Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlton Athletic 04:07 - Aug 23 with 329 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Charlton fans OCCUPY BOARDROOM at The Valley in protest at EFL club ownership rules amid ongoing dispute over control of club

Charlton Athletic fans are furious over the club's current takeover situation

They have occupied the boardroom in protest over some of the EFL's rules

Potential buyer Thomas Sandgaard believes a deal may be done this week

Charlton Athletic fans have had enough of their club's current situation, and have attempted to take matters into their own hands by occupying The Valley's stands and boardroom.

East Street Investments (ESI) controversially bought the club for just £1 in January from Roland Duchatelet, and a consortium run by businessman Paul Elliott recently took control of ESI. There is now a legal dispute over the ownership of Charlton Athletic.

Despite recently failing the EFL's Owners and Directors Test, Elliott is seeking a court injunction to try and prevent the sale of the club to rival Thomas Sandgaard.

'We have occupied this building and will not be leaving until the current owners of Charlton Athletic Football Club formally request, in person, that we vacate the premises with immediate effect,' says a statement from supporter group Fans4Fans.

Addicks fans are furious that their football club was allowed to be sold for £1 and then sold on to another buyer for more money. They have accused the EFL of having 'flaws in the Owners and Directors Test.'

Some supporters brandished £1 coins or left them around club legend Sam Bartram's statue outside the stadium, while a banner was brandished saying: 'Our pound is bigger and better than yours, #ESIOUT.'

There have been reports of several hundred fans gathering outside the stadium, while a smaller group made it inside the boardroom and in the stands.

'We also request an extensive update on why Paul Elliott has been able to formally lodge an injunction preventing the sale of Charlton Athletic Football Club and when this case is to be heard,' the statement continued.

'In addition, how can a man who has failed the owners and directors test, appeal the sale of a business he will not be able to sufficiently control or finance.'

The statement then went on to issue a threat to take things further: 'If this direct action does not bring about change for football clubs then we are left with no choice to attend the English Football League Headquarters and its sponsors offices and in turn take direct action against them.'

Fans of other clubs have also been invited to take part in this protest, with the letter citing similar tumultuous situations at Bury, Bolton, Wigan, and Coventry.

The group is suggesting that: 'funds should be proven and placed into an EFL club allocated account prior to completion of the purchase of a football club,' and that 'no club should be sold for £1.'

The statement concludes by saying: 'Football only exists because of fans. I has been taken from us by crooks, cheats and conmen. If has been officiated and regulated in a way that benefits these types of people, this needs to change, with immediate effect.'

According to Sky Sports, the protesters in The Valley's boardroom have spoken with Sandgaard by phone, and the businessman has said that he believes a deal can be done to purchase the club 'by the end of this week.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8654169/Charlton-fans-OCCUP

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Charlton Athletic on 18:52 - Aug 23 with 323 viewsspell_chekker

Sad, and selfish, to say but it plays into our hands.

Charlton, Wigan, and a couple of others would likely be big hitters in L1. More power to us if they're in turmoil.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

Charlton Athletic on 13:04 - Aug 27 with 319 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Lee Bowyer opens up on EFL transfer embargo — and reveals why Charlton can’t sign players

Charlton Athletic cannot bring in any new signings unless they free up spaces in their squad.

And the EFL are counting any players who have made a senior appearance for Lee Bowyer’s side as part of his first-team squad.

The Addicks have been under a transfer embargo since January due to East Street Investments not getting their takeover approved.

And Bowyer has spelled out the situation facing Charlton.

The EFL are saying they already have a 23-man squad — despite the fact that 12 senior ones moved on this summer.

“As it stands we can’t bring anyone in — even if we had all the money in the world,” said the Addicks manager. “We can’t sign anyone.

“We’re not allowed to sign anyone unless we let players go.

“We’re working behind the scenes to try and make some spaces available but it’s not easy. I’m being told ‘just be patient’ but it’s driving me mad. I can’t even do my job properly at the moment.”

Charlton play their first match on Tuesday as they take on AFC Wimbledon in the EFL Trophy.

But Bowyer says he could be forced to go full strength and not hand debuts to junior players because then they would automatically qualify to come into his squad if they do free up spaces.

EFL rules state every club must be allowed a 23-man squad.

“We were going to play the U23s because we’re still trying to prepare for the league,” said Bowyer. “That’s more important to me, to prepare for the first game of the season.

“I wanted a full week of training because as it stands we’re changing things around in the way we’re playing — we’ve got new bodies and players who didn’t play as much last year but are becoming main players. There is a lot of work on the training pitch, which we’re doing.

“If we were to lose three players and had played U23s then they become first-team players. The EFL are already saying that with players who have played 15 minutes a year or two years ago when they came on as a sub. But it was because we had so many injuries that we had to play players who weren’t ready. We had no choice — it was either that or play with nine men.

“They [the EFL] are trying to say they are first-team players — but they are not.

“That’s why we can’t bring no-one in. We should be able to bring in at least three players because at the moment some of those players aren’t part of the first-team squad in my eyes.

“But the EFL are saying they are because one player played a game two years ago. It’s pathetic.”

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-lee-bowyer-opens-up-on-efl-transfer-emb

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Charlton Athletic on 14:02 - Aug 27 with 310 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

The integrity of the competition......

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Charlton Athletic on 14:43 - Aug 27 with 302 viewsImperial

lest we forget we have had our own problems in the not too distant past.

Decent club chairmen need to support the movement for change. There are one or two prepared to stand up and be counted and I hope the Blackpool chairman will do the same.

Charlton Athletic on 15:01 - Aug 27 with 300 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

I wonder how many of the U23 squad that played for Bolton at the start of last season are going to be counted?

Charlton Athletic on 15:09 - Aug 27 with 297 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Imp

I think some of these owners say one thing on social media, then vote another way at the EFL meetings. Should make who voted which way public, so they can then explain to their fans why.

Charlton Athletic on 15:33 - Aug 27 with 295 viewsspell_chekker

I'd say we'd like to either sell or loan out:-

Feeney, Garrity, Nuttall, Madine, Devitt, and Yussuf. Possibly even Howe.

That makes 6, or maybe even as many as 7, spaces that are taken up in our 22 man squad by players we may not necessarily want.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

Charlton Athletic on 21:59 - Sep 2 with 273 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Charlton Athletic: League One club cannot be sold before 9 September

Charlton Athletic cannot be sold until 9 September at the earliest after a further ruling by the judge who refused to grant prospective owner Paul Elliott an injunction to prevent a sale to anyone else.

In a further twist to an already complicated saga, Judge Richard Pearce granted Elliott's legal team a seven-day injunction to allow them to request an appeal against Tuesday's original ruling.

Representing Elliott's Lex Dominus company, Paul Chaisty QC, said he was concerned "even a short delay"' in getting leave to appeal could mean Charlton was sold before a decision was reached.

The original decision opened the door for Tahnoon Nimer, through his East Street Investment company, to sell the club to US-based Dane, Thomas Sandgaard, who was at Charlton's EFL Trophy game against AFC Wimbledon on Tuesday evening

Sandgaard has previously outlined his intention to buy the club in interviews with the BBC and others.

"My starting point is to bring the club, the ground and the training ground back together. If I have to take it in multiple bites, I will do that," he said last month.

"How long it takes is hard to say, whether it is days, weeks. I certainly don't believe it to be a process that takes months.

"But I am not worried about it. Charlton is the perfect situation for me. The entire foundation is there."

Judge Pearce ruled there can be no sale until 1600 on 9 September.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54003094

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024