Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It's Critchley 11:06 - Mar 2 with 442 viewsspell_chekker

Here's the announcement on the official BFC site. I'm going to take a while reading up on this appointment. With him coming from Liverpool means that there have already been a lot of column inches written:

Neil Critchley Appointed New Head Coach

Liverpool Under-23s Coach To Take Charge of the Seasiders

Blackpool Football Club is delighted to announce that Neil Critchley has agreed to become Head Coach on a contract that runs until the end of the 2022/23 season.

One of only 16 coaches in the country to have gained the highest possible qualification in the game, the 41-year-old joins the Club from reigning UEFA Champions League holders Liverpool, where he has held the position of Under-23s coach.

Having served in that role since 2017, on the back of four years as Under-18s coach, Critchley has helped develop some of Liverpool’s brightest young talents and internationals.

This season, he has also taken charge of the Reds in a Carabao Cup quarter-final and Emirates FA Cup tie, guiding a young side to the fifth round stage of the latter.

Born in Crewe, Critchley was Academy Director at his hometown club for six years between 2007 and 2013.

Owner Simon Sadler said:

“I would like to welcome Neil as he joins us on our journey and thank Liverpool for the way they have handled our approach. The fact that we’ve been able to attract a coach of Neil’s calibre is testament to how this Club is now viewed and is a result of the work that has been done here over recent months.

“Neil is a highly-regarded coach who impressed us with his thorough preparation and analysis of the team. We want this Club to represent the town and community by playing entertaining football, working hard and being organised. We firmly believe that Neil can deliver this and lay down the blueprint for our footballing philosophy.

“Finally, I would like to thank Brett, Linton and, particularly, Ben for their hard work during this process and a special thanks to David Dunn and Tommy Johnson for stepping up on an interim basis to take charge of the team.”

Chief Executive Ben Mansford said:

“I am delighted to welcome Neil to Blackpool FC. Neil is one of the most talented coaches in the country and comes with a wealth of experience. From starting his coaching journey, to taking the Liverpool team this season, Neil has committed his professional life to becoming the best.

“When you combine his time spent at Crewe, which ultimately saw him become Academy Director and where the target was to develop individuals, with his seven years at Liverpool, the last three of which were spent with their highly regarded Under-23s, where the team was supreme, I feel we have a stand out person to lead Blackpool forwards with our own aims of returning to the Championship and beyond.

“On top of his coaching credentials, Neil is also a great person who is regarded as being a man of real integrity. I can’t wait for Neil to get started and I am looking forward to working with him closely.”

Head Coach Neil Critchley added:

“I am absolutely delighted to join Blackpool. The trust and faith that has been shown in me from Simon and Ben gives me a very special feeling inside. I can’t wait to get started, I’m really looking forward to the weeks and months ahead, meeting the players, working on the grass, developing the team and meeting some of the supporters.

“The time I’ve had at Liverpool has been truly special. I’ve been incredibly well supported there from Alex Inglethorpe, the Academy Manager, and all the staff. It’s a truly special football club and it’s the people that make the football club the place that it is. It would have had to have taken something equally as special, if not more, for me to even think about leaving.

“But from the conversations I’ve had here, I got a really good feeling about the people, where they want the Club to go and how they want it to grow.”

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

It's Critchley on 12:01 - Mar 2 with 299 viewsspell_chekker

First of all welcome Neil.

An appointment made with a view to developing the entire playing side and football philosophy of the club.

It could work out very well.

Happy with that.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.

It's Critchley on 12:03 - Mar 2 with 298 viewsspell_chekker

It's Critchley on 14:14 - Mar 2 with 283 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Blackpool's new head coach Neil Critchley admits it had to be a 'special' job for him to leave Liverpool

Blackpool's new head coach Neil Critchley has admitted it had to be a "special" job for him to even consider leaving his role at Liverpool.

The 41-year-old has become Blackpool's new head coach, replacing Simon Grayson who was sacked last month after just seven months in charge.

He leaves his role as Under-23 coach at Liverpool, a job he has held since the summer of 2017, having previously been in charge of the Under-18s since 2013.

Critchley has now signed a contract with the Seasiders until the end of the 2022/23 season.

Upon being announced as the club's new chief, Critchley said: “I am absolutely delighted to join Blackpool.

"The trust and faith that has been shown in me from Simon and Ben gives me a very special feeling inside.

"I can’t wait to get started, I’m really looking forward to the weeks and months ahead, meeting the players, working on the grass, developing the team and meeting some of the supporters.

“The time I’ve had at Liverpool has been truly special. I’ve been incredibly well supported there from Alex Inglethorpe, the academy manager, and all the staff.

"It’s a truly special football club and it’s the people that make the football club the place that it is.

"It would have had to have taken something equally as special, if not more, for me to even think about leaving.

“But from the conversations I’ve had here, I got a really good feeling about the people, where they want the club to go and how they want it to grow.”

Critchley will be unveiled to the media this afternoon alongside chief executive Ben Mansford.

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/blackpools-new-he

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

It's Critchley on 14:18 - Mar 2 with 281 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Simon Sadler and Ben Mansford have their say on the appointment of Liverpool's Neil Critchley as Blackpool's new head coach

Owner Simon Sadler says the fact Blackpool have been able to attract someone of the "calibre" of Neil Critchley is testament to how the club is now viewed.

The 41-year-old has this morning been announced as Blackpool's new head coach, replacing Simon Grayson who was sacked last month.

He leaves his role as Liverpool's Under-23 coach to sign a contract with the Seasiders until the end of the 2022/23 season.

Sadler said: “I would like to welcome Neil as he joins us on our journey and thank Liverpool for the way they have handled our approach.

"The fact that we’ve been able to attract a coach of Neil’s calibre is testament to how this club is now viewed and is a result of the work that has been done here over recent months.

“Neil is a highly-regarded coach who impressed us with his thorough preparation and analysis of the team.

"We want this club to represent the town and community by playing entertaining football, working hard and being organised. We firmly believe that Neil can deliver this and lay down the blueprint for our footballing philosophy.

“Finally, I would like to thank Brett (Gerrity), Linton (Brown) and, particularly, Ben (Mansford) for their hard work during this process and a special thanks to David Dunn and Tommy Johnson for stepping up on an interim basis to take charge of the team.”

One of only 16 coaches in the country to have gained the highest possible qualification in the game, Critchley has held the role of Liverpool's Under-23s coach since the summer of 2017.

He had previously spent four years looking after the Under-18 team.

This season he has even taken charge of Liverpool's first-team on two occasions in the absence of Jurgen Klopp.

Born in Crewe, Critchley was Academy Director at his hometown club for six years between 2007 and 2013.

Chief Executive Ben Mansford said: “I am delighted to welcome Neil to Blackpool FC.

"Neil is one of the most talented coaches in the country and comes with a wealth of experience. From starting his coaching journey, to taking the Liverpool team this season, Neil has committed his professional life to becoming the best.

“When you combine his time spent at Crewe, which ultimately saw him become Academy Director and where the target was to develop individuals, with his seven years at Liverpool, the last three of which were spent with their highly regarded Under-23s, where the team was supreme, I feel we have a standout person to lead Blackpool forwards with our own aims of returning to the Championship and beyond.

“On top of his coaching credentials, Neil is also a great person who is regarded as being a man of real integrity. I can’t wait for Neil to get started and I am looking forward to working with him closely.”

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/simon-sadler-and-

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

It's Critchley on 14:26 - Mar 2 with 279 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has his say on Neil Critchley's appointment as Blackpool's new head coach

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has congratulated Neil Critchley on his appointment as Blackpool's new head coach.

The 41-year-old was this morning announced as Blackpool's replacement for Simon Grayson, who was sacked last month after just seven months in charge.

Critchley leaves his role as Liverpool's Under-23 coach, having worked at Anfield for the last seven years.

“Congratulations to Blackpool and to Neil, it’s a great thing,” Klopp said.

“It’s a nice challenge for him, a nice opportunity. He wanted to take it, he asked the club and we said, ‘Yes, of course.’

"It’s really nice because it shows it’s possible that you can make your way as a youth or Under-23 coach as well, that’s always what we wanted to have.

“We wanted to have the best people here in all different departments, that means in all the coaching roles as well.

"That means there are some requests — and will hopefully be more in the future — from other clubs.

"That’s exactly how it should be, we don’t want to have somebody here for like 20 years who is doing the same job. No, it’s exactly like that.

“I’m really happy for him that he got that opportunity and that he takes it. It’s a big club and hopefully everything will go well.”

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/liverpool-boss-ju

It's Critchley on 14:29 - Mar 2 with 277 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Jürgen Klopp gave his best wishes to Neil Critchley as he explained why the Liverpool U23s manager's departure to take charge of Blackpool is an example of how the club wants to operate.

It was confirmed on Monday morning that Critchley, who took charge of two first-team fixtures this season, has been appointed the new boss of the League One side.

Klopp was asked about the news at his pre-Chelsea press conference shortly after the announcement and revealed his delight for Critchley’s next step.

“Congratulations to Blackpool and to Neil, it’s a great thing,” said Klopp.

“It’s a nice challenge for him, a nice opportunity. He wanted to take it, he asked the club and we said, ‘Yes, of course.’ It’s really nice because it shows it’s possible that you can make your way as a youth or U23 coach as well, that’s always what we wanted to have.

“We wanted to have the best people here in all different departments, that means in all the coaching roles as well. That means there are some requests — and will hopefully be more in the future — from other clubs. That’s exactly how it should be, we don’t want to have somebody here for like 20 years who is doing the same job. No, it’s exactly like that.

“I’m really happy for him that he got that opportunity and that he takes it. It’s a big club and hopefully everything will go well.”

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/388944-jurgen-klopp-tribute-to-neil-cri

Jürgen thinks we're a big club, so up yours to the Rochdale chairman ✌
[Post edited 2 Mar 2020 14:32]

It's Critchley on 14:48 - Mar 2 with 271 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Nothing but positives for me in this appointment, so welcome Neil Critchley 👍

It's Critchley on 14:56 - Mar 2 with 268 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Neil Critchley appointed Blackpool manager after leaving Liverpool U-23s

Critchley’s first match is derby with Joey Barton’s Fleetwood

Blackpool want Critchley to change ‘footballing philosophy

Neil Critchley has been appointed manager of Blackpool after leaving his role as head coach of Liverpool Under-23s. Critchley succeeds Simon Grayson, who was sacked by Blackpool on 12 February after a run of seven defeats in nine league games.

Blackpool are 13th in League One with little threat of relegation nor much hope of making the play-offs. The club made an approach for the Oxford manager, Karl Robinson, to succeed Grayson, who had been in charge for just over seven months, but that was turned down by their League One rivals.

Critchley, 41, was thrown into the spotlight twice at Liverpool this season, when Jürgen Klopp allowed him to take charge of a young first team in the Carabao Cup quarter-final defeat at Aston Villa and the FA Cup fourth-round replay victory against Shrewsbury at Anfield, and is expected to implement a blueprint for how Blackpool play over the coming months and years.

“The fact that we’ve been able to attract a coach of Neil’s calibre is testament to how this club is now viewed and is a result of the work that has been done here over recent months,” the Blackpool owner, Simon Sadler, said. “Neil is a highly regarded coach who impressed us with his thorough preparation and analysis of the team. We want this club to represent the town and community by playing entertaining football, working hard and being organised. We firmly believe that Neil can deliver this and lay down the blueprint for our footballing philosophy.”

Critchley said: “I am absolutely delighted to join Blackpool. I can’t wait to get started, I’m really looking forward to the weeks and months ahead, meeting the players, working on the grass, developing the team and meeting some of the supporters.

“The time I’ve had at Liverpool has been truly special. I’ve been incredibly well supported there from Alex Inglethorpe, the academy manager, and all the staff. It’s a truly special football club and it’s the people that make the football club the place that it is.

“It would have had to have taken something equally as special, if not more, for me to even think about leaving. But from the conversations I’ve had here, I got a really good feeling about the people, where they want the club to go and how they want it to grow.”

Klopp congratulated Critchley on his new job in his press conference to preview Liverpool’s FA Cup fifth-round tie at Chelsea. “It’s a nice challenge for him, a nice opportunity. He wanted to take it, he asked the club and we said, ‘Yes, of course’,” the Liverpool manager said. “I’m really happy for him that he got that opportunity and that he takes it. It’s a big club and hopefully everything will go well.”

Critchley’s first game in charge is the local derby with Joey Barton’s Fleetwood on Saturday.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/02/neil-critchley-appointed-blackp

It's Critchley on 14:58 - Mar 2 with 266 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

It's Critchley on 15:13 - Mar 2 with 264 viewsspell_chekker

It certainly doesn't feel as though he was 4th or 5th choice and Critchley's appointment makes us forget the botched recruitment process.

It looks like we've eventually come up trumps.

On the face of it I much prefer him to Jones, Wellens, and possibly even Robinson.

One thing I hope Crichley will bring to BFC is standards. Not in having 11 internationals on the pitch but he must be used to working with top professionals operating in a great infrastructure. All the coaching staff at BFC plus people like Mansford and Johnson should be held to the same standards.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2020 15:17]

It's Critchley on 16:54 - Mar 2 with 256 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Couple of things that stand out -

Official site calling him "Head Coach"

Also think this quote is revealing

“When you combine his time spent at Crewe, which ultimately saw him become Academy Director and where the target was to develop individuals, with his seven years at Liverpool, the last three of which were spent with their highly regarded Under-23s, where the team was supreme, I feel we have a standout person to lead Blackpool forwards with our own aims of returning to the Championship and beyond."

I get the feeling he's been brought in to get the best out of players like Thorniley, Howe, MacDonald, Nuttall, Hardie etc... as well as start the academy process.

It's Critchley on 18:23 - Mar 2 with 241 viewsjanegallagher

I’m delighted with this appointment. Thank you Simon Sadler. 😃 you know what we’re after.

Liverpool Echo

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-n

We’ve got Simon Sadler

It's Critchley on 18:24 - Mar 2 with 239 viewsspell_chekker

Liverpool are very disappointed about losing him.

It's Critchley on 18:55 - Mar 2 with 231 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

It's Critchley on 18:56 - Mar 2 with 229 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

It's Critchley on 18:57 - Mar 2 with 226 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

It's Critchley on 18:59 - Mar 2 with 224 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

It's Critchley on 19:00 - Mar 2 with 222 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

It's Critchley on 20:23 - Mar 2 with 215 viewsLala

Pleased with this. It’s unpredictable which to me suggests some kind of diligence has been carried out as opposed to plucking out a tried and tested has been just because they maybe a known entity.

The connection with Liverpool can’t hurt and the youth angle is a big plus.

Any appointment is risky, so the element of the unknown doesn’t put me off either.

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

It's Critchley on 20:49 - Mar 2 with 211 viewsspell_chekker

Some good interviews there.

Ringing endorsements of Critchley's appointment are coming from everywhere.

The universal approval is quite rare.

It's Critchley on 21:34 - Mar 2 with 206 viewsLala

I think as fans, at this point in time, we need to take stock of how very fortunate we are with the rescue package we’ve been thrown in the past 12 months or so. Simon Sadler, his professionalism, enthusiasm, passion and willingness to invest is far more than we could have expected. A board trying and succeeding in pushing us forward as a club with long term vision is something we haven’t witnessed before either.

Also respectable appointments like today are putting us so far away from the shambles we became it’s almost unthinkable.

Watching the Radio Lancs interview with Critchley I’m as pleased for him as I am for us. You can see the enthusiasm he is going to bring and the experience of developing players will be invaluable. We are very very lucky right now.

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

It's Critchley on 21:36 - Mar 2 with 204 viewsjanegallagher

We are indeed LaLa. Great post 👍

We’ve got Simon Sadler

It's Critchley on 21:52 - Mar 2 with 194 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Agree with that Lala.

It's Critchley on 22:01 - Mar 2 with 188 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Picture gallery from Neil Critchley's unveiling as Blackpool's new head coach after making switch from Liverpool

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/picture-gallery-n

It's Critchley on 06:33 - Mar 3 with 175 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Liverpool's Neil Critchley officially unveiled as Blackpool's new head coach

Neil Critchley has officially been unveiled as Blackpool’s new head coach.

The 41-year-old took part in a press conference this afternoon alongside chief executive Ben Mansford having signed a contract until the end of the 2022/23 season.

Critchley, who leaves his role as Liverpool’s Under-23 coach, spoke of his pride at taking what is his first senior job in management.

“It’s a really special feeling,” he told The Gazette.

“To come to a football club like this and to be given an opportunity to be head coach is really special.

“It’s something I’ve prepared and worked for for a very long time and I’m looking forward to the future.

“I’m looking forward to meeting the players and the staff and getting on the grass and getting to work straight away to develop a team we can all be proud of.”

When asked if it took him long to make a decision, Critchley added: “I knew what I wanted and I got the right feeling from the conversations I had.

“I’ve come from a very special football club which was built on good people and I wouldn’t have left unless I thought it was something special I was going to.

“The feeling I got from the people in the room was one of excitement. These are good people and I want to be part of it.

“You go on feelings, I go on instinct, and it felt right so I’m delighted to be here.”

This will be Critchley’s first role as a number one having coached Liverpool’s Under-23s since the summer of 2017.

He had previously been in charge of the Under 18s at Anfield for four years.

Critchley has even taken charge of Liverpool’s first-team on two occasions this season in the absence of Jurgen Klopp.

The first instance saw Aston Villa beat a youthful Liverpool side in the Carabao Cup in December while the first-team squad was away in Qatar for the Club World Club.

Then, last month, he oversaw a 1-0 victory against Shrewsbury Town in the FA Cup to set up a fifth-round tie with Chelsea.

Critchley has been credited with overseeing the progression of the likes of Harvey Elliott, Curtis Jones and Neco Williams, who have all tasted first-team action this season.

Critchley, who is regarded as one of the top coaches in Europe, is just one of 16 coaches in the country to have gained the highest possible qualification in the game.

This comes after he was hand-picked by the FA to take UEFA’s first elite badge course.

It is that level of quality that left the Seasiders so impressed according to chief executive Ben Mansford.

He said: “I’m absolutely delighted (to get our man), it’s a real pleasure to have him here.

“We really see ourselves as a modern, community-based football club and we wanted a modern coach with excellent credentials and a proven track record.

“Neil has articulated that very well about improving individuals but ultimately as part of a team structure and the team is paramount.

“I think that’s really important, because we want Neil to go on now and work with us to create that philosophy that will transcend the club.

“I’m looking forward to the start of our journey together.”

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/football/blackpool-fc/liverpools-neil-c

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024