Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Artists who tackle social issues in their music... 11:34 - Jan 28 with 329 viewsspudgun

This used to play a lot in `Just Ji`s` night club in the 80`s.
Hard hitting lyrics from a man who never quite conquered his demons.

Sorry, but I do like the music threads!

Blame Jane for posting `Blowing in the Wind` on the other thread- gave me the idea...

Artists who tackle social issues in their music... on 12:07 - Jan 28 with 317 viewsspell_chekker

I saw Gill Scott Heron live in Manchester. Approximately in the late 80s, I can't remember the name of the venue.

What about Billy Bragg?

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

Artists who tackle social issues in their music... on 12:24 - Jan 28 with 311 viewsspudgun

Heron is one of my favourite artists, unfortunately never saw him live.

I like Billy Bragg as a person, but struggle with his music a little.

Like this though...

Artists who tackle social issues in their music... on 12:31 - Jan 28 with 306 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

The video of this song is made up of clips from the anti war film Johnny Got His Gun.

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Artists who tackle social issues in their music... on 12:38 - Jan 28 with 300 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Very underrated band

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Artists who tackle social issues in their music... on 13:18 - Jan 28 with 294 viewsLala

Listen, you can try all you like guys, I’ll still find a place for this fella in your threads

It’s relevant though
[Post edited 28 Jan 2019 13:21]

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

Artists who tackle social issues in their music... on 18:05 - Jan 28 with 278 viewsspudgun

Had quite enough of Prince this week, thanks Lala.

A pal of mine has been banging on about how good Bruce Springsteen`s version of `Purple Rain` is, and how the guitar solo is awesome, and he badgered me to youtube it.

I said I could do better and spent about 4 hours practising playing a solo over a backing track of Prince`s version, just to impress him this morning.

So I`ve heard quite enough of him for a while !!
[Post edited 28 Jan 2019 18:06]

Artists who tackle social issues in their music... on 18:07 - Jan 28 with 274 viewsjanegallagher

I love this song

We’ve got Simon Sadler

Artists who tackle social issues in their music... on 18:29 - Jan 28 with 265 viewsROTTWEILERS

I don't need asking twice to plug this lot...

Go Out. See People. Live Your Lives.
Poll: Player of the Season vote

Artists who tackle social issues in their music... on 18:49 - Jan 28 with 261 viewsspudgun

Perfectly captures the mood of the late 60`s in the USA. Ghettos, depravation, Vietnam, the space race, riots...

Artists who tackle social issues in their music... on 18:54 - Jan 28 with 256 viewsLala

So did you perform it then Spud?

Artists who tackle social issues in their music... on 18:58 - Jan 28 with 254 viewsspell_chekker

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.

Artists who tackle social issues in their music... on 19:00 - Jan 28 with 250 viewsLala

Artists who tackle social issues in their music... on 19:04 - Jan 28 with 248 viewsspudgun

Yep, over the phone with a backing track, Lala.

Was quite pleased with myself, then, when I`d finished, he said "I could hear Purple Rain, but what was the song you were playing ?"

Practised til my fingers hurt as well. Shouldn`t have bothered...

Edit to add: like the Idles track, and that Tom Robinson album was always on the record player in our 6th form common room in the 70`s.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2019 19:07]

Artists who tackle social issues in their music... on 19:17 - Jan 28 with 238 viewsjanegallagher

We’ve got Simon Sadler

Artists who tackle social issues in their music... on 19:20 - Jan 28 with 236 viewsLala

Every credit Spud! You’re friend wasn’t very gracious

Artists who tackle social issues in their music... on 19:25 - Jan 28 with 232 viewsspudgun

I try to rise above it, Lala.

Only joking about Prince by the way, I do like him. He is welcome here...

Artists who tackle social issues in their music... on 19:31 - Jan 28 with 229 viewsLala

Artists who tackle social issues in their music... on 14:50 - Jan 29 with 212 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Written at the time of the Vietnam War

Artists who tackle social issues in their music... on 15:12 - Jan 29 with 202 viewsspudgun

BBRR: saw Ozzie at the Norbreck Castle (probably late 70`s), stood next to Roy Wood from Wizzard who was watching.

This was possibly one of the first songs whereby I suspected there was a deeper meaning to it.

One for the ladies. Nice teeth...
[Post edited 29 Jan 2019 15:16]

Artists who tackle social issues in their music... on 15:30 - Jan 29 with 195 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Social comment here from the West Coast Osmonds (Graham Nash was born on the west coast, in Blackpool, so it counts)

Artists who tackle social issues in their music... on 22:30 - Jan 29 with 188 viewsLala

Artists who tackle social issues in their music... on 22:42 - Jan 29 with 186 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Simply F*****g Red makes me want to......

Artists who tackle social issues in their music... on 09:25 - Jan 30 with 171 viewsspell_chekker

A song released in 1981 about unemployment.

I suppose it's still 1 in 10 or maybe even worse now - 1 in 8 or something like that could be a new version.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024