Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Peter Bonetti RIP 16:09 - Apr 12 with 1930 viewsflynnbo

Aged 78. Didn't have 9 lives after all. Didn't mind the bloke tbh. Was he really at fault for the 1970 defeat v West Germany?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52261413
[Post edited 12 Apr 2020 16:10]

Peter Bonetti RIP on 16:20 - Apr 12 with 1890 viewsloftboy

When the newspapers do the end of year “who’s left us this year” they are going to need a 6 page spread at this rate.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Peter Bonetti RIP on 16:39 - Apr 12 with 1857 viewsStanisgod

Maybe one goal but we should have been 3-4 up by then.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Peter Bonetti RIP on 16:41 - Apr 12 with 1850 viewsBoston

Quiet unassuming man, very popular goalie(even in W12), always seemed grounded. Became a postman on a Scottish island after football(how times have changed), though I think he found it a little too peaceful even for himself. Son of Swiss Italians had brothers, no idea what they were involved with but remember reading a piece years ago written about some of his family members, think there was a girl doing well in sport. Sad to see him go, though I believe he'd been ill for a few years. RIP.

Edit...Ah yeah, his parents had a restaurant.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2020 16:44]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Peter Bonetti RIP on 17:03 - Apr 12 with 1809 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Well they’re going to have a lot of space to fill, because they’re going to have feck all sport to cover!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Peter Bonetti RIP on 17:23 - Apr 12 with 1774 viewskarl

Boston, do you know which Scottish Island as coincidentally David Harvey (ex Leeds and Scotland) became a postie on the island of Sanday up here. Lives very quietly and retired now of course.
Bonetti seemed to play on for quite a while and I seem to remember him playing for a Scottish team, possibly Dundee?

Edit. Wiki says Isle of Mull and Dundee Utd.
I do business with company from Mull, will see if there's any stories of him locally
[Post edited 12 Apr 2020 17:26]

Peter Bonetti RIP on 17:51 - Apr 12 with 1722 viewsstowmarketrange

I feel terrible now that he’s gone.At the cup tie at their place in 2008 I got to the ground at about 2.50 and saw him walking to the corporate section through the shed end,where we were sitting,and I threw some mild abuse at him about costing us the World Cup in 1970,and flapping my arms about.
He walked straight past me so he definitely heard me.I suppose the last thing he wanted was to be reminded of it by some half cut QPR supporter,but it seemed like a good idea at the time.
I’m sure he’d heard it all before though.

Peter Bonetti RIP on 17:58 - Apr 12 with 1707 viewsBoston

Vague recollection his wife ran / owned a guest house, so probably quite well known.

Peter Bonetti RIP on 19:54 - Apr 12 with 1595 viewsjohncharles

Visiting relatives in Cardiff who dragged me off to see Cardiff v Chelsea. Coming down from Landan I
assured everyone that Bonetti was way past his sell by and it should be a doddle. He had an absolute blinder. He was The Cat that day. Unforgettable.
P.s. Cardiff dominated but could not score and Chelsea won.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2020 19:58]

Strong and stable my arse.

Peter Bonetti RIP on 20:18 - Apr 12 with 1563 viewsBrixtonR

Good keeper RIP xx

Peter Bonetti RIP on 20:46 - Apr 12 with 1519 viewsCamberleyR

Nothing he could do about the third goal and Seeler's equaliser was a bit of a freak but definitely at fault for their first by Beckenbauer, a shot he would have saved 99 times out of a 100. Prior to the West Germany game he'd only played six times in the previous four years but England had won every game and he'd only conceded one goal.

Some of the blame should be with Sir Alf though in not giving him any playing time in either of the two warm up games before the tournament against Colombia and Ecuador. He hadn't played a competitive game since the FA Cup Final replay seven weeks earlier and was completely cold going into that important game.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Peter Bonetti RIP on 20:54 - Apr 12 with 1501 viewsBoston

Warmer than he is now.

Peter Bonetti RIP on 21:44 - Apr 12 with 1445 viewspaulparker

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024