Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPRPOD 09:59 - Sep 20 with 7037 viewsichbinnaughty

Listened this morning.
What worries me is that JFH comes across as very inflexible, tactically.
He makes the point that Chery has been our best player, and as such is harder to drop than others.
However, not once did he talk about trying different systems with different personnel - which would be more suited to exploit other teams in other ways - and in the process, this would indirectly allow other players the opportunity to shine like Chery has.
He doesn't want to play a 4-4-2 because that would mean either putting Chery out wide, or dropping him. And he says that if Chery plays out wide, then he's not so good defensively, so the opposing full back would be told to run at him, put him under pressure, and expose his defensive shortcomings.
SO DROP HIM if the game/opposition requires it.
Get Polter and Sylla up front in a two; and hit them with balls from out wide - and if that means dropping Chery sometimes, so be it.
QPRPOD on 10:05 - Sep 20 with 3957 viewsozexile

Thats exactly what i thought when i listened. If its not working,change it. If he goes to the bench and we start winning then so be it.
QPRPOD on 10:23 - Sep 20 with 3901 viewsichbinnaughty

Also, not much mentioned about defending.
We have Onuoha - a former England U21 player, with quite a bit of Premier LEague experience, plus Steven Caulker - an England cap, Premier League experience; plus Grant Hall, POTY and seemingly well schooled at Spuds, and Joel Lynch, uncompromising and well experienced at this level; not to mention Bidwell out left (same as Lynch.
On paper, a very experienced, capable defensive group - why can't we defend for fckn toffee at the moment?
Why can't we do the basics such as MARKING, reading the game and using the supposed top-level nous to ensure our defenders are in the right positions to snuff out threats - like all top players should do?
Isnt that what separates top players from others? The marrying of ability on the ball, with positional sense and reading the game?

I thought Finney was spot on when he says that Losing is never acceptable, it is never something to prepare for and/or accept.
Damn right.
QPRPOD on 10:36 - Sep 20 with 3874 viewsToast_R

I thought the same as you pretty much. Do you get the feeling JFH is winging it a bit?

He also comes across as a very serious individual. Unlike a Warnock or Holloway - there's seems to be no element of charisma to his personality either. That maybe for a number of reasons for the purpose of this podcast but I do wonder if he is the same with the players when they're together.

I want him to do well for our sake and for his, but having listened to the whole interview - I'm probably more worried then I was.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2016 10:36]
QPRPOD on 10:51 - Sep 20 with 3837 viewsdaveB

I think he'd be mad to drop Cherry. I don't think it's the system or tactics that is the problem, we just can't afford to have 6 or 7 players not play well, if that happens we lose badly and that is what has happened in the last two games. Could play any system you like but need to players to perform and I don't think the tactics are stopping them do that.
QPRPOD on 10:53 - Sep 20 with 3834 viewsDando

I found it a little worrying, like he has no other ideas.

It was good he came on to face the questions, fair play - but I didn't come away and feel any better at all. It sounded to me like he was making excuses. New players, injuries etc. We now have plenty of options available and those injuries are no excuse for playing people in the wrong positions.

As good as Chery is, our team is not performing well at all at the moment and Chery himself is not even getting into games as he and the striker are starved of support. The center midfielders are nowhere near him, and the 2 wingers look uncomfortable out of position and simply cannot supply them with anything.

Not really sure what he is talking about re Washington either. He was talking as if Washington has had chances but has just not scored them. He has had a couple, but is just feeding off lucky scraps. There is simply no creativity or support, surely he can see that
QPRPOD on 11:19 - Sep 20 with 3767 viewsichbinnaughty

QPRPOD on 10:51 - Sep 20 by daveB

I think he'd be mad to drop Cherry. I don't think it's the system or tactics that is the problem, we just can't afford to have 6 or 7 players not play well, if that happens we lose badly and that is what has happened in the last two games. Could play any system you like but need to players to perform and I don't think the tactics are stopping them do that.

Sorry DaveB, but I can't help feeling that that is the trap that JFH has fallen into.
If we played Polter and Sylla up front together, and had a midfield based on bite, energy, dynamism and a progressive mindset (perhaps Cousins and Borysziuk as the central platform); with inventiveness, pace, aggression and industry on the wings = take your pick - Shodipo - deserves all the chances he gets, he's been great coming into the side this season; El Karate down the left; and Ngbakoto and Wszolek down the right.

Until we try that, you can't dismiss it as an option.

Polter and Sylla being fed plenty of ammunition from the wings would certainly make opposing managers think.
QPRPOD on 11:21 - Sep 20 with 3762 viewspaulparker

We cant play to Cherys strengths because we don't have anyone around him to support him , how can we make him the main man when our midfield cant pass forward or make runs into the box ,
our fullbacks don't get forward either because they are not naturally pacy or attack minded, its why we are struggling for goals , chery, Washington/polter are starved of service
you defend and attack as a team , but we are all over the place
we played the same system with Warnock but we had Adel, Routledge, Hogan, Mackie, Smith supporting HH , who do we have now , no one
we cant keep playing the trio of Cousins, Luango , Henry its not working they are all willing runners but they wont get 2 goals between them all season
the only solution we have with these players is to play 4-4-2

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

QPRPOD on 11:24 - Sep 20 with 3750 viewsdaveB

QPRPOD on 11:19 - Sep 20 by ichbinnaughty

Sorry DaveB, but I can't help feeling that that is the trap that JFH has fallen into.
If we played Polter and Sylla up front together, and had a midfield based on bite, energy, dynamism and a progressive mindset (perhaps Cousins and Borysziuk as the central platform); with inventiveness, pace, aggression and industry on the wings = take your pick - Shodipo - deserves all the chances he gets, he's been great coming into the side this season; El Karate down the left; and Ngbakoto and Wszolek down the right.

Until we try that, you can't dismiss it as an option.

Polter and Sylla being fed plenty of ammunition from the wings would certainly make opposing managers think.

I agree the midfield needs to change and would go with Polish fella and Cousins or Luongo with more pace and energy out wide but if we do that then Cherry would still be a key player to link it all together and we'd be better with him than without him.
Login to get fewer ads

QPRPOD on 11:36 - Sep 20 with 3715 viewsQPRski

If Chery was injured, I would put Luongo in the no.10 slot. It is a position that he plays well and regularly scores for Australia.

Thus, if Chery was out of form, or needed resting, it is a viable option. In fact , I would be very pleased to see him play that position against Sunderland (note: Borysiuk and Sandro would do fine in the defensive midfield position).

Thus, dropping Chery is an option.
QPRPOD on 11:40 - Sep 20 with 3704 viewsichbinnaughty

QPRPOD on 11:36 - Sep 20 by QPRski

If Chery was injured, I would put Luongo in the no.10 slot. It is a position that he plays well and regularly scores for Australia.

Thus, if Chery was out of form, or needed resting, it is a viable option. In fact , I would be very pleased to see him play that position against Sunderland (note: Borysiuk and Sandro would do fine in the defensive midfield position).

Anyone is droppable.

I hope we're not going to become as stupid as England are with Rooney.
QPRPOD on 11:53 - Sep 20 with 3664 viewsdaveB

QPRPOD on 11:36 - Sep 20 by QPRski

of course anyone can be dropped but I think Cherry is playing pretty well this season, only one who looks like scoring so for me we need to fix problems around him rather than drop him.
QPRPOD on 11:55 - Sep 20 with 3661 viewsrsonist

Frustrating occasion all in all.

The pod asked all the right questions... among themselves, after JFH had left. I appreciate it's really not about getting into a shouting match ranting at your guest but if Chery on the wing "exposes us", and Chery and others supporting the striker more and defending less is "a dangerous game" where "you lose somewhere else" on the pitch then the opportunity was there to say what everyone was thinking and query just what his solution is in that case.

Based on this I have to say I don't hold out much hope at all that JFH really gets or will eventually get the issues with the team. Lack of width, lack of pace in transition, lack of support to the striker, lack of variety in our play. That he sees the only change necessary after Newcastle game as more "determination, and getting closer to people, and being more in their faces" is just not good enough. Mike Bassett stuff.

I don't know who bothered asking things like "how crucial is Polter to the way we play" "what's Washington's confidence like", "what's the Sandro situation". Isn't it fcking obvious?

Congratulations also to the media team for getting "Tell us what as fans we should be excited about on and off the pitch?" and "What do you think is different and unique about QPR" in there. Cunning stuff lads, you're worth every penny.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2016 11:57]
QPRPOD on 12:03 - Sep 20 with 3636 viewsichbinnaughty

QPRPOD on 11:55 - Sep 20 by rsonist

Frustrating occasion all in all.

The pod asked all the right questions... among themselves, after JFH had left. I appreciate it's really not about getting into a shouting match ranting at your guest but if Chery on the wing "exposes us", and Chery and others supporting the striker more and defending less is "a dangerous game" where "you lose somewhere else" on the pitch then the opportunity was there to say what everyone was thinking and query just what his solution is in that case.

Based on this I have to say I don't hold out much hope at all that JFH really gets or will eventually get the issues with the team. Lack of width, lack of pace in transition, lack of support to the striker, lack of variety in our play. That he sees the only change necessary after Newcastle game as more "determination, and getting closer to people, and being more in their faces" is just not good enough. Mike Bassett stuff.

I don't know who bothered asking things like "how crucial is Polter to the way we play" "what's Washington's confidence like", "what's the Sandro situation". Isn't it fcking obvious?

Congratulations also to the media team for getting "Tell us what as fans we should be excited about on and off the pitch?" and "What do you think is different and unique about QPR" in there. Cunning stuff lads, you're worth every penny.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2016 11:57]

I've got agree - the "What do you think is different and unique about QPR" was just simply a door opener to a pointless segment where some people can sit, listen to it, and rub their nether regions.

Ask the hard questions (forgive the pun).
Performances and recent results are not good enough.

JFH had a full pre-season to integrate players, and drill them all on his preferred approach/style:
- high pressing = where was it? Oh they were tired by Preston
- Improve fitness = again, where is it? They're tired already?!
- build on solid foundations/keep it tight = we've conceded LOADS of goals already (6, 3, 2, 2, etc)
- develop "our own style of play" = what is it? I'll be farked if I can tell

Fair play to Jimmy for going on - but these are the questions that everyone wants answered.
QPRPOD on 12:04 - Sep 20 with 3634 viewsDejR_vu

If he's saying that he can't drop Chery because he's been his best player then he's falling in to the trap of picking players rather than a team. Even if he he's right (although I'm not even convinced that is the case based upon Preston, Blackburn and Newcastle; difficult to find anyone that has played well in those, his goal apart) you can't set a team up to accommodate him if the team as a whole is struggling. Surely, managers are paid to make difficult decisions if it's in the best interests of the team as a whole. He does seem incredibly slow/reluctant to make changes. Knee-jerks are no good, but surely when something hasn't been working for a while, you don't just keep going again, you have to do something to try and turn things around?

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

QPRPOD on 12:04 - Sep 20 with 3633 viewsrsonist

QPRPOD on 10:36 - Sep 20 by Toast_R

I thought the same as you pretty much. Do you get the feeling JFH is winging it a bit?

He also comes across as a very serious individual. Unlike a Warnock or Holloway - there's seems to be no element of charisma to his personality either. That maybe for a number of reasons for the purpose of this podcast but I do wonder if he is the same with the players when they're together.

I want him to do well for our sake and for his, but having listened to the whole interview - I'm probably more worried then I was.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2016 10:36]

As reflected in the team since Barnsley, I get the impression JFH has a tendency to clam up and get defensive when pressed. He's not uncharismatic the rest of the time - certainly brightened up a million percent when asked about tea or coffee.

The revelation that it's green tea in the mug after all kind of sums up his tenure here really though doesn't it.
QPRPOD on 12:18 - Sep 20 with 3574 viewsR_from_afar

Good points.

Have a look at Huddersfield's two goals again, if you can bear it. They are down to poor marking and slow, ineffective closing down, neither of which can be blamed on systems or personnel. The manager shouldn't be blamed for the players failing to get the basics right.

What he does need to do is sit them down and tell them that there is collective responsibility (coaching staff and players), as part of which, the players need to not only stick to the plan but stay alert for the whole game, put in maximum effort and do the basics right.

If a professional player needs to be nagged by his manager to block crosses, he is a disgrace, frankly.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

QPRPOD on 12:27 - Sep 20 with 3543 viewsMonkey_Roots

ONE MONTH IN.

Short sightedness is what'll see us f*ck it all up all over again.

Some of you don't deserve for this to work out — you talk about being happy with us rebuilding, but your mindset is definitely still stuck in 'instant results' that the money was supposed to bring us.

Personally, I can take the baby steps forwards, the steps backwards and the falls along the way, thats what I as a fan signed up for after seeing how far off course we had gone over the past few years, i'm well happy with Les, Hoos, and giving Jimmy time to make it work — it won't happen overnight, and it may not happen at all, but the club is setting itself up right, doing all the things that make me feel like we are getting back to the kind of club I grew up watching — the signings are the kind of signings that give me hope that we've got a long-term plan to build a way of playing, developing the players to eventually sell them on and in the process work towards a kick at promotion over the few years. Is it working yet? No — but we know the style of play that he wants us to play, pretty much all of us like the style that Jimmy wants us to adopt, but its taking longer than expected, still thats okay because we all want stability and are happy to wait aren't we?

Are we f*ck. Get in Wagner, Warburton, Clement or anyone else who will talk the talk because they'll definitely deliver, won't they?

Give it until christmas before getting the pitchforks out, put your money where you mouth is and give it time to build and develop.

Poll: Will we stay up?

QPRPOD on 12:39 - Sep 20 with 3508 viewsichbinnaughty

QPRPOD on 12:27 - Sep 20 by Monkey_Roots

ONE MONTH IN.

Some of you don't deserve for this to work out — you talk about being happy with us rebuilding, but your mindset is definitely still stuck in 'instant results' that the money was supposed to bring us.

Personally, I can take the baby steps forwards, the steps backwards and the falls along the way, thats what I as a fan signed up for after seeing how far off course we had gone over the past few years, i'm well happy with Les, Hoos, and giving Jimmy time to make it work — it won't happen overnight, and it may not happen at all, but the club is setting itself up right, doing all the things that make me feel like we are getting back to the kind of club I grew up watching — the signings are the kind of signings that give me hope that we've got a long-term plan to build a way of playing, developing the players to eventually sell them on and in the process work towards a kick at promotion over the few years. Is it working yet? No — but we know the style of play that he wants us to play, pretty much all of us like the style that Jimmy wants us to adopt, but its taking longer than expected, still thats okay because we all want stability and are happy to wait aren't we?

Are we f*ck. Get in Wagner, Warburton, Clement or anyone else who will talk the talk because they'll definitely deliver, won't they?

Give it until christmas before getting the pitchforks out, put your money where you mouth is and give it time to build and develop.

Again, in the words of Finney on the podcast, "is rebuilding a byword for 'putting up with shyte'?"??

Like it or not, this squad has had money spent on it, it also has one or two legacy members from our spending days. We SHOULD be better than we are.
QPRPOD on 12:42 - Sep 20 with 3502 viewsDejR_vu

ONE MONTH IN.

Bit of an overreaction. Where are the calls to get someone else in on this thread? Just a few posters discussing the podcast. It is a forum.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

QPRPOD on 12:50 - Sep 20 with 3461 viewsDando

ONE MONTH IN.

I think people are just starting to get tired of seeing the same thing and asking the same questions week in week out.

Sometimes its worth showing that you are trying something new to try and help matters. I'm all for giving JFH time, but don't think we are making anywhere near the most of a decent squad which is frustrating to see keep repeating itself. If the team is set up to play a bit more positively, I'm sure the fans will get off their seats and create more noise and support
QPRPOD on 12:53 - Sep 20 with 3444 viewsdaveB

QPRPOD on 12:39 - Sep 20 by ichbinnaughty

Again, in the words of Finney on the podcast, "is rebuilding a byword for 'putting up with shyte'?"??

Like it or not, this squad has had money spent on it, it also has one or two legacy members from our spending days. We SHOULD be better than we are.

of course we should be better than we have been in the last 3 games but it doesn't take much for a crisis at QPR. 2 below average performances in tight games and one very poor performance and we're back to childish nicknames of the manager and everything is crap again.

I fully expect JFH to be sacked within a month as the louder ones will demand change next time we lose which is bound to happen in the next month.
QPRPOD on 12:55 - Sep 20 with 3437 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I thought it was positive overall and we should be careful not to worry ourselves into picking the negatives out of it.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

QPRPOD on 12:57 - Sep 20 with 3424 viewsozranger

I've listened to it today and I must say I am, with others, a little concerned. The comment about Chery having to move to a wing if we go to 4-4-2 raises, for me at least, an interesting question. That is, why do we require two defensive midfields? This is what JFH believes, based on his answering to the questions. If we were to play one only and a diamond midfield, as do many teams, then Chery can be on the top. Strangely, this would also allow us to have a tighter midfield with the wingers drawn in. However, it also relies on two full-backs working up the wings.. something we are struggling to have. Perhaps Luongo would fit into this mould better, given he is the leading tackler of the team - that is, he could defend as well when required.

If you do want two defensive-style midfielders, then get two box-to-box players, like Luongo when he is not sick and, perhaps Cousins.
QPRPOD on 12:59 - Sep 20 with 3416 viewsSimonJames

As Clive says "We all, relatively, know nothing of football tactics and formations. Nor do we know who’s playing well in training,..." but I think I'd like to see how well Chery could play a midfield role with BFG and Sylla/Washington up front.

100% of people who drink water will die.

QPRPOD on 13:06 - Sep 20 with 3387 viewsR_from_afar

QPRPOD on 12:55 - Sep 20 by BrianMcCarthy

I thought it was positive overall and we should be careful not to worry ourselves into picking the negatives out of it.

Come on Brian, you know that's not how we roll around here!

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024