Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jay Spearing 14:02 - Jun 26 with 312 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Jay Spearing on 14:06 - Jun 26 with 306 viewsROTTWEILERS

Wow. At least it allows Critch an almost complete blank canvass to paint on, I suppose.....

Go Out. See People. Live Your Lives.
Poll: Player of the Season vote

Jay Spearing on 14:31 - Jun 26 with 295 viewsROTTWEILERS

Go Out. See People. Live Your Lives.
Poll: Player of the Season vote

Jay Spearing on 16:05 - Jun 26 with 285 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Blackpool Football Club can announce that Jay Spearing will leave the Club at the end of the month, following the expiration of his contract and after failing to agree terms on a new deal.

The Seasiders’ Club Captain has given three years of exemplary service to Blackpool, both on and off the pitch, leading by example and displaying the utmost levels of professionalism.

A popular figure, the 31-year-old departs having made 120 appearances across all competitions for the Club, scoring eight goals in the process.

Head Coach Neil Critchley said:

“Jay has been a wonderful player and captain of this football club during his time here and we are sorry to see him go.

“The Club made Jay an offer to stay for the upcoming season, but Jay felt it was time to move on and we fully respect and understand his decision.”

Chief Executive Ben Mansford added:

“Jay has been the ultimate professional during his time here, captaining the side through a turbulent period. Jay has demonstrated leadership throughout.

“We thank him for his incredible service and everyone at the Club wishes Jay all the very best for the future.”

Jay Spearing said:

“It’s been a privilege to play for and captain Blackpool Football Club.

“The support myself and all of the players received during my time here has been incredible. Last year’s Homecoming match will particularly stay with me for a long time.

“I’d like to thank the supporters and the football club and wish everyone the very best going forward.”

https://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk/news/2020/june/jay-spearing-to-leave-the-club/

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Jay Spearing on 16:26 - Jun 26 with 283 viewsspell_chekker

Mind the step!

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

Jay Spearing on 16:35 - Jun 26 with 278 viewsspell_chekker

That's one "titch" off the books.

Let's not recruit a whole boatload of them, hey!!

Power and pace says Spell_Chekker, power and pace!!!!

It's the way to go, especially if they can put their foot on the ball and play a bit.

It's all rocket science, ain't it?
[Post edited 26 Jun 2020 16:36]

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.

Jay Spearing on 20:13 - Jun 26 with 258 viewsspell_chekker

Makes loads of sense as we've offered deals to Turton and Nottingham.

These sort of decisions breed confidence. Haha.

Is Critch a dickhead?

Jay Spearing on 20:23 - Jun 26 with 250 viewsspudgun

Quick, someone get the ketamine for spell...

Jay Spearing on 09:05 - Jun 27 with 236 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Gazette opinion: Jay Spearing's shock departure will leave a sizeable hole in Blackpool's dressing room

Just hours after celebrating his beloved Liverpool’s title win, Jay Spearing had some pretty big news of his own to announce.

Just hours after celebrating his beloved Liverpool’s title win, Jay Spearing had some pretty big news of his own to announce.

His departure from Bloomfield Road might not be quite as seismic as Liverpool’s long-overdue Premier League success, coming 30 years after the Reds’ last triumph.

But Spearing’s departure comes as a big shock to those of a Blackpool persuasion who expected an extension of his current deal to be nothing more than a formality.

The 31-year-old told The Gazette back in March, prior to the Sunderland game that was cancelled the following day as the full scale of the pandemic started to become clearer, that he had already told Blackpool he was willing to pledge his future to the club.

A little over three months later and the club captain has left.

Had he been offered reduced terms, due to the crippling financial effect of the coronavirus? Was he offered a shorter deal than he had been hoping for? Or has another opportunity come up elsewhere that he felt he couldn’t turn down? Or was it just time to move on?

Even then, when you take into account the Neil Critchley factor, a man Spearing knows well given his Liverpool connections, you would have thought it would have been nothing more than a matter of time until the Liverpudlian put pen to paper.

It’s well documented that Spearing has taken his coaching badges and I gather he might have been offered a role in Liverpool’s coaching setup. But at 31, and a fit 31 year old too, his playing days are far from over.

There’s no doubt Spearing will leave a sizeable hole in the Blackpool dressing room, a dressing room he’s led superbly over the last three years.

It’s not just on the field where Blackpool will miss him, it’s off it too. Whenever the chips are down, he’s always the first to front up and explain why things might be going wrong. That's the measure of a true captain.

While there’s no doubting his quality on the grass, he’s a player that’s featured at the very highest level, after all, a lot of his work often goes unnoticed, a lot of it behind closed doors. He’s a leader in every sense of the word.

From a media point of view, he’s always been a pleasure to deal with, too. He’s always the first player to shake your hand as he walks into Bloomfield Road on the morning of a press conference. He always makes sure to ask how you’re doing, how the family are getting on and so on.

Believe me, not all footballers are quite as amenable. Gestures like that can go a long way.

Even when Jay approached me to pick apart my player ratings from the previous game - and he was usually right - he did it in the right manner. He wasn’t just complaining for the sake of complaining, like some do, and he earned even more respect by doing it to my face.

When I think of Spearing’s standout moments in a Blackpool shirt, the obvious one to mention would be the homecoming clash last year, when the midfielder was tasked with leading the Seasiders out out onto the Bloomfield Road turf in front of a sold-out crowd from what was a truly historic occasion.

But, for me, it has to be his late winner at Accrington Stanley just four days before.

On what was the first real gathering of Pool fans since the Oystons’ departure, Spearing stood over an 81st-minute penalty for what felt like an age. Even before that moment, you could sense there was something in the air that night.

With the Seasiders packing out the uncovered terrace behind the goal, Spearing smashed the ball home to spark wild scenes of celebration in the away end. Spearing was just as animated as any supporter that night.

Speaking to him post-match, you could tell in his face that he realised something had changed and that yes, Blackpool really were back. It wasn’t just a meaningless slogan, after all.

The Seasiders must now move on to the next chapter of their story but they must do it without their most inspirational player. Replacing Spearing will be no easy task.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/gazette-opinion-j

Jay Spearing on 09:14 - Jun 27 with 231 viewsspudgun

Would seem obvious that there will be a reduction in terms offered for many players out of contract in football generally following the seismic changes recently. Smaller squads, more young players on lesser wages. Spearing was an early indicator of that perhaps...

All about survival for many I imagine...

Jay Spearing on 09:21 - Jun 27 with 228 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Could be down to length of contract, rather than actual money.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him turn at at Bolton on a two year deal.

Jay Spearing on 09:28 - Jun 27 with 225 viewsspudgun

Indeed it could Red, but if I was running a football club at the moment, I would be offering one year contracts only, at reduced rates. Amidst all the uncertainty there is the opportunity to right some football wrongs; wages being one of them...

Jay Spearing on 09:42 - Jun 27 with 222 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

The thing about salary cap is interesting. If L1 was set at 2.5 million, that would be equal to 8000 season tickets at £300 (also I think players under 21 and loan players wouldn't be included in the cap).

You'd also need some sort of rule to stop owners splitting up Football Clubs into separate companies and using that as a way of taking money out of a club. The obvious example is setting up a company to run the pitch and then charging a fee for the club to use it.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2020 9:44]

Jay Spearing on 09:52 - Jun 27 with 219 viewsspudgun

Reconstructing football in the aftermath of the pandemic will be a major operation, and I wouldn`t have much faith in the powers that be to run a bath.

Getting everyone to fall into line and to adhere to new guidelines would be like herding kittens, I fear.

But is probably necessary...

Jay Spearing on 11:00 - Jul 5 with 175 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Jay Spearing on 13:21 - Jul 12 with 140 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024