Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Team Selection 16:18 - Jul 31 with 2193 viewsspell_chekker

Grimshaw
Connolly, Ekpiteta, Williams, Thompson
Carey, Fiorini, Virtue, Bowler, Yates
Madine

As far as formations go, it seems to me like we're playing 4 at the back and a lone striker as the constants. The other 5 outfield players adapt to whatever phase of play may exist and so we could be transitioning between loads of different formations (could be 4-5-1, 4-1-4-1, 4-3-3 or something else at any given moment).

Surprises:
- Yates playing wide.
- Fiorini playing deep.

Debuts:
Fiorini: Played well particularly in the first half showing dome excellent vision.
Thompson: Solid, clean sheet.
Williams: Not in any trouble, clean sheet
Corbeanu: Couldn't be judged after coming on late

Subs: didn't have any effect on proceedings. The number of changes was quite bewildering. The subs came on lateish.
Dougall for Virtue (65mins)
Lavery for Madine (71 mins)
Corbeanu for Carey (82 mins)
Thorniley for Thompson (83 mins)
Hamilton for Yates (83 mins)

MoM:
I don't know. Fiorini perhaps for his first half showing or maybe a defender should get it for the clean sheet.

I'll have to go for Connolly clean sheet and a goal.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

Team Selection on 22:08 - Jul 31 with 1462 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Early days.

Not sure we have forwards to play 4-3-3.

MotM Bowler then Marv for me.

Our fitness was a worry in the 2nd half.

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Team Selection on 06:36 - Aug 7 with 1441 viewsspell_chekker

Grimshaw
Bowler, Virtue, Fiorini, Carey, Yates
Madine

Subs:
Madine off injured after 21 mins to be replaced by Corbeanu - Yates then played number 9.
Dougall for Virtue at half time.
Patino for Fiorini after 70 mins
Lavery for Yates after 82 mins.

Surprises:
Persisting with Madine (and then Yates) alone up front.
Fiorini deep lying.
Inexpeienced and lightweight midfield 3 of Fiorini, Virtue and Carey - 2 of whom are coming back from long lay offs and the other a newbie.

Debut:
Patino coming on as a sub.

MoM:
There wasn't one. I'll go for Bowler.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.

Team Selection on 06:55 - Aug 7 with 1436 viewsspell_chekker

The window's not closed but with our current squad we've got to play 2 up front and set the midfield up to be more combative.

Yates and Madine upfront until we get someone else.

It's difficult to know what to do in midfield with the players available. This highlights the injury problems and recruitment strategy, we're crying out for a robust left sided midfielder. It's far from ideal but the least we can do at the moment is to squeeze both Virtue and Dougall into the same starting line up.

Team Selection on 04:27 - Aug 10 with 1417 viewsspell_chekker

Maxwell
Connolly, Ekpiteta, Thorniley, Thompson
Corbeanu, Fiorini, Dougall, Patino, Hamilton
Lavery

Subs (4 subs used)
Husband for Thompson after 61mins
Gabriel for Dougall after 61 mins (allowing Connolly to shuffle over into midfield)
Lubala for Corbeanu after 62 mins
Carey for Patino after 70mins

Surprises
- Despite 7 changes from Saturday's starting line up we fielded what could be considered to be a strong team.

Positives
- Husband and Gabriel coming back after injury.
- Loan players bedding in
- Players adapting to Appleton's system
- 65% possession
- 16 shots on target

Team Selection on 04:49 - Aug 11 with 1403 viewsspell_chekker

Applton's not trying to get the best out of the players he has available, he's got a fixed footballing philosophy that he seems to be sticking to.

I've spent some time trying to figure out what his philosophy entails, how and why he's setting the team out like he is.

I may be way off the mark but here are some thoughts that've given me some hope that it can all work out with a bit of practice and if we make a couple of signings.

3 things without the ball:

1) Setting up with a clear 4-5-1 defensive block
2) Not pressing
3) Middle defensive line - not a high line nor defending deep

Disadvantages:

By not pressing and staying in a disciplined 4-5-1 we're challenging the opposition to have a go and break us down which unfortunately is what's happening at the moment. Our defensive block should be hard to break through when it's well drilled but currently we're getting swept aside because we're not used to playing the system.

Advantages:

Not pressing means we're saving energy and not getting dragged out of position. The theory is that when we get the ball and are in a disciplined 4-5-1 shape we're ready to attack agressively with lots of energy and movement therefore putting a lot into retaining possession and dominating the game. Ready to burst into life and execute so to speak.

Also, playing the defensive middle line compresses play enough to put us in a position that favours moving the ball and keeping possession to attack and dictate.

Other points:

This onus on possession and moving the ball is why Fiorini's been tested as the sitting midfielder.

Keeping and moving the ball means there's no place for either Lavery or Hamilton.

A purist may even drop Ekpiteta and go with a cente half pairing of Williams and Thorniley.

Not sure about the full backs yet but the signs are that they'll remain conservative.

As far as I can tell that's what I reckon's happening, or at least what Appleton is trying to make happen. It's not working yet but could well do with a couple more players, a fit squad and more practice.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2022 5:00]

Team Selection on 05:37 - Aug 11 with 1375 viewsspell_chekker

For example, a fully fit and balanced squad could fare very well when up to speed with things.

Grimshaw
Gabriel, Ekpiteta Williams, Husband
Stewart
Bowler, Fiorini / Patino, Anderson, New Player
New Player

Team Selection on 18:08 - Aug 13 with 1344 viewsspell_chekker

Today's match against Swansea confirme that we're setting up to play as I thought.

The problems we have is that our defensive block isn't solid enough and we can't execute our possession and attacking drills.

Crikey !!!!!!

I'm convinced with a couple of signings, coaching and match time that everything'll come together.

I hope Appleton sticks with it. I understood and appreciated why Critchley changed to the 4-4-2, he had success with it. However, I didn't like the fact that he never went back to a more modern way of playing. In the end he left us in a position with an unbalanced and unadaptable squad that is finding it difficult to transition to a new way.

Playing the way, or attempting to play, we are now is a template that can be applied to all levels, depatments, philosopies and teams at BFC - that's something that couldn't be done with the reactionary 4-4-2.

There's a plan and now I know for sure what it is I reckon it could pay off if we have the courage to see it through.

Team Selection on 10:59 - Aug 14 with 1336 viewsspell_chekker

At home to Swansea

Grimshaw
Bower, Carey, Dougall, Fiorini, Corbeanu
Yates

Subs: Maxwell, Husband, Gabriel, Lavery, Hamilton, Patino, Thorniley

Substitutions: 4 made
Lavery for Corbeanu at half time
Patino for Carey after 79 mins
Gabriel for Connolly after 79
Hamilton for Bowley after 88

Surprises:
- Patino not starting
- Unlike Gabriel, Husband not getting more minutes under his belt

Others:
- The ever contentious question of the defensive midfielder under Appleton: Not 1 particular deignated holding midfielder with both Dougall and Fiorini sharing defensive duties and getting forward (illustrated by Dougall winning the pen). The amount of defending done by Fiorini could well have been skewed due to the sheer amount of Swansea possession (64% for the away team)
- Appleton again hooking a player at half time.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2022 11:22]

Team Selection on 20:29 - Aug 15 with 1314 viewsspell_chekker

Long rant deleted.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2022 5:26]

Team Selection on 20:42 - Aug 15 with 1301 viewsspell_chekker

More Jackanory musings to come after the QPR game.

Team Selection on 10:43 - Aug 17 with 1274 viewsspell_chekker

1 -0 away win at QPR.

Team:
Grimshaw
Patino, Dougall, Thompson
Bowler, Yates, Lavery

Subs:
Maxwell, Husband, Gabriel, Carey, Hamilton, Corbeanu, Thorniley

Substitutions:
Carey for Patino at halftime
Gabriel for Fiorini after 64
Corbeanu for Bowler after 97 mins
Thorniley for Lavery after 90 + 5

Others:
Patino made his first start
2 enforced substitutions due to the injuries of Patino and Fiorini
Gabriel replaced Fiorini meaning that Connolly squeezed into midfield and we went with 2 holding (Connolly and Dougall)

Conclusion:
Signs that the players are starting to get used to Appleton's system
All the players showed lots of heart and committment
Hope that both Patino and Fiorini aren't out for a long time
Patino could work wondfers for us this season
Gabriel must now be back to full fitness and be available to start on Saturday
A great performance and for me, it's put to bed any fears that we might go down
The defence is solid
We pressed a lot more than usual - perhaps on purpose as we started with Lavery and Yates
[Post edited 17 Aug 2022 11:03]

Team Selection on 12:07 - Aug 17 with 1259 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Too early to judge either way. October's fixtures will sort it out

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Team Selection on 09:19 - Aug 19 with 1240 viewsspell_chekker

Selection questions before the Burnley game:

Are Husband and Gabriel in contention to play the full 90 minutes and if so will Appleton start them?

Patino and Fiorini have been added to Anferson as injurd attacking midfielders so what are Appleton's choices?

- If he starts Gabriel at full back he can shuffle Connolly into midfield and play 2 defensive misfielders like we finished the QPR game.

- Or he can stick with 1 holding and start Virtue alongside Carey.

- In his post match QPR interview Appleton revealed that he considered using his subs to go 3 / 5 at the back to see the game out. He discounted the idea at the time as it would've limited our counter-attacking capabilities.

Team Selection on 11:17 - Aug 19 with 1232 viewsspell_chekker

Reading the last paragraph it seems like there'll be a change in formation. Either 2 holding or 3 / 5 at the back. Also, it's a something we'll probably have to adopt until we get either Anderson or Patino back:

“We haven’t got massive numbers in midfield. We are going to think a little bit differently and do it a little bit differently. That’s just being realistic,” Appleton admitted. “There’s a look in the eyes of the players at the minute, which is good. The players are buoyant after the result on Tuesday and looking forward to Saturday.”

https://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk/news/2022/august/19/appleton--mixed-news-on-fiorin

Team Selection on 21:31 - Aug 21 with 1214 viewsspell_chekker

3 - 3 Burnley away.

The "trying something different" referred to by Appleton outflanked everyone. Opposition manager included I'd assume.

No Carey, no Virtue and with Bowler played down the middle behind Yates.

With what was available the team was set up as 4 at the back, 2 holding and the 4 others deploying as and when they saw fit. It could have been interpreted as a 4-2-3-1 or, whenever Lavery tucked in and we went narrower, a 4-4-2 / 4-2-2-2 (as last season) . Either way, Bowler was largely central in the first half and then tweaked to go wider in the second. Nice.

TEAM:

Grimshaw
Gabriel, Ekpiteta, Williams, Thompson
Connolly, Dougall
Corbeanu, Bowler, Lavery
Yates

SUBS:
Maxwell, Husband, Madine, Carey, Virtue, Hamilton, Thorniley

Substitution:
Madine on for Corbeanu after 64 mins
Carey for Gabriel after 75 (an attacking change to win the game with Connolly going to RB and 1 holding)
Husband for Thompson after 75
Hamilton for Lavery after 75
Virtue for Yates after 89

Positives:
- Following the QPR performance the big thing to take from this match is the heart shown by the players. Leave aside all formation, tactics and personnel. No way will we go down if our squad is so committed to the cause.
- Gabriel is now match fit. Husband is also ready but Thompson currently has the shirt.
- Confidence booster for the scorers Yates, Lavery and Corbeanu.
- the Carey for Gabriel substitution after 75 when we were in the ascendancy. It didn't work this time but we were trying top win the match and not close it out.

Negatives:
- Who was to know, not us nor Appleton but the Burnley defence was feverish in possession and we cvould have got at the earlier.
- Cards. Red for Carey and 3 yellows being picked up like confetti by Thompson, Dougall and Copnnolly. We need this kind of steel to our game but we're picking up lots of yellows. I've done this for for a few seasons and the first hurdle is to get less than 10 yellows before the end of December / start of January (I can't quite remember and anyway the unethical WC in Qatar interferes with anything "normal")

Team Selection on 06:42 - Aug 22 with 1209 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

4-4-2, It's the future

Team Selection on 04:35 - Aug 28 with 1193 viewsspell_chekker

3 - 3 Bristol City at home.

Grimshaw
Connolly, Dougall
Bowler, Lavery
Yates, Madine

Subs: Maxwell, Husband, Virtue, Hamilton, Corbeanu, Lubala, Thorniley

With all the injuries the starting 11 was easy to call. The same that had a good second hamf against Burnley.

They lined up 4-2-3-1. Yates was so close to Madine that you could call it a 4-4-2.

Lavery and Bowler were very narrow. This puts a lot of pressure on the full backs who have to be strong especially against teams like Bristol City who use wing backs.

A word about Lavery. I've never been a big fan of his but I've seen a big difference in the games he's started this season (since QPR away). Without him we've had much more of a passive defensive block - something that may work well in the future but we're not that good at playing yet. With him we're more about pressing and being in the face of the opposition. We need Lavery at the moment until everyone's fit, settled, and then we can better adapt to Appleton's new way - more composed.

Substitutions (only 3):

Thorniley for Williams at half time
Corbeanu for Madine after 79 mins
Hamilton for Lavery after 87 mins

- I've not read up on the match but wouldn't be surprised if Williams picked up a knock.
- I suspected Corbeanu was being groomed for a central strikers role when we signed him.
- Williams hooked at half time but the other subs came on late.
- Sub scored again therefore plaudits to both the player and manager.

Team Selection on 16:24 - Aug 29 with 1177 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

4-4-2

Team Selection on 18:35 - Aug 29 with 1169 viewsspell_chekker

I don't mind the 4-4-2 when needs must but not as a be all and end all strategy for all eternity.

Especially our passive, defensive version.

It's one thing I didn't like about Critchley's reign. He was right to go to this 4-4-2 mish mash at the time, to steady the ship, it worked a treat. My problem was that he stuck with it and never went back to a more progressive style.

There's a time and a place, it has its uses.

Team Selection on 04:37 - Sep 1 with 1153 viewsspell_chekker

1 - 0 loss at home to Blackburn.

TEAM

The same stop gap 4-4-2 with 2 defensive mids that saw us get creditable draws against Burnley and Bristol City.

Grimshaw
Connolly, Dougall
Bowler, Lavery
Yates, Madine

SUBSTITUTES

Maxwell, Husband, Virtue, Hamilton, Corbeanu,
Poveda, Thorniley

SUBSTITUTIONS

Only 2 substitutions made show the lack of options open to Appleton.

New boy Poveda got a 10 minute introduction.

Corbeanu for Lavery after 66 mins
Poveda for Madine after 80 mins

THOUGHTS

- Appleton didn't have much choice with his starting line up. Corbeanu instead of Lavery being the only chance that would have made a realistic difference to our approach to the game.
- Squad rotation or keep a winning team? Appleton's hand was forced by injuries and suspensions but the lackluster showing demonstrated the virtues of shaking things up and keeping everything fresh and energetic. The players were tired and it showed as we just weren't at the races for the entire match.
- We've got to dig in and do our best to pick some points up from the next 2 or 3 games until new signings are bedded in and injuries are back.

Team Selection on 06:20 - Sep 1 with 1146 viewsspell_chekker

My current take is this:

We only picked up 5 points from a possible 18 in Aygust - relegation form.

We've got 4 matches in September the last one being played on 17th. We've got to get through these matches the best we can. Then there's an international break for the Nations' League matches.

After the break, I'd expect a lot of injuries / suspensions back and any new signings to be relatively bedded in before our next game back on 1st October.

That's when we can start to get used to Appleton's 4-3-3 and begin to look forward.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2022 6:22]

Team Selection on 03:53 - Sep 3 with 1117 viewsspell_chekker

There's still not much wiggle room for Appleton and he'll probably start with the same 4-4-2 formation against Huddersfield.

Patino may be back next week againsy Middlesborough when things could change.

Predicted line up against Huddersfield:

Grimshaw
Connolly, Dougall
Poveda, Lavery
Yates, Madine

ALTERNATIVE LINE UP:

Under the circumstances it might not be a good idea to field a surprise line up but there are 1 or 2 options open to Appleton if he does want to experiment.

It's probably too soon for Wright to start and Corbeanu isn't a favoured starter but it would be possible do ditch 1 of the 2 holding midfielders. If Hamilton doesn't get a game now he probably never will - we'll have the manager's thonking confirmed on this.

Grimshaw
Dougall
Corbeanu, Poveda, Wright, Hamilton
Yates
[Post edited 3 Sep 2022 3:56]

Team Selection on 20:04 - Sep 5 with 1085 viewsspell_chekker

Huddersfield away, 1 - 0 win.

I'm surprised that Appleton went 3 / 5 at the back. It was a good choice, getting the most out of what he had under the circumstances but I didn't think he'd be brave enough to make that call. Did we really need to experiment with an untried line up at this juncture when bringing at least a point home was important to stop what would've been a rot? Very brave and astute.

Another point that may have influenced the selection is that Bowler isn't considered to have a place in a 3 at the back line up.

Also, taking into account Madine's retrospective 3 match ban, 2 up top wasn't as attractive an option.

Others - A first start for Poveda but the match was considered to early to consider blooding Wright.

As well as the change in formation, Lavery was moved to the bench and Thorniley started in an attempt to freshen things up as much as possible

TEAM: 3-4-3

Grishaw
Williams, Ekpiteta, Thorniley
Gabriel, Connolly, Dougall, Thompson
Poveda, Yates, Corbeanu

SUBSTITUES:

I thought the bench looked weak. Obviously injured and suspensions. Youth teamer Jack Moore was included as was Luke Garbutt despite, I suspect, not yet being fully fit.

Maxwell, Husband, Lavery, Hamilton, Wright, Garbutt, Moore.

SUBSTITUTIONS: Only 3 were made and came relatively latish on in the game.

Worrying for Williams ls that he was subbed again. Will he keep his place in the team? I'd say so if nothing more than for his height.

Husband for Williams 67 minutes
Lavery for Poveda 76 minutes
Hamilton for Corbeanu 76 minutes

Team Selection on 20:41 - Sep 15 with 1068 viewsspell_chekker

Rotherham away, 3 - 0 loss.

Formation: 3-4-3. sticking with the same players and set up that got a result at Huddersfield. There were doubts about going 3 at-the-back against Rotherham but Appleton's obviously set his stall out for players / winning teams to keep the shirt - and good on him for it. It's an understandable policy, clear to the players and it could reap benefits long term. The manager must remain consistent in this approach.

Grimshaw
Ekpiteta, Williams, Thorniley
Gabriel, Connolly, Dougall, Thompson
Poveda, Yates, Lavery

Substitutes: Maxwell, Husband, Carey, Lavery, Hamilton, Wright, Patino

Unexpected tweaks:
- Ekpiteta was switched with Williams and played on the right of the back 3 with Williams in the centre.
- The back 3, especially when out of possession played wide, wide, wide. Ekpiteta and Thorniley hugging the touchlines.

Criticism:
- Things were starting to fall into place at QPR when the carpet was whipped from under our feet. The mission was the to get points on the board by hook or by crook using the resources available.

This originally meant going back to Critchleys 4-4-2 which turned sour and had to be changed. Entrer the stop gap 3 at-the-back which fortunately came away with the points at Huddersfield.

The whole point of this is to say that when you want to put in a battling, spoiling, dogs breakfast performance to come away with a point from Rotherham, you want to keep the scoreboard ticking over in a time of adversity, why oh why would you try and be a clever clogs by flipping Ekpiteta and Williams and spreading your back 3 wide across the park? It's a stop gap formation hopefully never to be used again. Keep it tight, hit them with a heavy tackle with 30 secs of the kick off and tighten up. Don't try and be a clever so-and-so, there's a time and a place.

Also the rule of thumb for a back 3 is that the rock plays in the middle and the ball players are on his left and right. The text book reads Williams, Ekpiteta, Thorniley.

Substitutions:
Lavery for Poveda after 56
Patino for Connolly after 66
Wright for Williams after 84
Carey for Dougall after 84

Comments:
The Lavery / Poveda switch. The plan of sticking with a winning starting eleven is admirable but under the circumstances when you'd be more than happy to grind out a point at Rotherham would you start with Poveda who'd reportedly been carrying a knock. Wouldn't you start with a terrier like Lavery who'd be more likely to destroy and disrupt? Then with Lavery tiring bring Poveda and his superior ball skills and dribbling on for the last half hour.

Patino for Connolly. Patino sat really deep in a defensive posiiton when he came on. Appleton wants a ball player in there. When played there alone Fiorini got overrun in that position and that leads me to believe that against Millwall, Appleton'll stick to 2 defensive mids with Patino being one of them - protected by Dougall. Obviously we'll revert to 4 at the back against Millwall.

Wright for Williams: Minutes on the pitch for the new signing and an all to late switch in formation. The substitution could've been made before the game was lost.

Carey for Dougall: Not a lot to say about this substitution. Minutes for a returning Carey. who was advanced along with Wright.

Have you had enough?

If you've got this far I could wrote more but I'll just type out one or two other scribbled bullet points I made during the game.

Thorniley beaten to header for 1st goal - again.
Patino start on Sat.
Free kick goal - Barlaser assist AGAIN
Chucked in towel
Husband better than Thompson????
Lucky 3rd goal - onside?
Patino too deep, wasted.
Never looked like scoring.
Too easily beaten.

Isn't it great to be a MANAGER!! .
[Post edited 15 Sep 2022 20:45]

Team Selection on 20:52 - Sep 15 with 1060 viewsspell_chekker

Having made those observations, I though that apart from Thorniley being out muscled for their goal we were solid, dour and boring certainly, but solid during the first half and could have gone in 0 -0- or even better in a smash and grab scenario.

We also started the second half brightly before it all went pear shaped.

It was all starting to click in the first half against QPR. We need 3 or so games after the international break and it could all go very well again - That's my current position - Get the full squad back fit and familiar with the new system.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024