do really think we need to get every point if we are going to catch the teams above us.”

The final push begins tomorrow against a Scunthorpe side that are scrapping for their lives at the bottom end of the division, followed by the home match with play-off rivals Doncaster.

“The next two matches are huge,” added Holloway.

“The challenge I’ve set to the lads is ‘can we give ourselves a chance to get in the play-offs by the last game of the season?’

“There will be some twists and turns but all we’ve got to try and do is put the pressure on the people above us immediately, starting tomorrow.

“It is the toughest game of the season I think. Scunthorpe have won the last three games and they are fighting for their lives.

“We had a very tough game against them at our place in November. We were 10 down. They got a man sent off and we managed to beat them 4-1 but until that it was such a tough game.”

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/ian-holloway-buoy

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League on 10:10 - Apr 3 with 266 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

The Seasiders reduced the gap to the Championship play-offs to just one point on Good Friday with a fabulous victory at Glanford Park.

An own goal, a DJ Campbell brace and a Seamus Coleman solo effort saw Holloway’s men claim a third straight win.

The Pool boss was understandably delighted about the result, which heaped more pressure on the top six with just five games remaining.

Holloway said: “It was a fantastic game of football. Both sides were nervy as there was so much at stake.

“But to come to a place like Scunthorpe and win like we did was a terrific three points.

“They were on a roll. They had won their last three games.

“But the strength in depth that I’ve managed to get on the team coach, because players have come back to fitness, really did show on the day.

“It did at Plymouth, when Stephen Dobbie came on. It is a squad effort and the exciting options we have going forward is very pleasing.”

On Gary Taylor-Fletcher’s missed second-half chance with the score at 1-1 at Scunthorpe, Holloway added: “ I know we’ve got people who can score and Gary is absolutely vital to what we do.

“I thought Charlie Adam was going to shoot and probably Fletch did.

“But he rolled it across and it was a great save from their keeper (Joe Murphy) — we know he makes good saves.

“But I didn’t think that would be our last chance and luckily it wasn’t.

“Even if it had ended 1-1, I wouldn’t have been upset with Taylor-Fletcher at all because you have to have four chances to score a goal usually whoever you are — Taylor-Fletcher or Ruud van Nistelrooy.

“Fletch is a fantastic player for us. He has been involved in the last four games, where we’ve got 10 out of 12 points.

“With the score at 1-1, the second goal scored by Seamus Coleman was crucial but everything is crucial.”

Not for the first time, Holloway then went off at a slight tangent: “Did you see Deal Or No Deal the other day?

“A lady had seven boxes left and she chose the £75,000 but that went.

“There was only a £10,000 box left and the rest were blues, which are not what you want, as anyone who watches the show will know.

“But she saw it all the way through and she had £10,000 in her box and she took it and well done to her. She wouldn’t gamble but how lucky was she?

“So we need to open every box from now until the end of the season and hopefully there will be at least £10,000 in there.

“Because if we lose a game or drop a point, we are likely to fail.”

“But if you ask me whether we will fail… I don’t think we possibly could this year. That is a fresh attitude to go into the last five games.

“But I do know we’ve got one thing if you open our box: we can score and we are going to need to do it.

“We also let some in but I thought we got the balance right on the day.”

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/ian-holloway-scun

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League on 09:44 - Apr 4 with 256 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Ian Holloway dares to dream but bans the use of the word 'promotion' with five games remaining

Ian Holloway’s Blackpool are a single point off a play-off place and set for a thrilling end to the season… but you still won’t catch the manager mentioning the ‘ P’ word.

Any talk of promotion to the promised land of the Premier League is banned, despite the thumping 4-2 victory at Scunthorpe United on Good Friday which - coupled with Leicester’s 3-0 defeat by West Brom - lifts Pool right into the mix.

The Seasiders scored three goals in the space of six minutes late in the game to seal a thrilling three points and a third win on the bounce.

It led one over-eager journalist to mention the possibility of a play-off final trip to Wembley to Holloway, which was met with this response.

“Why is anyone mentioning Wembley? Is there a game there tomorrow or something?" he said.

“I am not looking at the play-offs at all. How can we? We are still behind other people in what is now a mini-season of 15 points.

“I know where I want to get and I know what the boys want, but you can’t look that far ahead. You’ve got to deal with every single match.

“If we’d lost at Scunthorpe where would we have been and what chance would we have had?

“There are other people in the mix and we have to play one of them in Doncaster on Monday.

“It is great to dream. We’re all in the gutter but I am looking at the stars.

“But what I am trying to say is that in these games you have to earn the right to win. We had to pay Scunthorpe respect.

“The lads’ attitude on the day was spot on and that’s what it has to continue to be like. But I am not going to get carried away because there are five matches left.

“The Blackpool fans and I know how good some of my players are and the chance that we have got. We’ve got to be optimistic and I have been all season.

“But I’m not going to get carried away and start thinking about things because there is too far to go yet.

“Newcastle haven’t been beaten all season at home and we have to go there and win to give ourselves a chance. How realistic is that?

“Are we good enough to make the play-offs? Can I wear a wig and dance in high heels? Of course we can.

“But we’ll have to keep this level of performance up and then we’ll have to see if it’s good enough."

Success at Scunthorpe came six days after the win at Plymouth and means Pool’s away form has suddenly drastically improved - they’ve now won six on the road.

“It’s about time really, isn’t it?" admitted Holloway.

“Maybe I got my tactics wrong earlier in the season. Maybe I was saying the wrong things.

“There was pressure at Scunthorpe because we knew we needed to win and we did.

“These wins we’re getting may be too late, but what a fantastic platform to build on for next year."

Such is the strength of Holloway’s squad he could bring on DJ Campbell, David Vaughan and Hameur Bouazza yesterday with the game delicately poised at 1-1

All three contributed to securing victory but Campbell took the headlines for two goals in a 12-minute cameo. He could also have had a couple more.

Holloway was delighted for the striker, who had missed the previous three games with a thigh injury.

“When DJ Campbell is fit, that is what he does - score goals," said the boss.

“He had been trying to play for three games with a sore thigh. I know why he did it but I forced him to take a break and get properly fit.

“He took being on the bench in the right way, like David Vaughan. DJ was fantastic."

Speaking after the Scunthorpe win, Campbell admitted he was made to have a rest against his wishes.

The striker wasn’t pleased about missing matches at such a crucial stage of the season, but he now admits the manager was right and the good news is that it is the team which will reap the benefits.

“What happened is that I pulled my thigh in February at Barnsley, but I tried to play on in the next few matches," said the on-loan Leicester frontman.

“I wasn’t feeling great though. The problem was getting worse. I was finding it more difficult to run and couldn’t kick with my left foot really.

“The gaffer pulled me to one side and said ‘I know you want to play every week but you’re not 100 per cent’. So he suggested I take a break.

“I hate doing that because I don’t like missing games but with hindsight it was sensible and the right thing to do because I couldn’t do what I wanted to on the pitch with the injury I had.

“I had a little rest and got treatment and missed three games.

“The lads did really well in those matches, so full credit to them, but I was delighted to come back against Scunthorpe and it was great to come off the bench and score a couple of goals and help us get the three points.

“Hopefully people could see the difference in the Scunthorpe match. When I came on I felt much fitter and sharper, and I am playing pain free again now, which is great."

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/ian-holloway-dare

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League on 12:32 - Apr 5 with 252 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

There was a tremendous irony in the fact that DJ Campbell and Stephen Dobbie got the goals to secure this latest ‘can it really be happening?’ victory.

Campbell is on loan from Leicester City, while Dobbie has been borrowed from Swansea City - the very two clubs Pool are fighting tooth and nail with for a play-off place.

From the point of view of a Leicester and Swansea fan it must seem ridiculous. It’s a bit like Gordon Brown lending the Conservative Party Alistair Darling and Jack Straw for the next couple of months.

But that ain’t Pool’s problem, as they once again benefited from the goals of their two loanees.

Campbell scored his fifth - a poacher’s effort from close range while Dobbie has four. It was a pearler, but then again Dobbie isn’t the type to score straightforward tap-ins.

A pity the results from Leicester and Swansea couldn’t make it a perfect afternoon. But let’s face it, Pool had got lucky in the days before when just about every other scoreline had gone for them after the Good Friday win at Scunthorpe. It would have been greedy to expect the same good fortune again.

No matter. A fourth successive victory will do nicely, which makes it a very satisfying 12 points from the last 15 and the reason Pool are in contention.

Everywhere you looked at Bloomfield Road, there were delirious looking fans wandering around in a daze - some of them, even at this late stage of the season, still muttering ‘this can’t last’.

Well, I’ve news for you. It can last because the team is so obviously oozing with confidence.

Even Saturday’s toughest of trips to promoted Newcastle is being relished rather than feared.

Four games to go. Four unthinkably big games. And if the fans and the manager are nervous, spare a thought for Karl Oyston. He’s potentially a month or so away from £30m.

Why, we might even get an East Stand with a roof and a pitch with some grass on…

It still sounds faintly ridiculous to be talking about the notion of the Seasiders making the Premier League. That’s because of the last three horrible decades, when to Blackpool fans getting to the top flight of English football has been as likely as Huw Edwards performing a striptease and singing ‘Hey Macarena’ while reading the 10 o’clock news.

So even now, with the club a single point off the top six and with a super chance of making the end-of-season playoffs, the supporters still can’t quite believe it.

That might irritate Ian Holloway a little. But can you blame us? After all it’s not that long ago we were watching the likes John O’Kane, Kirk Hilton and Zarko Grabovac (remember him?) lose dismally at places like Rushden & Diamonds. Back then we celebrated throw-ins.

The club has come such a long way since those dark days. It’s the best it’s been since, well, probably 1970 when the club last made it to the top flight.

It’s going to be nervy over the next four weeks but we should enjoy every minute. Whether the club makes it to the play-offs or not, it has been one hell of a season and totally out of the blue.

Holloway and his staff have worked wonders, this latest victory against Doncaster once again typifying how much they’ve improved in the last nine or so months.

Up against a very good footballing side - the best in the division according to Holloway - the Seasiders were disciplined and determined, and deservedly eked out a victory.

The manager made four changes (he can afford to do that because the squad is so ridiculously strong, especially up front), bringing in DJ Campbell, Hameur Bouazza, David Vaughan and Stephen Crainey - the latter regaining fitness after a knee problem was a real bonus.

Put simply, Crainey is one of the best full-backs you could hope to see at this level.

Mind you it was the lad on the opposite side who really caught the eye yesterday. 21-year-old Seamus Coleman was a joy to watch as he foraged forward from the right back position and gave Doncaster problems all afternoon.

The only mystery was how he didn’t follow up his Good Friday goal at Scunthorpe with another.

Whatever, Everton boss David Moyes, who allowed Coleman out on loan, must have been impressed as he watched from the director’s box.

Coleman was possibly man of the match, though I felt Alex Baptiste, tremendously solid at the heart of the back four, just edged it.

The whole defence, though, plus keeper Matt Gilks, who made a couple of saves at vital times, were terrific - a clean sheet against a Doncaster side so swift going forward is proof of that.

It was an absorbing rather than a thrilling contest, Pool always in control but Doncaster dangerous whenever attacking.

The Seasiders went ahead on 27 minutes, when Crainey whipped in a cross and Rovers left back Gareth Roberts diverted the ball against his post.

Campbell, as all good strikers should, reacted quickest and forced the ball in from close range.

The star of the rest of the half was the linesman, who, given how often he raised his flag, is presumably in a clinic today being treated for RSI.

It seemed that Blackpool couldn’t cross the halfway line without the ref’s assistant waving his flag like an overenthusiastic punter during Land of Hope and Glory at the Last Night of the Proms.

Doubtless some of his decisions were correct, but I’d wager many weren’t.

Gilks produced a great save in first half stoppage time to deny Paul Heffernan, who had sneaked in at the back post unmarked.

Heffernan had been a last minute addition to the teamsheet, recalled from a loan spell at Bristol Rovers on the morning of the game.

In fact he pulled up in the Bloomfield Road car park an hour before kick-off still wearing his Bristol Rovers training kit.

Despite his lack of preparation, he was Doncaster’s main threat and Crainey had to clear off the line at the start of the second period when Heffernan nutmegged Gilks from a tight angle.

Sent clear by Campbell, Bouazza missed a great chance to increase the lead on 54 minutes, though credit to Neil Sullivan - the veteran keeper proving that life really does begin at 40, pulling off a top quality stop.

Heffernan lobbed Gilks but missed the target and James Hayter crashed Roberts’ cross against the bar.

Let offs for Pool, and they made Rovers pay.

On 68 minutes, 115 seconds after replacing Bouazza, Dobbie profited from some great work by Vaughan and beat Sullivan with a pinpoint shot into the top corner.

Campbell could have made it three but delayed his shot after scampering clear. But it really didn’t matter.

Pool rather strolled to victory, playing out time in a professional manner, like all the best teams do.

Now it’s Newcastle and fortress St James Park. Tough, but the way this Blackpool team is playing, certainly not impossible.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/blackpool-make-it

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League on 10:01 - Apr 7 with 240 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Ian Holloway doesn't want rollercoaster season to end

Ian Holloway admits he is enjoying the season so much he doesn’t want it to end … and says with a bit of luck it will last three extra matches.

The Seasiders recorded their fourth straight win by beating Doncaster, giving their play-off hopes another major boost and ruining Rovers’ chances in the process.

Victories for Leicester City and Swansea City though mean it’s as you were — Pool remain a point from a play-off place.

The final four games will be tense affairs, but for Holloway it’s a case of bring them on — he is loving every minute.

“I am bursting with pride and everything at this club is fantastic,” said the boss, visibly delighted after Pool’s latest three-point haul.

“The players are rocking, the support is rocking. Who knows what is going to happen but we’ve four games left and we are still in with a shout.

“If we lose the next game, and then the next one after that, maybe our season will be finished.

“But if we don’t… wouldn’t it be fantastic to go into the last game against Bristol City, even if it is like it is now, just a point or two away from the top six?

“It would be terrifically exciting. I wouldn’t be able to sleep for a week before.

“Mind you I couldn’t sleep on Sunday night to be fair.

“I was going over my options and what team I’d pick — I just couldn’t wait for the game.

“The lads did me proud again and although the other results went against us on the day, we have given ourselves a right good chance.

“All I can say is that I am loving it and I don’t want the season to end.

“Can we get some extra games on the end of the season? Who knows, but what a fantastic journey this has been.”

Pool’s victory means they have taken 12 points from the last 15, at a stage of the season when the pressure is the greatest.

Holloway believes that is the sign of a fine team.

“It’s the sign of strength in depth and a good team to get that number of points when you need them,” said the manager.

“We had a little spell where we didn’t have as many options. Against Swansea I put Danny Mitchley as sub. So since then we’ve had a number of players who have got fit again.

“I am flabbergasted by how good the squad is. We had 12 strikers at one time.

“Everybody was moaning when I added Stephen Dobbie and DJ Campbell to the ones I had here. But a few got injured so it was the right thing to do.

“If you look at one of our best performances of the season — Swansea at home — the lad who scored two in that game has had an operation on his hand, but even without Brett Ormerod the lads have carried on.

“Neal Eardley has been out but it looks like Seamus Coleman — on loan from Everton — grew up here. What a fantastic player he is.

“So it is all about growing and building and sticking together, and we have some fantastic players.

“Unfortunately so has the rest of the league as well.

“But for what we are doing here and what we are paying our boys, I am absolutely bursting with pride for them. They have deserved this.”

The Seasiders’ next test couldn’t be tougher — a trip to Newcastle United, who have already been promoted back to the Premier League and are unbeaten at home all season.

Then Pool welcome Nottingham Forest and travel to Peterborough, before closing the campaign with a home match against Bristol City.

“Obviously the closer to the end of the season the harder it gets for us and the more the pressure builds,” added Holloway.

“But when you get close to that finish line you never know what is going to happen.

“To produce wins when you need to means you have to be able to finish and that’s what pleased me about yesterday — the quality of the finishing was absolutely outstanding.

“But we have good players all over the pitch, not just up front. The lads deserve massive credit.”

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/ian-holloway-does

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League on 15:57 - Apr 8 with 229 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Goalscorers DJ Campbell and Stephen Dobbie will stay at Blackpool throughout the play-offs, should the Seasiders get that far.

Seamus Coleman, whose loan deal runs out next Wednesday, also wants to stay for longer and “help the club win promotion”.

“We’ll see what Everton have to say and whatever both teams want is what matters,” said Coleman, 21, who has made a real impression at right back — Pool are unbeaten in five games since he joined.

“I’d love to stay and help us get promoted. But if I have to go back then that’s the way it is. I just have to do whatever I’m told but hopefully it can be sorted.”

Pool will open talks with Everton in the next few days. But for strike duo Campbell and Dobbie there is no need.

Both are signed until May 31 to allow them to take part in the play-offs, should the Seasiders get that far.

However, there is a clause in the deals which means neither could face their parent clubs in the play-offs — Campbell couldn’t play against Leicester City, Dobbie against Swansea City.

The fact that the pair are scoring goals for the Seasiders has caused some mutterings among Leicester and Swansea fans, who can’t understand why their players are at a club vying with them for a play-off place.

Holloway admits it was a tidy piece of business to get the pair, but says Leicester and Swansea weren’t to know how well the duo would perform.

“We’ve all ended up as managers loaning out people who have done well elsewhere,” said the Pool boss.

“I have watched Ishmel Demontagnac for Chesterfield in the last couple of games and he has scored and won a couple of penalties.

“The Chesterfield fans will probably be thinking ‘how come he can’t get in the Blackpool team?’ So we’ve all got people that we are trying to bring on and nurture and sometimes you let them out on loan.

“It’s not even a case of a face not fitting sometimes. It’s just the fact that a certain manager wants to do something… and we’ve benefited from that (with Dobbie and Campbell).”

It’s an odd situation for both players, who find themselves in the strange position of battling against their parent clubs for a play-off place.

“It does feel odd but the fact is that I am here until May and I want to do my best for Blackpool. If that means us getting in the play-offs then so be it,” said Campbell.

“I’ll probably be Judas if we do get in there and Leicester don’t!

“But I’ve had my time at Leicester and things haven’t really worked out for whatever reason.

“I’m at Blackpool until May and while I’m here I’m going to do the best I can for the club.”

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/loan-stars-risk-u

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League on 08:26 - Apr 10 with 219 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Off the pitch, there is a world of difference between Newcastle and Blackpool.

St James’ Park is a quite stunning stadium, so big the Seasiders supporters in the fourth tier of the stand must have felt like they were watching the game from a hot air balloon.

The pitch is magnificent, the press room like a mansion. The media were given a menu ( a menu?) before the game which began with the words ‘ Today’s starter Sweet Potato and Cumin Soup’.

Blimey. I remember going to Chesterfield a few years ago and getting one mince pie, which we had a bite of then passed to the next person.

So, as I say, a big difference off the pitch but Ian Holloway had hoped his players would prove the gulf wasn’t so big on it.

Alas, he was to be disappointed as the Magpies already promoted and clearly in full party mode gave Pool a bit of a footballing lesson and won with ease.

Holloway was disappointed with his players, feeling they hadn’t done themselves justice. He had a point. However, the bottom line is that the Seasiders came up against a side playing great football and quite clearly the best team in the division.

Newcastle possess quality players in every position and there is a good reason why they are on the verge of going through a full season unbeaten at home. So perhaps this defeat, though painful, shouldn’t be too unexpected. And let’s be honest, there wasn’t really too much damage done.

Swansea’s defeat at Bristol City was a huge bonus and means the gap is still only two points.

Granted there’s now a game fewer for Pool to muscle their way into the top six but their superior goal difference over the Swans is important. Swansea know they can’t afford to even draw a game. The pressure is on them.

While it’s not quite advantage, those in tangerine ( they’re two points behind, how could it be?), this defeat certainly hasn’t done any terminal damage.

Mind you, it did make me wonder what life would be like in the Premier League, should Pool pull off the unthinkable and not only make the playoffs but win them.

The excitement before kickoff at being at St James’ Park was tangible. But by half-time and with Pool two down, the thrill was already wearing thin.

It would be the same, would it not, at Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge and Anfield? After all, football’s only really truly enjoyable when your team is winning. That said, I’d like to find out. The Premier League is where it’s at and even if it was for just one season, it would be lovely to experience it.

But as the manager will tell you, Blackpool will have to play a lot better than they did on Saturday if they are to have serious intentions of making it to the promised land.

For in truth Newcastle didn’t have to do too much to earn their win. I actually thought Holloway’s team played well first half, just conceded two bad goals an Alex Baptiste-Seamus Coleman mix-up in the build-up to the first, a cheap free-kick conceded for the second.

Aside from that the Seasiders looked comfortable and had the majority of the possession. And had DJ Campbell converted after being sent clear by a peach of a pass from Charlie Adam with the contest delicately poised at 10, it could have been a different tale.

Campbell missed though, Newcastle scored again shortly afterwards and then in the second half demonstrated their class by really turning on the style.

Thankfully Pool fought back towards the end and it was nothing more than the brilliant Blackpool fans packed into the ground deserved when Brett Ormerod snatched a consolation.

At least the positive manner in which they ended the game will stand the team in good stead for the next three fixtures.

Holloway made one change from the side which beat Doncaster last Monday, replacing the injured Hameur Bouazza with Ben Burgess. The atmosphere was terrific beforehand, and it was great to see a brass band marching around the pitch just like in the good old days.

Pool didn’t seem overawed by the surroundings. They settled well and created a half chance when Gary TaylorFletcher found space inside the area but snatched at his shot.

Then on 12 minutes (and out of the blue), Newcastle struck. Mind you, it wasn’t half flukey. Baptiste collided with Coleman on the right of the defence, allowing Jonas Gutierrez to sprint into the area.

The winger tried to square the ball but it hit Ian Evatt and went in. Cruel.

On 18 minutes the big moment. Campbell latched onto Adam’s long pass and had two choices shoot past Harper or square to the unmarked Keith Southern.

In the end he did neither, scuffing a shot into Harper’s grateful arms. It wasn’t like Campbell, normally so good in those positions, to waste such a chance. It proved costly as the Magpies increased their advantage nine minutes before the break.

Taylor-Fletcher was adjudged to have fouled Danny Guthrie in a dangerous position on the right of the area. Guthrie delivered the free-kick at pace and Andy Carroll glanced in goal number 17 for the season.

Given the press about Carroll, I wanted to dislike him. But it’s hard not to be impressed with his strength, skill and scoring ability he really looked a fine striker.

Pool seemed shell-shocked and little wonder. They had played some good football throughout the half but found themselves two behind.

Still, if they could play in the same manner after the break then surely they might be able to nick a goal back? But there lay the problem, for the Seasiders just didn’t come out for the second period.

Instead Newcastle steamrollered them. Peter Lovenkrands hit the post with a header. Then Gilks made a terrific double save from Gutierrez and Guthrie, before topping it by somehow keeping out a point-blank range header from Lovenkrands.

It wouldn’t be an exaggeration to suggest it was reminiscent of Gordon Banks’s stop from Pele in the 1970 World Cup.

But Gilks could do nothing when another Gutierrez run ended with a pass to Kevin Nolan, who was allowed to stroll through aBlackpool defence that suddenly seemed reluctant to tackle before tapping in from about a yard. Bad defending.

Carroll and Lovenkrands squandered clear opportunities before Wayne Routledge rounded off the home side’s scoring for the day, beating Stephen Crainey and Evatt too easily and emphatically hitting the target with an angled drive.

By this time Stephen Dobbie, Ormerod and Barry Bannan were all on as subs. And when Crainey’s dangerous ball into the box five minutes from the end was only half cleared, two of the replacements combined to grab a consolation.

Dobbie’s excellent left-footed drive was parried by Harper and Ormerod knocked in the rebound. Credit to Pool for pushing forward in the final few minutes Campbell glancing a header wide (it wasn’t his day) and Harper out quickly to deny Dobbie.

But there was no doubting the superior team, superior all season in fact. Well done Newcastle, a class side.

For Blackpool it’s a case of forget it and roll on Forest. And quite rightly so.

Defeat was a disappointment but certainly not a disaster, or given the quality of the opposition anything to be ashamed about. Swansea and sixth spot are still very much in the Seasiders sights.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/blackpool-well-be

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League on 10:24 - Apr 11 with 208 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Jimmy Armfield dares to dream as Seasiders remain in the play

Jimmy Armfield sees no reason why the Seasiders can’t realise their dream of promotion.

Exactly 40 years after the club were last promoted to the top flight in 1970, Armfield’s penultimate season as a player, Pool are vying for a top-six finish and a shot at the play-offs.

And club legend Armfield, who spent his entire playing career at Blackpool, is as excited as anyone.

“It really would be terrific if it happened,” he said. “People say to me that if we did get up we’d find it hard. Yes we would ... but let’s find out.

“People keep saying that if we got into the Premier League the club would get lots the money. Yes they would but that’s only one side to it.

“Let’s have a little bit of adventure, that would be the exciting thing.

“My last game for the club was against Manchester United. We played at Bloomfield Road and drew 1-1. Now surely we can do that again. Why not?

“Frankly I don’t think there is much between the top and bottom in the Championship. I saw Crystal Palace the other week, who are down at the bottom, but there isn’t much between them and Blackpool.

“The best two teams in the division have been Newcastle and West Brom.

“West Brom were very good when they came to Bloomfield Road but Newcastle were pretty ordinary.

“But it’s about doing it over a period of time and they have proved themselves since.

“Swansea, Nottingham Forest, Cardiff and Leicester are all trying to make it. Why not Blackpool? I think we’re as good as any of them.”

Meanwhile, Ian Holloway has ruled out being “ selfish” and risk wrecking Hameur Bouazza’s World Cup dream.

The Algerian wasn’t in the Seasiders squad for the visit to Newcastle United.

Instead he has gone abroad for further treatment on a groin injury that has troubled him since the turn of the year.

Bouazza saw a doctor in Germany last month, and returned to Blackpool pain-free and convinced the problem had been solved.

However, after making his first start of 2010 in the Easter Monday win over Doncaster, the 24-year-old experienced more pain.

It seems it is back to square one for the winger, who is desperate to play in the World Cup as well as in Pool’s promotion run-in and has been sent for further treatment.

That is a blow for Holloway, who feels Bouazza’s pace and directness is a valuable asset. But the manager won’t risk Bouazza’s chances of playing in South Africa in the summer by insisting he plays again for Pool this season.

“It’s a blow for us but unfortunately Hameur has experienced more pain in his groin,” explained Holloway.

“We’ve informed the Algerian FA and he will be taken to another specialist in God knows what country to get another opinion because it is very sore. It is very frustrating but that’s the way it goes.

“We want him to take part in the World Cup and that is my focus. I want him in my team at Blackpool but I wouldn’t be so selfish as to risk his World Cup dream.”

Bouazza is replaced in the squad at St James’ Park by Brett Ormerod. The striker missed the last three games with a fractured hand and will play in a protective cast.

And in typical Ormerod fashion, he wasted no time in showing the manager he was fit and desperate to feature against the Magpies.

Holloway added: “ Normally when that happens you are scared of falling over in training. But Brett was diving on the floor, trying to show me that he was fine. That speaks volumes about him.

“He’ll be on the trip but anyone who is even half-fit will be coming because I want my lads to experience this wonderful atmosphere that Newcastle will have.”

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/jimmy-armfield-da

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League on 11:47 - Apr 13 with 200 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Keith Southern says it is “all to play for” as Pool head into the final three games aiming to force their way into the play-off places.

No-one was more disappointed by the 4-1 defeat at Newcastle than Gateshead-born Southern, who supported the Magpies as a kid and was desperate to get a result at St James’ Park.

But the 28-year-old midfielder believes there will be more shocks in store before the season ends and says there is still time for the Seasiders to make the top six.

“Nothing was decided on Saturday — you only lose three points,” he said.

“There are still three games to play and nine points to fight for. We are still in there with a cracking shout.

“There are going to be twists and turns from now until the end of the season.

“I just think we have to keep our heads and go into each game now giving it our best shot.

“We will come in this week and start again, and we’ll look to pick up the three points against Nottingham Forest, it is as simple as that.

“There is no pressure. The manager hasn’t put any pressure on us whatsoever.

“He is proud of us this season, proud of the way we played, and he just wants us to finish the job now.”

There’s no doubt Pool’s next game at home to Forest is on paper the toughest.

After that they face a trip to Peterborough before hosting Bristol City on the final day.

Sixth-placed Swansea City, two points above Pool but with an inferior goal difference, have a trip to Sheffield United sandwiched between home games with Barnsley and Doncaster Rovers.

Leicester City, whose weekend win at Peterborough United stretched their advantage over Pool to four points, have home games with Watford and Middlesbrough and a trip to Preston North End.

Southern says there is no point trying to work out who has the toughest run of games.

He added: “If you look at it on paper, the neutrals would probably say Blackpool have the toughest finish.

“But in this league I’m not sure going to somewhere like Newcastle is any tougher than going to Sheffield United, Ipswich or Derby.

“Each game presents its own problems and it is all about how you apply yourself on the day. It is definitely still all to play for and it isn’t tense — it is exciting.

“We’ve got three games, three very tough games, but at the end of the day it is great to be in the position we are.

“How many times have Blackpool been on 63 points in the Championship with three games to play? What a wonderful feeling that is.

“Let’s not get too carried away with what we could maybe do in the last three games.

“But we are seventh, above a lot of teams with far bigger budgets and far greater spending power.

“So it’s credit to the boys that week in, week out they’ve given everything they’ve got.

“We’ve had the odd blip but more often than not we’ve got the results we wanted.”

The Seasiders switched their focus to their pivotal home game against Forest after being well-beaten by already-promoted Newcastle United at the weekend.

Despite the 4-1 reversal on Tyneside, Toon boss Chris Hughton believes the Seasiders have what it takes to make the top six.

“If I look at their team, I expect them to be in the playoffs,” said Hughton, whose team lost the reverse fixture 2-1 at Bloomfield Road in September.

“Their season has been a fair indication of what they’ve achieved. The league table doesn’t lie.”

As for Holloway, Hughton added: “ I know Ian. How you see him is how he is — a buoyant character.

“He enjoys life and football, and he makes the most of everything he’s got, which is also the message he gets to his players.

“You see it in his teams. Look at the job he’s done.

“They had a wonderful period, then a dip but then four straight wins.

“They have had wonderful season and they have a real chance of getting up.”

Pool take on Forest on Saturday, knowing they must take at least a point to keep the pressure on sixth-placed Swansea.

But it will be far from easy against a Forest side who stand third and have kept 20 clean sheets this season.

Their 3-0 win over Ipswich at the weekend guaranteed them a top-six finish — the third club manager Billy Davies has guided to the playoffs.

Forest assistant boss David Kelly said: “Billy’s experience will be vital because he has done it with three football clubs now. He takes an awful lot of credit because he has produced the goods at every club he has been at.

“Now we are in the play-offs, we want to go to Wembley and win.”

It means Forest won’t be taking it easy when they arrive at Bloomfield Road, and they will also be after revenge following Pool’s 1-0 victory at the City Ground in September.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/keith-southern-bu

Ten-year anniversary of Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League on 07:25 - Apr 16 with 183 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Seasiders handed major boost as Everton agree to extend Seamus Coleman's loan deal - 10 years on from Blackpool's promotion to the Premier League

Seamus Coleman has boosted the Seasiders’ chances of forcing their way into the top six by agreeing a new loan deal.

The Everton right-back will stay at Bloomfield Road until the end of the season and for the play-offs if Pool qualify.

And the 21-year-old says he’d love nothing more than for Everton to be playing Blackpool next year.

“I am delighted to get my loan extended for an extra few games and what makes it even better is that we’ve got something to play for,” Coleman said.

“Obviously if Everton wanted me back I would have gone, but I am happy to stay and try to make the top six.

“David Moyes spoke to me about extending the loan. He told me I was doing well and that he’d been watching.

“He has been giving me some advice and told me to look forward to the next few games.

“My aim — long-term — is to play in Everton’s first team but playing at Blackpool is giving me great experience.

“Hopefully, if I can do well here I might get into the Everton team.

“The best thing would be to have Blackpool in the Premier League next year as well. It would be brilliant to know that I’d played a small part in getting them there.

“But we’ll not look too far ahead. We’ve got a game on Saturday against Nottingham Forest and we’ll try to win that first.”

Coleman helped Pool embark on an unbeaten five-game run after joining from the Premier League but he tasted defeat for the first time last weekend at Newcastle.

He added: “It was a good occasion because you want to play on the biggest stages, but we just didn’t turn up on the day and we have to put it behind us as soon as possible.”

It was a tough experience for Coleman, who found himself up against a red-hot winger in Jonas Gutierrez.

“He is a brilliant player and I can only learn from playing against players like that. I’ll take it into the next game,” Coleman said.

“Everyone was down afterwards because we’d gone there thinking we’d get something from the game.

“The three games we’ve got left are massive. Blackpool have done awfully well this season and we are within touching distance of the play-offs.

“At the start of the season no-one was expecting the team to be where we are but we’re desperate not to let it fall away so close to the finish line.”

While the first-team were still flying high, the news wasn’t so good for the club’s reserve side.

Pool’s second string were hammered 8-2 by Oldham at Bloomfield Road yesterday, just a week after they shipped seven against Preston North End.

It wasn’t pleasant viewing for Ian Holloway.

The Seasiders boss was in the dugout early on, shouting instructions to a team which included trialists Alex Kite and Grant Spencer.

Former Bolton man Spencer was quiet throughout and Kite — released by Bristol Rovers — barely had chance to get going before limping off with an injury.

As it turned out, the centre-back was lucky to get back to the safety of the dressing room, given what was to follow.

Keeper Mark Halstead and striker Louis Almond were the only players on show with first-team experience.

Almond set up the first goal of the game for Joe McDonald and scored himself in the second half.

But otherwise it was all Oldham as striker Tom Eaves stole the show with five goals.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/seasiders-handed-

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024