Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gary Taylor-Fletcher column 13:30 - Jul 12 with 84 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Blackpool are putting the foundations in place for next season

It’s good to see Blackpool do some transfer business nice and early, having already made three signings for next season.

It looks like they’re getting business done early but in a normal situation we’d be gearing up for the start of pre-season, so it’s a strange time for a lot of clubs.

But there now seems to be light at the end of the tunnel in terms of football coming back and that gives clubs the certainty to get their squads ready for next season.

With the new owner (Simon Sadler) and the way he’s going about things, you’d imagine Blackpool will be in as good a position as any to enjoy success next year.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they were one of the strongest teams in League One.

The players they’ve brought in are all quality players that have all enjoyed good seasons either in the same league or the league below.

They’re looking at what they need and improving accordingly, which is a good sign.

Every club will have their targets but, at the moment, it seems like Blackpool is the one going out there and getting them.

The club seems to be targeting younger players but all clubs in the lower leagues need to be doing that.

They need to look at what players might progress and eventually move on for a high fee.

That’s something they’ve looked at. They’ve identified these players who have enjoyed good seasons and are now taking that step.

As long as they can show they can do it at this level then I’m sure there will be interest in them from clubs higher up.

It’s interesting to see mid-September has been mentioned as a possible return date for League One and that’s good to hear.

Obviously there’s a lot still up in the air about what will happen with crowds because a lot of clubs rely on that income to go forward.

You don’t know what is going to happen with this government from one day to the next.

I recently received a message saying the National League North, South and below are looking at a date of September 12, so that would be a good starting point.

Since I last penned a column, my old teammate Ian Evatt has taken the managerial vacancy at Bolton Wanderers — a job he thoroughly deserves given what he achieved with Barrow.

Everyone knows what kind of character Evo is, he’s very professional and he’s got a good footballing brain.

He’s always had great knowledge and he’s taken that into his managerial career.

I can only see good things for him and for Bolton.

It’s a tough league is League Two. Everybody will be saying Bolton will be favourites but it doesn’t always work that way.

He’s got to carry on the good work he was doing with Barrow and, knowing Evo as well as I do, he’s very particular and he’s organised so I don’t see why he won’t be a success.

Matt Gilks has already been linked with the goalkeeping coach role and I’m not surprised by that either.

Evo going in there is good for our lot (ex-Blackpool players) and I know Gilo is desperate to get a coaching position.

He’s still a quality keeper and he’s another one that was always professional and always did things right, so that wouldn’t surprise me if that happened.

It’s what happens when a new manager comes in, they normally appoint their old teammates and people they’ve worked with in the past.

Would I be interested in a coaching position? If there was a role there I’d be interested, certainly, but we’ll just have to see what happens.

Blackpool’s first-team coach David Dunn has taken Evo’s position at Barrow and that makes sense as they’ve obviously gone down the same route of appointing a younger manager.

What they’ve seen with Evo, they obviously want to continue with that style of play with another up-and-coming manager.

He’s been around the block, he’s been a coach at Blackburn and Blackpool so he’s got a good pedigree and a good start to his coaching CV and now he’s decided to take that step into management.

With Barrow only just getting promoted, it will be tough for them in League Two but as I said before, that will be the case for every side in the fourth tier.

All leagues are tough but things will only get tougher given what’s happened with Covid-19 because budgets will be affected.

Looking at the Premier League, there have been a lot of high-profile cases with VAR cropping up again in the last few weeks.

They’re saying it’s only going to be used for clear and obvious errors, but I think everyone would be more appreciative of it if they got the correct decisions every time.

If a referee makes a mistake, whether it’s clear and obvious or not, a mistake is a mistake.

I think even the referee would hold his hands up and say he got it wrong.

There are too many grey areas for me and it’s making it frustrating to watch sometimes.

That’s the main thing they need to sort out.

I think it’s a good thing but it’s just not being used right. For some reason we seem to be using it differently to how other countries are.

What they need is for VAR to tell the referee they could be wrong and tell them to have a look at the pitchside monitors.

Sometimes all it takes is one look and the referee can change their minds, that’s how good and effective it could be.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/gary-taylor-fletc

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024