Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
new blog from basilrobbiereborn 11:54 - Feb 19 with 4793 viewsAVFTT

Following on from Curryman's excellent effort last week, Robbie has had a look at Lee Clark's tenure to date.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/blackpool/blogs/89/lee-clark--the-half-ter

new blog from basilrobbiereborn on 12:15 - Feb 19 with 4774 viewsPNENIL

A good read as always and fair and balanced.
Nothing mentioned about the pitch though which to me has become a big issue.

new blog from basilrobbiereborn on 12:18 - Feb 19 with 4772 viewstde74

Clark has been unfortunate (or possibly naive/desperate.... dunno) in that he's come into a no-win situation following Riga's no-lose one.

I'm not in a position to judge either of them to be fair as a) I'm struggling to be objective and see past the off-field problems and b) I gave up my season ticket this season and so haven't seen enough of the actual football to form a considered opinion.

Plenty of food for thought there though robbie - good write-up.

new blog from basilrobbiereborn on 13:35 - Feb 19 with 4737 viewsOdinsRaven

One thing Robbie does do is a good football write up.

My only point to disagree would be to compare Clark's point ratio to Riga's. Riga had to start from scratch with no pre season and quite possibly the worse stubborness ever seen by koko while Clark at least had a full suad and some to start to mould

The fact is we will never know what Riga was truly like as we are aware he only ever got 2 of his eight spine players in (Orlandi and Cubero). He managed 7 from 9 in his new job at a club where he is backed...

One thing I will say Riga was NEVER the right man for Blackpool as we all know KOKO's form and he took it to a new level this year which compounded all the usual annual issues. I wonder what Riga could have done with a club say like Blackburn...

new blog from basilrobbiereborn on 13:37 - Feb 19 with 4734 viewsOdinsRaven

I wonder what Riga could have done at a cash rich club with a chairman willing to back him with a decent level of Championship spend...

Shame we are skint

File once more under 'How not to run a football club'

new blog from basilrobbiereborn on 14:54 - Feb 19 with 4599 viewssteve_g

Good effort Basbob - you'll never convert the Oyston haters or Riga lovers but I just think it was the wrong manager at the wrong time and whilst neither will probably be that bothered, it's the fans who will suffer.

Poll: Has the O's treatment of fans re: court proceedings changed your opinion of them

new blog from basilrobbiereborn on 15:09 - Feb 19 with 4559 viewsOdinsRaven

why would he want to convert the Oyston haters? We are right. It's you who are wrong...

new blog from basilrobbiereborn on 16:02 - Feb 19 with 4434 viewsArchibaldKnox

Which block is your seat in, BRR?
It would be interesting to know which section of the 'crowd' is shouting 'Collaborator' at Clark.

new blog from basilrobbiereborn on 16:07 - Feb 19 with 4422 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Archie

if you're going to quote me, it would be be better to quote a word I actually used - I didn't refer to our "crowd" at all.

I was talking about our support generally, and the internet element of it in particular. If you want to find Clark being referred to as a "collaborator", you won't have to go far on the main fora to find examples.

I hope that clears that up.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

new blog from basilrobbiereborn on 17:14 - Feb 19 with 4318 viewsOldSkool

Clark had a full squad to choose from and nearly all players had games under their belts and were fit to play.
Contrast that with Riga, who wasn't allowed a pre-season, so was left with an unfit & under strengthed squad of players for the first few games of the season.

new blog from basilrobbiereborn on 17:25 - Feb 19 with 4298 viewsseasider13

Good assessment of where we are today robbie, the riga revolution was the dampest squib ever, and whilst many blame the lack of funding / communications from the powers that be, riga never had much to say about shady shennagins alleged publicly did he.

Anyways, the blame game won't get us out of the mess we are currently in, i think the drops inevitable and Clark has had success at that level, so maybe we will bounce back stronger than before.

It would be nice to have a season where we are not getting defeated as much, a promotion push from a lower league might be a tonic for the troops, lets face it, the last few seasons have been dire.

No man is rich enough to buy back his past.

new blog from basilrobbiereborn on 17:31 - Feb 19 with 4285 viewsArchibaldKnox

You said " He needs to work, he wants to enhance his reputation, and the sooner the puerile cries of "collaborator" stop, the better off we will all be. "

Last time I saw Lee Clark working was on Saturday at pitch side. Your use of the evocative phrase 'puerile cries' led me to take you completely literally, i.e. they were cries you heard. If you were referring to internet forums I would have expected you to use the phrase "puerile comments" or "puerile posts" or even "puerile threads". You had better be more clear in your writing.

And which block is your seat in, then? If you were there on Saturday, as I assume you were, you might have heard several cries of "Collaborator" and much booing emanating from K and L blocks in the West stand, I know I did. That happened when it appeared Clark was going to take off Madine for his last sub and the 4th official put up number 24 on his board in red. In response to the booing, or when he realised that a mistake had been made, Clark grabbed the 4th official to make him change it to 29 to take McMahon off. I suppose a 29 can look very much like a 24 in Geordie handwriting. But the fact is that cries of "Collaborator" were definitely heard from those in the West stand.

new blog from basilrobbiereborn on 17:36 - Feb 19 with 4268 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

I was using poetic license Archie. All the greats do it.

I can't hear blocks K and L from where I sit. But your anecdote suggests it does happen in real-life as well as cyberspace, and it can be somewhat premature. I think it's puerile to describe him in such a way, which is why I said as much.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

new blog from basilrobbiereborn on 19:33 - Feb 19 with 4079 viewsTang67

Well written article with some merit-think we could have had a better root cause analysis of why Riga appointment went so bad.My opinion is that it went sour very early which i attribute to the actions of our chairman.Since he went i would argue things have got worse in terms of the mess we find ourselves in.
Do not blame LC and he is not a collaborator(that label could more easily applied to Ollie-imo the best manger we had in 50 years) he is a fella doing a job.
Robbie i think we are down-there just seems to much to do without being properly resourced.
In all clubs there is this connection between the support and the club and even though that was always contentious with the Oystons it has sunk to a new level this season.That connection is broken and the latest banning s,legal actions and all out hostility will be what forms the memories of this season.
I will be joining many others in not renewing my ST this spring. BFC has been an important part of my sons and my life for many years.It gave is common interest and was one of the things i liked the most about my hometown.
The behavior since our days in the sun has left a bitter taste in the mouth and i just cannot forgive and forget what they have done-no doubt will keep an eye on how the tangerines are doing but this ain't my club

Poster formerly known as bisphamtang

new blog from basilrobbiereborn on 23:47 - Feb 19 with 3863 viewsCurryman

Good piece, but I would beg to differ on one comment.

‘That said, he does need to be backed, and it is to be hoped that one day the chairman will find it in himself to acknowledge his past mistakes and learn from them.’

Robbie, I honestly think he is incapable of acknowledging any mistakes he makes, as the following shows:
Blackpool Gazette 28/03/2014.
Karl Oyston hopes a change in player recruitment policy will help avoid what he called another ‘season of turmoil’;
This summer is big for us as we have some big decisions to make.
“This goes without saying, but recruitment has been our failing and needs to improve;
“We probably need to go for a different profile of players;
“We should be aiming for ones who are young and hungry, or at least hungry whatever their age;
“You have to have people who want to play, want to perform and want to improve;
“We have to get the balance between the steel and the creative flair we have probably lacked.”

Pfff, what a load of hot air KO continually belches. As you get older and wiser you realize that when people are given anything without having to earn it (unless they are physically or mentally utterly incapable of earning anything), they become ungrateful and lazy and this appears to be KO’s Achilles heel IMHO.

See you next Tuesday.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2015 23:49]

Love Blackpool, not the O's
Poll: Whi is responsiblke for our current mess?
Blog: Trust

new blog from basilrobbiereborn on 13:45 - Feb 20 with 3660 viewsArchibaldKnox

As for Jose Riga, I am sure his working life at Standard Liege is both more exciting (see link) and more stable and predictable than it ever was under Koko...

Those Standard Liege fans are something else... Passionate or degenerate? You decide.
It makes the odd puerile cry of "Collaborator" sound like a smothered burp at the vicar's tea party.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2925685/Steven-Defour-sent-Sta
[Post edited 20 Feb 2015 13:47]

new blog from basilrobbiereborn on 02:43 - Feb 21 with 3508 viewsseasider13

This blog has over a ton on the other site robbie, raise your bat to the pavilion

No man is rich enough to buy back his past.

new blog from basilrobbiereborn on 10:53 - Feb 21 with 3465 viewsolneyseasider

AK. Post your link on the other site and you'll get a ton easily.

If BFC fans showed half the passion the Os would have been gone long before now.

new blog from basilrobbiereborn on 15:33 - Feb 21 with 3410 viewsterminallytangerine

There's not olney one way to show passion methinks.

new blog from basilrobbiereborn on 17:00 - Feb 21 with 3389 viewsjanegallagher

Olney one point but better than nothing. Well done Pool

We’ve got Simon Sadler

new blog from basilrobbiereborn on 17:25 - Feb 21 with 3368 viewsolneyseasider

Very droll.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024