Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Intelligence and Security Committee's report 13:29 - Jul 21 with 391 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53484344

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

The Intelligence and Security Committee's report on 14:06 - Jul 21 with 382 viewsspudgun

Where do you start?

With the word excoriating, perhaps?

The current government lying about the reasons for delay, previous government`s complacency in investigating known threats, possible Russian cash to members of the Lords, Brexit shenanigans, Britain acting as a laundromat for dirty Russian money and more.

Not all of it a surprise of course, and will be interesting to see how Johnson tries to dodge his share of the blame, both as Prime Minister and Foreign Secretary...

Crikey, good job we took back control...

The Intelligence and Security Committee's report on 14:23 - Jul 21 with 379 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

I expect a Daily Briefing later today, where it'll be announced that you can now fly to the Isle of Man, while taking upto two pet chickens with you. This will allow The Telegraph, Mail and Express to lead on "how things are getting back to normal"

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

The Intelligence and Security Committee's report on 14:30 - Jul 21 with 375 viewsspudgun

I think they`ve sort of covered that base (look over there!) with getting Mike Pompeo in town.

And I forgot to mention Scottish Independence! That must have been a slow day at the Kremlin.

The implications of this are huge and disturbing in so many ways; the fact that successive administrations have been prepared to look the other way whilst a hostile power burrowed into the fabric of our nation. It`s about time we reassessed exactly who we are as a nation in the world and stopped kidding ourselves...

Quite remarkable

The Intelligence and Security Committee's report on 13:01 - Jul 22 with 359 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

I see Mike Pompeo brought the playbook with him.

Remoaners = Dirty Democrats

Corbyn = Clinton

"No need for further investigations" "Totally cleared" blah, blah, blah......

The Intelligence and Security Committee's report on 14:02 - Jul 22 with 345 viewskophero

Don't normally post links to the other side, but BRR posted about this yesterday

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Well, I think we can now all see beyond any doubt why the Government didn't want this publishing in the run up to the General Election. The Conservatives (and to a less extent the Lib Dems) have to take ownership of the criticism that the report contains. Had it been available in November, who knows what impact it might have had?

I think what the Russians are thought to have done is far less shocking than some of the implications inherent in the way that they seem to have largely got away with it. For better or worse, in the modern geo-political sphere, countries like Russia and China are able to use modern techniques to subvert perceived enemies, and there seems little collective, global leadership available to counter them. And that will only get worse in the short term if the USA in particular continues on its path of deliberate self-isolation.

It is interesting that these two rogue states sees the democratised West as both a strategic threat, but also a weak, poorly led target that they have a real opportunity to exploit. The response to this, I think, will have to be a long term one that fights fire with fire - more a technological and communications based reaction, than the orthodox military one (although that won't be how a Trump-led USA sees it). We have seen evidence only last night on BBC2 of how reflex, anger-led reactions to a particular problem in the Middle East has led to long term, far-reaching problems that go well beyond that particular theatre. We can't afford to go that way again. Unfortunately, the panic response to this kind of story is that it might make people MORE inclined to pull up the diplomatic drawbridge, rather than less. If European nationalism surges in the next five years even more than it currently is, don't be surprised, especially if neither the EU or NATO is able to offer a collective response.

Closer to home, the impact of all this could be very profound, and not necessarily what we might expect. I think, for example, that the people of Scotland might want to think quite hard about why the Russians might be so keen to steer their independence debate in one particular direction.

Equally, I think the people who lap up Johnson's rhetoric about our path back to "greatness" might want to stop and think about why our Government might possibly have been keen to look the other way whilst all this was going on. Could it possibly be that they didn't want to expose their own impotence? Or demonstrate the fact that, whatever the boasting, we are really just an averagely sized country with waning global influence, and economic prospects to match? None of that would have played well during the Brexit debate, at least as far as the nutcases in the ERG and the charlatans now running the Government are concerned.

I'd like to think that this will shock us into changing the way that we do Government, organise our security, do business with others and - above all - manage the relationship between State and citizen. Unfortunately, as we have seen all too clearly in the recent past, describing our current political class as third rate is a kindness that they simply don't deserve. They aren't up to this - nor will they be.

The Intelligence and Security Committee's report on 16:10 - Jul 22 with 329 viewsspudgun

Yeah, thanks for that kop.

BRR knows better than to spout his reactionary left claptrap on here...

The Intelligence and Security Committee's report on 18:30 - Jul 22 with 323 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Oi spud.

My potato peeler works, you know. Think on.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

The Intelligence and Security Committee's report on 19:17 - Jul 22 with 309 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

A reply to a question in Parliament today

The new chair of the Intelligence and Security Committee, Julian Lewis, is next to contribute.

Remember, he was kicked out of the Conservative Party after securing the chairmanship over No10's suggested favoured candidate Chris Grayling.

Mr Lewis says: "Given that the minister has so much to say on this subject, it is really rather sad it is having to be said in an urgent question, rather than a voluntary statement by the government."

He moves on to ask the minister about reports that No 10 wanted to get rid of the staff on the committee and replace them with political appointments.

The chair says: "Would my right honourable friend, as I still regard him, resist the temptation fob us off... and give this House now the categorical commitment that no party political special advisers will be allowed anywhere near [committee]?"

James Brokenshire does not answer the question directing, but says Mr Lewis can "certainly have my assurances to the weight and support I give to his committee".

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024