Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? 08:44 - Aug 12 with 12139 viewsdannyblue

I’ve got two girls, 5 and 3. So schools, parks important to us...

What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? on 09:10 - Aug 12 with 10778 viewsLblock

Hanwell Broadway.... do you own a boat? If so be careful as the Somalian pirates may have that off of you.

Boston Manor up to Saint Marks (Village Inn / Inn on The Green / The Dolphin or whatever else it’s calling itself this week) generally very nice.
West Ealing and Northfields zone lovely.
Deeper into West Ealing and Greenford can be a bit fruity but it’s London innit? Pockets of doom cheek by jowl oasis of suburbia loveliness

Spoilt for choice on parks in the area, most in walking distance and most absolutely brilliantly maintained these days. Boston Manor Park, Blondin and Lammas all top notch with Elthorne and Brent Valley (the canal) all very, very good.

Loads of schools and most highly sort after which is a big driver to rents and house prices.
Transport links are great and travel to W12 anything from 15 mins to 40 mins
Plenty of pubs and food establishments although most a bit run of the mill.

As noted above the London blight of crime never that far away which you notice if you have your eyes open and a sixth sense for those things, many I know don’t notice it at all apart from what they read or are told. It’s also well expensive as already touched on.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? on 09:51 - Aug 12 with 10682 viewsNortholt_Rs

Like living in the third world....

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? on 09:55 - Aug 12 with 10660 viewsHarbour

Not forgetting the jewel in the crown of natural open spaces teeming with wildlife Warren Farm

What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? on 09:59 - Aug 12 with 10647 viewsEsox_Lucius

Volcanic mountains, tropical trees in all directions, beautiful beaches, warm friendly people and marvellous seafood... Hanwell??? I thought it said Hawaii until I put my glasses on. As you were.

The grass is always greener.

What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? on 11:56 - Aug 12 with 10459 viewsWEAREAWFUL

if you have got enough money head for the pitshanger lane area the only nice part of ealing left in my opinion, i live in hanwell near brentside school its like living in warsaw and mogadishu at the same time. i drink in the duke of kent to pretend i live in pitshanger

What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? on 16:08 - Aug 12 with 10164 viewsLblock

Oi! #HanwellLivesMatter mate!!!

Lived in this Borough all my life.
I’ve loved it and hated it with ebbs and flows..... I’ll leave it one day for sure; I’m just not quite ready yet.
May reconsider once my new neighbours move in

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? on 16:41 - Aug 12 with 10102 viewsonlyrinmoray

First place I remember living was 199 Boston Manor Road in the 60s we lived next to a funeral premises in a big house We lived in the downstairs bit I went to Fielding school Soon after my parents got a new Council House in Northolt I remember learning to ride a bike in Elthorne Park
No idea what its like nowadays as I moved to Scotland years later

What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? on 16:47 - Aug 12 with 10086 viewscolinallcars

I used to visit Hanwell often back in the day and quite liked it. A couple of good pubs incuding the Fox down by the canal. Also a booze shop called as I remember, the Nest. The owner used to do a fair price for several good whiskies. Are these establishments still there I wonder.

What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? on 16:51 - Aug 12 with 10079 viewsW7Ranger

Yes they are.

What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? on 17:12 - Aug 12 with 10036 viewsonlyrinmoray

When I first got married I lived in Mayfield Road Northfields, my wife and I used to go to the Royal Hotel in Boston Manor just as my parents did. I remember it being a great pub with ducks and a donkey off the garden. I used to have a lemonade and runaround I think its a Harvester nowadays

What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? on 17:14 - Aug 12 with 10020 viewsBoston

...hic

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? on 17:41 - Aug 12 with 9988 viewsdenhamhoop2

Reasonable transport links and the old Grammar Schools are more than OK. Do prepare though to never hear English spoken as the East European Chavs in their Poundland outfits and Somalian wannabe gangstas are quite prevalent in the area

What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? on 18:40 - Aug 12 with 9881 viewsw7r

Ended up buying in Old Hanwell in 1997 as we couldn't afford some of the "nicer" areas. On our 3rd house now and it's a fantastic place to live - yeah okay the Broadway looks a bit shabby but it's got a great pub in the Kings Arms in addition to those already mentioned, more green space than most people realise, which unless you live here you wouldn't know about unless you like to wander around a bit.

Raised our two girls here and we've loved it.

Good transport links - Crossrail will stop at Hanwell (if it ever gets running), good buses to Ealing Broadway, West Ealing etc. Heathrow 10 mins from Hanwell station. 607/207 to HQ on a saturday afteroon.

Looked at Pitshanger last time we moved in 2012 but it's a nightmare if you're a car owner and need to park anywhere near your house, it's overpriced ( although the Lane is nice) and poor transport into London compared to Hanwell.

I won't be leaving here anytime soon that's for sure.

What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? on 18:44 - Aug 12 with 9873 viewsdannyblue

Thank you. Much appreciated. I've never really had cause to spend any time there but will explore further.

What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? on 18:49 - Aug 12 with 9864 viewsw7r

Go have a pint in the Fox down the bottom of Green Lane, when you've finished that turn left out of the side door of the pub, and walk 50 metres to the canal and turn right, walk past the lock keepers cottage on your right and come back and tell me it isn't a beautiful spot.

What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? on 19:23 - Aug 12 with 9807 viewsHanwellHoopster

I suppose I ought to answer given my moniker. Will keep remarks more focused on Hanwell, which I love.

Like all patches of London, you can find really nice parts of Hanwell, less nice parts, and everything in between. If I won the lottery I would buy a house on Manor Park Round - stunning houses, quiet road in a conservation area, nestled inbetween a golf course and a big park, and five minutes walk from a station which gets you into Paddington in 15 minutes. Some of the surrounding roads there are also lovely.

If you don't have a spare £2m (!), however, then there are some really nice areas like Poets' Corner north of the Uxbridge Road and Old Hanwell south of the same. As mentioned above, The Fox pub is superb and easily one of the nicest pubs in the wider Ealing area. The Kings Arms is also nice, and I like the Grosvenor too.

There is quite a lot of green space, a few really good nurseries and schools, and an excellent high school.

I wouldn't personally recommend the areas closer to Ruislip Road or nearer the Broadway, as transport is less good nearer Ruislip Road and the Broadway is a lot busier.

Happy to answer any questions you have.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2020 19:31]

What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? on 22:51 - Aug 12 with 9595 viewsWEAREAWFUL

sorry w7 but your transport answers are a tad screwy mate, parking in old hanwell is not much fun if you own a car bigger than a pre 2009 mini, the roads are narrower than most width restrictions?. as for transport links,pitshanger 4 stops from ealing broadway on the e2.e7,e9, or 297 aprox 5 mins it is also about a 12 to 15 min walk, not unlike old hanwell to hanwell station or boston manor. As for the kings arms , it was a proper pub when old tom was behind the bar a couple of years ago,squeezed between the birds nest and the little william hills it was the perfect racing pub for cheltenham and royal ascot as well as great saturdays for the football, now its just a glorified pizza hut. sorry mate

What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? on 23:02 - Aug 12 with 9585 viewshamptonhillhoop

I lived in Pitshanger Lane in the early nineties and bought a flat in Lammas Park Road in the mid 90's. Loved both areas which doesn't really help the original OP. Then moved to "Enfield Village" in Brentford, 35 second walk from the Lord Nelson. Loved it there too. Boston Manor was a great area then, no idea what it's like now

What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? on 23:18 - Aug 12 with 9564 viewsJevlar

I have lived in Northfields for the past 6.5 years and love it here. Easy stroll through two parks to Ealing Broadway. Plenty of young families round here, good schools, nice high street, decent curry houses. And, you can get to LR/KPF in 30-45 minutes.

Though funnily enough as someone originally from Notting Hill (now Northfields) I have my eye on moving out of London completely... that I imagine might just be an age thing... or I’m bored of life!

What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? on 23:56 - Aug 12 with 9524 viewsNewBee

I lived in South Ealing, then Northfields for nearly 20 years until 2009.

By the end, I was a bit disappointed by Northfields, it seemed to have gone down - shops closing, a bit shabby, that sort of thing.

Then earlier this year (pre-Covid), I had cause to go back there a few times and it definitely seemed to have picked up again recently. Dunno how/whether Covid will affect that, temporarily or permanently, but I generally liked the place.

And for public transport/accessibility, it's miles better than Hanwell imo. I mean, it's got a Tube station and if you need the overground, most places aren't far from either West Ealing or Ealing Broadway.

It's more expensive, housing-wise, than Hanwell, mind.

What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? on 01:54 - Aug 13 with 9482 viewsBoston

George Bone still around? Lost a bit of colour in a gas explosion a few years ago, could do with a touch up.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? on 05:38 - Aug 13 with 9458 viewsHayesender

I think he's semi retired now, but still working

Poll: Shamima Beghum

What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? on 09:10 - Aug 13 with 9315 viewsRBlock

A lot of casual racism thrown around on this thread

What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? on 10:11 - Aug 13 with 9238 viewsWEAREAWFUL

oh dear, cant even give an honest opinion on the population demographic of where you live without being called a racist. i give up

What’s it like to live in Hanwell / West Ealing? on 10:23 - Aug 13 with 9219 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Not sure your age, but if you watch Wham’s ‘Club Tropicana’ video, then you’ll get a pretty good idea.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024