Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Starving Students 06:56 - Oct 11 with 561 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Covid: Student anger over 'junk' food parcels in isolation

Universities are facing anger from students over conditions some have faced while self-isolating in campus accommodation.

Students have criticised the cost and quality of food provided to them by universities while in isolation.

Undergraduates say food parcels have often been filled with "junk", meaning they have had to request fresh fruit and vegetables from parents.

Institutions said they were working hard to provide students with supplies.

People told to self-isolate because of coronavirus must stay at home for at least 10 days under rules punishable by fines.

Universities UK has issued guidance on best practice for supporting students who are required to self-isolate.

'Expensive prison'

First-year economics and politics student Tess Bailie, 18, began a social media campaign after hearing of especially poor conditions for those isolating on her campus.

Out-of-date food and a lack of catering for religious and dietary requirements are among the complaints at the University of Edinburgh's Pollock Halls, dubbed the "UK's most expensive prison".

"Students are saying the only thing saving them was the fact that half of them have Covid and they can't taste it anyway," Ms Bailie said, referring to a common Covid-19 symptom.

The University of Edinburgh admitted there had been a "few occasions when students' needs have not been met". But it said these were addressed quickly with work taking place to improve its systems.

In a statement, the university said: "Ensuring the safety and wellbeing of our students continues to be our absolute priority.

"We have teams of staff working 24 hours a day to provide those who are self-isolating in our catered and self-catered residences with three meals a day - including ready-to-heat meals - in line with their dietary requirements and preferences. Essential items are also being delivered on request."

At the University of York, students are given the option of a £70 meal deal providing a sandwich, crisps, chocolate bar and water for every day they are in self-isolation. For three meals a day, students are charged £170 for the isolation period.

While the university said the food was freshly made, Claire Baseley, a registered nutritionist, said a daily sandwich would be unlikely to provide adequate nutrition for those self-isolating.

"It is important that people do get a variety of vitamins and minerals to support their immune system," she said.

'Send veggies'

A first-year psychology student at the University of Birmingham said she and her flatmates must now spend their weekly catering allowance on boxes of food that have included Pot Noodles and frozen ready meals.

They received an initial box free of charge as soon as they reported their self-isolation, but future supplies are uncertain and will come at a cost of £28 per person for six days.

She said: "We don't know if that is enough food to last for our period of isolation in terms of fresh food and vegetables which are lacking. It's a lot of just like frozen stuff in there.

"We don't know what will be in the next box but because of the [first box] people from my flat have contacted home and asked for them to send things like vegetables."

While online teaching has been working well, there are shortages of things such as toilet paper and a £30 charge for washing 7kg of clothes has gone down badly with many students, she added.

The University of Birmingham said its initial food boxes were designed to last two to three days and include ready meals cooked by in-house chefs, which are designed to be nutritious. It said responses to surveys of students were "very positive" and that the laundry service is offered at a discount by a local dry cleaning company.

Crisps for breakfast

At the University of Nottingham, one history student said the university should have been more prepared for possible cases - and students having to isolate - after it took a week for issues with food supplies to be resolved.

The teenager is in catered halls with breakfast and dinner usually provided and £25 for lunches each week - but she has been self-isolating after testing positive for coronavirus.

Meals have been provided - but she said some days, lunches weren't brought. And one day, her breakfast was crisps, a chocolate bar, an apple and a juice box - while the person in a neighbouring room had bread, butter and jam.

"It was really bad," she said. "They kept missing days. I tried calling as well, but no-one answered."

Things have improved in recent days, she added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54486269

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Starving Students on 11:35 - Oct 11 with 551 viewsROTTWEILERS

I had every sympathy with students - being illegally deprived of their liberty and all that - right up until I saw them bumming free beer the other day.

Go Out. See People. Live Your Lives.
Poll: Player of the Season vote

Starving Students on 20:21 - Oct 11 with 533 viewsspell_chekker

The whole education system has become elitist.

Hope it changes.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

Starving Students on 20:32 - Oct 11 with 531 viewsspudgun

Students prioritise beer shocker!

Whilst I agree that further education is a good thing for society in general, too many youngsters go to uni now and into `non-essential` degrees.

Degrees could be condensed into half the time for many courses, with a corresponding reduction in fees and rents...

Starving Students on 20:47 - Oct 11 with 530 viewsspell_chekker

When I waz a student there were 'birds' in my class (tweet, tweet) with fishnet's and Mohican's.

My mates were a mixture of rockers, student types, skinheads, and punks. There were other circles who had green hair and did stuff like that.

We all all scraped by on what were at the time reduced grants compared to the golden years.

The current batch all seem a bit conventional.

Not progress in my opinion.

It's the way society / culture has evolved for the worse.

Not how young people are better / worse but a reflection of what is available.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.

Starving Students on 20:57 - Oct 11 with 528 viewsspudgun

When I have met young spud`s student friends they all seem really sensible and savvy. Perhaps they just put it on for me, then get back to having Monster on their sugarpuffs for breakfast...

Starving Students on 21:04 - Oct 11 with 528 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

What's wrong with crisp butties for breakfast?

I blame the parents.

I've spent quite a few years training uni grads, can be a sodding nightmare. Quality of degree courses need looking at, and also some more help for mature students. Education system is too rigid.

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Starving Students on 21:27 - Oct 11 with 522 viewsspell_chekker

I'm not all that sure about your current uni students but last year, when I was driving up Highfield Road, to see my sister, it was chucking out time at the local 'comprehensive' school - academy'

All the young lads had skewed their uniforms as much as they could in order to look like thugs / hard cases and all the young girls had adapted their uniforms to look like sluts.

Sorry to use those words. Willing to be corrected.

All very disappointing if those are the targets that society gives them.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024