Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Child hood holidays. 19:47 - Feb 13 with 7699 viewsqpr_1968

where did you go as a kid.

every year, 60,s and early 70;s valley farm, clacton caravan site, except for 1973.....
that was butlins in clacton.
1968 was leysdown on the isle of sheppey, then it sounded posh, but its essex....
worse beach ever, quick sand more like.
always 2 weeks of sunshine though.

first time abroad was portugal, but 33 and a couple of kids then...

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Child hood holidays. on 19:58 - Feb 13 with 2661 viewsloftboy

When very small Bognor, camber sands, after the age 12 pentewan sands near mevagissey, even if we went abroad which was only 3 times we still went down to Cornwall as well.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Child hood holidays. on 20:00 - Feb 13 with 2652 viewsNoDiddley

Born in 58 , so it was St.Osyth, Leysdown, Clacton & now the infamous Jaywick. Sometimes to Margate & Ramsgate but every year Mum & Dad would take us on holiday. We eventually conquered Spain in 1969, entroviaform & tea bags in the luggage.
Happy days😎

Child hood holidays. on 20:01 - Feb 13 with 2648 viewsMrSheen

Apart from 2 years when we stayed in England, Ireland every year. My grandparents’ farm on the Tipp-Waterford border, then their tiny house in Mitchelstown once they passed the farm on to my uncle, then outside Ballyporeen in an old wreck of a cottage my Dad bought. Same every year, endless driving, boring ferry, then rounds of family visits, jumping up and down in hay barns and countless games of darts and pool in the pub.

First saw the Mediterranean when I was 23, I couldn’t believe how bright everything was.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2021 20:03]

Child hood holidays. on 20:05 - Feb 13 with 2632 viewsdezzar

Sheppey is Kent mate

Child hood holidays. on 20:09 - Feb 13 with 2607 viewsqpr_1968

my apologys, getting mixed up with clacton....

Child hood holidays. on 20:17 - Feb 13 with 2585 viewsessextaxiboy

Burnham on Sea in Somerset

My dad was evacuated near there to a place called Worle near Weston super Mare . We stayed on a farm that served up a massive cooked breakfast every morning.

We would go to the cattle market on a Monday to see the animals then buy a fishing permit for the River Huntspill for the week , never caught a thing . Cricket on Weston beach and a round of the putting green on the promenade which was tended like St Andrews . There and back in a Ford Anglia estate.

Mrs Taxiboy and I went back there for our honeymoon in 1981 when i was old enough to drink the cloudy cider .

Child hood holidays. on 20:18 - Feb 13 with 2582 viewsHantsR

Pagham. Not much sand but we liked the old bungalows that were converted railway carriages - even had No Smoking signs and leather straps for sash windows. We stayed up to 3 weeks with our cousins whilst our various parents (from big East End family) took it in turns to look after us/ have time off.

Child hood holidays. on 20:19 - Feb 13 with 2576 viewsCamberleyR

First went abroad age 14 and up until then it was Ireland to visit my Dad's family four times, couple of times to Cornwall, north Wales just before the 1976 heatwave and Woolacombe, Devon during the heatwave and Hopton-on-Sea, Norfolk when the 1974 World Cup was on. Many fond happy memories of the Irish family holidays and days out down the beach at Dollymount, Portmarnock, Malahide and Bray.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Child hood holidays. on 20:24 - Feb 13 with 2562 viewsqpr_1968

used to do the walk along the front from jaywick, via clacton, holland on sea, frinton and end up in walton on the naze.
got a bus back.

Child hood holidays. on 20:26 - Feb 13 with 2553 viewsdezzar

Used to look from the Canvey Island shore accross the Estuary and dream of being in Sheppey

Child hood holidays. on 20:42 - Feb 13 with 2521 viewsjeffranger

Seasalter in Kent & near whitstable late 50/60’s mum & dad owned a caravan, not a great place but had plenty of friends there

Child hood holidays. on 20:51 - Feb 13 with 2499 viewsQPRSteve

My mum was from Plymouth so every other year we stayed down there with relatives and would go out on coach trips around Devon and Cornwall.

Dartmeet was my favourite place. Each visit we would take a magical mystery coach tour and every time it would end up at the same place - Calstock. A place with nothing to recommend it as a tourist destination.

Child hood holidays. on 20:57 - Feb 13 with 2470 views2Thomas2Bowles

No holidays as such, a day now and again at Jaywick or Caister was about it as lived in Bury St Edmunds in the 60''s and pretty poor.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2021 21:00]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Child hood holidays. on 21:02 - Feb 13 with 2464 viewsqpr_1968

you don't seem to be the luckiest of chaps thomas.
i just hope there is a silver lining somewhere/sometime for you.

Child hood holidays. on 21:05 - Feb 13 with 2441 views2Thomas2Bowles

Heaven awaits for believers...

Oh Bugger

My Mum's family were from Gorey Ireland I have some photos of her and her sisters and the 2 room house they lived in, 11 of them. proper poor.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2021 21:21]

Child hood holidays. on 21:13 - Feb 13 with 2426 viewspaulparker

It varied for us , one of my nans had a chalet on the isle of sheppy so we we would go there
Or my other nan would take us to pontins or Warner’s in the isle of white, Bognor, or camber sands I remember doing the soccer classes with Brian greenoff & Trevor cherry & watching the wrestling in the main hall
We were lucky as kids as my mum and dad would also take us to Spain
Happy care free days

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Child hood holidays. on 21:22 - Feb 13 with 2391 viewshantssi

It was caravans, chalets of farm houses (if we went with friends) to Cornwall, Devon or Pembrokeshire.
My dad did a pools round to pay for it.
First went abroad with mates when I was 22 to Ibiza although we did go to the Scilly Isles after my O Levels in 77.
My kids moaned if we couldn’t have a skiing holiday AND 2 weeks abroad in the summer, 1st world problems!

Child hood holidays. on 21:22 - Feb 13 with 2377 viewsted_hendrix

No holidays as I spent most of my childhood in various children homes, I do vaguely remember the old man turning up in an old Austin Seven once and taking me and me Sister out for the day to Canvey Island, another time he took us to Southend also just for the day, from what I can remember I was awe struck by the Kursaal, the smell of the seaside and fish and chips, that's it, that's how it was times were tough/hard.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Child hood holidays. on 21:32 - Feb 13 with 2362 viewsDavieQPR

In the 50's it was the same B&B for about 8 years running in Margate.

Child hood holidays. on 21:32 - Feb 13 with 2363 viewsBrixtonR

Nice one 68!

Every year Minnis Bay, did a few others as wel UK trips well Lincolnshire and Wales, fair play to my Dad.

Also went to Pevensey bay (stones bleaugh) to see my posh scary Auntie Bowman who lived in West Ham (near there), I was totally gutted that I didn't see the ground.

1978 I was massively QPR but with no history, but after I'd seen the Theatre of Football and real fans at New Cross and then cos i had a QPR badge on my shirt I found out that my Uncles sister was married to George Goddard and my uncles Dad was George Bowman who apperently QPR manager in the war...........

Holiday Celebrate..We Are QPR

Child hood holidays. on 21:36 - Feb 13 with 2353 viewsqpr_1968

brilliant.....

Child hood holidays. on 21:36 - Feb 13 with 2352 viewsdanehoop

My Dad was in the Navy, he had spent quite a lot of time in Devon and Hampshire and so we ended up going to Plymouth as a base and then visiting Devon and Cornwall a lot each year. We also used to go to the New Forest and Dorset quite a bit, Bournemouth was certainly a regular trip.

We also went on holidays to where they had previously been posted so went to Malta quite a bit as my parents had a particular soft spot for (made much more affordable because he joined British Airways a few years after leaving the Navy).

Never knowingly understood

Child hood holidays. on 21:39 - Feb 13 with 2333 views2Thomas2Bowles

I did have one holiday but it was while I was in foster care about 8 years old when my mum had a breakdown.

A pony tracking weekend in North Wales all I really remember was the rain but still wonderful.

Child hood holidays. on 21:43 - Feb 13 with 2328 viewsterryb

I think my parents saved all year so that we could go on holiday. Sometimes we even had a fortnight & in later times a couple of different weeks away. My parents & three of us went along with my Gran & maiden aunt. I think I've now written & realised how we afforded them!

The first holiday I have any memory of was Broadstairs (I think at the age of 4), but the majority were to Devon or Cornwall staying in B&B's. We did visit Wales two or three times & on one of these trips we bumped into a family on the beach who also came from Chesham. The two fathers played for Chesham United together in the early '50's.

My sister died in 1967 in a car crash in Yugoslavia & the last holiday the remaining four of us went on was in 1969 when I was 17. We drove to Yugoslavia to make my one & only visit to Pat's grave (I still miss you lass) & then we left our parents there while we drove to Athens, picking them up in Dubrovnik (my favourite city in the world) on the return.

These holidays were one of the main highlights of my childhood!

Child hood holidays. on 21:46 - Feb 13 with 2310 views2Thomas2Bowles

Bless your poor sister and your family.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024