Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket 11:36 - Dec 24 with 191 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Anyone else like Cricket?

Just watched the T20 BBL Sydney Sixers vs Sydney Thunder on TV. Seems strange watching cricket on Xmas eve from Australia with a fullish house on a warm evening, as when I look outside now, it looks bloody cold.
[Post edited 24 Dec 2018 13:13]

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Cricket on 12:07 - Dec 24 with 173 viewsokeh_for_some

The weather in Manchester is quite balmy and i’m About 5 mins from Old Trafford CC as we speak. You must be keen, I like my cricket but Aussie BB is one step too far. It must be even stranger having your turkey dinner on Bondi Beach.

Cricket on 13:00 - Dec 24 with 166 viewsLala

You on holiday then Redroom or living there?

Not cold here at all either Okeh ☺️

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

Cricket on 13:08 - Dec 24 with 166 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Jos Buttler was playing for Sydney Thunder.

Enjoy when England tour Australia, New Zealand or South Africa at this time of the year. Means I get just about 24 hrs a day sport with the Cricket, Football and NFL from Xmas Day to past New Year. Have to do with watching Australia vs India this Xmas tho.

Use to be a member of LCCC years ago.

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

Cricket on 13:11 - Dec 24 with 165 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Lala

On the sunny Fylde coast.

I've edited O/P so it makes more sense now (I hope)
[Post edited 24 Dec 2018 13:12]

Cricket on 13:16 - Dec 24 with 156 viewsLala

Get ya 👍

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

Cricket on 14:03 - Dec 24 with 151 viewskophero

Yes, I love it. But that abomination you have been watching isn't cricket

Cricket on 14:22 - Dec 24 with 148 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Kophero

Nah, the real abomination is when the ECB launch the 100, what the hell is that all about??
(I could rant about that for days)

Cricket on 23:02 - Dec 26 with 133 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Xmas day night

10 pm New Zealand v Sri Lanka
11.30 pm Australia v India

Boxing day morning

South Africa v Pakistan
08.30 am

Kept me going through the night

Cricket on 10:58 - Dec 27 with 126 viewsokeh_for_some

What BBRR, a cure for insomnia?

Cricket on 11:26 - Dec 27 with 122 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Okeh

I'm a bit old school when it comes to getting cricket, so still prefer radio to TV. So yeah, Australia v India is not the greatest test, but to hear the Aussie commentators still squirming over Warner, Smith and Bancroft is fun. Also to hear Waddle and Coney in New Zealand, and also the South African broadcasters, still having fun at the Aussies expense is pure gold.

Use to watch the Baseball when it was on Channel 5, then go straight to work, so I'm not as bad as I use to be.

Cricket on 12:17 - Dec 27 with 117 viewsokeh_for_some

BBRR: Must have hit them hard in Aus if they’re still squirming over Warner and Bancroft. Not a classic series by the sound of things, think the Aussie’s surprised themselves by winning the first test. Must admit to be a bit of a sucker for the baseball. I’ve watched a few games into the small hours and try and take in a game whenever I’m in the US, having watched games in NY, Boston, Detroit, Chicago, Tampa and Seattle.

Cricket on 16:41 - Dec 27 with 111 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Okeh

India won 1st test, Australia the 2nd.

My holiday in 2028, will include trips to Wrigley Field, Lambeau Field (Had tickets offered to me for the Packers in the past, but have been unable to go), the Blues Hall of Fame Museum in Memphis and the LA Olympics of 2028.

Cricket on 16:51 - Dec 27 with 108 viewsstu

2028?? That’s what I call forward planning

Tangerine is the new black

Cricket on 17:18 - Dec 27 with 105 viewsokeh_for_some

BBRR: thanks for the correction on the cricket. I heard the Aussies had surprisingly won against the odds, but presumed it was the first test judging by their reaction. Sounds like a wicked holiday plan. I’ve got Nashville and Memphis on a future US to-do list, both music hotbeds. I was fortunate enough to get to the Motown Hall of Fame a couple of years ago. Great if slightly surreal experience.

Cricket on 17:35 - Dec 27 with 102 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Motown, good shout, not a fan of the style, however will do it for the history. Also forgot to mention, Chess Records & Sun Records studios as well.

Cricket on 18:00 - Dec 27 with 99 viewsokeh_for_some

The Motown studio was pretty unreal - the recording studio was about the size of the average living room and there was a chamber cut into the ceiling of another part of the building to produce an echo. Incredible how something so basic could produce something so special. Similar story with Phil Spector’s Wall of Sound. You mentioned some great independent labels the (but forgot Okeh )

Cricket on 18:28 - Dec 27 with 95 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Ahh, OKeH, should have spotted that, my bad. Any idea if their HQ (New York?), is just a faceless Sony corporate building, or has it got a museum? Mamie Smith and The Jazz Hounds, some say the most important recording ever made (After Robert Johnson).

Cricket on 00:30 - Dec 28 with 86 viewsokeh_for_some

BBRR I was in NY in Oct and am kicking myself for not tracking down the studios. For some strange reason my wife seemed more interested in 5th Ave. it was probably the right move as the studios are maybe long gone. Most of Major Lance came out on Okeh - worth a listen to some of his stuff during the tea interval between Aus and India!

Cricket on 05:36 - Dec 28 with 83 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Okeh

Went into Major Lance totally blind on Spotify, about 10 secs in, thought classic Northern Soul, Motown before Motown became popular. Though it's not my genre of music and know zero about it, you can spot the production values and have to say he's got one hell of a voice. (Noticed when I checked wiki, Curtis Mayfield involved).
I really only know of OKeh through early blues/jazz artists, a friends dad who was a big jazz fan, and some later artists like Johnny Guitar Watson.
This might help next time you're in New York

https://foursquare.com/v/okeh-records/4ddd140e814d8413e55fa5be

PS Australia getting stuffed, and what New Zealand are doing to Sri Lanka is just plain cruel, but very funny as well.

Cricket on 20:59 - Dec 28 with 73 viewsokeh_for_some

Nice link BBRR, one to check out the next time we’re in NY. Johnny Watson also had a big record on the Northern Soul scene - ‘Too Late,’ doubling up with Larry Williams. I’m afraid I haven’t been keeping tabs on the cricket but if NZ are tonking Sri Lanka it probably puts our recent series win in perspective.

Cricket on 21:05 - Dec 28 with 68 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

They set Sir Lanka 660 runs to win (Declared at 585/4). At close of play on day 3, Sir Lanka were 24/2.

Cricket on 21:46 - Dec 28 with 63 viewsokeh_for_some

You’ll need to think of something else to watch on Day 5 by the sound of things!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024