Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well that was a mistake 16:50 - Feb 7 with 1823 viewsImperial

I have from time to time read and on the odd occasion posted on AVFTT. My contributions have been weeks or months apart.

I suppose in hindsight it was inevitable that I would be sucked into a debate that led to me reaching for my blood pressure medication and questioning the future of humanity. I have now unpinned the site.

A small mistake in the scheme of life and lockdown but frustrating when there was no need to enter a debate which was in hindsight only going one way.

Is self control or self expression more important?

Well that was a mistake on 19:57 - Feb 7 with 1808 viewsspudgun

A good question, Imp.

I originally used to post on AVFTT because I liked the idea of self-expression and thinking about my view of current events, trying to articulate it, constructing a defence if challenged, or indeed re-thinking it completely. I would sometimes joust with one or two for perhaps too long but mostly in a good spirit.

Which was fine until it got too toxic, and there were too many posters wanting an argument. I then didn`t post for over a year, and came on here which was more like a friendly pub meeting.

It`s not good for the blood pressure when you are arguing instead of discussing.

I do post again now on AVFTT (about approx 10 times per week) but stay away from one or two who are just looking for trouble and are tedious and repetitive (20togo springs to mind).

Social media should be about information and mirth - if it isn`t either of those, I ain`t really interested.

It`s easy to get sucked in to an exchange but I haven`t had a problem because I don`t really do `dialogues` with other posters now.

I understand your frustration, and to answer you question, it is all about balance and avoiding the elephant traps.

Oh! And stay away from anything potentially racist, or Brexitty, or Covid, or...

Well that was a mistake on 20:33 - Feb 7 with 1805 viewsspell_chekker

The new AVFTT is much better than the old one.

I look at the site approximately once ever couple of days to get info about BFC but I'll never post there again.

I never look at the politics / covid side of their board, only the football.

I'm discouraged from posting on there because of the poster called '20Togo'. As I'm an exile and don't go to games he weighs in with his god awful opinions and I'm not allowed to voice my concerns.

Apart from that poster - there are a lot less on the new site - there is / was a back scratching boys club of racist / sexist / Billy Big Xollocks / ITK posters. Sort of middle aged football hooligans.

That's much diminished on the new site.

As far as I can see, that mob have started the Armfield Club - a place I'll never set foot in.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 7:08]

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

Well that was a mistake on 08:23 - Feb 8 with 1789 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

There's that ting element on there, who think their opinion is a God given fact The pub bore without a pub to go to. Family and friends don't really listen to them, Social Media is their only outlet at the moment.

Did the paranoia police not accuse you of being one of BRR multi user accounts?
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 8:29]

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Well that was a mistake on 19:33 - Feb 8 with 1770 viewsspell_chekker

I'm BRR3.

Fact.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.

Well that was a mistake on 19:40 - Feb 8 with 1768 viewsspudgun

*Stands up defiantly*

"I`m BRR3!"...

Well that was a mistake on 19:44 - Feb 8 with 1765 viewsspell_chekker

I'm BRR3 and I take pelters!!!

Well that was a mistake on 20:00 - Feb 8 with 1762 viewsspudgun

"I`m BRR3, `cos I know what didaskaleinophobia means, and I`m not afraid to use it."....

Well that was a mistake on 19:43 - Feb 27 with 1723 viewsspell_chekker

We now have away wins at both Portsmouth and Charlton.

It's less than a month or so ago that people on AVFTT were calling for Critchley's head.

Dongers.

Well that was a mistake on 20:38 - Feb 27 with 1709 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Oi, I'm watching you.

I'm sure AVFTT has been a zoo throughout the two decades that I've been using it, but the toxicity has been a problem of the last eight for nine years or so, for obvious reasons. And to be honest, I think what causes it varies from time to time.

I'd say that the main problem with the site at the moment is racism. There are a small number who have always been there, and a couple sneaking back on from BHS. It doesn't take many to soil it for everyone else.

Anyway, that's it for now. Sit up straight the lot of you.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Well that was a mistake on 11:06 - Feb 28 with 1686 viewsspudgun

Racism is certainly a part of it, but a creeping nationalism and growing intolerance perhaps plays a major part; I suppose it is all heads of the same hydra.

Also, as we`ve become more politically engaged as a nation over the last five or so years, it allows a certain element to interpret `political news facts` as a confirmation bias of their latent prejudices.

And some are just out and out f***wits...

Well that was a mistake on 18:47 - Feb 28 with 1673 viewsspell_chekker

I assume you're referring to the politics part of the AVFTT board. I don't read it, or perhaps have scanned over it twice in the last year.

On the BFC front, in my opinion, unrest is caused by the "Pilley camp" who've had their noses put out and will never accept Simon Sadler as our owner - only my opinion of course.

I'll now go and stand in the bad boys' corner.

Well that was a mistake on 19:52 - Feb 28 with 1661 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Funny you should say that about the anti-Sadler mentality checks. Not many think like that, but they are there. And they aren't necessarily the people you might think.

One of the biggest changes I've noticed is that the club doesn't leak like a bloody sieve anymore. It is immeasurably better for it. They actually think hard about communication - how to do it, who they need to reach, what the key messaging is. It's very refreshing.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Well that was a mistake on 21:03 - Feb 28 with 1652 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Yup, communication is in a different league now. The digital media side has come on leaps and bounds.

I like the structured dialogue meetings as well, especially as they seem willing to give facts and answers that some fans might not like.

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024