Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
75/76 through fresh eyes - Column 16:08 - May 28 with 3296 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/52424

75/76 through fresh eyes - Column on 16:47 - May 28 with 2784 viewsBostonR

I watched every game at home and quite a few away that season. Masson was cultured, hard as nails and could pick a pass out of nothing. He was the engine of that fantastic team. He would be worth absolutely millions in the market today. Fantastic player.

75/76 through fresh eyes - Column on 17:13 - May 28 with 2750 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Excellent stuff. Great read.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

75/76 through fresh eyes - Column on 18:29 - May 28 with 2662 viewsHamptonR

Am I correct in remembering that Don Masson was the only QPR player shortlisted or nominated for PFA player of the year 75/76?

75/76 through fresh eyes - Column on 18:54 - May 28 with 2635 viewsVancouverHoop

Very nice article thanks. Nice to see some love for Don Masson. If you ask a fan from that era to quickly name the team, chances are Masson will be the forgotten man. As a personality he was a bit anonymous but could spot a pass where no one else could. He was a late arrival in a very tight group and maybe rubbed a few people the wrong way, including Stan:

"To be honest Don Masson and I didn't get on throughout my years at QPR... [He] came along in training and said [to Gerry Francis and me] 'I think I've got a better idea' [about organising free-kicks.] Me and Gerry looked at each other and just carried on. He kept his ideas to himself after that.

Dave Webb was slow, but Don Masson made him look like George Best... however he was so highly skilled he could get away with it. He just used his football brain to make the right passes. A bit like myself really, but I was quicker than him – everybody was, even the groundsman."
[Post edited 28 May 2020 18:55]

75/76 through fresh eyes - Column on 23:00 - May 28 with 2462 viewsStanisgod

That's got to be a joke!

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

75/76 through fresh eyes - Column on 08:09 - May 29 with 2347 viewsBostonR

Great question and I think you might be right. Need to dig up some of my old R's stuff and check.

75/76 through fresh eyes - Column on 09:25 - May 29 with 2298 viewsHamptonR

At the time I was angry (I was very young) that Stan, Gerry, Dave or Phil were not in the final frame (Lot older now and still angry) Pat Jennings was the winner, his team finished 9th and conceded 63 goals, which was 30 more than Phil.

75/76 through fresh eyes - Column on 11:27 - May 29 with 2232 viewsSonofNorfolt

It's generally accepted that season was Phil's year. Much like Shilton two years later or Neville Southall in '85 he was the best keeper in the country.

75/76 through fresh eyes - Column on 11:26 - May 30 with 1831 viewsHamptonR

PFA Team of the season 75/76

Pos. Player Club
GK Pat Jennings Tottenham Hotspur
DF Paul Madeley Leeds United
DF Roy McFarland Derby County
DF Colin Todd Derby County
DF Kevin Beattie Ipswich Town
MF Kevin Keegan Liverpool
MF Don Masson Queens Park Rangers
MF Alan Hudson Stoke City
FW Duncan McKenzie Leeds United
FW John Toshack Liverpool
FW Dennis Tueart Manchester City

75/76 through fresh eyes - Column on 11:42 - May 30 with 1824 viewsBrianMcCarthy

To be fair, Liverpool only have two.

75/76 through fresh eyes - Column on 14:03 - May 30 with 1780 viewsCiderwithRsie

But this is why some of our fans feel hard done by and go on about curses and agendas. Most forward thinking English team of not just that year but arguably the whole mid-70s and just one nominee; and one who (for all the justified praise given here) was not the outstanding player in the team.

75/76 through fresh eyes - Column on 18:32 - May 30 with 1710 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Oh, I agree, Rosie. Just pointing out that the team of the year was a lot more spread out than maybe it would be now?

75/76 through fresh eyes - Column on 13:46 - May 31 with 1480 viewsjohncharles

That is a hell of a team to be fair. All great players. Pity Stan wasn’t up front with Alan Hudson and Duncan McKenzie 🤩🤩🤩

Strong and stable my arse.

75/76 through fresh eyes - Column on 14:01 - May 31 with 1465 viewsLythamR

That doesnt reflect very well on Stan sadly

He was a great addition to the team, maybe if Stan and Gerry had been prepared to listen to his ideas we might have managed that extra point we needed to win the League!

75/76 through fresh eyes - Column on 17:55 - May 31 with 1405 viewsHamptonR

I think it reflects very well on Stan, it is Stan in a nutshell.

75/76 through fresh eyes - Column on 17:59 - May 31 with 1404 viewsBoston

May, but and if....

The reason Rangers were the team they were was the enencumbered attacking maverick spirit that was promoted and encouraged by Jago and Sexton. Sexton tapped the style promoting fast paced passing with visionary tactics. Masson was a great player at Notts County, he got lucky to be signed by a team which allowed him to reach the pinnacle of his game though nearing the end of his career.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

75/76 through fresh eyes - Column on 21:13 - May 31 with 1340 viewsHamptonR

Being pedantic, an extra point would not have been enough.

75/76 through fresh eyes - Column on 23:01 - May 31 with 1317 viewsBrianMcCarthy

It might have. If one of our draws was instead a win by four goals or more, we'd have won on GR!

Edit -
[Post edited 31 May 2020 23:02]

75/76 through fresh eyes - Column on 00:36 - Jun 1 with 1295 viewsLythamR

Exactly :) LOL

Stan was and always will be my Footballing hero, that doesnt mean he was always right though, I am not a statastician and dont have the time now to go back and fact check but I am pretty sure in my mind that the impact Masson had on our points average was significant. I was 13 when he signed for us and in the following years i would say none of my friends were blase regarding his impact, Ive probably read the Stan comments about Masson before but it just made me think back and wish we had nicked a couple of extra crucial goals

As for Ifs, Buts and Maybes isnt that part of what keeps us going as QPR supporters of a certain vintage, certainly helped keep me warm while watching the likes of Bob Malcolm, Eric Sabin, Steve Morrow etc over the years

75/76 through fresh eyes - Column on 10:12 - Jun 2 with 1164 viewsfrancisbowles

I think the players had to have their votes in very early, (Christmas?).

Results wise were at our best in the second half of the season.

75/76 through fresh eyes - Column on 10:20 - Jun 2 with 1152 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ya, I don't think you're being disloyal to Stan. No-one is perfect, Stan certainly never pretended he was. To my eyes and heart, that was part of his immense charm.

75/76 through fresh eyes - Column on 11:01 - Jun 2 with 1130 viewsSonofNorfolt

Didn't Masson miss a late sitter at Sheffield Utd near the end of the season that cost us a extra point?

75/76 through fresh eyes - Column on 12:17 - Jun 2 with 1090 viewsloftus77

He might have done - but clearly that game hurt us prob more than the carrot-crunchers if you think what a poor side the Blades were that season.

Re the OP - I never realised about the away record - only 1 away win before Jan 31st (a famous one against the reigning champions) is surprising and was clearly a factor. At LR we were just lethal.

75/76 through fresh eyes - Column on 14:33 - Jun 2 with 1051 viewsCamberleyR

Too many away draws first half. Five at places we probably should have picked up both points; Wolves, Birmingham, Middlesbrough, Burnley, Coventry. Leeds, Ipswich and Liverpool were the only top half teams we played away at before Christmas.

It always though seems to come back to the Sheffield United away game. We went into it having won five straight and scoring 13 and followed it winning six straight scoring 14. It beggars belief how it ended goalless.

They conceded 82 goals in total that season and going by what Gerry and others have said of that game we could quite realistically have won it by at least four goals which ultimately would have given us the title. We also only beat them 1-0 at LR which was pretty poor considering they shipped nearly two and a half goals a game away from home that season.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

75/76 through fresh eyes - Column on 15:27 - Jun 2 with 1029 viewsBostonR

I was at the game - too many missed chances. Classic game, in that we dominated possession, had chances and could have walked away with 4/5 goals. That's football.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024