Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Don Masson Autobiography Out Soon 16:13 - Sep 2 with 3137 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I know so little about him as a person. Will definitely get this.

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/don-masson-still-saying-sorry/?fbclid=iwar1

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Don Masson Autobiography Out Soon on 16:22 - Sep 2 with 3110 viewsjeffranger

Great midfield maestro in that great side of the 70’s, not the stand out player with Stan & Gerry there but always held it together

Don Masson Autobiography Out Soon on 16:57 - Sep 2 with 3042 viewsloftboy

Went to score with his nephew, gave him a proper kick in after school one day after he threw a brick at me.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Don Masson Autobiography Out Soon on 16:57 - Sep 2 with 3040 viewsBeestonranger

Read Steak Diana Ross by David McVay to find out what the Notts County players thought of him and how pleased they were when he left for Rangers. Actually I would suggest reading the book anyway as a great read about football in the 1970s.

Don Masson Autobiography Out Soon on 18:50 - Sep 2 with 2866 viewsBoston

That’s the story we were told at the time. Masson, unpopular at County, questions about him fitting in at Loftus Rd. Playing in a successful squad reduces internecine conflict, don’t think he had many friends at Rangers but they didn’t have it in for him.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2020 18:52]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Don Masson Autobiography Out Soon on 19:05 - Sep 2 with 2839 viewsBostonR

What a player. Drove that 75/76 team forward and was a sublime passer of the ball. Hard as nails as well. I will get the book.

Don Masson Autobiography Out Soon on 20:09 - Sep 2 with 2738 viewsCiderwithRsie

I seem to remember Stan once saying he didn't like Don Masson much but that he was obviously a good player so everyone just got on with it.

Don Masson Autobiography Out Soon on 20:10 - Sep 2 with 2729 viewsNov77

just searched for it on google books and found this quote about Masson:

"It is Don Masson. Masson the Miserable, Masson the Merciless, our leader. Despite being the most obnoxious piece of work and about as popular as a turd arising in the communal bath...."

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Don Masson Autobiography Out Soon on 20:17 - Sep 2 with 2712 viewsNoDiddley

Stan didn’t like anybody or quote didn’t get along with them, possibly due to the fact he’d turn up outside Jim Gregory’s office asking for a sub for the dogs at White City etc..& they’d think how the feck does he get away with it 🤔

Don Masson Autobiography Out Soon on 21:12 - Sep 2 with 2599 viewsNov77

just reading an interview he did with a Notts newspaper:

How did the move to QPR in ‘74 come about?
I thought I would always be at Notts, but those days it was totally different, players were powerless. I didn’t have a phone at the time, and there was a knock at the door and it was Kathy, Jimmy’s wife. She said, “Jimmy’s just phoned he said to me ‘tell the little fella to meet me at the ground, he’s being sold.’”

Just like that?
That was how it was in those days, if someone offered the money, you went. The last thing Jimmy said to me before we got to QPR was, “Don’t sign for them, because I’ve got something to tell you afterwards.” Well, QPR were such a talented team then; I had the medical, and then I signed. I told Jimmy and he said, “what did I tell you, little fella? Tommy Docherty and Man Utd wanted to sign you, and that Revie fella at Leeds. That’s why I told you not to sign.”

Who believes this? why wouldn't he tell him before he signed? doesn't make sense.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Don Masson Autobiography Out Soon on 21:43 - Sep 2 with 2545 viewsVancouverHoop

In Stan's bio he says, at his first practice, Masson tried to tell him and Gerry Francis how to take free kicks. They ignored him after that.

Don Masson Autobiography Out Soon on 21:48 - Sep 2 with 2524 viewsCamberleyR

Sounds like bullshit. Don Revie was England manager when Masson signed for us at the tail end of 1974.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Don Masson Autobiography Out Soon on 21:56 - Sep 2 with 2498 viewsMyke

Ditto to the player and the book

Don Masson Autobiography Out Soon on 21:59 - Sep 2 with 2487 views18StoneOfHoop

Group member and naturalised american jtuck,
do me a flavour Pasadena-bound US naturalised big brother
and sort me out a pre-order copy by CC for my birthday 55 on 23/9/65
My Bruvva Is My Keeper FFS! DO YOUR JOB mister of the bulging wallet

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Don Masson Autobiography Out Soon on 08:50 - Sep 3 with 2210 viewsMrSheen

United were in the second division too, but obviously not going to stay there long.

Was Masson the only member of the 1976 squad who played in a World Cup? Certainly the only one to miss a penalty in the World Cup.

Don Masson Autobiography Out Soon on 10:32 - Sep 3 with 2083 viewsTheChef

I assume by Jimmy they mean long-standing, gorgeous, pouting Notts County manager Jimmy Sirrel.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Don Masson Autobiography Out Soon on 10:48 - Sep 3 with 2062 viewsBoston

Jimmy Squirrel.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Don Masson Autobiography Out Soon on 10:56 - Sep 3 with 2047 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Followed Beestonrangers advice and downloaded Steak Diana Ross for £1.99 Kindle version.

They definitely didn't like Don, but hugely respected him

Will now never be able to look at a bottle of ketchup in an eating establishment without a surge of nausea.

Don Masson Autobiography Out Soon on 11:07 - Sep 3 with 2031 viewsMrSheen

Later on in the interview he says that he played for Tommy Doc at Derby and really hated him, saying he should have listened to the people who warned him about his character. Heads you win...

Don Masson Autobiography Out Soon on 11:22 - Sep 3 with 2019 viewsPinnerPaul

Most underrated player in that side and maybe one of our most underrated players full stop.

Don't often see him in the 'All time great QPR players list' but for me he is up there in the top 10 at least.

Don Masson Autobiography Out Soon on 11:33 - Sep 3 with 1997 viewsonlyrinmoray

Last thing I heard about him was that he was running a b&b in Nottinghamshire with his wife Excellent player by all accounts I never saw him play though I had moved to Scotland by then Didn’t see much English football in those days

Don Masson Autobiography Out Soon on 11:44 - Sep 3 with 1987 viewsCamberleyR

Just watched a Big Match Revisited from September 1974 where Notts County v Southampton in the second division was one of the featured games. Notts won 3-2, DM scored the third from a coolly taken penalty and made the other two which were headers scored directly from his really good corner kicks.

I've mentioned it before but it was amazing that no first division club took a punt on him before we did. Whether they thought he lacked pace I don't know but like a player such as Teddy Sheringham it shows that pace isn't everything when you have a really excellent football brain. I think more than anything it shows what a fantastic judge of a player Dave Sexton was to sign him.

Don Masson Autobiography Out Soon on 12:02 - Sep 3 with 1958 viewsCamberleyR

That move to Derby where he was swapped for Leighton James was disastrous and ultimately suited neither player.

You wonder whether being unhappy at Derby affected his form several months later at the World Cup where his last action in a Scottish shirt was missing the penalty against Peru that might have led to a different result had he scored it before we got the Teofilo Cubillas show.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2020 12:04]

Don Masson Autobiography Out Soon on 12:31 - Sep 3 with 1908 viewsTheChef

I'm probably wrong, but wasn't Masson the captain at that World Cup?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Don Masson Autobiography Out Soon on 13:03 - Sep 3 with 1869 viewsMrSheen

That would be the great Bruce Rioch.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024