Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Abandoned Game 12:30 - Feb 13 with 4071 viewsDannyPaddox

By chance I recently bought this semi-rare programme of an abandoned QPR game from the 60s. It plopped thru the door only Thursday. And then Friday I heard Saturday’s game was called off. Spooky.

Your starter for ten is why was the game against Walsall abandoned and what are the tenuous links to a flying pig and a stranded kangaroo?

Ps: Brain of Barlby Rd - you keep out of this!

Abandoned Game on 13:20 - Feb 13 with 3066 viewsBucksRanger

Power failure? Floodlights gave up the ghost.

No idea about the pigs and kangaroos.

Abandoned Game on 13:29 - Feb 13 with 3035 viewsDannyPaddox

Yes a power failure but there’s more. Or rather there wasn’t any more. But there’s more to the story.

Abandoned Game on 13:34 - Feb 13 with 3012 viewsterryb

I assume it was abandoned as the referee got fed up with the moaning of Alan Clarke!

Why did the Walsall goalkeeper only have his surname printed? Is this discrimination of visiting 'keepers?

Abandoned Game on 13:37 - Feb 13 with 3003 viewsLongsufferingR

They just forgot the space. His name was Ken Ning.

Abandoned Game on 13:38 - Feb 13 with 3001 viewsBucksRanger

Ah! I remember a power outage in London when I was a young teen - 1963 or 64. Wasn't that to do with a fire at Battersea Power Station? Which could explain the flying pig reference on a Pink Floyd(?) album. Still don't know about the kangaroo unless it started the fire.

I was into astronomy at the time and it was a rare night when the darkness over London allowed a clear view of the stars.

Edit: just looked up the QPR results at end of that season.

4 games in the last 7 days.

And we were unbeaten in all of them.

25 Apr 1964 Notts County v Queens Park Rangers D 2-2 League Division Three
27 Apr 1964 Queens Park Rangers v Barnsley D 2-2 League Division Three
29 Apr 1964 Queens Park Rangers v Luton Town D 1-1 League Division Three
01 May 1964 Queens Park Rangers v Walsall W 3-0 League Division Three

[Post edited 13 Feb 2021 13:47]

Abandoned Game on 13:57 - Feb 13 with 2962 viewsterryb

Thank you.

I would never have come up with that as an answer!

Abandoned Game on 14:02 - Feb 13 with 2949 viewsDannyPaddox

Check the Walsall right back too (No.2) Palin Granville. In the rearranged fixture he was replaced by Granville Palin. Maybe Granville started the fire to give the QPR programme editor a second chance at his name.

Abandoned Game on 14:16 - Feb 13 with 2911 viewsDannyPaddox

Well done Bucks. There was indeed a fire at the Battersea Power Station which apparently put West London in darkness. Also affected was the BBC studios who were launching BBC2 that very evening. They’d been using a kangaroo as a logo and thought for the first night they get a real Kangaroo. It got trapped in a lift when the power went and apparently went mental.

Its just struck me I got trapped (very briefly) in a lift in the BBC Centre last week. How weird. Could there be some cosmic meaning to all this? Was I a kangaroo in a previous life? What would Glen Hoddle say?

[Post edited 13 Feb 2021 14:23]

Abandoned Game on 15:02 - Feb 13 with 2839 viewsShotKneesHoop

That was a truly shocking team we had assembled in 1963/64, but it was my first full season of supporting the R's. This was when I had left school and I could afford the 3 bob entry,the tanner for the programme and the half crown return fare on the 105 bus and the Piccadilly line. When you start work on £3 a week - thats a big financial commitment.

The R's were so awful that they were actually fun to watch. They just managed to stay out of the relegation places that year. I was one of the 3,265 home crowd that saw them beat Oldham 3 -0 in December when I had most of the school end to myself,

I loved the smell of that old ground, stale fags and damp clay.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2021 15:09]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Abandoned Game on 15:06 - Feb 13 with 2824 viewsBoston

Course back then you finished school at 11, then you had the choice of chimney sweep, pickpocketing or the Navy.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Abandoned Game on 16:34 - Feb 13 with 2741 viewsShotKneesHoop

6 "O" levels - and good bye school and hello London County Council at 16. Watching Rangers was grown up stuff then. None of your poncey bottles of lager and greasy burgers. A pint and a packet of Percy Daltons standing on the half way line and I was in heaven then. Football has been going down the whazz ever since.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2021 16:37]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Abandoned Game on 16:41 - Feb 13 with 2710 viewsHayesender

No 7 Seth, is that the fella who used to own the Barbers with his dad and brother on the Uxbridge Rd opposite the Adelaide?

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Abandoned Game on 16:45 - Feb 13 with 2706 viewsted_hendrix

*They’d been using a kangaroo as a logo and thought for the first night they get a real Kangaroo. It got trapped in a lift when the power went and apparently went mental.*

Not to sure how I'd have reacted to waiting for a lift and when it turned up and the doors opened there was a kangaroo going mental.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Abandoned Game on 18:02 - Feb 13 with 2621 viewsDannyPaddox

Eye-witness accounts say he was hopping mad.

Abandoned Game on 18:20 - Feb 13 with 2577 viewsGuppy

Whats that skip? You were lost in the mine?

Abandoned Game on 18:21 - Feb 13 with 2566 viewsBoston

Doubt ‘Joey’ was operating the lift on his own.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Abandoned Game on 18:25 - Feb 13 with 2558 viewskernowhoop

Anyone notice the Walsall centre forward?

Abandoned Game on 18:29 - Feb 13 with 2541 viewsDannyPaddox

Cmon Bos. We’re supposed to be ignoring him.

Abandoned Game on 18:31 - Feb 13 with 2536 viewsTGRRRSSS

Former Leeds player, it's him, 74 now - only 17 on the day of the match as his birthday is in July
[Post edited 13 Feb 2021 18:32]

Abandoned Game on 19:08 - Feb 13 with 2479 viewsShotKneesHoop

And I bet he was getting more than £3 a week back then!

Abandoned Game on 19:14 - Feb 13 with 2471 viewsqprxtc

I’m switching to BBC2. Oh hang on.......

Abandoned Game on 19:24 - Feb 13 with 2446 viewsqprxtc

I was in a lift with John Simpson at TV Centre once.

Little known fact about John Simpson. He knows a lot about the politics of the world. But before he got in that lift, he didn’t know much about QPR. That sixty second journey was an education for him.

Abandoned Game on 19:49 - Feb 13 with 2424 viewsDannyPaddox

I remember being in the Olympia Exhibition Centre, or the annexed building on the Hammersmith Road called Olympia 2 and I’m in this big service lift and the lift has its own operator who opens the gated doors for you, asks you which of the three floors you want (seeing as you’re already on one of the floors there’s only really a choice of two) and presses the desired button for you. So there we are just me and the old boy lift attendant - kitted out in a cap and a uniform - and I thought I’d strike up a conversation with him so I ask him if he enjoyed working in the travel industry. He sort of smiled but didn’t reply. Maybe you’re not supposed to talk to them while the thing is moving.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2021 19:50]

Abandoned Game on 13:43 - Feb 16 with 2137 viewsgazza1

Why was that a 'truly shocking team'.....some decent players there. Bedford, Johnny Collins, proper CB in Ray Brady, very good left footer in Peter Angell and there are a few more too, Stuart Leary as well.

Abandoned Game on 14:05 - Feb 16 with 2111 viewsShotKneesHoop

If you watched that lot every game at home and about 50% of away games you wouldn't need to ask that question. Ray Brady, Pat Brady, Terry McQuade, George McLeod, Vic Mobley, Andy Malcolm, Frank Smith and company just avoided relegation that year. The following year the juniors took over and you could see the difference between the two teams then.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024