Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) 08:45 - Jul 29 with 2309 viewsDannyPaddox

In order to welcome George Thomas our first George for a while I’m trying to think of a QPR George XI but I’m struggling. In fact I can barely get a 5-a-side team together.

Generosi Rossi Starts well with a GE then you have to shuffle the letters about a bit, take a few away, and add another G. Okay you find a George that’s played in goal for QPR.

George Kulscar To be honest I was out of town during the Kulscar era. I believe, like a lot of people that day, he scored against Palace in the 6-0. This George was an Australian international. To be pedantic his name is the Hungarian version György

George Jacks Captain of the outstanding youth team of the mid 60s but whereas Springett, Hunt, Hazell, Leach, Sibley, and the Morgan twins went on to have outstanding Rs careers George managed one appearance on the pitch and one appearance on the match day programme cover. Disappeared into obscurity ie: Millwall.

George Petchey Like Jacks an East Londoner. Well respected midfielder with 255 games for the Rs mostly in the 50s. Went on to manage, coach, and scout successfully for a number of clubs. Worked with Bobby Robson at Newcastle. Sounds like a proper football man. Died last December aged 88. Would like to know more about him.

George Best One game in a QPR shirt in the Alan McDonald testimonial. He’s in.

On the subs bench a couple more variants: Georges Santos (lovely shiny head), and Giorgios Tofas (one game - you probably know as much as me)

Best of luck to Mr. Thomas the new George 👍🏼

By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) on 08:58 - Jul 29 with 2281 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Gregory GoodGeorge for a pit of pace on the bench.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) on 09:13 - Jul 29 with 2255 viewsCamberleyR

Our all time leading scorer George Goddard?

Slack work lad, slack work!

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) on 09:13 - Jul 29 with 2252 viewsDannyPaddox

Gregory G was definitely considered Brian. As was Reece Grego-Cox. Both waiting for international countdown conundrum clearance

By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) on 09:15 - Jul 29 with 2243 viewsCamberleyR

Re the GK, wasn't Bankole's nickname George?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) on 09:17 - Jul 29 with 2232 viewsDannyPaddox

Doh!

There you have it - with the combined brain-power of Brian, Camberley, and Carol Vorderman we just about have a QPR George XI. I hope George Thomas enjoys playing along side George Best and just behind the utterly unforgettable all-tme top goalscorer George Goddard.
😁
[Post edited 29 Jul 2020 9:37]

By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) on 09:43 - Jul 29 with 2189 viewsLythamR

George Fox 15 goals between 1915 - 1920 Half Back
George Dale. 40 goals between 19-15 - 1919 Forward

id like to point out i didnt see them play!

By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) on 10:19 - Jul 29 with 2144 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Georges Santos.

utility player could probably even go in goal.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) on 11:34 - Jul 29 with 2093 viewsfrancisbowles

I'll give you a team of Thomas's:

Sean Thomas (GK)
George Thomas
Dave Thomas
Jerome Thomas
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas

we have to go with use of the first name to expand into 11 a side: (surprisingly few in our history)

Thomas Carroll
Thomas Hitchcock
Thomas Cunningham
Tom Rosenthal (mid)
Tamas Priskin
Tomer Hemed
Tommy Doherty
Tom Williams
Tom Heaton(GK)
Tom Standley (mid)
and
Daniel Tomassi

on standby: Tom Middlehurst (current U17 GK)

Very short of defenders (and height) typical Rangers!

Heaton
Doherty, Cunningham, Tomassi
Thomas. J, Thomas. G, Carroll, Williams
Thomas. D, Hemed, Emmanuel-Thomas

Manager: Tommy Docherty (unfortunately the only one)

By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) on 12:06 - Jul 29 with 2047 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

George Orr-well

Poll: Expectations for this season?

By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) on 12:37 - Jul 29 with 2012 viewsTheChef

Ademole 'George' Bankole?

Have to say our recent record with Georges is not brilliant. I hope GT can reverse the trend!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) on 12:42 - Jul 29 with 2001 viewstimcocking

Any Jorges? Millions in Spain and South America, we must have had one by now...

By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) on 12:44 - Jul 29 with 1998 viewsaston_hoop

Oh yes, we had this guy and Jordi is the Catalan version of George!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordi_L%C3%B3pez

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) on 13:34 - Jul 29 with 1950 viewsAddinall

George Smith. Club captain 1948. Centre half and as I remember always gave 100 percent.

By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) on 13:43 - Jul 29 with 1937 viewsloftus77

Emmanuel Jorge Ledesma.

Fondly remembered in Carlisle.

By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) on 14:28 - Jul 29 with 1893 viewsHantsR

Tommy Langley? Fastest ever goal (possibly?)

By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) on 14:39 - Jul 29 with 1880 viewsfrancisbowles

Missed him. Probably replaces Hemed.

By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) on 15:19 - Jul 29 with 1848 viewsTheChef

Damiano Tommasi, innit?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) on 15:47 - Jul 29 with 1831 viewsfrancisbowles

Whose awake this afternoon, then? Well spotted.

By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) on 17:58 - Jul 29 with 1782 viewsR_from_afar

Not forgetting Thomas William Smith...

"Tommy" to the likes of you and I.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) on 18:48 - Jul 29 with 1755 viewsfrancisbowles

Oh yes, straight in, JET out.

By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) on 06:37 - Jul 30 with 1683 viewsJogo

George Goddard...QPR's record goalscorer should never be forgotten.

By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) on 09:02 - Aug 1 with 1588 viewsDannyPaddox

And nor should George Whitelaw be forgotten. This bloke sounds like a proper character. A goalkeeper and bible-bashing centre-forward of the late fifties. Love this description of his debut goal.

Most sensational goal perhaps ever scored by George was the one he notched in that opening game. Remember ? Bradford City goalkeeper, Wilkinson, gathered the ball and George was there rushing forward right at him as he kicked it, which resulted in the ball rebounding into the net. And Rangers new centre forward had scored for his new club within moments of the start of his first game for them.’

Great to find out about an old Rs player I knew next to nothing about. He also inspired a young Frank Worthington when he moved to Halifax.

Some great stories about him in this Indy Rs piece:

http://www.indyrs.co.uk/2009/11/george-whitelaw-qpr-centre-forward-1959raging-bu

By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) on 09:27 - Aug 1 with 1576 viewsEsox_Lucius

Goalkeeper just HAS to be Ademole Bankole by virtue of the fact that every time he caught the ball it was accompanied by cries of "By George, he's saved it!"

The grass is always greener.

By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) on 10:29 - Aug 2 with 1487 viewsloftboy

Fastest goal I remember was Bannister against Wimbledon

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

By George QPR XI (edit: 5-a-side team) on 11:55 - Aug 2 with 1452 viewsKonk

This is one competition that Fulham could do well in.

Captain: It has to be George Georgiou - difficult to see who else could lead the team. Only played a few games in the early nineties, but there's no-one in World football more qualified to skipper a team of Georges.

George Cohen - World Cup winner and universally acknowledged as England's MOTM in the final. Legend.

George Best - a useful player at Man Utd, Best is universally acknowledged to have played his best football in a Fulham shirt. Kwazy 5-a-side skillz.

George Williams - looked promising in his first few games as a teenager. Nice lad. Universally acknowledged as having single-handedly led Wales to the Euro '16 semi-finals.

Boy George - GK - Kept out of the first XI by keeper Gerry Peyton, Boy George only made 6 first team appearances for Fulham before quitting the game, but was good enough to represent Fulham at the Evening Standard 5-a-sides in 1981 and 1982.

We've got a World Cup winner, a footballing genius, a bloke called George not once, but twice, a bloke who almost won a trophy for Wales, and a keeper who had about 400 hit records. Unbeatable. Unlock the trophy cabinet, shift over the intertoto and make some room for the Footballers called George 5-a-side trophy. I am fu cking buzzing!

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024