Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Class War".... 17:10 - Sep 23 with 278 viewsspudgun

Is Labour`s proposal to abolish private schools by removing their charitable status and redistributing their assets an example of the "class war" that chief advisor Andrew Fisher spoke about in his resignation letter at the weekend?

Or is it a long overdue levelling of the educational playing field?

Does it nudge anyone`s dial in favour of voting Labour?

"Class War".... on 17:16 - Sep 23 with 274 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

The idea that these fee paying schools get charitable status, and the benefits that go with it, for (in some cases) just allowing the local oiks to play on their fields one day a year really is beyond a joke in the 21st century.

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

"Class War".... on 17:26 - Sep 23 with 271 viewsROTTWEILERS

There is one section of society discussing the prospect of a class war whilst the other section is actively engaged in it. I think I've nicked that from somewhere - George Bernard Shaw, I think - but it is very true.

As for the policy, I don't think it's going to get many people's juices flowing. Likewise most of the other stuff that John McDonnell was banging on about today - a 32 hour working week and scrapping of the EU working time directive are just two examples of policies that are well wide of the mark imho

Go Out. See People. Live Your Lives.
Poll: Player of the Season vote

"Class War".... on 17:34 - Sep 23 with 262 viewsBringBackTheRedRoom

Conference speeches should always be taken with a large bag of salt. What matters is what actually goes in the manifesto at election time.

Unless it's the actual governing party, who might use a conference to set out future plans for the next Parliamentary session.

‘Where there is harmony, may we bring discord. Where there is truth, may we bring error. Where there is faith, may we bring doubt. And where there is hope, may we bring despair’

"Class War".... on 18:06 - Sep 23 with 254 viewsLala

It wouldn’t nudge me towards voting for them as a single policy game changer no. Though I’ve never voted Tory either so am still a floating voter.

And I don’t actually understand what the full impact off this is 🤔 don’t really know much about private education and charitable status? Will have a google.

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

"Class War".... on 18:11 - Sep 23 with 253 viewsspell_chekker

I'm all for nationalising vital industries but I'm not sure that private schools fall into that category and that I'd want to get rid of them.

I'd prefer some review of grants, loans, tuition fees, for further education. That's more important for me and having a higher education is becoming elitist.

Apart from the top ones, the run of the mill private schools aren't that great from what I've heard.

They are a business and shouldn't get special status. Parents would have to pay more.

State schools should be as good as possible.

Learning to read clusters is not something your eyes do naturally. It takes constant practice.
Poll: Would you like Wellens as Manager?

"Class War".... on 19:36 - Sep 23 with 246 viewsspudgun

Not much to disagree with there, spell...

"Class War".... on 20:08 - Sep 23 with 243 viewsLala

I think your last sentence is the most important one Spell.

If state education delivers then the rest becomes a lot less relevant.

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

"Class War".... on 21:47 - Sep 23 with 237 viewsImperial

Politicians should come from "the working class"whatever their background or the size of their pay packet.

To be a councillor or an MP should be a vocation not a career in itself.

Only then will they truelly represent the people .

Labour do not represent the working class of today. They have abandoned their roots and disenfranchised many. In some areas of the country they will never be forgiven. They are a party of the south now as much as the Tories are..

"Class War".... on 07:34 - Sep 24 with 217 viewsspudgun

If money wasn`t a defining factor is it natural that any diligent parent should seek to send their children to the school that gives them the best chance of an education, in order to best equip them for life`s challenges?

Even if it was private?

Are we not hot-wired to want the very best for our off-spring?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024