Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 09:08 - Jul 11 with 3044 viewsRangersDave

Saw Jack a few times at HQ, back in the day, good player.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 on 09:12 - Jul 11 with 1863 viewsToast_R

Very sad. Always seemed like a 100% genuine bloke.

My dad always tells me the time he saw him playing for Leeds at Fulham and he got a ball flush in the face, the old leather heavy balls. His nose was p*ssing with blood and when the magic sponge man came on to see to him, Charlton felt so insulted he almost went for him.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2020 9:13]

R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 on 09:15 - Jul 11 with 1835 viewspaulparker

Don’t think he ever had to pay for a pint of Guinness in Ireland , old school player I do hope him and bobby patched things up before he went

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 on 09:17 - Jul 11 with 1794 views2Thomas2Bowles

Sad news, I liked him.
R I P

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 on 09:29 - Jul 11 with 1783 viewsbosh67

RIP Jack. Great player and character.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 on 09:32 - Jul 11 with 1752 views2Thomas2Bowles

I believe he did going by the report on the BBC Breakfast report.

R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 on 09:43 - Jul 11 with 1734 viewsMrSheen

The football was a bit grim but he gave Ireland some great times. I was over for a wedding when they beat Italy in 1994, Top 5 hangover the next day.

R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 on 09:46 - Jul 11 with 1724 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Wasn't a fan of his, being honest. Found him rude and belligerent to Irish fans on a couple of occasions. I also wasn't a fan of his team in that era who gave caps to people who'd never even been to Ireland before. It cheapened the shirt.

I see lots of people on facebook this morning talking to him - "you did us proud" etc.

Do dead people have facebook now? Cos I'd like to chat to my Gran.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 on 09:47 - Jul 11 with 1720 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ya, that was sad PP. Let's hope so.

R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 on 09:48 - Jul 11 with 1713 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Gave the people of two countries days they will never forget.

The word legend sits well on his shoulders.

RIP Jack

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 on 09:50 - Jul 11 with 1703 viewsMrSheen

I understand your point, but how many kids took up the game because of the success he brought? You’ll know much better, but the 80s were a grim time, and the joy and excitement he gave were amazing.

R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 on 09:57 - Jul 11 with 1665 views2Thomas2Bowles

Maybe, but not half the arsehole Keane was/is

R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 on 10:00 - Jul 11 with 1671 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ya, undeniably true.

R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 on 10:09 - Jul 11 with 1636 viewsLythamR

R.I.P Jack
I wasn't a fan, Opinion formed as a teenager in 70's and didnt really change, although i accept he did well for a period with Ireland and obviously there is always 66

The one thing i did rate him for is that he wouldn't give a f*ck about my opinion

R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 on 10:23 - Jul 11 with 1590 viewsCamberleyR

RIP Big Jack. Not been a good couple of months for Leeds with three genuine club legends in Big Jack, Norman Hunter & Trevor Cherry all passing

I know a lot of us don't have a lot of love for TCOE but just think how we'd be feeling if say Stan, Gerry and Ian Gillard had all passed within a couple of months of each other.

Also that's three of the 1966 World Cup squad that have gone within a short time of each other this year

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 on 10:28 - Jul 11 with 1574 viewsqpr_1968

r.i.p jack

good servant to leeds
good manager
top bloke, down to earth
even liked his fishing programmes.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 on 10:35 - Jul 11 with 1547 viewsPaddyhoops

I agree Brian. The football was agriculture to say the least. He was asking class acts like Brady and whelan to modify their game which in brady's case was like asking piccasso to do some sign painting.
However as an Irish immigrant here in the 80s he gave me and the thousands of others piss ups and hangovers on a monumental scale and for that I'm grateful!!!
As for the cheap caps he handed out , Townsend , cascarino et al. They ran through brick f**cing walls for him and more importantly..us!!!
RIP big Jack!!

R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 on 10:55 - Jul 11 with 1520 viewsstevec

Can’t remember if I saw him play against us but I remember him bringing a resurgent Boro side down to LR which strangled the life out Rangers and probably everyone in the ground during the dullest of 0-0 draws.

That said, you can’t help admire the presence of a man who can transform eleven individuals into a mentality of eleven Jack Charltons. It wasn’t pretty, but it worked and he didn’t care.

All power to Jack in a world of compromise. RIP.

R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 on 11:07 - Jul 11 with 1490 viewsMrSheen

He did compensate us with a 5-5 though!

R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 on 11:25 - Jul 11 with 1452 viewsBostonR

Incredible in what he achieved with the Irish team. They all seemed to want to play for him.

R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 on 11:38 - Jul 11 with 1417 viewsBoston

Deserved every bit of success he ever achieved. Uncompromising, hard working, plain speaking, it’s a long way from a pit village to national hero in two countries.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 on 11:40 - Jul 11 with 1409 viewsSt_Pollock

The only right way to play football is to play winning football. It's a competive sport, not an entertainment and he got the best out of those players by choosing tactics which utilised their collective abilities. Johan Cruyff, for example, predicted Ireland to win Italia 90 so effective were the tactics.

He was also very clever and ahead of the game (pardon the pun) by utilising the Irish diaspora to the benefit of the National side. Whether people like it or not FIFA allows selection based upon grandparent heritage and the Irish state deems anyone born to an Irish parent or with an Irish grandparent as an Irish citizen so they were as Irish as someone called Seamus o'Finnegan born in the Liberties.

As you say, those selected gave their all to the team and country and gave us some wonderful memories.

RIP Jack.

R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 on 11:54 - Jul 11 with 1381 viewsMonahoop

Tough old school type of player/manager you kind of miss nowadays. Wouldn't have liked to got on the wrong side of him. He was also a great raconteur a rare trait in sporting types. Could spin a great yarn or two. Will be missed. RIP.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 on 12:08 - Jul 11 with 1356 viewsMrSheen

Quite right, you hardly “cheapen the shirt” by putting on show in a major tournament for the first time ever...then do it twice more.

R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 on 12:13 - Jul 11 with 1342 viewsloftboy

Best Memory I have of him was moaning like mad about how can you score 5 goals away from home and not win!!
RIP

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

R.I.P. Jack Charlton 85 on 12:19 - Jul 11 with 1323 views2Thomas2Bowles

Yeah the famous 5-5 v NU

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024