Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
SLO 17:52 - Apr 25 with 627 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

The Interim Board invite applications from those Blackpool fans who would be interested in being appointed to the role of Supporters’ Liaison Officer.

This volunteer position would suit someone with a high level of commitment to BFC who attends all/practically all home games and a reasonable number of away games, can demonstrate good communication skills, knowledge of and contacts with the fanbase of the football club and a proven ability to deal with the media and work as part of a team.

The nature of the role is such that the successful candidate will need to demonstrate an ability to make themselves available during the day, as well as evenings and weekends to meet varying demands the position entails.

The Interim Board envisage that the newly appointed SLO will look to appoint assistants to help them in the delivery of the role. At the recent Fans’ Forum it was suggested that a point of contact for each stand with close affiliations to those groups who populate each stand and an away game representative, all of whom would then report to the SLO, would be beneficial. It’s intended that the SLO will consider how best to implement the appointment of and management of their assistants to best serve the interests of BFC and its fans

The appointee will act as an advocate for both BFC and its supporters, pro-actively deal with a variety of supporter-related issues, assist the existing supporters’ groups with the staging of events, liaise and network with the SLO’s of other clubs, attend regional and national meetings and regularly meet with club officials, including the Board of Directors.

A more detailed role description can be found here.

All applications are to be submitted to Tim Fielding by email only on timfielding82@icloud.com by no later than 5pm on 30 April, 2019.

https://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk/news/2019/april/vacancy-supporters-liaison-officer

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

SLO on 17:56 - Apr 25 with 623 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Setting the bar high there.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

SLO on 18:01 - Apr 25 with 617 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Here's the more detailed pdf

https://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk/siteassets/image/documents/slo-role-specification.

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

SLO on 18:03 - Apr 25 with 615 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Very heavy commitment for a volunteer position IMHO.

SLO on 18:08 - Apr 25 with 613 viewsspell_chekker

I'm unfamiliar with the role a a SLO.

I thought it was a position filled by a professional in the wider football world and not from the BFC fan community.

As a crude example: if the club needs a centre forward, you're not going to invite applications from the fanbase.

Let's see how it goes but in my own innocent way I was expecting an industry professional who would then form a team with a handful of well meaning and able fans under his tutelage.

Hummm, a surprise to me.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

SLO on 18:12 - Apr 25 with 609 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Psst Spell

Better edit that to his/her or even their. Don't worry I wont tell a soul.

SLO on 18:12 - Apr 25 with 607 viewsLala

Must admit I’m not familiar with the role and ye a big big commitment.

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

SLO on 18:36 - Apr 25 with 598 viewsspell_chekker

I thought about that as I was typing Red.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.

SLO on 18:41 - Apr 25 with 594 viewsspell_chekker

I thought they'd be paying a wage for it as well.

SLO on 07:46 - Apr 26 with 569 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Spell

As well as the clubs pdf, found this on the Football Supporters Federation website

http://www.fsf.org.uk/slo/slo-faqs/

SLO on 08:23 - Apr 26 with 565 viewsspell_chekker

I'm off to work so only had a quick scan.

First impressions:

- The article in the link covers all bases as to exactly what a SLO is. Fan, professional, volunteer, salaried, dual role combined with another job.

- The club's remit seems wider than the FSF's.

It's going to be a regular scenario for the interim and new owners in that it's the first time an initiative is being put in place and therefore complicated to pitch correctly.

There's bound to be the occasional oversight and the odd error but hey, that's what makes it fun for us.

SLO on 08:26 - Apr 26 with 564 viewsHannibal

They can’t expect someone to do all that for free.

Poll: Which Tory is your choice for leader?

SLO on 08:35 - Apr 26 with 559 viewsTwelveAngryMen

I appreciate some clubs employ someone to the the job - mainly I’d suggest those with a larger fanbase

In many other clubs it’s a volunteers role

Its no more onerous than say a senior BST position

#footballfirst

SLO on 08:36 - Apr 26 with 559 viewsspell_chekker

Hannibal is right IMO.

Anyone willing to do it voluntarily is bound to be a bit obsessive / nutty about the club.

SLO on 10:11 - Apr 26 with 548 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

I understand why Hannibal might be surprised. It's a big job, as both of us implied. But there are people out there who do it for other clubs.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

SLO on 16:38 - Apr 26 with 521 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Not quite sure that the comparison between BST and SLO totally fits.

When BST started, what 5 years ago, in a way they had a blank piece of paper so to speak, and could grow into the roles (and define some of those roles, and gain the skills required), as BST grew.

The SLO role is defined from the start, whoever gets it is being dropped in it from a great height from Day 1.

If you asked the BST if without the advantage of hindsight, would you apply for the role you are doing now(or if you even thought you could do it) if it was advertised, how many would?

Here's the bullet points for the standard required skills

PROFESSIONAL SKILLS

- Experience of positive people management
- Experience and contact with key supporter networks at local and national levels
- Vocational or technical qualification or academic degree
- Basic educational, psychological and sociological skills in dealing with people, especially with regard to group dynamics
- Sound understanding of new media/technologies (desktop business applications, internet, etc.)
- Political neutrality
- Commitment to key values such as anti-discrimination and the rejection of violence

PERSONAL SKILLS

- Good communication and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Willingness to learn
- High degree of commitment, motivation, reliability and flexibility
- Ability to communicate, in particular in groups and in public
- Service-oriented thinking and behaviour
- Assured negotiating skills and assertiveness
- Appropriate life experience and experience of dealing with fans; knowledge of and contacts within the club’s fan base
- Flexibility (time-wise), especially at weekends, and personal resilience
- Professional manner according to the situation
- Calming, de-escalating, de-emotionalising professional conduct in stress and conflict
situations

You then add in the Duties required on Match days, Between Match Days etc..... That should rule out or scare off about 99.9% of the fan base.

I would also add that whoever gets the post, needs not only support from the Club, the FA , Football League, BST, BSA etc..... but the fan base in general.

I wouldn't like to see non stop social media posts slagging off the SLO (and their match day helpers) for every little thing that might not be to someones liking.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2019 16:40]

SLO on 16:45 - Apr 26 with 516 viewsjanegallagher

I wouldn't like to see non stop social media posts slagging off the SLO (and their match day helpers) for every little thing that might not be to someones liking.

And we know that’s going to happen.

We’ve got Simon Sadler

SLO on 16:54 - Apr 26 with 513 viewsTwelveAngryMen

It is envisaged that the SLO will be supported by assistants on match day in line with the discussions at the forum

It is a challenging role but hopefully one that someone suitable will be up for

#footballfirst

SLO on 17:45 - Apr 26 with 494 viewsLala

A great considered post there Red 👍

SLO on 19:09 - Apr 26 with 477 viewsjanegallagher

What about you spud, do you fancy. 😃

We’ve got Simon Sadler

SLO on 07:00 - Apr 27 with 461 viewsspell_chekker

When I was younger I did full time voluntary work but had the specific objective of getting my foot on the first rung of the professional ladder in a very competitive employment domain. Using it to get a decent job.

There are lots of volunteers who do great work and I'm sure that the SLO position will be filled by someone like that but it does make you wonder about all these people - how do you fit it all in when you've got a job / relationship / family / hobbies / social life etc.?

The answer is - you can't fit it all in - other areas of your life have to be sacrificed. I suppose everyone's different and that makes the world a better place but I'd keep my life rather than commit to one of these volunteer roles.

IMO It's a good job they do, it's very much appreciated while at the same time a little weird to volunteer to this kind of extent.

SLO on 08:01 - Apr 27 with 454 viewsLala

There are people who would be prime minister for free, question is would we want them

SLO on 08:36 - Apr 27 with 446 viewskophero

Great effort that BBTRR. I can picture Robbie working on his application as we type.

(Only kidding Robbie)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024